• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian men hardly do any household work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian men hardly do any household work

July 17th 2015

From washing powders to cooking, it's always women who are shown as doing and being responsible for household chores in advertisements in India. According to a report on gender disparities in various nations, conducted by Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Indian men on an average spend only 19 minutes per day on unpaid housework and are ranked far below in a list that is topped by men in Slovenia and Denmark who spend 114 and 107 minutes on an average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOX0XrxYqpc

st-block-8-1437129183142-raw.png
This advertisement from Lloyd, an electronic appliance company, takes up the subject as it shows a husband and wife shopping for a washing machine. The store staff asks the husband if he is looking for any specific model, to which he points towards his wife and replies, “Ask her, washing clothes is her department”. Her response should gladden the heart of those rooting for gender equality.

India consistently ranks quite low on various measures of gender equality. The United Nations placed India at 132 out of 148 countries in its recent gender inequality index. The fact that Indian workplace tends to be male-centric could have something to do with men spending less time doing housework, but as more women joining the workforce, even in those areas which were traditionally considered male domains, this trend should hopefully change.

http://video.scroll.in/166/this-clever-ad-reminds-us-of-how-indian-men-hardly-do-any-household-work

The indian realities are different.

in india labour is cheap.

domestic workers for house work can be got for very low rates .

even if more women join the work force in offices for work calling for higher education and skill ,the homefront is unlikely to change much.

only wives will get replaced by domestic paid women workers at home .

men are unlikely to lend a helping hand home. it conflicts with the male mind set nurtured over centuries.

males would still consider themselves as providers , women their unequal halves who are dependant on them. It hurts their ego to think differently

Indian men are hypocrites.They clean utensils but when guests visit, they will sit in easy chairs with legs crossed posing as though they are the masters; where as the case is otherwise in reality.On such, occasions housewives are magnanimous. Something wrong with the survey samples of Indians. "LOL"

a few men might be wife worshippers and put on an act .

but mostly men do not do much home.

thats why they land into difficulty after retirement.

their biggest problem -what to do with themselves?

some turn to religion as an escape route.

Others take refuge in bottle and act manly .lol

The indian realities are different.

in india labour is cheap.

No longer . Labour is getting expensive as well as unrelaible as people get other better avenues for employment and that trend is likely to continue . . Recently there was a guy who repaired the bathroom in my house and he told that his son is studying Aeronautical Engineering and my maid's both sons thoug dropped studies midway refuse to do the work that is being done by her but are now working as Pizza delivery boys , my cousin's maids daughter has just completed her B.Com and has got admitted in a BPO . No longer is a car driver's son a car driver , a carpenter's son a carpenter and cook's daughter a cook . So better for both Men and Women to learn to do all the house hold work and also start training the Children also in the same from an young age , otherwise in future they will face lot of difficulty .

In Chennai now you can see lot of Biharis and NE states people working in hotels , construction & other business establishments as the local people have migrated to less labor intensive jobs .

82 minutes ONLY in the U S of A.

Please ask a few Ambis there, who got married to their lovvu!! :lol:

No longer . Labour is getting expensive as well as unrelaible as people get other better avenues for employment and that trend is likely to continue . . Recently there was a guy who repaired the bathroom in my house and he told that his son is studying Aeronautical Engineering and my maid's both sons thoug dropped studies midway refuse to do the work that is being done by her but are now working as Pizza delivery boys , my cousin's maids daughter has just completed her B.Com and has got admitted in a BPO . No longer is a car driver's son a car driver , a carpenter's son a carpenter and cook's daughter a cook . So better for both Men and Women to learn to do all the house hold work and also start training the Children also in the same from an young age , otherwise in future they will face lot of difficulty .

In Chennai now you can see lot of Biharis and NE states people working in hotels , construction & other business establishments as the local people have migrated to less labor intensive jobs .

Well , What is wrong with employing biharis or NE state people and training them for cooking our food

Many hotels [even good vegetarian ones] in chennai employ NE and uttarakhand people. They converse in tamil also.So no language issues.

One needs to take what is easily available and make them useful for ones requirements.

I am a strong believer in this approach.

With so many poor from all over india flooding metros, there can be no shortage of unskilled labour.

according to latest reports about 30 percent of rural poor are landless ,possess no skills and are not averse to move to metros for employment.

One has to put some efforts to train them and make them useful for ones requirements

Many of these ambis are getting a raw deal in US of A.

Some end up cleaning the toilets at their homes.

It is not the time spent but the type of domestic work they do home abroad

Indian men are hypocrites.They clean utensils but when guests visit, they will sit in easy chairs with legs crossed posing as though they are the masters; where as the case is otherwise in reality.On such, occasions housewives are magnanimous. Something wrong with the survey samples of Indians. "LOL"

I also think so because I have seen several houses in which the mama does almost all the household work (it has become the "rule" in the case of our young Ambis!) but when any guest comes, even the wife herself orders the mama/ambi to go sit on the sofa and pretend to be the patriarch. Hence, the survey people must have got all their data wrong!

