Tamil Brahmins
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If the whole mantra is translated at one stretch, there will be divergent translations from different scholars.

If the meaning of each of the words are analysed then the mantra can be understood without much difficulty - and of course, it will lead to the same net effect expressed in different combination or set of words.

Aum (OM) – Supreme Name of God
    Bhur – Existence or Earth
    Bhuvah – Absolute Consciousness of God
    Swah – All pervading nature of God
    Tat – That - God
    Savitur – Another name of God
    Varenyam – Our acceptance of God
    Bhargo – God’s love and power
    Devasya – All functions, roles and attributes of God
    Dhimahi – Meditate and focus our mind on God
    Dhiyo - Intellect
    Yo – Who or That
    Nah - Ours
    Prachodayat – Request from God in which we ask Him for Guidance and Inspiration

And the Basic Translation is :

Oh God, the Protector, the basis of all life, Who is self-existent, Who is free from all pains and Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Who pervades the Universe and sustains all, the Creator and Energizer of the whole Universe, the Giver of happiness, Who is worthy of acceptance, the most excellent, Who is Pure and the Purifier of all, let us embrace that very God, so that He may direct our mental faculties in the right direction.

The above meanings are taken from the following source :

Hinduism at Eaglespace - Spiritual Pagesgayatribywords.php
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 155/16
    Given: 178/30

Dear Sangom Ji,

Can you please tell me the meaning of the word Hum Phat.

for example in this line Om Goom Gaum Goom Ganapataye Hum Phat.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/7
    Given: 23/3

Hum Phat, Hum Phat swaahaa, etc., as also the many "beejaaksharas", do not have any literal meaning. They are probably sound forms used from very primitive times of the people to express certain ideas and emotions. In our scriptures we have their nearest equivalents in the "stobhas" of Sama singing where similar (apparently) meaningless sounds like Hābu hābu hābu hā ū hā ū hā ū| kāhvāhvāhvāhvāhvā, etc., are used.

This type of usage reaches its maximum in the Tantric mantras.

Though these mantras are literally meaningless, it has always been the practice to provide them with symbolic interpretations. For those who subscribe to a particular belief system like tantric groups, such symbolic interpretations are more than sufficient to believe in the efficacy of these mantras which are representative of an era when mantras were believed to bring about almost any result desired.

Sage Kautsa who preceded the nirukta, reportedly opined that the vedas were meaningless and one of the reasons adduced by him was these meaningless sounds.
    एकं सद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 155/16
    Given: 178/30

Dear Sangom Ji,

I had read one article which I am pasting here that the "beejaaksharas" are the sound produced by the Vibration of each Chakra.

Is this true?

http://mysticbeats.com/chakra-sounds.pdf
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by renukakarthikayan View Post
    Dear Sangom Ji,

I had read one article which I am pasting here that the "beejaaksharas" are the sound produced by the Vibration of each Chakra.

Is this true?

http://mysticbeats.com/chakra-sounds.pdf
    As you probably know, I am unable to accept the notion of the "chakras", kundalini, etc. Hence the table which you have given seems to me to be one which falls within the exercise of the symbolic meanings which different groups assign to these things. If anyone is able to prove for instance that the crown (I think this corresponds to "sahasraara") vibrates at the frequency of the B note in music (here itself, as you well know any frequency can be B depending on which is the C selected.) in a large sample of human beings at all times, then there may be some sense to this. Till then to me these are all not convincing.

One very austere, religious brahmin friend once told me that Dakshinaamurthy is the deity situated in the Moolaadhaara and that is why he is placed in the south (the lower part of the body conforms to the south in a Map, you see!). Such absurd "divine truths" can also be circulating among the "believers". I asked him where he got this funny and absurd idea and he said it is in an old Tamil book on tantra; but he has yet to show that book to me despite my repeated requests.

That is why D.D. Kosambi stated "The whole Krishna saga is a magnificent example of what a true believer can manage to swallow." I will say 'there is no limit to what a true believer can be made to swallow.'
    Last edited by sangom; 26-08-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added 2 paras
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

gAyatrI upadesha: shrI abhinava vidyAtIrtha (cont.)
    pages 23-25

Man uses his body, mind and life to get the desired. The fulfilment of laukika AshAs can only be through the parIkShas--examinations, of anvaya and vyatireka.

