• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

image of lord muruga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Muruga, as I read once, was one of the 4 Sanatkumaras originally. That, when asked by Shiva-Parvathi if he would like to be born as their son, he replied that yes he would, but devoid of any association with the Uterus. Therefore eventually he was born without sambandha of the uterus, in the form of 6 flames from Lord Shiva's 3rd eye.

Pillay.roy-Skanda Puranam is very large (in fact 3 volumes) and it is enchanting, but it was a tamil edition. Not sure whether there is any english one. Check with Giri Trading(you can google for coordinates) for english edition.

JR - Lord Kartikeya is manifestation of lord Shiva, that is why he had the power to punish Lord Brahma too. Santakumaras are manas putras of Brahma.

Recently i have received a 100 year old (may be more than that) idol from my aged relative which I was told as lord muruga with valli deivanai. I have a doubt. The posture of muruga is holding both his hands on the hip. (like panduranga) There is no vel . I doubt whether it is the idol of perumal.There is no changu chakra also. How to find. Can anyone help me.

attached picture of the idol that i mentioned in my previous post

Attachments

• 20150403_175907 (1).jpg
    20150403_175907 (1).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 253
Dear Sir,

Only 1 thing I am able to tell from the picture - that this is not Panduranga. Panduranga images/pictures/idols all come only with 1 spouse - Raghumai. Hence this cannot be Panduranga.

Thanks for your reply sir. I have found from HIndu Janajagruti Samithi that the idol is Panduranga vithal with Rai and Raghumai. I am giving the details as given By them below.

Consorts of deities are their Energies. They are of two types, saviour and destroyer. Viththal being the deity of sustenance both His Energies, that is consorts, are associated with creation and sustenance. Rai and Rukmini are Viththal’s consorts.

Rai: Rai is a particle of earth. It represents the procreative potential of the earth. [Shirish is the flower borne by mustard (rai) plant.] Rai is also known as Padmavati or Padubai. Padmakosh means the uterus.

Rukmini (Rakhumai): Rukmini means the form of a snake hole or a conch. These also represent the uterus.

I am happy that my doubt is cleared. Being a krishna devotee I am doubly happy that I got a krishna idol worshipped by my ancestors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back