• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do Hindu Married Women need to wear Thali only made of Turmeric Saradu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

(மஞ்சள் கயிறு)

With changing times and varying needs of Hindu working women, especially in the metropolis, who are no longer stay-home wives, the concept of wearing a mangalsutra has changed visibly; Rarely does a Hindu working woman don a mangalsutra over her office Dress;

Most working Hindu women do prefer Gold Chain instead of Turmeric Thread, because Turmeric Thread gets worn out from time to time; ( also the color of the Thread does not match with their Dress!!) I see nowadays only old orthodox married Hindu women Hindus still wearing Thali using Mangalya Saradu, (Turmeric Thread)

Members Please share your views on this without
criticizing Mangala Dharana Mantram Recited at the time of Tying Thali.

Last edited:

(மஞ்சள் கயிறு)

With changing times and varying needs of Hindu working women, especially in the metropolis, who are no longer stay-home wives, the concept of wearing a mangalsutra has changed visibly; Rarely does a Hindu working woman don a mangalsutra over her office Dress;

Most working Hindu women do prefer Gold Chain instead of Turmeric Thread, because Turmeric Thread gets worn out from time to time; ( also the color of the Thread does not match with their Dress!!) I see nowadays only old orthodox married Hindu women Hindus still wearing Thali using Mangalya Saradu, (Turmeric Thread)

Members Please share your views on this without
criticizing Mangala Dharana Mantram Recited at the time of Tying Thali.

Fearing chain snatching many Hindu working women wear covering " Thali"

I think the thali itself is a symbol of male chauvinism. Why is a thali necessary at all? All tribal customs and practices can be done away with.

Please note that I have not criticized the mantra.

I think the thali itself is a symbol of male chauvinism. Why is a thali necessary at all? All tribal customs and practices can be done away with.

Please note that I have not criticized the mantra.

OP is not about doing away with Thali,Majority of Hindus would not accept.

OP is about changing Mangalaya Saradu with Gold Chain or any other Chain, whether this practice is acceptable?

OP is about changing Mangalaya Saradu with Gold Chain or any other Chain, whether this practice is acceptable?
Acceptable to who?

From what I have heard from elders, it is not advisable to change the saradu with gold or any other. Hence the practice is not acceptable.

Of course, when the saradu can be done away with, what could possibly prevent the modern woman from doing away with the chain also, at some point in their thinking. :)

Acceptable to whole Hindu Married women Community

Let the doubt raiser ask his wife to remove Thali, and see whether she accepts his proposal

Whatever said and done..the turmeric thread looks unattractive especially on a sweaty thick fat neck..its collects dirt too from time to time till it is changed and its not to mention a fashion disaster!

At least a gold chain or a chain of any kind makes it look attractive for females who still want to wear their thali.

Other states of India have mangalsutras that are more attractive ..its high time TN upgrades their designs. Change the chains to some crystal types and have a cute center piece instead of the usual Mc Donalds "M" shaped design.

Acceptable to whole Hindu Married women Community

Let the doubt raiser ask his wife to remove Thali, and see whether she accepts his proposal

So if we pose a question in the thread I have to bring it to personal level? When I asked a similar question in an earlier thread (Shika) you ran to the moderator as a personal attack.
Hindu Married women Community
Where this group exist?
Not all Hindu community have Thali.

Whatever said and done..the turmeric thread looks unattractive especially on a sweaty thick fat neck..its collects dirt too from time to time till it is changed and its not to mention a fashion disaster!

At least a gold chain or a chain of any kind makes it look attractive for females who still want to wear their thali.

Other states of India have mangalsutras that are more attractive ..its high time TN upgrades their designs. Change the chains to some crystal types and have a cute center piece instead of the usual Mc Donalds "M" shaped design.
hi renu

lol....

This Question was raised in this Forum some five years back and answers given there is worth reading again

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=5422

Although different view points were expressed in that thread, I appreciate Sri saidevo's
answer because there is complete logic in his explanation

This was the question posted

I want to place a query regarding the kodi (chain) in which the mangalyam is worn.Most of the working women today do not wear the manjal kayaru and the thali is worn in a thick chain.At present there are lot of chain snatching incidents and some of my close relatives have been victims.So i want to know if we can buy a chain with lots of black beads and little gold like the noth indians and wear the mangalyam in it.I s it ok to wear black beads?

bhavana

I believe that Sri saidevo's answer then still holds good for this Thread also :

namaste everyone.