• When there is a kAraNam--cause, behind a kAryam, it is anvaya. For example, the clay is the cause for its effect in the form of a pot.

• When there is no kAraNam, there would be no kAryam: this is vyatireka. There would be no pot if there were no clay.

• When there is no relationship of anvaya-vyatireka, one thing cannot be said as the cause of another. Thus, the thread cannot be the cause of a pot.

• Worldly desires would be removed if the things related to them are obtained. But then there should be the laukika anvaya-vyatireka (relationship between the cause and effect) of those things.

• But then it cannot be said that the anvaya-vyatireka are enough for all desires. These laukika parikShas are not useful for (the desires related to) the viShaya--subjects, of svarga--heaven and Atman--Self. Since we cannot know about the svarga and Atman by our senses, how can we do the laukika anvaya vyatireka parikShas for them?

Vedas came out of Ishvara, in order to give Ananda--happiness, to man and let him get immersed in the sea of happiness. We can have all our desires fulfilled through the karmopAsana--worship by rites and rituals, and jnAnam--knowledge, prescribed in the Vedas.

प्रत्यक्षेणानुमित्या वा यस्तूपायो न बुध्यते ।
    एनं विदन्ति वेदेन तस्माद्वेदस्य वेदता ॥

pratyakSheNAnumityA vA yastUpAyo na budhyate |
    enaM vidanti vedena tasmAdvedasya vedatA ||
    --Adi Shankara, in his commentary on bRuhadAraNyaka Upanishad

"That sAdhanam--goal/truth, which cannot be understood by pratyakSham--direct vision, or anumAnam--inference, is known through the Vedas. This is why the Veda has the sthAnam--supreme position, as 'veda'."

• The Veda which has ordained as 'He who desires good dRShTa--vision, let him do-upAsana-of--worship with, the sUrya mantra. He who desires svarga--heaven, let him perform the darshapUrNamAsa yajnas'--thus ordaining karmas--ritual actions, yajnas and upAsanas for the phalas--fruits, we desire,

that very Veda has done us the upadesha--teaching, of the gAyatrI mantra, which is capable of destroying pApas--sins, sAdhana--means, for the worldly desires of svargam--heaven, and gives the phala of saguNa-nirguNa upAsana.

Explanation of the term 'mantra'

The meaning of the (Sanskrit) term mantra is

मन्तारं त्रायत इति मन्त्रः

mantAraM trAyata iti mantraH
    "That which protects the one who chants or contemplates it is mantra."

• It is sahaja--normal/traditional to say that there are seven crore mantras. If the mahA-mantras themselves are in the order of seven crores, it is not sAdhyam--possible to get to know the count of upa-mantras--secondary mantras, and bAShA--language mantras.

• Of these mantras, some are for worldly uses, some for svarga lAbha--attaining heaven, and some for brahma upAsana--worshipping/contemplating Brahman.

• The mantras are divided into veda mantras and tantra mantras. Those taught by the Vedas are Veda mantras. An example for this is the saura-aShTAkSharI mantra. Mantras taught in the tantra-granthas--tantra texts, are tantra mantras.

• Every word is a mantra in itself.

अमन्त्रमक्षरं नास्ति, नास्ति मूलम् अनौषधम् ।
    अयुक्तः पुरुषो नास्ति, योजकस्तत्र दुर्लभः ॥

amantramakSharaM nAsti, nAsti mUlam anauShadham |
    ayuktaH puruSho nAsti, yojakastatra durlabhaH ||

"There is no syllable from which a mantra cannot be made. There is no herb from which a medicine cannot be made. There is no person who is incapable. Who is rare is the one who can organize them."

This is why it is difficult to get the man who knows the RShi, chandas and devatas of mantras.

