• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The most famous verse of Jayadeva Swami's Gita-Govindam

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
images

In Gita Govindam, Jayadeva Swami sings: (http://www.uramamurthy.com/gems/gem183.html)

"smaragaralakhanDanaM mama s'irasi maNDanaM dehi padapallavam udAraM
jvalati mayi dAruNo madanakadana analo haratu tat upAhita vikAram
"
Tonic to the poison of Kama, may your soft handsome feet be an ornament to

my head;
May the intense heat of love-fire that is burning me be extinguished by them.

Jayadeva Swami's Gita-Govindam is acclaimed by the learned to contain gems of insights into the mental workings of a true bhakta - and of his cravings of bhakti towards his lord.

In the said verse above, Jayadeva Swami writes that Sri Krishna, in his pangs of separation from Radha, cries out to Radha to place her feet over his head. After writing it, Jayadeva Swami thought its blasphemous to call out Radha to place her feet on paramatma's head and so he tore out the leaflet containing the verse and went out for a bath.

Upon his return, he finds the verse intact in the piece of leaf, just as he originally wrote it. Upon inquiry, his wife Padmavathi tells him that he (Jayadeva) returned immediately upon leaving and wrote out the verse! Jayadeva Swami is dumb-founded, now he knows who wrote the verse!

Is this paragraph indicative that when the jivatman (Radha) reaches the Sahasrara Chakra (head of the Lord), he/she will realize the self? :)

JRji
I think ,Radha is telling krishna to place His feet on her head and not the other way about.

I do not know if I am correct.

Pl Recheck the verse

Krish Sir,

The other Krish likes it this way - like it is in the OP :) :).

Just type in "Jayadeva Radha's feet over Krishna's head" at Google!

JR
If you are jayadeva fan ,Look for Samuyugtha panigrahi odessey performing to jayadeva verses . Singing by Raghunath panigrahi.

A great delight.

Thanks for the cool tip, Krish Sir! :thumb:

I'll look out for this video in Youtube.

Dear Krish Sir,

The odissi artist is
Smt. Sanjukta Panigrahi and she looks quite old!

The singer's voice is not so sweet! It is very true - Taste differs. :)

Sample video:
Odissi

Dear Krish Sir,

The odissi artist is
Smt. Sanjukta Panigrahi and she looks quite old!

The singer's voice is not so sweet! It is very true - Taste differs. :)

Sample video:
Odissi
.You have got their recent videos , she looks very old-in late sixties/seventies I guess.

I came across this pair in in nineteen sixties performing in durga puja celebrations in delhi in make shift tents.

Both were young.She was pretty . He had a wonderful melodius voice.

I got hooked to this pair.

Raghunath in his own right is a great singer.

Listen to 'Dheera sameere yamuna theere vasathi.....' and get transported to the world of radha and krishna romping in mango groves.

becoming poetic in old age lol

Last edited:
Gita Govindam is at another level of bhakti. There are reasons why the theme is always love between a male and female in such master pieces like Ashtapati, Alwar pasurams and many other works in various other languages. This can not be discussed in a heterogeneous group like this forum.

Any way whenever I go to Kottayam, I make it a point to go to the Sri Krishna Temple very near the more famous Thirunakkara Mahadeva Kshetram. In the morning, the pooja is preceded by singing of Ashtapati to the accompaniment of just udukkai. The temple singer has a mellifluous, deep and rich voice and he brings out the bhava beautifully. and people waiting for the Yavanika to lift listen in absolute silence. I would pay anything to live that moment again and again.

That is the spell Geetha Govindam casts on you when sung by a good singer-not in a kutchery but in a small little known temple to the accompaniment of not many instruments but just a udukkai.

RRJI
This is specially for you
Guru Kelucharan Mahapatra performing 'Dheera sameere'
You will forget his age and admire his mastery over odissy

Last edited:
JRji
I think ,Radha is telling krishna to place His feet on her head and not the other way about.

I do not know if I am correct.

