• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Silver foils are not vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
SILVER FOILS ARE NOT VEGETARIAN

(This is not referring to Silver Baking Foil that is used in the West but to Indian Silver Foil that is used on Sweets) They are dirty too....

At the end of a meal, do you like to eat a pan, sweet, or perfumed sopari? And then if these things are decorated with silver foils, what more can we want? Many sweets also are decorated with silver foils.

The silver foils are not very expensive. They are sold by weight. Ordinarily, you can buy a packet of 160 foils for a price between Rs. 100 to 200. That is, approximately one rupee per foil. Not only the sweets, now a days it is also applied on fruits. Some Ayurvedic medicines also are wrapped in silver foils.

What do you think? - how are these silver foils made? Hold your breath.

They are made by hammering thin sheets of silver in middle of booklets made of a bull's intestines. In other words, after slaughtering a bull, quickly his intestines are removed, and sold to the manufacturers of foils. The skins made of old intestines are of no use. Even one-day-old intestines can not be used, because within a few hours they stiffen.

The foil manufacturer removes blood and stools from the intestines, and cuts them into pieces. Then he puts one piece over another, making a booklet out of it. At his home, or in the factory, he puts one silver (or gold) sheet in-between each page. Then he hammers it hard until those metal sheets turn into thin wafers.

The intestines of bulls are so strong, that even repeated hammering do not destroy them, or they do not let the foils move around inside. Because of the hammering, some tissues of the intestine mix with the foils. After that the foil manufacturer sells the bundle of foils to the sweets manufacturers. Some small foil manufacturers sell the foils to the temples.

This foil is not only dirty, it also is non-veg. Even the meat-eaters do not eat intestines. Use of these foils turn even sweets into non-veg food. A few years ago the Indian Airlines learned about this, and since then stopped using them on the sweets served in their planes.

Pan

By now, a pan-lover vegetarian person may have eaten equivalent of many miles of oxen intestines! For them, here is an another bad news - the Chuna that they apply on pan, also is not vegetarian! That is made from the shells of living insects. These insects are taken from the ocean, killed, and removed from the shell. Then the shells are softened in water, dried, and ground into white powder. When you put this Chuna in your mouth, you are participating in killing of many insects. This is no different from taking life of a goat or a pig. Everyone wants to live, no one likes the pain of death.

Maneka Gandhi ("Illustrated Weekly of India")

Jain World

P.J. Sir,

Thread is quite informative. Thanks for sharing.:)

Dear P J Sir,

Long before your active participation, 'silver foil' was discussed
in our forum!

Anyway, for the new entrants who are unaware of the fact, this will be news. Thanks. :)

Dear P J Sir,

Long before your active participation, 'silver foil' was discussed
in our forum!

Anyway, for the new entrants who are unaware of the fact, this will be news. Thanks. :)

I see that this posting serves no purpose except for establishment of one Member’s seniority in this Forum.

I humbly admit that I am a 'new entrant' and in fact also a 'newbie'.:)

Seniority is different from participation and observation!

Please check the date of joining - P J Sir and R R !

icon3.png
This silver foil message has been circulating around Sing. Chennai for many years now! :D

Now a days there is a new method to prepare silver foil which is purely vegetarian.

'German paper' is used for this purpose and it is available in Hyderabad.

Please see this video:

Vark making

Now a days there is a new method to prepare silver foil which is purely vegetarian.

'German paper' is used for this purpose and it is available in Hyderabad.

Please see this video:

Vark making

This news is old for me bcos I had already gone thro such sites in detail when I glanced posting No.1 today morning.

Anyway thanks for the trouble of searching and posting the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, sometimes posting very old items is misleading, and may not be true anymore.
Thanks for the update.

I clicked on the link to the 'Jain world' article that is on the OP. Nowhere from it one can find out it is old info. So if the info had been outdated, that is not PJ ji's fault.

Let people post what they find. Others can post or get to know updates if interested.

Though there may be lot of methods in preparing silver foils, who knows the method under which silver foils that are being used by the sweets shops are prepared, especially adopting new one or old one.

I just read an article in Hindu yesterday this is regarding marketing oils viz gingeli oil, coconut oil, etc by reputed brands through their modernized factories, but still there are some mills at Adyar extract oil from seeds in the traditional way, where you can get freshly pressed oils of different varieties.

The mills of yore grind slow

Read more at:
The mills of yore grind slow - The Hindu

Though there are different brands of oil marketed, it seems that this mill at Adyar which crush oil in a traditional way attract customers even today on health reasons.

There is absolutely no guarantee as to which method is adopted in the silver foil that is found in the sweets that are sold in various sweets shops.

There may be modern methods, but adopting the method mostly depends on cost factor.

As such, there is nothing wrong in knowing now about the old methods too.

Never expected that a small message of casual appreciation to a posting will generate such a heat.

Really there are good people to associate with....

Though there may be lot of methods in preparing silver foils, who knows the method under which silver foils that are being used by the sweets shops are prepared, especially adopting new one or old one.

I just read an article in Hindu yesterday this is regarding marketing oils viz gingeli oil, coconut oil, etc by reputed brands through their modernized factories, but still there are some mills at Adyar extract oil from seeds in the traditional way, where you can get freshly pressed oils of different varieties.

The mills of yore grind slow

Read more at:
The mills of yore grind slow - The Hindu

Though there are different brands of oil marketed, it seems that this mill at Adyar which crush oil in a traditional way attract customers even today on health reasons.

There is absolutely no guarantee as to which method is adopted in the silver foil that is found in the sweets that are sold in various sweets shops.

There may be modern methods, but adopting the method mostly depends on cost factor.