• The reason our mantras are not effective is our ajnAnam--ignorance about them. There is absolutely no shortfall in the devata--deity, or the mantra. It is taught:

नो देवतासु जडिमा जडिमा मनुष्ये

no devatAsu jaDimA jaDimA manuShye
    The inertness is not in the deities, only in man.

(to continue...)
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by renukakarthikayan View Post
    Can anyone help me out with this meaning of this Gayatri

Om Tanma Heshaaya Vidmahe
    Vaagnishuddhaya Dheemahi
    Tanna Shiva Pracodayat

(from Shri Ganapathi Navakunda Pancakunda Poojakrama)

I am not sure of the meaning of Tanma Heshaaya.
    Can anyone tell me please?

The word Hesha I had seen before in the Hayagriva Stotram where its means Neighing of a Horse.
    But does this carry the same meaning cos this is a Shiva Gayatri and how does a horse fit in here?
    Need some expert opinion here.
    Smt. Renuka,

I tried to see if the book is available anywhere (including the DLI) but even google does not bring any result. Will you be able to get a few initial pages scanned and sent to me (by PM) or as attachment? I am intrigued by this word.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

I have seen quite a few books that gayatri mantra should be recited atleast thrice daily and there is no restriction, in fact on the no-of-times. It can be many times also if we have time.

However I have read conflicting reviews on the no-of-inhales, and no-of-exhales. For example, I have listened to CDs where they pronounce very slowly. On some CD's or some books,they have said that there be 5 exhales and 5 inhales and in each exhale, one sentence should be pronounced. Some say that first exhale should be "Om BHur Bhuva Swah", and some say first exhale should be "OM" and second exhale should be " Bhur Bhuva Swah". In fact I have read one book where the scholar says we should recite the mantra within our mind without making any sound, and our breath should actually come out with the pronounciaion in silence.

Please advise if silent / chanting is correct and also how many exhales should be put to use.?
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

pages 25-28
    gAyatrI mahima

Of the countless mantras, the one that remains as the most distinguished is the gAyatrI mantra.

Through this shAstra upadesham--scriptural teaching

भिद्यते हृदयग्रन्थिश्छिद्यन्ते सर्वसंशयाः ।
    क्षीयन्ते चास्य कर्माणि तस्मिन्दृष्टे परावरे ॥

bhidyate hRudayagranthishChidyante sarvasaMshayAH |
    kShIyante chAsya karmANi tasmindRuShTe parAvare ||
    --muNDaka upaniShad 2.2.8

[2.2.8: When that Self, which is both the high and the low, is realized, the knot of the heart gets united, all doubts become solved, and all one’s actions become dissipated.]

"When that (Self which is paramporuL--(tam)supreme entity) which remains as the param--supreme, through its kAraNa-rUpam--form of cause, and (also) as aparam--of lower/later status, through its kArya-rUpam--form of effect, is seen/realized, the knots of the heart (of the seer) are sundered. All doubts become solved; and the puNya-pAma-karmas--positive and negative karmas, too are destroyed."

and by the gItOpadesham--teaching of the GItA

मामुपेत्य पुनर्जन्म दुःखालयमशास्वतम् ।
    नाप्नुवन्ति महात्मानः संसिद्धिं परमां गताः ॥ ८.१५ ॥

mAmupetya punarjanma duHkhAlayamashAsvatam |
    nApnuvanti mahAtmAnaH saMsiddhiM paramAM gatAH || 8.15 ||

[8.15: The great-souled ones who have reached the highest complete accomplishment, having come to me, do not undergo rebirth, which is the transient abode of suffering.]

"The mahAtma who have attained me get parama siddhi. They are not reborn in this place (world) which is the abode of suffering."

it is known that

only when the jIvAtma--individual soul, attains Atma-sAkShAtkAram--Self-realization and gets to know the Atman,--only then--he completes his efforts of getting his saMsAra--worldly life, destroyed to its root, and receiving the Ananda--bliss, and release from rebirth.

The veda-vAkya--Vedic statement

तं त्वौपनिषदं पुरुषं पृच्छामि

taM tvaupaniShadaM puruShaM pRuchChAmi--bRuhadAraNyaka upaniShad 3.9.26

"I ask you about the (parama) puruSha, who is sung in the upaniShads..."

informs with certainty that the Atman could only be known through the upaniShads.

