• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why is there no Navagraham in Perumal temple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I believe the navagraham are demi-gods which we need to worship as they have direct influence in our daily lives in terms of astrology.

As a vaishnavite, I am always curious why are there no navagrahas in Perumal or Vishnu temple ? However, there are navagraham in Amman and Sivan temple.

Is there any factual reason from the vedas on this?

Thanks all!

Hmm... this thread seems very quiet. No replies yet from anyone about this query? Hasnt anyone thought about this question or am i the first? :p

Hi All,

I believe the navagraham are demi-gods which we need to worship as they have direct influence in our daily lives in terms of astrology.

As a vaishnavite, I am always curious why are there no navagrahas in Perumal or Vishnu temple ? However, there are navagraham in Amman and Sivan temple.

Is there any factual reason from the vedas on this?

Thanks all!

Namaste!!!!!!

I would like to quote you a slokan from subrabatham..... U can see this slokam in both Tamil and Sanskrit venkatesha suprabatham..... Slokam 20 " suryendhu bowma budha....... Twadasacharamavadhi dasa dasa... Tava suprabatham..."( pls ref to this sloka).... It says that navagrahas are the servent of servent of servent of Venkateswara........ So navagraham is of lesser importance for Sri vaishnavas... Narayana sharanagathi I only important..... More over most of the navagrahas are shaiva murthis or rudra murthis... So that is why u don't find navagrahas in perumal temple.....

II sarve bavanthu sukhinaha II

A person going to a Govt. Office to meet the Big-Boss, unless and otherwise he has a “suitcase full” in hand or a politician behind him, he could not succeed. To meet the Big-Boss, he has to salute, show the teeth and part with ‘something’ to the servants & servants of servants. But the devotees in Perumal temple need not worship the servants & servants of servants. They are privileged and visitors of the first order. Is this your point with which you want impress upon the forum, Sr. Sharma ji

In my opinion its not about Siva or Vishnu- at the top both are perfectly good friends I am not sure why no Navagrahas in a Perumal temple ..may be it was one way of asserting the superiority of one sect over the other in the ancient times. Human created.
Every planet can be thought of as a mass of energy ..some positive and some negative ..we have to remember that good or bad events are triggered by our own accumulated thoughts and actions. Every planet has a ruling deity ..so this arrangement is to take the devotee /believer or the rationalist to the final abstract Supreme through gross. One cant really grasp abstract truths while they themselves are under the aegis of space and time..planets and deities help us to understand this and help us evolve ...
I have seen Siva temples and Perumal temples...cant help but revel in their beauty and grandeur !!!

Here is what I feel ,each planet represents

1. Sun- Self- makes one come closer to his own self
2. Moon- mind, refinement, emotions , feelings- need to be harnessed for higher things
3. Mars- Aggression, resolve, will.
4. Mercury- Intellect, Budhdhi.
5. Jupiter- Expansion, auspiciousness, Grace.
6.Venus- Material comforts and fulfillment, Bhakti, Tantra and Mantra
7.Saturn- Detachment / from sorrow to spiritual splendour/discipline /justice..if one can understand saturn he can understand the law of cause and effect.
8. Rahu- Mostly like 7 ..combine unharnessed power to a pursuit.
9. Ketu- Mostly like Mars- but the aggression is for spiritual quests.

Vaishnava is a monotheistic tradition, tracing its roots to the Azhwars. The Azhwars were clear that those who are true to the One God will be freed of the effects of planets, as well as spells, ghosts, etc. It is clearly a radical departure from traditional Vedic thinking, and I think we can thank the Tamils for that,

This topic happens to be 'arachcha mAvu'!

Original 'mAvu' is here :
Why no Navagraha in Sri Vishnu Temples?

True that thread is closed In Tirunelvelii this new information regarding Navagrha I gathered in the past 2 days Some Sivan Koils donot have Navagraha! In Braahmadesm Kailasanathar Temple There is No navagrhams ! He (Sivachariar) told me there is No navagrahams In Tiruchendur Murugan Temple also There are Nava Kailasam in this districts and they donot have Navagrhams since each one is suppose to represent one of the Navagrahams I Have no idea if this is true But will check it up when I go to these temples Nex time!

Vaishnava is a monotheistic tradition, tracing its roots to the Azhwars. The Azhwars were clear that those who are true to the One God will be freed of the effects of planets, as well as spells, ghosts, etc. It is clearly a radical departure from traditional Vedic thinking, and I think we can thank the Tamils for that,

"vedic" tradition did not say anything about navagrahas nor about worshipping them. In fact Yajurveda claims that nothing like an idol can exist which is like the original power. na taSya pratimA asti, it says. That was why all vedic worship was to the sacrificial fire and through the sacrificial fire to other devas/devatas. Navagrahas were not worshipped at that period of time. In fact, it was Aryabhatta who first recognized the lunar nodes, their role in eclipses and named them as Rahu & Ketu; before his time Rahu was the cause of eclipses while ketu was a common noun denoting comets, asteroids and many other unknown phenomena which were all considered inauspicious.

The navagraha moola mantras are all concoctions from rigveda, and so is the navagraha homam — a later addition to the homa list.

But idol worship somehow crept into this vedic worship system (and spoiled it completely, I feel!). For vaishnavism it was necessary to adopt the idolatry to the full, in order to spread.

NAMASTHE!!!!

I dont think that vaishnavism is a monotheistic tradition.... It is not rejecting rudra or any other devatha... Insted it emphasis that all devatha are part of sriman narayana and he alone is whole,,,,

Radhe Krishna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back