• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Elderly Brahmans support group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am planning to start a company in Chennai in another 6-8 months timeframe after I return to India. One thing I feel which is an issue are the elderly parents of Brahmans working out of TN or India who are not getting enough support. The children have a bright future abroad and yet are anxious about parents. The company can be structured as a trust with the following operations:

a. Establish a head office in Chennai, with branches in Tiruchirapalli, Madurai and Bengaluru within the first 2 years. Thoroughly networked using VOIP and broadband with a portal web page protected by a username/password.

b. Provide a facility on the portal for each son/daughter to register their Brahman parents living in or near these cities with all contact details including relatives and friends, neighbors and their phone numbers, addresses, and medical details. These details will be known only to the user and a couple of trusted people in the company.

c. The company will check up on each elderly parent by visiting each of them at least twice a week and calling them a couple of times a day to see if they need anything including assistance with shopping, visits to temples or functions in the city, computer assistance with email, Skype video conferencing, and bill payment for utilities like phones, cable, electricity etc.

d. The company will arrange informational seminars and religious discourses and will provide to and fro transportation to major events happening in each city on a monthly basis. This will allow people to meet other parents and discuss issues of common interests and develop more awareness.

e. The company will be a reliable and trustworthy point of contact in the case of any emergency or problem. The office will be open 24 hours a day, and will have at least some persons with a security background (retired army personnel), a law background and a medical background. All employees will undergo a rigorous background check and will be randomly monitored and disciplined or dismissed if any violations occur. They can provide accompaniment to hospitals and verify if proper treatment is being administered. Also, they can help with visa and insurance arrangements and airport pick/up dropoff and customs if the parents go abroad for visits.

f. If any repairs or house work is to be performed, the company will negotiate and monitor contractors at work. The company can also provide trusted plumbers, electricians, gardeners, housemaids, vegetarian cooks, nurses etc on demand.

In short, the company will take care of most of the hassles of everyday life because of poor infrastructure and dishonest people everywhere in India. And also provide a support network, and a gathering place for parents, allowing them to live at home in peace knowing that they just have to pick up the phone to get trustworthy help. A community center will allow parents to volunteer to teach poor Brahman children in the city on Sundays, or help them with arts and music and other traditions. It will also make the parents feel they are contributing to passing on their traditions, and give them a sense of self-worth.

If a parent were to fall very sick or have an accident, daily monitoring will be done with status updates on the web portal with names and phone number of doctors, the hospital, their qualifications, the prescriptions they write and such to keep them honest. Emergency cash will be disbursed by the company for such purposes. Or if the parent were to get into a dispute over a bill, or with a contractor or with an item under warranty, the company will act to defend their interests. All activities performed by the company employees will be logged under each user on the portal along with updated photos, and details like scanned bills, prescriptions etc.

Costwise I think something like this can be setup for a base fee of $50/month which should take care of maintaining the web portal, community center, and operating costs. Actual costs incurred for any personal assistance or transportation etc can be billed at the rate of $10/hour. So the total monthly cost could range from $100/month for a healthy parents to $500-600/month for parents requiring daily monitoring. Wonder if something like this would be of interest to the wider community. It would require at least 1000 clients to break even.

This is a very good idea. I would definitely subscribe to this for my parents who live in Bangalore.

Here are some points to keep in mind -

* I think you will find a lot of Brahmins in Silicon Valley and nearabouts wherein you have the best probability of attaining the breakeven critical mass of "1000"
* So maybe you should concentrate your initial advertising efforts there.
* Once you have that and it can take off, you will be in a better position to market to the rest of the Brahmins in the US.

Elderly Brahmans support group - Reply thread

Dear Shri.Mrifan,

[I am planning to start a company in Chennai in another 6-8 months timeframe after I return to India. One thing I feel which is an issue are the elderly parents of Brahmans working out of TN or India who are not getting enough support. The children have a bright future abroad and yet are anxious about parents.]

I have been also thinking and discussing with like minded on the same lines. But the atmosphere is not conducive for an open discussion. Your mail is with full of details and I am taking only the above four lines for my immediate views. This is very important and needs high priority. Every one us has hail from any one of the villages from TN. So I think we have to start our thinking from there. Need we all go back to villages? Not exactly; but the very thinking gives you closeness to some small group and security. We as a community have to start thinking Whether to go for individual winning or let others also share the joy of participation to bring piece and true love in to our community? This to be addressed in respective small groups. Classifications of group can be determined on an actual requirement basis.

GURUMURTHYJI

Dear Mr. Gurumurthy,

I did not understand your post at all. For that matter, I find it hard to understand most of your posts. I know that there is value in what you are posting. For the sake of people like me, do you mind writing in simple English ?

Please avoid use of complex clauses and phrases. You can also write in Tamil if that is easier for you.

Thanks

Elderly Brahmans support group - Reply thread

Dear Mr.Vaylan

If you can write your posts like this....................................................................

One must also keep in mind that the Hindu way of life has been predominantly pastoral/rural since ancient times and even the Hindu value systems revolve around venerating the Cow , ( Kamadhenu, Nandini, etc ) . There is a good reason to believe this Cow-veneration has its origins as a religio-social construct based on exalting the prevailing way of life.

No, it's not casteist per se. However, just given the realities of our socio-political milieu, it is bound to raise hackles.
On the other hand, if the discussions are civil and non-inflammatory, it might be a productive discussion.

Guys, these kinds of discussions cannot lead to anything fruitful for any of us. I kindly request all honorable members to focus on matters that will result in all communities moving forward, resulting in our nation moving forward.

Divisive discourses and discussions will lead to derision and destructive directions - excuse my impromptu attempt at rhyming verse

Is it really difficult for you to understand my english.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GURUMURTHYJI

Dear Sri Gurumurthyji,

It is unclear why you are writing this message as a response to Vaylan's query. You were asked for a simpler form of explanation. Writing in huge font does not make your message any clearer. So please avoid the use of such big fonts.

MrIfan started this thread discussing the creation of a home for the elderly. Why have you written about caste and cows? What was so unproductive about this thread and what gives you the impression that we are not moving forward by indulging in this discussion?

I didn't see anything divisive in this thread except for your posting.

And yes, it is quite difficult to understand your English.

Dear Mr.Vaylan

If you can write your posts like this....................................................................

One must also keep in mind that the Hindu way of life has been predominantly pastoral/rural since ancient times and even the Hindu value systems revolve around venerating the Cow , ( Kamadhenu, Nandini, etc ) . There is a good reason to believe this Cow-veneration has its origins as a religio-social construct based on exalting the prevailing way of life.

No, it's not casteist per se. However, just given the realities of our socio-political milieu, it is bound to raise hackles.
On the other hand, if the discussions are civil and non-inflammatory, it might be a productive discussion.

Guys, these kinds of discussions cannot lead to anything fruitful for any of us. I kindly request all honorable members to focus on matters that will result in all communities moving forward, resulting in our nation moving forward.

Divisive discourses and discussions will lead to derision and destructive directions - excuse my impromptu attempt at rhyming verse

Is it really difficult for you to understand my english.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GURUMURTHYJI

Elderly Brahmans support group Reply to Thread

Dear chintana ji,

That post was written some time during october. I think some distrubances like un polite writings were there at that time. All I wanted to convey was to be polite and understand each other. o.k. that is all I remember now. Now for some personal reasons I am unable to see or write as I really wanted. I think I will be alright soon. Since then bear with me.

gurumurthyji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back