• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Owl seeing in day light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell is there any significance if we spot an OWL during day time. Many say OWL seeing during day time means death of a relative or bad oman etc.,, is there any significance attached to this?
Reg,
Sri simha

15/ 20 days back,in the evening time, while walking on a suburban road in Chennai, I saw a group of 4 or 5 persons standing around. One of the persons, was holding an OWL in his hands and others were strangely looking at it.
As per your statement, I have seen the OWL during day time. I am yet to hear any bad news about the death of any of the relatives.

I thought that it was a bad time for the OWL being caught by people,who knows they might have had it a prey for the night.

Today an owl usually symbolizes wisdom and learning, and we welcome owls because they help control pests. But throughout history, an owl was often an unwanted guest that brought a feeling of doom. Others saw good qualities in owls and considered them good luck.

From ancient times owls have been seen as bad omens, signals that death is imminent. This is probably because the owl prowls unseen at night, attacking small animals and birds. This is a fairly universal theme, found in cultures around the world, including Native Americans, Greeks, Romans and Western Europeans. Nicknames such as “bird of death” (Hungary), “the birds who snatches away souls” (China), and “night ravens (Europe) reflected this belief.

In some ancient Greek sculptures, the goddess Athena is holding a small brown owl. Athena was the goddess of wisdom, fertility, the arts and warfare. The owl pictured with her symbolized wisdom, a positive attribute.
In Buddhism, the owl represents the solitude needed for meditation.

The owl has been considered everything from a bad omen to a good luck charm. Some thought of it as the bird who snatches away souls, while others considered it a way to cure diseases. Whatever the belief, owls have been a part of folklore and legend in nearly every culture.

Superstition and ignorance is there throughout the entire world.

No ullu banaoing. What an Idea, Sirjee!’

Idea Cellular’s new campaign by Lowe Lintas projects internet service as an information tool with which you can beat the cons

It is a known that people get cheated easily in India – while travelling or even in their own city or town. Most people talk more than their actions. Idea feels that with the help of mobile internet it is now easy to catch such frauds.

http://www.bestmediainfo.com/2014/02/no-ullu-banaoing-what-an-idea-sirjee/

It is believed that Owls carry extreme healing powers for some Native American tribes, they also see in the dark, and it's believed that they aid us in seeing through deception either in others or oneself, they are also a symbol for wisdom in many cultures. Think of the wise owl in many children's stories, even Winnie the Pooh had one. If you are personally drawn to owls or they to you, then most likely you have owl as your personal medicine or spirit guide. In that case seeing and/or hearing the owl will very rarely be a negative omen but more a reminder to look for deception in yourself or others and bring healing to your situation. Although answer 1 is correct, some Native American tribes like the Apache for instance see them as bad omens. It could very much depend on where you live and what you were taught and now what you choose to believe.

In today's world, we have learned that most of these owl superstitions are just stories, born in a time when people were fearful and trying to find answers to their lives and environment.

• Not all superstitions were bad. Owls were also believed to bring good fortune in some cultures. An Afghanistan legend states that it was the owl that presented humans with flint and iron so they could make fire. In exchange, man gave owls their feathers.
  • The Aborigines of Australia believe that owls are the spirits of women and are therefore sacred, while in Brittany is was a good sign to see an owl on the way to the harvest as it meant that it would be a good yield that year.
  • The owl is a symbol of guidance and help by the Inuits of Greenland, while the people of Indonesia saw them as wise beings using the owl's different calls to determine whether to travel or not.

http://www.owls.com/owls_superstition.html

Like Owls Fox is also associated with superstitions but not with bad sentiments Fox face is for fortune

The following musings on நரி. மதுரை has a location called நரி மேடு . This area is associated with the story of மணிக்கவாசகர். He was asked to buy Horses(பரி) for the army by the Pandian King and he built a temple in ஆவுடயார் கோவில் with this money. On returning to Madurai when King asked about the horse he prayed to god and all the நரி of this area became பரி ! and he paraded them to the King and thus his life was saved.
There is a place நரிமணம் near Nagapattinam (where ONGC has an oil filed ) Why this name I do not know Is it because you can smell நரி there?

நரி is thought to be cunning. Remember the story of காக்கா நரி வடை ? அதிர்ஷ்டம் is associated with நரி ! நரி முகத்ல முழிக்கறது நரி வால etc are considered lucky! நரி குறவர் basically earned their lively hood hunting நரி I remember an old hit அய்யா சாமி ஆவேஜி சாமி ! நாரிகொம்பு வாங்கலியோ ? Was it Padmini who did this dance?

Here is the video of 'that' song, J J Ji!

ayyA sAmi AvOji sAmi

An interesting note about this song - Source:
Blast from the past: Ore Iravu (1951)

''Ore Iravu had many songs and in true AVM fashion, a dance drama “Shiv-Shakthi”. The dancers were Lalitha-Padmini,''

and Kumari Kamala (‘Baby' Kamala, now a young woman!). It had a Tamil folk dance (Kurathi dance) too. Interestingly

for this dance, a song rendered by M. L. Vasanthakumari, “Ayya Sami.. avoji sami..ayya rayyaa vayyaa you come ayaa.!”,

adapted from a popular Hindi film song, “Gorey...gorey...”, was used and it turned out to be a hit. The dancer was a noted

starlet — Lakshmikantham.''

Two years back, an owl visited our garden for about half an hour! I was a bit scared but my sister in law told me not to

worry because owl is Goddess Lakshmi's vahanam! I took a video of that owl and sent to all my relatives and friends.
Wow! It could turn its head almost to 360 degrees! :clap2:

2644721.jpg

Source: Google images

I feel the Pareses of Bombay seems to have some link with நரி Two of them I remember distinctly One is Nariman on whose remembrance there is Nariman Point. Other is our Test opener of previous era- Nari Contractor Remember he was hit on the head facing a speed delivery before helmets were in vogue in test against West indies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back