Tamil Brahmins
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mraghavan View Post
    Vaishnava is a monotheistic tradition, tracing its roots to the Azhwars. The Azhwars were clear that those who are true to the One God will be freed of the effects of planets, as well as spells, ghosts, etc. It is clearly a radical departure from traditional Vedic thinking, and I think we can thank the Tamils for that,
    "vedic" tradition did not say anything about navagrahas nor about worshipping them. In fact Yajurveda claims that nothing like an idol can exist which is like the original power. na taSya pratimA asti, it says. That was why all vedic worship was to the sacrificial fire and through the sacrificial fire to other devas/devatas. Navagrahas were not worshipped at that period of time. In fact, it was Aryabhatta who first recognized the lunar nodes, their role in eclipses and named them as Rahu & Ketu; before his time Rahu was the cause of eclipses while ketu was a common noun denoting comets, asteroids and many other unknown phenomena which were all considered inauspicious.

The navagraha moola mantras are all concoctions from rigveda, and so is the navagraha homam — a later addition to the homa list.

But idol worship somehow crept into this vedic worship system (and spoiled it completely, I feel!). For vaishnavism it was necessary to adopt the idolatry to the full, in order to spread.
    एकं सद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mraghavan View Post
    Vaishnava is a monotheistic tradition, tracing its roots to the Azhwars. The Azhwars were clear that those who are true to the One God will be freed of the effects of planets, as well as spells, ghosts, etc. It is clearly a radical departure from traditional Vedic thinking, and I think we can thank the Tamils for that,
    NAMASTHE!!!!

I dont think that vaishnavism is a monotheistic tradition.... It is not rejecting rudra or any other devatha... Insted it emphasis that all devatha are part of sriman narayana and he alone is whole,,,,

Radhe Krishna
    KRISHNA
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12