I wonder why advice on such sensitive issues that should normally come from family elders, prohits and sages is sought here in this forum!

• We can easily prefer to say that there is no significance for 'tAli', but would a religious Christian say the same thing about their wedding ring, however liberated he/she is? Wedding rings are not mentioned in the Bible, but the custom of wearing them originated in ancient Rome, and this custom is honoured in symbolism and significance till date. In the same way, tAli, which is known as mangala-sUtra in Sanskrit, may have no reference in the Shruti, but the custom of wearing it originated in the Hindu tradition during the 6th century CE, so this time-revered custom should be honoured, in significance and symbolism.

KAnchi ParamAchArya has given some details about tAli:

• the name tAli, which is the sacred pendant--padakam, made of gold and added to the mangala sUtra--holy thread of a Hindu woman when she is married, came from the saMskRta word 'tAli' for the plam tree and leaf.

• In the olden days when our ancestors gave us a life of simplicity, a woman's tATangkaH--ear-ring, and the mangala padakam--sacred pendant on her neck--her important chinna--symbols, of saumangalya--auspiciousness, were both made of tAli, that is, the plam leaf. This is the reason for the custom of calling even a diamond stud 'vaira Olai'--diamond leaf.

• Goddess AmbikA herself is spoken of as "tAlI palAsha tATangkAm (verse 6)"--wearing only a cut palm leaf for her tAli and a rolled one for her tATangka, in the 'shyAmala navaratna mAlA'.

• There are many nyAya vachanas--logical sayings, that have come to us from the ancestors. One such saying is the 'kAkatAlIya-nyAyaH' which says that a palm fruit fell down just as a crow sat on its branch. This has an equivalent proverb in Tamil too: "kAkkai uTkAra panampazham vizhu~ndadu".

There are many links that give some good information about the history and significance of the mangala-sUtra. Some of them are:

A Brief Study on the Significance of Thaali among the Tamils
The Hub :: View topic - A Brief Study on the Significance of Thaali among the Tamils

Articles with reference to thaali in the Forum Hub:
thaali - Google Search

Mangalsutra - The tie that binds
Mangalsutra - Indian Wedding Rituals - ShaadiTimes

Mangalsutra
Mangalsutra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what is the history of the mangalsutra? When did it come into practice?
what is the history of the mangalsutra? When did it come into practice? - Ammas.com Ask Agent™ : Ask questions, Seek advice, Ask an expert

In my school days, the Tamizh pundits taught us that in ancient Tamizh culture, married women wore a tAli and men the equivalent of meTTi--toe-ring, to indicate their marital status. As men walked with a straight look and women with a look at the ground, this facilitated easy identification of the marital status of a passerby. I understand that in some Hindu communities (I think the Reddys), the groom wears the toe-ring, while the bride wears the tAli.

Although different view points were expressed in that thread, I appreciate Sri saidevo's
answer because there is complete logic in his explanation

What is the logic?

It is all belief based. Please change your words to avoid confusion.

If one were to believe that red is blue and blue is black, then would red be black?

Many TB women customarily wear gold chain with attachment of actual tali on a small stretch of manjal saradu in the middle. This hybrid version has been in vogue for several decades and is favored by both home makers and career women!

This "thAli" system is found only among the Tamil Nadu and Kerala people. (I will stand corrected if this is incorrect.) I have read that this is due to an ancient dravidian custom of taking a small piece of தாலீபத்ரம் (பனைஓலை)=palm leaf, (in Sanskrit) writing on it words to the effect of "so-and-so's woman", folding it into a squarish locket shape and the husband tying it to the neck of the newly married wife. A similar "tagging" was used in earlier days by the Christian Missionaries for the very low caste people whom they converted to Xianity; I have seen christian males and females wearing this necklace, in Travancore, during my childhood. Possibly this system was replaced, some time after our Independence, to tattooing of cross in the back of the palm, but I am not sure.

