• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Our Daily practices / customs

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear sir,

Technically two halves of a broken coconut can never be joined again cos once broken its broken...even if glue it the crack verily remains.

The coconut is supposed to represent Ego..so having once being broken it should remain broken.

No nail cutting after sandhi kalam(mainly evening) is another pratcice.

Alwan

dear sir,

Technically two halves of a broken coconut can never be joined again cos once broken its broken...even if glue it the crack verily remains.

The coconut is supposed to represent Ego..so having once being broken it should remain broken.

Why should a broken ego not be repaired?

What do you do with the broken ego?

Do you grate it,add salt and green chilly and make chutney to go with your idlies (white ones)? LOL.

Coconut is a product which can be seen and not so in the case of ego. How can coconut be compared with ego, when it has no form? Ego is an inborn quality of a person.

I can list a few:

1. Ladies after having a bath coming out without tying the hair
2. Bathing in the night
3. Sitting with legs folded (Mandi)
4. Removing nails in the evening
5. Doing haircut on Tuesday or Friday

Coconut is a product which can be seen and not so in the case of ego. How can coconut be compared with ego, when it has no form? Ego is an inborn quality of a person.

Ok its like this..its symbolic.

To use a coconut..we need to remove the husk and surrounding fibre and then when we break it we see pure white flesh.

The husk and the surrounding fibre represents the various layers of our mind that needs to be shed..Ahamkara being the hardest to shed cos that is what we identify with.

Ego is not pride..ego is identifying that "I am the doership" feeling..its not easy to even for a moment to not think without calling ourselves "I"

Only by cracking the hard nut called ego..the pure unsullied Atma is revealed.

Last edited:
Why should a broken ego not be repaired?

What do you do with the broken ego?

Do you grate it,add salt and green chilly and make chutney to go with your idlies (white ones)? LOL.

Ego is like virginity..once gone..gone forever!

So that means to become egoless one needs to shed virginity!LOL

I can list a few:

1. Ladies after having a bath coming out without tying the hair
2. Bathing in the night
3. Sitting with legs folded (Mandi)
4. Removing nails in the evening
5. Doing haircut on Tuesday or Friday

Is this to do list or not-to-do list?
Can you give the reasons for each action? Or just belief system and without reason?
If there is no reason in the present days, and was being practiced in olden times, there is no reason to keep following.
Removing nails after sun goes down may have reason. In the olden days there was no electric light and cutting nails in fading light would be dangerous. In the olden days they may not have the modern nail clippers.

It is like Cricket was played in daylight before floodlights and now you are not bound by sunlight.
Practices evolve over period of time, there is no sanctity in a practice itself.

What is somebody has knee problem, why must they suffer or feel guilty just because they are not able to sit Mandi position?
In North India Hindu shops were closed on Tuesday and Muslim shops were closed on Friday. May be we did not do certain things because of that. Today in 24X7 shopping why should we deny the shopkeepers business on these days?

Bathing in night, probably was a bad idea in olden days before indoor plumbing. You have to go to water source in dark and can be dangerous. So may have been taboo. There is no reason to shun bathing in night.
I expected a rational approach from a Technology person instead of superstitions.

Ego is permanent - good or bad. It never vanishes. Its position or status may change partially and not fully.

Taking bath in the night is necessary in places like Chennai, especially during Summer, depending upon the water availability.

Of late, people are very health conscious. One can see people are jogging in parks even after 7 or 8 p.m. Earlier the park in Mylapore was to close at 8 p.m. and now it is extended upto 9 p.m.

Hence, evening bath is necessary.

Being a strict vegetarian, avoiding chicken, mutton etc. during some specific months, to please the God.

Actually, the head should not face north while sleeping.

Is this to do list or not-to-do list?
Can you give the reasons for each action? Or just belief system and without reason?
If there is no reason in the present days, and was being practiced in olden times, there is no reason to keep following.
Removing nails after sun goes down may have reason. In the olden days there was no electric light and cutting nails in fading light would be dangerous. In the olden days they may not have the modern nail clippers.

It is like Cricket was played in daylight before floodlights and now you are not bound by sunlight.
Practices evolve over period of time, there is no sanctity in a practice itself.