Now that both husband and wife are employed, in most of the cases, the shift will definitely change and may probably start happening already.

Without husband's participation in sharing household activities, it will be very difficult to run the family, if the wife is also employed. Hence, it becomes a necessity.

Normally TB mamas cut vegetables (which takes about 30 minutes), buy vegetables, provision etc which takes another 30 mts, drop kid to bus/school and help in getting the child ready...So it is a neat 75 to 95 mts of house hold chore...Looks like service class is left out of the survey...The survey in India might have focused on the elderly or daily male wagers who get up early & go for work thus having no time for house hold chores

Normally TB mamas cut vegetables (which takes about 30 minutes), buy vegetables, provision etc which takes another 30 mts, drop kid to bus/school and help in getting the child ready...So it is a neat 75 to 95 mts of house hold chore...Looks like service class is left out of the survey...The survey in India might have focused on the elderly or daily male wagers who get up early & go for work thus having no time for house hold chores
Dear Ganesh,

May be a few good souls (!) will help in household chores in India but happens rarely! The working moms drop their kids for

music class in my house and buy veg and other needed things on their way back home. Luckily, in Sing Chennai, provision

stores help with free home delivery, if the purchase is for more than Rs. 1,000.

BTW, I posted this clipping yesterday in another thread but worth posting here too!

Please watch this punch:
Sowmya's punch!

In Today's context of Nuclear families ( and in many cases when both the couples go for work ) , there has to lot of practical commonsense in sharing the work . We cant really compartmentalise duties as this is my job and this is your job . If there is proper planning , proper communication and proper sense of responsibility ( by all members of the family ) then the household work can easily be shared and executed without the burden falling on a single member .Plus now technology has also come in handy and so most of banking , paying bills , buying train ,flight , movie tickets ( as also books and electronic and household items ) can be done online and I still know of cases where people ( especially retired people and some housewives ) are afraid to make use of the online facility and do everything by personally visiting and end up wasting most of their time and keep complaining to others about how no one is helping them .

Last edited:
Dear Ganesh,

May be a few good souls (!) will help in household chores in India but happens rarely! The working moms drop their kids for

music class in my house and buy veg and other needed things on their way back home. Luckily, in Sing Chennai, provision

stores help with free home delivery, if the purchase is for more than Rs. 1,000.

BTW, I posted this clipping yesterday in another thread but worth posting here too!

Please watch this punch:
Sowmya's punch!
More than the punch, her whistling a song impressed me.

least expected.lol

In Today's context of Nuclear families ( and in many cases when both the couples go for work ) , there has to lot of practical commonsense in sharing the work . We cant really compartmentalise duties as this is my job and this is your job . If there is proper planning , proper communication and proper sense of responsibility ( by all members of the family ) then the household work can easily be shared and executed without the burden falling on a single member .Plus now technology has also come in handy and so most of banking , paying bills , buying train ,flight , movie tickets ( as also books and electronic and household items ) can be done online and I still know of cases where people ( especially retired people and some housewives ) are afraid to make use of the online facility and do everything by personally visiting and end up wasting most of their time and keep complaining to others about how no one is helping them .
looks like an apology and trying to be rational thought from a male condemned to house work by a smart better half.It requires a lot of effort to ensure that a male

does not become a doormat after marriage. most ultimately succumb and end up in the kitchen, cutting the vegtables and washing the dishes.

There should be a society for prevention of cruelty to married males.

looks like an apology and trying to be rational thought from a male condemned to house work by a smart better half.It requires a lot of effort to ensure that a male

does not become a doormat after marriage. most ultimately succumb and end up in the kitchen, cutting the vegtables and washing the dishes.

There should be a society for prevention of cruelty to married males.

Society for prevention of cruelty to married males, to be formed immediately as many experiences the policy of " No work no meals "

hi

all ambis/mamas help households in USA.....5 days naukari both...1 day grocery both....1 day laundary both....so all 7 days work....

ambis/mamas can't sit in USA....even toilets are cleaned by ambis/mamas....

In India also many married men, engage in cooking / assist in cooking, with a vested interest to ensure that the cooked items are tasty to eatable level at least.

If ultimately men become sitting ducks only to be exploited by women, nothing can be done,They deserve their fate.

Recently in delhi many many men like auto drivers ,young students are getting forcibly molested by well off society women .

there are no rape laws for molested men .Delhi police realised with a shock when they rescued recently an auto rickshaw driver from a womans house. They were

wondering on

what charges to book her.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back