• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sanjay Subrahmanyam to get Sangita Kalanidhi award this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good decision! Outstanding musician! I think the Music Academy has taken a progressive step in recognizing musicians who are the peak of the career! He is just 47! Awesome! I have listened to his Kutchery several times! His music is passionate, energetic with a rich and soothing voice! Just brilliant!

21 June 2015
[h=1]Coveted ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ title for Sanjay Subrahmanyam[/h]B. Kolappan [h=2]Mr. Subrahmanyam is known for his high-energy and consistently crowd-pulling shows.[/h]
Vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyam — one of the foremost south Indian classical vocalists — will receive the coveted ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award of The Music Academy this year. He will preside over the 89th annual conference of the Academy to be held between December 15, 2015 and January 1, 2016.

“He is the unanimous choice of the executive committee of the Academy and in selecting Mr. Sanjay Subrahmanyam we have restored the practice of awarding the title both to veteran and young musicians who are at the peak of their career. The practice existed till the late 1970s. Mr Subrahmayam is a vocalist par-excellence and torchbearer of his generation of Carnatic musicians,” said N. Murali, President, The Music Academy.

Following the recognition, 47–year–old Sanjay Subrahmanyam will join the galaxy of great musicians such as Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Musiri Subramania Iyer, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna who were awarded the title before they turned 50. As an artiste who made a mark in his early performing years, Mr. Subrahmanyam is known for his high-energy and consistently crowd-pulling shows. His music stands out in its uncompromising classical content. His novel interpretations of several lesser-known ragas and his particular interest in engaging with Tamil compositions won him critical acclaim over the years.

Mr. Subrhamanyam, a chartered accountant by training, chose to become a full-time musician 2000. “It is a great honour and I have no words to articulate my feelings,” he told The Hindu on Sunday. “I have had a good relationship with the Academy, which is a great institution serving the cause of music and dance. It is a great recognition and acknowledgement of my music,” he said, adding that he owed his success to the blessings of his gurus such as Lakshmi Narayanan, Rukimini Rajagopalan, Calcutta Krishnamurthy and Semponnarkoil S.R.D. Vaidhyanathan.

He said the award would inspire him further to uphold the greatness of music.
Mr. Murali said the award would be conferred on Mr Sanjay Subrahmayam at the Sadasslated for January 1.

The Sangita Kala Acharya awards will go to vocalist Mysore Nagamani Srinath and percussionist T.H. Subashchandran. Nagaswaram artiste Seshampatti Sivalingam and veena artiste Kamala Aswathama will get the T.T.K. awards. The ‘Musicologist’ award will go to Gowri Kuppusamy and the Pappa Venkatramaiah award for violin will be given to M.S. Mani. Noted dancer Alarmel Valli will be conferred the Natya Kala Acharya award on January 3 on the occasion of the inauguration of the dance festival.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le-for-sanjay-subrahmanyam/article7339056.ece

Though some seniors are still waiting to get this award - Neyveli Santhana Gopalan, O S Thiagarajan - it is good to see Sanjay gets the award this year. He belongs to Thiruvalangadu.

He joins the select band of Maharajapuram, Musiri, Semmangudi, GNB, Ariyakudi, MLV and Balamuralikrishna, who received the award before turned 50.

Congratulation to Sanjay, a real crowd puller.

No doubt it is a good choice .Sri Sanjay Subramaniam richly deserves the coveted title.Still seniority could have been a criteria.for the selection.Views may differ but it my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back