What is somebody has knee problem, why must they suffer or feel guilty just because they are not able to sit Mandi position?
In North India Hindu shops were closed on Tuesday and Muslim shops were closed on Friday. May be we did not do certain things because of that. Today in 24X7 shopping why should we deny the shopkeepers business on these days?

Bathing in night, probably was a bad idea in olden days before indoor plumbing. You have to go to water source in dark and can be dangerous. So may have been taboo. There is no reason to shun bathing in night.
I expected a rational approach from a Technology person instead of superstitions.

Do not combine technology with spirituality...The OP is about the customs/daily practices of Tamil Brahmins...I am not here to debate whether it is scientific or superstitious..It is a custom that is being followed..For example we had discussed about having a hair cut on Tuesdays & Fridays earlier..There was a separate thread too about having a cut on Saturdays

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/13390-hair-cut-saturdays.html

Our forefathers decided certain customs...Most had a scientific reason...But do not shoot the messenger who is bringing those customs to light

Namaste,

Even donating curd after sunset is a taboo... like this for donating many items - some oils if I'm right, but can't remember those rules.

Do not combine technology with spirituality...The OP is about the customs/daily practices of Tamil Brahmins...I am not here to debate whether it is scientific or superstitious..It is a custom that is being followed..For example we had discussed about having a hair cut on Tuesdays & Fridays earlier..There was a separate thread too about having a cut on Saturdays

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/13390-hair-cut-saturdays.html

Our forefathers decided certain customs...Most had a scientific reason...But do not shoot the messenger who is bringing those customs to light
Hey come on, I am not shooting the messenger. I am asking you to change the message with the times. You are well versed in internet to research your post, I expected that from you.
Yes you can post anything and people do it all the time. I expected that you will be different. If you wanted to post a superstition, you can disclaim or defend it.
I agree that our forefathers may have had a reason for certain practice, but there is no reason to carry on today with it. The original purpose may not be valid anymore. Society progresses, and practices need to keep up with it.
"sati" was practiced but we do not do it anymore. Small Boys used to be dressed as Girl to ward off "evils", we do not practice that anymore.
Brahmins used to have Kudumi, we do not do it anymore. Practice changes for good or bad, but they do.
It is still a good practice to not walk under a ladder, as it is dangerous.

Last edited:
Namaste,

Even donating curd after sunset is a taboo... like this for donating many items - some oils if I'm right, but can't remember those rules.

If "rules" had reason you will remember them. If "rules" are forgotten or unused they should be purged.

Indian statute books are all set to become lighter, thanks to an effort of the union law ministry. The process of repealing 90 old laws will be placed before the parliament in the ongoing winter session on Monday. Likewise, the ministry has also initiated the process of repealing 892 Appropriation Bills pertaining to union ministries of finance and railways that date back from 1950 to date, noted union law minister DV Sadananda Gowda.

If they can be removed from Law Books, we must remove outdated superstitious from our practices, instead of perpetuating them.

Last edited:
Being a strict vegetarian, avoiding chicken, mutton etc. during some specific months, to please the God.

If you are strict vegetarian then you avoid eating chicken, mutton etc all the time. If you avoid eating meat only during specific times you are NOT Strict Vegetarian, May be a dictionary can help.

We all are here and we all have ego. Without ego we should not display our opinion. So to call some one else as egoistic is arrogance or ignorance.

Namaste,

Dear JR,

Could it be becos back then there was no refrigeration hence curds might not last too long kept outside till evening and hence not supposed to be given after sunset to prevent food poisoning?

No Renuka,

To be honest with you, it is more like 'white things signify Lakshmi and it is not good to 'lend' Lakshmi after it turns dark, it is like giving away your household Lakshmi forever'... this is as much as I can remember.

No Renuka,

To be honest with you, it is more like 'white things signify Lakshmi and it is not good to 'lend' Lakshmi after it turns dark, it is like giving away your household Lakshmi forever'... this is as much as I can remember.

In the North India, if you ask for Dhayi or Mirchi you are supposed to pay some token, say a paisa. They will not give it to you free. In that way it is not donated, but a purchase transaction. I do not know the reason. I will go along with others "superstition" so as not to hurt their feelings.

I bought a Burmese broom but my maid did not like it. Recently, I went to my brother's house and the maid working there was searching

for that type of broom. But she flatly refused when I told her that I shall send it to her. She said 'uRavu aRundhu pOgum, ammA!' :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back