• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sandhyavandanam and Argya Pradaanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My humble obeisance to the learned.

I'm a Telugu, Smarta Niyogi Brahmin and would like to know if at times when we are unable to perform the complete sandhyavandanam, Is there a procedure to perform only Surya Arghya pradaanam only ?
The reason I ask this is, is because, sometimes due to situations out of my control, I don't find time to do the complete sandhyavanadanam, but would hate to not do it. I know one of the important portions and must in the argya pradaanam, and that every living being on earth is greatly indebted to the Sun lord as he is the pratyasha daivata.

I humbly request the learned and wise in this forum to kindly throw some light on this.

Regards,
Raja

Dear Raja,

I understand your concern, and I was a in a similar situation. But I made time. Prioritizing other activities. See what is the top 10 activities you are interested in. Establishing a morning routine goes a long way in your productivity for the day. I switch off TV and never switch on during most weekdays. My priorities are doing Sandhyavandanam, Office, Attending to homework of kid, Spending time with family, talking, Exercise. Eating a simple plant based whole food. Having fruits and not having any junk food. Food, meditation, fitness are all related. If we are eating a very healthy food automatically I have more energy to do Sandhyavandanamams. Doing SV regularly helps me focus and more of other things. It’s a cycle.

My goal this year is to chant SriRudram/Chamakam and Sukhtams also on a regular basis in addition to Vishnu sahasranamam.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply to my query.
I agree with all that you have said 100%. I must tell you, I'm in the same boat and we have reduced TV time to almost none. I have made some significant progress when I follow these rituals and I'll keep trying my best to keep up the routine.

I have another followup question; I do Sandhyavandanam in the morning 6:30-7:00, followed by Shodasa upachara puja 7-7:30 and then I leave for office. When I come back home its 6:30 - 7:00PM in Summer I again do Sandhyavandam but during winter its already night by then. How do you manage in such situations ? when its already night ?

Hi Raja,

I would like to know whether you are following Telegu patthadhi of Sandyavanthana ( as me a telegu niyogi following the same). It is a little shorter when we compare the other variations available. First of all my wishes for your mindset of not avoiding sandhyavanthana. I do sail in the same boat of yours. these are the few ideas that i can share. If you find it useful , give a try.

1. morning 6.30 - 7 - morning sandhyavanthana holds good. you can also do the maadhyanikam immediately following morning sandhyavanthana.

2. This may be a odd tip but i follow . I bought a new pet bottle and kept it in my office locker. I will always keep that empty. During noon while taking a break , i fill that with water, with the bottle in my hands i recite (within mind) the argya pradhana portion and pour that on a plant in my office and face sun. This may be a bizarre idea, but i make sure i am not using that water bottle for any other purpose.

3.There is an option that was told to me by an elder. you can do only the mantra recitation at the right times . In sankalpam just change "Sandhyam upasisye " to "Sandhyam Manthra patanam karishye". After that just go through the manthras in order without any activities. This itself will give you full results of doing regular santhyavanthanam. I also like to state this is only a way if you are not in a position to do sandhyavanthana and this is not a permanent replacement.

4. Regarding your question on doing it night. As far as you are performing "kala - atheetha prayaschita argyam" you are fine to do the santhyavanthanam at night also.

One request from myside , is try to squeeze in Brahma yagna also into daily routine. it will not take more than 10 minutes to complete in the shortest form.

Request you to take only the good thing in the post and leave anything that is not good.

Thanks,
Arun M

Sir,
Could you please guide me as to the direction for doing evening sandhyavandanam.
I have seen a video which shows west direction .
And I have also read in a book that it sould be North for Achamanam, Angavandanam etc.
Please help me clear the confusion.

My humble obeisance to the learned.

I'm a Telugu, Smarta Niyogi Brahmin and would like to know if at times when we are unable to perform the complete sandhyavandanam, Is there a procedure to perform only Surya Arghya pradaanam only ?
The reason I ask this is, is because, sometimes due to situations out of my control, I don't find time to do the complete sandhyavanadanam, but would hate to not do it. I know one of the important portions and must in the argya pradaanam, and that every living being on earth is greatly indebted to the Sun lord as he is the pratyasha daivata.

I humbly request the learned and wise in this forum to kindly throw some light on this.

Regards,
Raja

"arghyapradaanam" is one part or component of Sandhyaavandanam (SV); gAyatree japam (GJ) is also an equally important part, AFAIK. These two have to be done together, in the manner in which the rishi or AcArya for one's particular 'sootra' has prescribed it to be done. There is no "shortcut" prescribed for these, nor for the number of times the gAyatree is to be repeated in the GJ.

I think you are all doing both SV &GJ because you believe what the ancients have prescribed for brahmins (Kshatriyas & Vaisyas as well). The same ancient seers have said without any trace of doubt that if the arghya of brahmins does not reach the sooryamaNDala after getting transformed as vajrAyudhas, the rAkshasas known as "mandEhas" will conquer the sun and imprison him, with the result that the sun will never rise again and it will be the end of the world.

Modern science may say that SV &GJ have nothing to do with the rising and setting of the sun, and that actually, it is the earth which rotates from west to east resulting in a sun rising and setting. Since brahmins (like you) are guided by what our ancient sages/rishis have laid down and not by what modern scientists say, I feel it will be a sacrilege to find out any kind of "short cuts" in the performance of SV, GJ or any other vaideeka karma. Such a self-contrived short-cut will tantamount to absolutely disrespecting our venerable rishis/ AcAryas and will be sins only, I feel.

I am a doctor and for several years I did not perform sandhyavandanam for self assumed 'lack of time'. Now since last 3 months I am making conscious effort to do at least pratha sandhyavandanam . If we prioritize and wake up 15 min prior to usual time we can definitely do. It has rejuvenated me and given a positive attitude towards my daily routine. Shri ranganathaya namaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back