• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Just 3 Percentage in Tamil Nadu Opt for Inter-caste Marriage: Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 3 Percentage in Tamil Nadu Opt for Inter-caste Marriage: Study

attachment.php

CHENNAI: Has the Dravidian movement had any impact on inter-caste marriages in Tamil Nadu? As against popular perception, it hasn’t, says a national study as only three per cent in the State have chosen a life partner outside their caste.
Revealing the findings of his study “The Golden Cage: Stability of the Institution of Marriage in India’ here on Wednesday, K Srinivasan, former director and senior professor of International Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS), said it was surprising that inter-caste marriage is so low despite the Dravidian movement’s magical spell for over six decades. And, the Dravidian parties are also holding power for over four decades.

The figures are indeed surprising as Dravidian parties officially promoted and rewarded inter caste marriages, he said.

Ironically, Tamil Nadu, with 97.04 per cent, leads the southern States of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala in the preference for same caste marriages. “In fact, the ratio of inter-caste marriage in south India is only 8.62 per cent,” he said.

The study by Srinivasan, also national fellow of Indian Council of Social Science Research, reveals that about 10 per cent of the total marriages in India takes place between different castes while only 2.1 per cent marriages are inter-religious.

The findings show that girls from backward castes marry boys of lower caste, but when it comes to SCs, it is just 1.66 per cent in Tamil Nadu as against the national average of 5.58 per cent. However, in Kerala girls marrying men of lower castes is on the higher side and account for 12.24 per cent.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-Marriage-Study/2015/04/23/article2778083.ece

Attachments

• Just 3 in TN.JPG
    Just 3 in TN.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,650
The real cause for same caste marriage is the stability factor in same caste marriage.

members of extended family of same caste, others belonging to the same caste help in preserving the institution of marriage within caste.

this support often ceases and also turns into hostility for those crossing caste boundaries in marriage.

in india it is difficult to survive without extended family support.

hence the mad rush by inter caste,inter religion couples to go to developed countries where such things do not matter.

Is just 3 Percentage in Tamil Nadu Opt for Inter-caste Marriage?
It may be true in case TB boys ( now many are men , half crossed old men)

But in case of urban TB Girls, the percentage would be above 15/ 20 %.
I know a family (of aachaara - anushtanams - claiming to have doing religious Saadhakams ) of TB , are saying that their daughter is "EMPLOYED US". But the girl actually employed in OMR and living in Velachery with a SC boy.
If details are covered like this, shall statistics reveal a real picture?

The statistics seems to be vague. Does the 3% relate to arranged inter caste marriage or inter caste love marriage? If it is arranged, the percentage will be more, taking into account the love marriage and marriages without sanction from parents.

This data does not cover TB's....I do not believe it...If some TB believes it, they are living in their own make believe world..My estimate is that inter caste/inter religion would be 15% for TB boys and about 30% for TB girls in Tamil Nadu..Out side TN should be 50 to 60% for our community...No doubt about our community getting destroyed by our own folks who fall prey to their lust

This data does not cover TB's....I do not believe it...If some TB believes it, they are living in their own make believe world..My estimate is that inter caste/inter religion would be 15% for TB boys and about 30% for TB girls in Tamil Nadu..Out side TN should be 50 to 60% for our community...No doubt about our community getting destroyed by our own folks who fall prey to their lust
What you say appears far fetched

I doubt It . Iyer getting married to iyengars or marriage within the brahmin community ignoring subcaste or language might be common place. Still same caste

marriages are very large.Polarisation and caste divides are so high that inter caste marriages are small in number . Thats what I would like to believe anyway.

Am I behaving like an ostritch burying its head ?lol

What you say appears far fetched

I doubt It . Iyer getting married to iyengars or marriage within the brahmin community ignoring subcaste or language might be common place. Still same caste

marriages are very large.Polarisation and caste divides are so high that inter caste marriages are small in number . Thats what I would like to believe anyway.

Am I behaving like an ostritch burying its head ?lol

This is the status of TB marriages in past 10 years..I took representative samples that I know and calculated this...It is going adversely ..I have voiced my lament several times earlier too

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=12760&highlight=Are+we+digging+our+own+grave

The title is right in a way...It is only the 3% of the TN population who are the TB's who opt for inter caste marriage

This is the status of TB marriages in past 10 years..I took representative samples that I know and calculated this...It is going adversely ..I have voiced my lament several times earlier too

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=12760&highlight=Are+we+digging+our+own+grave
The topic of IC/IR marriages has been squeezed dry in the thread of 2013 above.

All the best brains of this forum have gone into it

I suppose it has become a cause not worth further discussing and accepting the inevitable ....lol

It makes sense, because arranged marriage yet prevails. Arranged marriage promotes casteism, and hence the proportion of intercaste marriage remains low.

As for TBs, I think the majority of TBs fall into the following categories:

1) Marry their own
2) Marry another subcaste
3) Marry a non-Tamil, but yet Brahmin
4) Marry non-Brahmin from any state

I have seen very few cases where the 4th case is followed (this is more common inside TN than outside it) while the first 3 cases are fairly common.

4) Marry non-Brahmin from any state

I have seen very few cases where the 4th case is followed (this is more common inside TN than outside it) while the first 3 cases are fairly common.

Every other house has some one who has married outside the caste...I can give more than 2 dozen cases (marrying a non brahmin) within my circle...As I mentioned it is only increasing not diminishing...Jains are not having this problem as much as TB's...For such instances they are literally excoriated from the family & samaj (community)...Even property rights are not allowed...But we have become isolated...Isolated from relatives, insulated from community, we are living a sequestered life...Most of these things are hushed up...We will get to know much later

Arranged marriage promotes casteism

The right word is caste cohesion; word casteism propounded by the abrahamic followers negativity. It was an intentional idea to distort jati concept and practice.

Jains are not having this problem as much as TB's...For such instances they are literally excoriated from the family & samaj (community).

Two incidents I have come across in the last two years, boy jain, girl maharashtrian maratta. Both the girls have smoothly blended with jain family traditions in dress and manners, and have given up non veg.

In the name of caste cohesion , one cannot hide caste bias.

There is no need to justify same caste marriage and give it a holy justification such as preserving traditions etc.

Such isolation of community will lead to its fast demise

sarang said:
Jains are not having this problem as much as TB's...For such instances they are literally excoriated from the family & samaj (community)

It is fairly common for Jains to marry Hindus and vice versa. It is not very common for a Jain marrying a non-Jain to be excoriated and isolated from the family. I have seen many such marriages. Yes Jains are as apprehensive as we are about the survival of their community and culture. I have never seen samaj isolation or restriction of property rights to a Jain who married a non-Jain. They have turned inclusive these days, because they too have to survive....

Like krish sir says here:

krish44 said:
Such isolation of community will lead to its fast demise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back