• In order to know the meaning of the upadesha--teaching, of the Vedas, it is very necessary to do-adhyayanam--study the Vedas.

• It is not necessary to state that he who has no yajnopavItam--sacred thread, since he gets no eligibility to do veda-adhyayanam, there is no adhikAram--authority/privilege, for him to do adhyayanam of the Vedanta (which are the upaniShads).

The smRtis--texts of memory, written by the munivaras--sages, do-upadesham--teach, that the upanayanam--sacred-thread investiture ceremony, should only be done with the sAvitrI mantropadesham (that is the gAyatrI).

• (Thus the abhiprAyam--opinion, is that there will be upanayanam only if there is sAvitrI upadesham; only after the upanayanam can the teachings of the Vedanta be studied; and only if the parampoRuL--Brahman, taught in them is known, would there be release from the samsAram--worldly life.)

• gautama dharma sUtram says:

प्रागुपनयनात् कामाचारकामवादकामभक्षः ।
    न ब्रह्माभिव्याहरेत्

prAgupanayanAt kAmAchArakAmavAdakAmabhakShaH |
    na brahmAbhivyAharet--gautama dharma sUtra 1.2.1

"Before the upanayanam, one can do what he likes, talk what he likes and eat what he likes. At that time, he should not recite the Vedas."

• Manu says that only upon the sAvitrI upadesham a different birth ensues.

आचार्यस्त्वस्य यां जातिं विधिवद्वेदपारगः । २.१४८ ।
    तत्रास्य माता सावित्री पिता त्वाचार्य उच्यते ॥ २.१७० ।

AchAryastvasya yAM jAtiM vidhivadvedapAragaH | 2.148 |
    tatrAsya mAtA sAvitrI pitA tvAchArya uchyate || 2.170 |

It is mentioned (in the manu smRti), "What birth the guru who knows the Vedas well, causes (his shiShya--pupil), in that birth (for that pupil) only SAvitrI is the mother and the guru is the father."

This is why the trivarNikas--men of the three classes (viz. brAhmaNa, kShatriya, vaishya) are called dvijas--twice-born.

• The Veda itself proclaims that GAyatrI is the vedamAtA--mother of the Vedas.

गायत्रीं चन्दसां माता

gAyatrIM chandasAM mAtA

"Only GAyatrI is the mother of the Vedas (or Chandas)." [Chandas means the Vedas here.--KAnchi ParamAchArya]

• In the Puranas (kAshI khaNDam of skanda purANam?) it is stated:

गायत्री वेदजननी गायत्रि ब्रह्मणः प्रसूः ।
    गायन्तं त्रायते यस्माद्गायत्रीति प्रगीयते ॥

gAyatrI vedajananI gAyatri brahmaNaH prasUH |
    gAyantaM trAyate yasmAdgAyatrIti pragIyate ||

"GAyatrI is the mother of the Vedas. GAyatrI is one who gives birth to a brAhmaNa. Since she protects the man who does japam of the mantra, she has the name GAyatrI."

• Manu (about the gAyatrI mahimA) says:

सहस्रकृत्वस्त्वभ्यस्य बहिरेतत्त्रिकं द्विजः ।
    महतोऽप्येनसो मासात्त्वचैवाहिर्विमुच्यते ॥

sahasrakRutvastvabhyasya bahiretattrikaM dvijaH |
    mahato&pyenaso maasAttvachaivAhirvimuchyate ||
    --manu smRti 2.79

"If a man does japam--litany of the gAyatrI mantra for a month at one thousand times per day (in places such as the river banks or jungles), with the praNava (AUM) and the vyAhRtutis (bhUrbhuvasvaH), he will be freed from his great sins, like a snake from its slough."

(to coninue...)
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs Up/Down

namaste shrI RG Lakshman.

In regard to your post #48, you might find this link helpful, but I am yet to peruse it:
    Gayatari Mantra
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast