• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

4-faced Hanuman with Camel Vahana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
Who knows more about this form of Shri Hanuman (referred to as Mukhya Prana Devaru):

11080248_598902290246898_5884270421195098170_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/HinduDhrma...41828.362325997237863/598902290246898/?type=1

Dear Jayashree,

The idol must be that of Panchamukhi Hanuman. Here is the story:

''Origin of Panchmukhi Hanuman

It is believed that Panchamukhi Hanuman was originated at the time of war between Ravan and Lord Rama. During the war, Ravan took

help of Ahiravana, the King of Patala (hell). Ahiravana appeared in the form of Vibhishana and took Shri Ram and Lakshman to Paataal

lok. Hanuman, in order to protect them, formed a fortress with his tail and entered Patalaka Loka. There he found that he had to extinguish

five lamps burning in five different directions at the same time to kill Ahiravana. That time, he originated into the form of Panchmukhi

Hanumana (five senses) with Hanuman, Hayagriva, Narasimha, Garuda and Varaha faces, and killed Ahiravana by extinguishing the five lamps.

Source: Panchamukhi Hanuman : Facts and Significance

There is a huge temple at Panchavati near Pondicherry where there is a magnificent
Panchamukha Hanuman !

Three faces and one as a crown will be visible from the front side and the face at the back will be visible when we go round the temple.

Long back we had a discussion about this temple.

Indians have very fertile imagination. They tell lot of new stories too.

One of the new stories:

There was one area in Pondicherry, now Puducherry, which was known as 'pAppAn chAvadi', probably because there was an

agrahAram long back. Now, it is called 'panchavati' and a huge 'panchamukha Anjaneyar' temple is built. It is said that Rama

built his 'parNa sAlai' here and Ravana later came and abducted Devi Sita to Srilanka. Howzzzzzzzat?

Panchamukha Anjaneyar, Panchavati:

PANCHAVATEE+PMUKHI.JPG

Picture courtesy: Google images.

Dear Raji Madam,

Thank you for the good info.

But in the picture it appears that Shri Hanuman only has 4 faces -- also Hanuman ji has a vahana I've never heard of.

So Prasad ji is right, I was wondering if there is any story behind this 4-faced form. :)

Rajiji,
JRji is talking about 4-faced not 5-faced Hanuman.
I still remember arithmetics, Prasad Sir! :)

Only four faces will be visible from if we see the front view ONLY. The other face will be at the back. Please check the picture I posted.

Also see the comment in FB page posted in OP by the person who appears to be
from Kerala:

Kurupathattil Sri Vishnumaya Temple. Not four faced, its five faced.called pancha mukha hanuman who born to kill ahi ravana.
P.S: Reading the comments is a good habit. Otherwise Gazhals will become Carnatic! :decision:

Vishnumaya temples are built in Kerala and most of them are family properties. When my relative had some 'KaNikkai' to be

given in one of the Vishnumaya temples, I was asked to wait in the car and NOT enter the temple. It is also said that if it is not

our family temple, we should never bring any prasadham from there. Sounded strange to me!

Vishnumaya - from Google images:
Vishnu+Maya.jpg

More here: Vishnumaya - Wikipedia

Thanks, Raji Madam, I took a closer look at the picture of the panchamukha Hanuman in your reply #2 and it has only 4 faces revealed in the front-view -- looking exactly like the picture in the OP.

Thanks for the clarification.

What about the Vahana. If it is Camel, then the Vigraha could have been made in Rajasthan,Just a Guess.
On a second look the vahana appears to be a Deer with long neck.
Alwan

I still remember arithmetics, Prasad Sir! :)

Only four faces will be visible from if we see the front view ONLY. The other face will be at the back. Please check the picture I posted.

Also see the comment in FB page posted in OP by the person who appears to be
from Kerala:

P.S: Reading the comments is a good habit. Otherwise Gazhals will become Carnatic! :decision:

Sorry Rajiji,
Did not question your counting expertise.
Generally the 5 mukhi Hanuman I have seen have all 5 faces facing forward.
$%28KGrHqZHJEMFHjKkrzu4BR-0q8tNIw%7E%7E60_59.JPG

th

The 4 faced Hunuman and the title of the OP nade me think Chaturmukhi Hanuman.
I have not seen a hanuman picture with heads positioned like Brahma's.

The origin of Sri Panchamukhs Hanuman can be traced to a story in Ramayana. During the war between Lord Rama and Ravana. Ravana took help of Mahiravanka who is the king of pathala.
Lord Hanuman in order to protect Lord Ram and Lakshman formed a fortress with his tail. Mahiravana took the form of Vibeeshana and took Lord Ram and Lakshman to pathala loka.
Hanuman entered pathala loka in search of Rama and Lakshmana, He found out that to kill Mahiravana he had to extinguish five lamps burning in five different directions at the same time, so he has taken the Panchamukha form with Hanuman, Hayagriva, Narasimha, Garuda and Varaha faces and extinguished the lamps and killed Mahiravana.
According to Hanumath Prakaranam in Sri Vidyarnavatantram, Anjaneya has five faces (Pancha Mukha) and ten weapons. The five faces are that of Lord Hanuman, Lord Narasimha, Lord Adivaraha, Lord Hayagriva, and Lord Garuda.
Panchamukha, panchamukhi, Panchamukhi Hanuman, Five head hanuman, Jai Hanuman, Anjaneya, jaihanuman

In Hyderabad on the way to HiTec City after Hotel Daspalla we get to see Veera Anjaneya Swamy Temple on our right. It was there I saw camel as vaahanam to Sri. Hanuman for the first time and I too was very surprised. The priest there gave me the following explanation.
Once there was an ardent devotee of Hanuman who was doing penance for a long long time praying for Lord’s Darshan. Anjaneya Swamy blessed him with His darshan but the devotee was not satisfied. He prayed and prayed to Swamy,”Because of your swabhav (nature) of vaayu vegam, mano vegam Hey Bhagwan You come in a jiffy and before I even open my eyes for darshan You are gone. I want to have a really good darshan of you to my heart’s content.” Moved by his devotion The Lord appeared before him again and asked him what will make him happy. To this the devotee requested Anjaneya Swamy to take the camel as His Vaahanam so that he can have a long time seeing Bhagwan in all His glory and Splendour astride the camel.
Bound to the devotee by his Bhakthi Anjaneya Swamy gave darshan to him on a camel and this was how camel became Swamy’s vaahanam.(Thanks to the Pujariji who took pains to explain this to me in Hindi as I was not very familiar with Telugu.)

https://premaarpan.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/camel-the-vahana-of-lord-hanuman/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back