• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Endemic discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CHANDRU1849

I believe that if various groups in the same religion and caste follow different sambradayas, bringing unity among the groups is difficult. It is far more difficult to bring common understanding among various religious groups.

To substantiate my doubt, I have come across a letter in the 'letters to the editor' column of The Hindu dated 4.6.2015 under the above title, in connection with employment/accommodation being denied to Muslims in Mumbai.

The letter was written by one Mr Annadurai Jeeva, Srirangam, a gist of which is given below:

Judicial interventions and legislative actions are not enough to eradicate the endemic discrimination in matter such as housing. The problem is not peculiar to Mumbai. In Srirangam, it is quite impossible for even an IYER family to find rented accommodation in an area dominated by Iyengars, not to speak of families belonging to the OBCs and SCs, which only express the hollow claims of India possessing a secular identity.

UNQUOTE

What will the pseudo-Smarthas say, who are members of this forum and who have been shouting / crying / weeping from the roof-top for a permanent holy alliance between Iyers and Iyengars shedding the differences? Is it possible?

Now that the concept of individual house is gone forever, and apartments have become order of the day, Smarthas may not feel comfortable living in apartments when certain groups form the majority say Iyengars, Dalits, Muslims, Christians, Jains/Marwaris. The above letter amply proves this.

The solutions can be:

1. An Iyer army can be formed and armed to the teeth. They can go about annihilating the other groups priority being given to annihilation of Iyengars first.

2. Iyers can visit the flats where the Iyengars, muslims christians etc live and quitely release a deadly virus which will work on the brains of them and convert them all into iyers in just a few minutes.

3. Bombs can be set in such buildings where Iyengars live so that the buildings come down and end up as dust preferably with all its inmates.

Dear Chandru ji,

For how long would you want to continue this Iyer Vs Iyengar differences?

There is a difference between comfortable and peaceful living and hurling bombs and creating problems.

Dear Chandru ji,

Madam,

Secondly, as long as it exists. Why don't you attempt and try to remove it? Please do.

But dont we all have preferences when we rent out our property to others?
So what is the big deal?

Madam,

Secondly, as long as it exists. Why don't you attempt and try to remove it? Please do.

Dear Chandru,

I am neither an Iyer nor an Iyengar..so there is no way I can solve this problem..in fact since you are an Iyer why dont you take the initiative to start a revolution.

'Varna Sankraham' is one reason Arjuna Told Krishna for not fighting the Bharatha Uddha.
Todays situation no different.In fact the Sankraham has advanced in multiple directions,magnitues.
In furure it will be impossible to hold separate identities.
Let us be mentally prepared such a situation.
Alwan

'Varna Sankraham' is one reason Arjuna Told Krishna for not fighting the Bharatha Uddha.
Todays situation no different.In fact the Sankraham has advanced in multiple directions,magnitues.
In furure it will be impossible to hold separate identities.
Let us be mentally prepared such a situation.
Alwan

Dear Alwan ji,

But Krishna remains silent when Arjuna talks about Varnasankar and right away shoots off with this stanza:
TEXT 2

[SIZE=-1]sri-bhagavan uvaca
kutas tva kasmalam idam
visame samupasthitam
anarya-justam asvargyam
akirti-karam arjuna
[/SIZE]
--

TRANSLATION The Supreme said: My dear Arjuna, how have these impurities come upon you? They are not at all befitting a man who knows the value of life. They lead not to higher planets but to infamy.

So none of us really know Krishna's stance on Varnasankar.

Dear Chandru,

I am neither an Iyer nor an Iyengar..so there is no way I can solve this problem..in fact since you are an Iyer why dont you take the initiative to start a revolution.

Madam,

My last paragraph in my first post is the solution. Moving with like minded people is always trouble free.

But dont we all have preferences when we rent out our property to others?
So what is the big deal?

Madam,

You are right. But, in this case, the entire Iyer community is not preferred.

Every person has a preference when a property is let out! My brother-in-law could buy a property in the U S of A ONLY because

he is NOT an African American! The owner of that property did not want to sell to any A A at least for 100 years!!

Dear RR ji,

When I rented out my shop lot a few people approached me and I was not keen to rent out the shop lot to a person who wanted to start a mini market cos he was planning to slaughter chickens at the back of the shop too.

So I was not keen to rent out my shop lot where killing of chickens would take place.

I finally rented both the floors of the shop lot to a person who ran a tuition center for kids and also ran a meditation center for adults.

So my preference was to make sure that the shop lot is used only for good activities.

Last edited:
Dear Chandru ji,

Smt. Renukaji,

I personally do not think it will be possible to significantly reduce, let alone eradicate completely, the myriad of differences and dislikes between the numerous groups of people in India. It is such a strong disease (or infection) which has taken roots for millennia in this society, that it cannot be wiped out in 60, 70 or even a few hundreds of years. People may speak very lofty views about a fully caste-less, democratic society etc., but these are all utopian aims to achieve in reality.

I would think that the same may apply to most countries including m'sia. For example, we do not find African Americans living amongst the whites and Indian Americans, etc., even in the US. The housing rules for AAs are separate and discriminatory, I am told.