Pl Recheck the verse

It is Krishna telling Radha to place her soft feet on his head so that it will effectively do 'smara garaLa khaNDanam' (break the poison of smara or kAmadEva and so that the burning fire of lust in me (i.e., Krishna) will be put out.

It will not be possible to understand the real meaning or intention behind these lines unless one knows "sandhyA bhAshA" which was used by the "sahajeeya" Tantriks, to which Jayadeva belonged. In later interpretations by ordinary people, this Radha-Krishna episodes denote "parakeeya bhakti" which is, I understand, similar to the attraction of a man or woman for another's wife and husband (!) respectively.

Elders in my family did not encourage anyone to get attracted to the Ashtapadi, Radha kalyanam and such things. One woman who took a keen interest in both, was looked down upon and even some elderly people advised her to control this tendency, but she did not. Later, when she faced a lot of tragedies like sudden death of a son, arrest of another in connection with some other mark-sheet scandal, etc., people ascribed these to her wrongly placed "bhakti".

......... Elders in my family did not encourage anyone to get attracted to the Ashtapadi, Radha kalyanam and such things. One woman who took a keen interest in both, was looked down upon and even some elderly people advised her to control this tendency, but she did not. Later, when she faced a lot of tragedies like sudden death of a son, arrest of another in connection with some other mark-sheet scandal, etc., people ascribed these to her wrongly placed "bhakti".
Dear Sangom Sir,

There exist people who find connection between 'mottai thalai' and 'muzhangAl'.

One woman who took a keen interest in both, was looked down upon and even some elderly people advised her to control this tendency, but she did not. Later, when she faced a lot of tragedies like sudden death of a son, arrest of another in connection with some other mark-sheet scandal, etc., people ascribed these to her wrongly placed "bhakti".

Amazing, all afflictions real and imagined, visit this family wherever they live and whatever they do. Time to consult a good jothishar and do massive pariharam!

most verses of jayadeva are in sanskrit,but only in odissi dance music these get included.

In other dance forms , Jayadeva verses do not seem to have an appeal.

Is my observation true?

M S Subbulakshmi has rendered Jayadeva astapadhi [pralaya bayothi jale] in her melodius voice .It is a treat for music lovers

It is on you tube

Compositions by some popular carnatic music vAggEyakArAs are not disturbed and rendered in the rAgams that the

composers themselves have set. But,
some lyrics have the fate of being set to any rAgam, by different music maestros.

Some of the composers are Jayadeva, Sadasiva Brahmendra, Meera Bai, Tulsidas and Arunagirinathar.

Jayadevas ashtapadi has been rendered in raagamaalika By MSS. There is more of bhakti ras than of love of radha and krishna in jayadeva compostions she has rendered

when one thinks of Meera ,one remembers MSS playing Meera in a film and even now Meera songs by her are considered a classic.

Gita Govindam is at another level of bhakti. There are reasons why the theme is always love between a male and female in such master pieces like Ashtapati, Alwar pasurams and many other works in various other languages. This can not be discussed in a heterogeneous group like this forum.

Any way whenever I go to Kottayam, I make it a point to go to the Sri Krishna Temple very near the more famous Thirunakkara Mahadeva Kshetram. In the morning, the pooja is preceded by singing of Ashtapati to the accompaniment of just udukkai. The temple singer has a mellifluous, deep and rich voice and he brings out the bhava beautifully. and people waiting for the Yavanika to lift listen in absolute silence. I would pay anything to live that moment again and again.

That is the spell Geetha Govindam casts on you when sung by a good singer-not in a kutchery but in a small little known temple to the accompaniment of not many instruments but just a udukkai.
hi

these kind of singing many in kerala temples....when nadai closed...they sing with udukkai....even in delhi ...sri guruvayurappan

temple in east delhi... i heard many times...

Jayadevas ashtapadi has been rendered in raagamaalika By MSS. There is more of bhakti ras than of love of radha and krishna in jayadeva compostions she has rendered

when one thinks of Meera ,one remembers MSS playing Meera in a film and even now Meera songs by her are considered a classic.
DasavathAram - M S S

This song rendered by Smt. M S S is the invocation song of Jayadeva's Geeta Govindam describing the dasAvathArs of Sri Krishna and

not one of the Ashtapadis, which have 8 stanzas. Since Krishna is taking these avtArs, we find Balarama, Buddha and Kalki after Rama.

Our bhajan master Sri. Srinivasa Rao has composed the music for this song.

Here is the one more version in traditional bhajan style, by Udayalur Sri. Kalyanaraman.

Dasavatharam - Bhajan

Meera's songs are in the category of bhajans. :)

It is Krishna telling Radha to place her soft feet on his head so that it will effectively do 'smara garaLa khaNDanam' (break the poison of smara or kAmadEva and so that the burning fire of lust in me (i.e., Krishna) will be put out.

smara-garala-khandanam
mama sirasi mandanam
dehi pada-pallavam udaram

Dear Sangom ji,

Do we really have to view 'smara garaLa khaNDanam" from a sexual point of view?

smara after all means remembrance...

So can we take it to means "breaking the poison of remembrance"?

After all remembrance is our memories..our recollections..its not easy to give up our memory.

As we are supposed to believe all past birth memories are stored in the Chitta "portion' of the Antahkarana..and I guess by giving up everything stored we can empty ourselves finally of any mental imprint.

For complete merging with Paramatma the Jeeva is supposed to be a clean slate if I am not mistaken.

I feel the story makes more sense if its Radha placing her feet on the head of Krishna cos by this act she has emptied every "smaranam" to be finally accepted by the Lord....the fusion of Jeeva and Paramatma.

Krishna placing His feet on Radha's head would not make much sense cos that act would be viewed as destroying the ego of Radha...just like how Vamana destroyed the ego if Bali Maharaj by placing His feet on his head.

Here Radha must have been so pure that she was sans any memory(smara) and pure enough for the Lord to receive her feet on His head.

We are assuming that its Krishna who needs the 'smara garaLa khaNDanam'...so who needed the breaking of the poisonous effects of remembrance? Radha or Krishna? After all it does not state anywhere in the verse that Krishna wants the khaNDanam for Himself.

I could be wrong in my understanding..corrections welcomed.

Last edited:
DasavathAram - M S S

This song rendered by Smt. M S S is the invocation song of Jayadeva's Geeta Govindam describing the dasAvathArs of Sri Krishna and

not one of the Ashtapadis, which have 8 stanzas. Since Krishna is taking these avtArs, we find Balarama, Buddha and Kalki after Rama.

Our bhajan master Sri. Srinivasa Rao has composed the music for this song.

Here is the one more version in traditional bhajan style, by Udayalur Sri. Kalyanaraman.

Dasavatharam - Bhajan

Meera's songs are in the category of bhajans. :)
Youtube has categorised MSS song of jayadeva as ashtapadi. Hence my mistake.

Dear Sangom ji,

Do we really have to view 'smara garaLa khaNDanam" from a sexual point of view?

smara after all means remembrance...

So can we take it to means "breaking the poison of remembrance"?

After all remembrance is our memories..our recollections..its not easy to give up our memory.

As we are supposed to believe all past birth memories are stored in the Chitta "portion' of the Antahkarana..and I guess by giving up everything stored we can empty ourselves finally of any mental imprint.

For complete merging with Paramatma the Jeeva is supposed to be a clean slate if I am not mistaken.

I feel the story makes more sense if its Radha placing her feet on the head of Krishna cos by this act she has emptied every "smaranam" to be finally accepted by the Lord....the fusion of Jeeva and Paramatma.

Krishna placing His feet on Radha's head would not make much sense cos that act would be viewed as destroying the ego of Radha...just like how Vamana destroyed the ego if Bali Maharaj by placing His feet on his head.

Here Radha must have been so pure that she was sans any memory(smara) and pure enough for the Lord to receive her feet on His head.