The name தாலி possibly came, after the northern people's migration and it means palm in Sanskrit. The simple palm-leaf thAli underwent many transformations and has reached its present state of golden locket. Viewed from this historical perspective the turmeric coated Saradu can also very well be replaced by golden chain.

In the vedic marriage mantras there is no mention of thAli nor is there any mantra for the so-called "mangalya dhAraNam"; the couplet "mAngalyam tantunAnEna..." is surely the invention of some wise sanskrit scholar and it cannot be found in the veda. Many people from Karnataka northwards do not have this thAlikeTTu as a part of the marriage function, although it has become a custom and fashion for some of them, to wear a golden necklace of black beads in the place of the thAli.

Poor and incorrect understanding of hindu customs. All acharyas and law givers have said that everything will not be and need not be found in vedas; there are hundreds of customs and practices practiced all over bharat which may not be found in vedas or have vedic references. What is essential is the practices and laws must not contradict vedas. Not found in vedas is not a valid logic to put forward in any argument. Whether it conforms to veda and is not anti veda is the touchstone. Practices can be picked up from ithasas, purans, and dharmasastras also.

Mangalya dharanam is followed by a vast segment of hindus. Unless the veda implicit diversity in practices is understood, one will never understand and experience the richness of sanatana dharma. Your oft repetition of 'not found in vedas' does not negate the importance or sanctity of customs, rituals and practices.

Saptapati has vedic roots, and stresses the importance of equality of man and wife, and ends with - we will live as friends for ever.

In the vedic marriage mantras there is no mention of thAli nor is there any mantra for the so-called "mangalya dhAraNam"; the couplet "mAngalyam tantunAnEna..." is surely the invention of some wise sanskrit scholar and it cannot be found in the veda. Many people from Karnataka northwards do not have this thAlikeTTu as a part of the marriage function, although it has become a custom and fashion for some of them, to wear a golden necklace of black beads in the place of the thAli.

Poor and incorrect understanding of hindu customs. All acharyas and law givers have said that everything will not be and need not be found in vedas; there are hundreds of customs and practices practiced all over bharat which may not be found in vedas or have vedic references. What is essential is the practices and laws must not contradict vedas. Not found in vedas is not a valid logic to put forward in any argument. Whether it conforms to veda and is not anti veda is the touchstone. Practices can be picked up from ithasas, purans, and dharmasastras also.

Mangalya dharanam is followed by a vast segment of hindus. Unless the veda implicit diversity in practices is understood, one will never understand and experience the richness of sanatana dharma. Your oft repetition of 'not found in vedas' does not negate the importance or sanctity of customs, rituals and practices.

Saptapati has vedic roots, and stresses the importance of equality of man and wife, and ends with - we will live as friends for ever.

TN Governments idea of Thalli is totally different Free assistance is given based on criteria. Religon doenot seem to be one!

The poor people found it difficult to buy the precious metal. The Chief Minister, Jayalalithaa, had introduced the scheme to support them for making ‘mangalyam' in gold.(Thalikku Tthangam)

As per the scheme, four gram gold coin would be distributed to the bride for marriage. If she had studied up to Secondary School Leaving Certificate and Plus Two, she would be given a cash of Rs.25,000 in addition to the gold coin. The cash assistance for those who completed degree would be Rs.50,000.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...old-cash-assistance-begins/article2466604.ece

Poor and incorrect understanding of hindu customs.
Customs are not God given, they are man made. Customs vary depending on the location and time. Some think that any old practice is "hindu Custom".
In Kashmir and Bengal there is no magalya dharnam in ancient customs. Now a days due to TV and commercialization, ever jeweler sells products in the name of customs. And common folks buy that as an argument for "Tradition".

11102745_767117680053457_8228579895938062067_n.jpg

Source: face book

If we were to toe this line, then tomorrow one can start any weird fancy of his/her as a new custom on the premise that it does not invalidate the vedas. Ramayana (Rama - Sita kalyanam) also has panigrahanam only; when those who want to follow in Rama's footsteps, should they not discard the practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back