• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can I wear the garland(mala)/dress god has worn? – Clarity given by Saint Periyazhwar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I visit a Jeeva Samadhi/Temple, I am comfortable in the having the Prasad (food) offered to God and Vibuthi, Kumkum etc. However I feel awkward in the wearing the garland that the God has worn. The same goes with the dress of the god. Can I wear the dhothi which God has worn? If I wear it, will I not become his equal? which definitely I am not!
I have always been asking this question to myself..It was in the shoulders of the God a minute ago and now it is in my shoulders..A minute before and a minute after – His and my shoulders? – So am I qualified to have it? He was wearing the Dhothi..Now I am wearing his?!! So am I his equal?
Some how till date I feel that the garland should be had in the hands and that the devotee must hold it in Bhakthi. In the Dhothi front, I feel that it has to be kept in the pooja room in front of god and should be worshiped and not worn! I use to have a mixed feeling i.e an Awkward Bhakthi (both together)!!
I was going through Thiruppalandu sung by the great Saint Periyazhwar..I am quoting the verse here which changed my thought process completely herewith:
உடுத்துக் களைந்தநின் பீதக வாடை யுடுத்துக் கலத்ததுண்டு
தொடுத்த துழாய்மலர் சூடிக் களைந்தன சூடும்இத் தொண்டர்களோம்
English Translation:
O Lord, we wear the yellow vestments you wear and discard. We eat the food offered to you. We wear the woven Tulasi flowers you wear and discard, and rejoice.
Oh..Oh..My understanding is partially right..Saint Periyazhwar is talking about a higher quality of Bhakthi here. He says that you can wear what he has worn provided you are his “Thondar”. The person who has surrendered himself totally to him. While wearing it, we should be conscious (throughout if possible) that we are wearing the garments worn by God. Thus lifting our stature in spirituality.
Henceforth I can peacefully wear the garland and wear the dress worn by the god..with Awareness and Bhakthi that god has worn it before!
What about wearing it before? Like Andal? Hmmm…

This is in religion section.
The Pittsburgh Temple sells the saris and other items once adorned on the Idol.
You can not offer old material to the idol.

You can offer anything to God with awareness of Bhakti. If Sabri can offer half eaten fruit, you know it would be accepted.

You might be mixing philosophy with practice, sometimes they do not go together.

This is in religion section.
The Pittsburgh Temple sells the saris and other items once adorned on the Idol.
You can not offer old material to the idol.

You can offer anything to God with awareness of Bhakti. If Sabri can offer half eaten fruit, you know it would be accepted.

You might be mixing philosophy with practice, sometimes they do not go together.

hi

all temples sells saris/other items in USA........sometimes once/twice in a year...its really a income...

Whenever I visit a Jeeva Samadhi/Temple, I am comfortable in the having the Prasad (food) offered to God and Vibuthi, Kumkum etc. However I feel awkward in the wearing the garland that the God has worn. The same goes with the dress of the god. Can I wear the dhothi which God has worn? If I wear it, will I not become his equal? which definitely I am not!
I have always been asking this question to myself..It was in the shoulders of the God a minute ago and now it is in my shoulders..A minute before and a minute after – His and my shoulders? – So am I qualified to have it? He was wearing the Dhothi..Now I am wearing his?!! So am I his equal?

I agree that we should not wear the Garlands,Vastrangal worn by the Deities.
He is Swami and we are his possesions (Sothhtukal).
At the most we can do IMO, we should get it as Prasadams and keep in our pooja rooms to the extend possible.
Alwan

The first pooja to be performed in any temple is the Nirmalya pooja. The poojari lights the lamp and the devotees may see the lord with all the floral decorations of the previous evening. The poojari conducts the Nirmalya pooja and then slowly removes all the flowers, garlands etc.

These remnants of the previous day's offerings (like flowers, garlands,etc.), to the deity, the previous day's floral offerings that adorned the deity (idol) in a temple is given to devotees as Prasadams.

Devotees believe that possessing the holy ‘vastaram’ is bound to bring about prosperity and happiness, hence they buy the Sarees and other Vastrams adorned by the Deities when these items are sold by the Temple Authorities.

Nirmalyam - The Hare Krishna Forum - IndiaDivine.org

Welcome to Kerala window

I too wear a Sari I purchased from the local temple, worn by goddess Mahalakshmi.

I agree that we should not wear the Garlands,Vastrangal worn by the Deities.
He is Swami and we are his possesions (Sothhtukal).
At the most we can do IMO, we should get it as Prasadams and keep in our pooja rooms to the extend possible.
Alwan

If Prasadam is edible we eat it. Like Renukaji said Everything belongs to God, we get to enjoy it for a short while.

If Prasadam is edible we eat it. Like Renukaji said Everything belongs to God, we get to enjoy it for a short while.
If edible we eat it. If wearable we wear it! :cool:

One girl in my family circle is a devoted singer at Sringeri mutt. SwamigaL has given a number of nine yards sarees

which were adorning Devi Sharada at the temple, to her and she happily wears those sarees. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back