We are assuming that its Krishna who needs the 'smara garaLa khaNDanam'...so who needed the breaking of the poisonous effects of remembrance? Radha or Krishna? After all it does not state anywhere in the verse that Krishna wants the khaNDanam for Himself.

I could be wrong in my understanding..corrections welcomed.

Smt. Renuka ji,

"smara" as you know well, is the Imperative Mood, if we take it as the verbal form of स्मृ (Ist. Conjugation) instead of as denoting the kAmadEva. Then, smara garaLa khaNDanaM will mean, "Remember! the neutralisation of poison" and not as you say 'breaking the poison of remembrance'. For this meaning to be read, Jayadeva should have written स्मृति गरळ खण्डनं (smṛti garaḷa khaṇḍanaṃ), imho.

Secondly, it is well known that Jayadeva was a precursor to the वैष्णव-सहजीय cult and, through the invention of the new Radha-Krishna love, Jayadeva was only reiterating the सहजीय philosophy which held that the highest spiritual attainment could be had only through sexual union between man and woman.

The gaudeeya is a branch of vaishnavism. The Brahmavaivartha (BV) Purana is their most sacred scripture. It says that Radha is the most Supreme Godhead of the Universe who resides in gOlOka. She, along with krishna, her lover, are their highest gods. Krishna (& Radha) created vishnu, brahma and siva. Curiously, Ganesha and Parvathy get one full canto of this BV purana, called Ganesha Khanda. Some people firmly believe, Vyasa Maharshi himself composed/wrote this purana also, in Banga Desa, in order to educate the devout people (throughout bharatavarsha) in the correct moral ways of life!

Jayadeva's Ashtapadee describes this Radha-krishna relationship, which includes oral sex as also a scene in which Radha places her foot on krishna's head as part of their love-play. iskconites treasure all these stuff as the sure-shot guide to final liberation. During Jayadeva's times it was more part of an emerging tantric cult with unlimited and free-for-all sex as a method of enlightenment (and Osho caught upon this idea and propagated it, successfully.). Later on this Tantric Cult became popular in Bengal as the Vaishnava Sahajiya Cult. The ruler of Kalinga, in a subsequent period, proscribed Jayadeva and his work from his kingdom, because he felt Jayadeva was a threat to public morality. So, Gita Govindam went into oblivion for some centuries until it was traced again in some other part of the country and brought to light in the 18th. century by the Britishmen ruling our country.

When he enjoyed the good books of the Kalinga king, Jayadeva made the singing of Gita Govinda a daily ritual in the Puri Jagannath Temple and also recruited virgin girls to dance to these songs, before the deity. These dance girls who were called Maharis danced the Mahari dance and Odissi evolved out of this Mahari dance. Jayadeva also institutionalized the Mahari system in all temples of the country, Kalinga. The Devadasi Sampradaya was this Mahari system when it spread outside the Kalinga country.

This kind of Radhe-krishna worship caught on still further north in Bengal, Brindavan, Mathura, etc., areas. The present Brindavan with its krishna, Radha temples and many widows, etc., is only a sad reminder of the erstwhile Radhe-krishna cult and widows trying to emulate the supreme Radha. In Bengal, this bhakti-madness went to the very extreme of devout men observing menstruation (of course, falsely) and the untouchability connected with it etc., in the hope that they had become one with Radha; thanks to the British, this nonsense was exterminated with an iron hand, but some isolated fringe-groups within the very lowest castes, who might have fled the British territory then, may be continuing this madness even now, we don't know!

Smt. Renuka ji,

"smara" as you know well, is the Imperative Mood, if we take it as the verbal form of स्मृ (Ist. Conjugation) instead of as denoting the kAmadEva. Then, smara garaLa khaNDanaM will mean, "Remember! the neutralisation of poison" and not as you say 'breaking the poison of remembrance'. For this meaning to be read, Jayadeva should have written स्मृति गरळ खण्डनं (smṛti garaḷa khaṇḍanaṃ), imho.