As such, there is nothing wrong in knowing now about the old methods too.

Never expected that a small message of casual appreciation to a posting will generate such a heat.

Really there are good people to associate with....

A few people may not agree with Mrs. RR's views, but she is correct in my opinion.

We have seen members copy pasting and posting very stale and misleading emails and blog entries just to initiate useless discussion on the same old "araicha mAvu" of caste issues, reservation issues, conversion issues, saivism vs. vaishanivasim, hinduism vs. buddhism etc. Most of the articles are neither accurate nor factual.

When the relevant information is readily available as you yourselves said you googled a particular item, why should people keep on copy pasting all and sundry things? Is this a discussion forum or a copy pasting forum question arises.

Last edited:
why should people keep on copy pasting all and sundry things? Is this a discussion forum or a copy pasting forum question arises.

I think I am not the concerned to answer this question.

I am passing on this to other members for information, consideration and necessary action.

At times Balu Sir thinks the forum is enlightening ONLY him! :tsk:

The links are posted for those who are NOT aware of the news updates! :D

Dear Narayan Sir,

Thank you very much. :)

Most of the discussions start with a C n P material but when the topic is something which came up years back, I comment!

But I find some such posts interesting because even the spelling mistakes appear and reminds me of 'ee adichchAn copy'! :)

Everything is :cool: here.
Pointing out that we discussed some topic earlier is NOT producing :flame:!!

We relish merrily discussing topics on ‘Intern-caste marriages’, Brahmin bashing, Temple worship, etc again and again endlessly and vehemently, not even with an iota of resentment about the topics repetition.

Though such topics prove ‘Araicha Mavu’, we conveniently ignore and participate with all energy and enthusiasm and fight with tooth and nail.

Nothing is cool here except for few privileged threads which thrive and flourish with the blessings of the ‘Trio brigade’.

At times Balu Sir thinks the forum is enlightening ONLY him! :tsk:

The links are posted for those who are NOT aware of the news updates! :D

RR Ji,

I don’t know really how to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the efforts, pain and strain you take at times to enlighten other members of the Forum also which is very rare gesture nowadays. And your concern to update the members with the latest development in relevant fields is really great.

Please keep it up.

Thank you once again.

Let people post what they find. Others can post or get to know updates if interested.

You are right.

We forget that we are all only a guest in this Forum and try to exercise some privilege now and then.

We have limited choice to exercise. The best choice for some will be to ignore and pass it on to new entrants as everyday some new member is being enrolled.

The Forum needs no senior member to come here merely to point out that this one was already discussed which serves no purpose. They know pretty well that they are unable to stop anyone posting such materials which are nothing but repetition.

There are threads which survive merely by posting cutting n paste materials. One should think twice.....

There is no conclusive closure to this issue. There is no guarantee that the vark, foil on sweets is veg or not. Some sweet shops offer the same sweet with and without foil topping. I never foil covered sweets, despite assurances from the vendor. It is still an unresolved issue, and there is no green dot yet.

You are right.

We forget that we are all only a guest in this Forum and try to exercise some privilege now and then.

We have limited choice to exercise. The best choice for some will be to ignore and pass it on to new entrants as everyday some new member is being enrolled.

The Forum needs no senior member to come here merely to point out that this one was already discussed which serves no purpose. They know pretty well that they are unable to stop anyone posting such materials which are nothing but repetition.

There are threads which survive merely by posting cutting n paste materials. One should think twice.....

This is the usual sage advice offerred to others.

For example, post # 4 offered no real contribution to the contents of thread as post # 3 was addressed to the attention of Sri PJ.

Why should some guests take it upon themselves to advice or admonish other members? They also could have conveniently followed their advice of "ignoring" and moved on to other things, rather than help a thread develop more and more legs with more and more guests trooping in.

Why should some guests take it upon themselves to advice or admonish other members? They also could have conveniently followed their advice of "ignoring" and moved on to other things, rather than help a thread develop more and more legs with more and more guests trooping in.

1. Source: Google images

Dear Jayashree,

I mentioned that we have discussed this topic in forum earlier. That's it.
PNKyj0ybT08FzA1aTgyfPSJTmMeivUcBwnmfGr6aqRAuZPyQFoT-sh9GWM6OBamv-R6atNgxykXgLMyzsdnYJVN29Tlb9ybaGfaP=s0-d-e1-ft

And did exactly what you have written - added update information because I was interested!

FYI, in Sing Chennai, many tambrams were upset, when the preparation of silver foils was disclosed in public
and many members in my family circle did some parihArams also. Mine was to do 101 thOppukaraNams! :decision:

After the enlightenment, I always say :nono: to silver foil topped sweets! :decision:

Dear Jayashree,

I mentioned that we have discussed this topic in forum earlier. That's it.
PNKyj0ybT08FzA1aTgyfPSJTmMeivUcBwnmfGr6aqRAuZPyQFoT-sh9GWM6OBamv-R6atNgxykXgLMyzsdnYJVN29Tlb9ybaGfaP=s0-d-e1-ft

And did exactly what you have written - added update information because I was interested!

FYI, in Sing Chennai, many tambrams were upset, when the preparation of silver foils was disclosed in public
and many members in my family circle did some parihArams also. Mine was to do 101 thOppukaraNams! :decision:

After the enlightenment, I always say :nono: to silver foil topped sweets! :decision:

Raji Madam,

I do not disagree with you posting the update -- it was good info.

I only replied to Prasad ji's comment regarding passing of misleading info. In the given example (current OP), I checked the date info in the link given and no such thing was there -- so there is no way to know if it was outdated info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back