....... So my preference was to make sure that the shop lot is used only for good activities.
Dear Renu,

Each one has one's own preference! The veggie brahmins NEVER let out their houses / apartments to non.veg eating people.

P.S: I used the word people because some brahmins are non.veg eaters!

I have not yet seen any brahmin girl getting married to African American guy in the U S of A, though many have selected

fair skinned guys from many other countries who are settled in the U S of A. They are very color conscious! :lol:

Dear Alwan ji,

But Krishna remains silent when Arjuna talks about Varnasankar and right away shoots off with this stanza:

So none of us really know Krishna's stance on Varnasankar.

Dear Renuka ji,
IMO, Krishna's stance is clear, considering the reply ' how have these impurities come upon you?'
Immaterial of that (Krishna's stance) Sankraha is happening at a faster rate and at a point of time there won't be separate identities of human beings.
Alwan

I think the op, should be given a little bit more consideration.
I do not know if the constitution of India provides action against discrimination in Housing. People are advertising and telling people about their criteria, which is open discrimination.

People are misinforming about the US practice in the present times. In USA there is subtle discrimination, but by law they can not discriminate in Housing. The Landlords, the agents, and builders are aware of this provisions. The agent will loose their license if they participate in discrimination. There are agencies of the government and private organization that monitor and enforce this provision.

The federal Fair Housing Act (codified at 42 U.S.C. 3601-3619, penalties for violation at 42 U.S.C. 3631), Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, was intended to protect the buyer/renter of a dwelling from seller/landlord discrimination. Its primary prohibition makes it unlawful to refuse to sell, rent to, or negotiate with any person because of that person's inclusion in a protected class. The goal is a unitary housing market in which a person's background (as opposed to financial resources) does not arbitrarily restrict access. Calls for open housing were issued early in the twentieth century, but it was not until after World War II that concerted efforts to achieve it were undertaken.

The legislation was the culmination of a civil rights campaign against housing discrimination in the United States and was approved, at the urging of President Lyndon B. Johnson, only one week after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
The legislation is enforced by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development is the federal executive department with the statutory authority to administer and enforce the Fair Housing Act. The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development has delegated fair housing enforcement and compliance activities to HUD's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) and HUD's Office of General Counsel. FHEO is one of the United States' largest federal civil rights agencies. It has a staff of more than 600 people located in 54 offices around the United States.
Individuals who believe they have experienced housing discrimination can file a complaint with FHEO at no charge. FHEO funds and has working agreements with many state and local governmental agencies where "substantially equivalent" fair housing laws are in place. Under these agreements, FHEO refers complaints to the state or locality where the alleged incident occurred, and those agencies investigate and process the case instead of FHEO. This is known as FHEO's Fair Housing Assistance Program (or "FHAP").
There is also a network of private, non-profit fair housing advocacy organizations throughout the country. Some are funded by FHEO's Fair Housing Initiatives Program (or "FHIP"), and some operate with private donations or grants from other sources.
Victims of housing discrimination need not go through HUD or any other governmental agency to pursue their rights, however. The Fair Housing Act confers jurisdiction to hear cases on federal district courts. The United States Department of Justice also has jurisdiction to file cases on behalf of the United States where there is a pattern and practice of discrimination or where HUD has found discrimination in a case and either party elects to go to federal court instead of continuing in the HUD administrative process.
The Fair Housing Act applies to landlords renting or leasing space in their primary residence only if the residence contains living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by three or more other families living independently of each other, such as an owner-occupied rooming house.
Housing discrimination (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The enforcement is strict and quick. I have personal experience of the working of this law. LOL

An individual can select the tenant on other criteria, like credit report etc, but even a hint of discrimination will be very costly.

Last edited:
I have not yet seen any brahmin girl getting married to African American guy in the U S of A, though many have selected

fair skinned guys from many other countries who are settled in the U S of A. They are very color conscious! :lol:

I have seem plenty of Brahmin girls being married to African Americans.

OMG!! :shocked:

Why OMG! RR ji?

Aren't they human too?

I know many Africans out here on a professional basis and getting to know them better..I have come to feel that they are very expressive in their emotions, in fact at times very poetic in their expressions..its just that I think they have been badly treated and misunderstood that they become easily provoked and behave defensively.

Initially when they do not know you..they do have some form of barrier thinking that we think wrong of them but when they get to know you that you do not discriminate they become very friendly and trusting too.

My experience is only with those direct from Africa ..I have no experience with an African Amercian but somehow its strange that Indians being a brown race themselves do not seem to like Africans.

For me when I see an African I do not know why I feel some connection..I am pretty sure I must have been a African in some previous life.

Whom do you want as your neighbor is prerogative of the landlord...Here in Delhi, my erstwhile landlord prefers only South Indians as tenants as they are docile & do not create trouble

Yes. It is owner's discretion about his/her tenant.

But, secularists of this forum, who criticized the attitude of Mumbaikars on Muslims, are keeping quite about Srirangam fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back