Secondly, it is well known that Jayadeva was a precursor to the वैष्णव-सहजीय cult and, through the invention of the new Radha-Krishna love, Jayadeva was only reiterating the सहजीय philosophy which held that the highest spiritual attainment could be had only through sexual union between man and woman.

The gaudeeya is a branch of vaishnavism. The Brahmavaivartha (BV) Purana is their most sacred scripture. It says that Radha is the most Supreme Godhead of the Universe who resides in gOlOka. She, along with krishna, her lover, are their highest gods. Krishna (& Radha) created vishnu, brahma and siva. Curiously, Ganesha and Parvathy get one full canto of this BV purana, called Ganesha Khanda. Some people firmly believe, Vyasa Maharshi himself composed/wrote this purana also, in Banga Desa, in order to educate the devout people (throughout bharatavarsha) in the correct moral ways of life!

Jayadeva's Ashtapadee describes this Radha-krishna relationship, which includes oral sex as also a scene in which Radha places her foot on krishna's head as part of their love-play. iskconites treasure all these stuff as the sure-shot guide to final liberation. During Jayadeva's times it was more part of an emerging tantric cult with unlimited and free-for-all sex as a method of enlightenment (and Osho caught upon this idea and propagated it, successfully.). Later on this Tantric Cult became popular in Bengal as the Vaishnava Sahajiya Cult. The ruler of Kalinga, in a subsequent period, proscribed Jayadeva and his work from his kingdom, because he felt Jayadeva was a threat to public morality. So, Gita Govindam went into oblivion for some centuries until it was traced again in some other part of the country and brought to light in the 18th. century by the Britishmen ruling our country.

When he enjoyed the good books of the Kalinga king, Jayadeva made the singing of Gita Govinda a daily ritual in the Puri Jagannath Temple and also recruited virgin girls to dance to these songs, before the deity. These dance girls who were called Maharis danced the Mahari dance and Odissi evolved out of this Mahari dance. Jayadeva also institutionalized the Mahari system in all temples of the country, Kalinga. The Devadasi Sampradaya was this Mahari system when it spread outside the Kalinga country.

This kind of Radhe-krishna worship caught on still further north in Bengal, Brindavan, Mathura, etc., areas. The present Brindavan with its krishna, Radha temples and many widows, etc., is only a sad reminder of the erstwhile Radhe-krishna cult and widows trying to emulate the supreme Radha. In Bengal, this bhakti-madness went to the very extreme of devout men observing menstruation (of course, falsely) and the untouchability connected with it etc., in the hope that they had become one with Radha; thanks to the British, this nonsense was exterminated with an iron hand, but some isolated fringe-groups within the very lowest castes, who might have fled the British territory then, may be continuing this madness even now, we don't know!

Give any topic, Sangom ji will "claim" great proficiency in it! He does not feel any bit for the bhakta even in the divine in giving out his so-called "insights of wisdom"!!! All it takes is a day or 2 for Sangom ji (so that he 'literates' himself first on that work) to regard all works of Vaishnavas as "perversions". I would love to use PJ ji's "ban user" feature against this particular user, who writes crap in all my threads.

I will no longer post any new Vaishnava threads in the Religion section, atleast for sometime, thanks to the behavior of some users. I wish this thread is closed.

Give any topic, Sangom ji will "claim" great proficiency in it! He does not feel any bit for the bhakta even in the divine in giving out his so-called "insights of wisdom"!!! All it takes is a day or 2 for Sangom ji (so that he 'literates' himself first on that work) to regard all works of Vaishnavas as "perversions". I would love to use PJ ji's "ban user" feature against this particular user, who writes crap in all my threads.

Whatever I have written is true. If you feel making a vaishnava work into perversion, then we had one vaishnava member (Shri Nara) who held the opinion that Radha-Krishna did not form part of vaishnava system since Radha's name is not mentioned in Bhagavata and other accepted vaishnava scriptures.

The fault is not mine but yours because it appears as though you are a blinkered vaishnavite who fears to see the realities behind religions.

Using "ban user" feature will depend on Shri Praveen. I only hope that he is not prodded into such an act.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back