• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cabbage rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
CABBAGE RICE

DSC06803-001_thumb%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Cabbage is one of the omitted vegetables for most and people eat it just for the sake of it,mainly because it doesn’t have any flavour of it’s own.I besides making poriyal/curry add it to many dishes in upma,aval,sandwiches,noodles and soup as well.I even make pakoda with it.Not much talking,coming to the topic,I saw this cabbage recipe in a cook book when sitting in the airport.Causally scrolling across the pages I stumbled upon this recipe and tried it when I came home,ofcourse for daughter’s lunch box.It tasted truly nice wih the balance of added spices and onions,the cabbage rice was liked by all.If you too,want to try out,then scroll down for the recipe below..

INGREDIENTS
Cooked Rice1 cup
Cabbage chopped1/4 cup
Onion1
Green Peasa handful
Mustard1/2 tsp
Urad Dal1/2 tsp
Red Chilli1
Turmeric Powder1/4 tsp
Sambhar Powder1/2 tsp
Saltto taste
Oil2 tsp
Peanuts2 tsp
Cashewnutsa few
Curry Leaves1 sprig

HOW TO MAKE

• In a pan add oil and mustard to crackle followed by urad dal and red chilly.Once they turn brown add peanuts and cashews.Allow them to turn golden brown and then add chopped onion and cabbage.
  • Add now,turmeric powder,salt and curry leaves.Cook rice till 3 whistles and cool it making sure each grain is separate.Add the cabbage mixture to the cooled rice and toss well.
  • Serve with any raita or pack your lunch box with chips or curry.

Notes

• You can add grated carrots for more flavour.
  • Adding green chiilies as whole or paste is another option.
  • You can also flavour it with a garlic pod.

Nithya's Kitchen: CABBAGE RICE

PJ Sir,

We prepare this quite frequently at home....Not only this we prepare mixed vegetable rice, Brinjal rice etc

Brinjal rice is known as 'Vaangi baath'!! :)

Last week, I prepared 'Jeera rice', which my friends relished! Heat a tablespoon of ghee and
splutter a tablespoon of Jeera in it.

Add a cup of raw rice, enough salt, half a teaspoon of red chilli powder and curry leaves; fry lightly. Pressure cook in 2 cups of water.

Yummy Jeera rice is ready! :hungry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back