• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Radha Kalyanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radhakalyanam

By the way I am one of the ardent fan of Radhakalyanam and Bhajans and was part of Kumbakonam Ilaingnar Bhajanai samajam during 1983-86. IN fact during that period, I was actively involved in Reviving the samajam and took active part in oraganising 3 days event every year. After that I moved to New Delhi and could not attend every year but was focussing building my career

Right now I am in Bangalore . Recently organised Radhakalyanam in my house and have uploaded 40+ videos taken by me

Please search in you tube with the search tag; RK Patham House Radhakalyanam

I will give you the link if you all interested

Dear sir,
If you wish you can do rukmini kalyanam or even jambavathi kalyanam. But, as you said the importance is given to radha kalyanam just because in bhagavatham the marriage has not taken place at all and to avoid this, bhagavathas are doing this. Radha-krishna is jeevathma-paramthma. The binding of this tatva is churning in this marriage. Whereas rukmini or any of the other wives ofkrishna cannot be taken as a example for this. Their bhakti is not equivalent to even the bhakti of a single gopika. hope you knew the "Padhathulika and Krishna's headache" story. Dont look radha as mere a gopika or a girl. She is the supreme most power in goloka (situated above sathyaloka). She is even powerful than krishna. She is one among the "Prakruthi devi". She is the creator, destroyer and protector by herself. Nowhere the details of rukmini or sathyabama have been provided like this extent in puranas. To perform this kind of marriage, we need songs (bhajans) related to it. Since there is no such songs related to other wives, it is clear about the opinion of our gurus. Of course, I heard that even rukmini kalayanam has also done. But still nothing can be equivalent to radha kalyanam.

Pranams

Thank You Tamil Brahmins. One of the visitor from Abroad has contacted the Bhagavathar who has performed in Radhakalyanam at My house after seeing the Links in this site. Ravi Bhagavathar is very impressed and he has asked me to convey his best wisehes to every one in this site

Answere to radha kalyanam!!!!!!!

In our Viallage (srivaikundam ) Every year people celebrating the Radha and Rummini kalyanams in different months.

Radha married lord krishna (manazhiga marriage) Like Andal.

Rukmini married lord krishna...(1 st wife).

Veera

Radha married lord krishna (manazhiga marriage) Like Andal.

Are you sure about this?

As far as Andal is concerned, she sang 30 pasurams during Margazi, and nothing happened. She then started Nachchiyar Thirumozi in the month of Thai with a pleading to Manmathan. Marriage came much latter.

Radha, I am not sure Krishna ever married her in the traditional sense. If I am wrong please give me some reference and straighten me out.

Cheers!

Are you sure about this?

As far as Andal is concerned, she sang 30 pasurams during Margazi, and nothing happened. She then started Nachchiyar Thirumozi in the month of Thai with a pleading to Manmathan. Marriage came much latter.

Radha, I am not sure Krishna ever married her in the traditional sense. If I am wrong please give me some reference and straighten me out.

Cheers!

In our village Perumal temple, we perform Radha Kalyanam every year.

We never perform Rukmini Kalyanam

If Radha has never married Lord Krishna, why we perform Radha Kalyanam?

All the best

If Radha has never married Lord Krishna, why we perform Radha Kalyanam?

Dear RVR, Greetings!

Good question, why do they do it?

Radha is not even mentioned in Vishnu puranam or Bhagavatham. So, this indeed is a puzzling question.

From where did Radha come? If she is a gopika, she must be somebody else's wife and Krishna was only 7 or 8, too young to marry. After he left Gokulam he never returned there.

Cheers!

Yes Nara is correct. To eradicate that only, bhagavathas are performing radha kalyanam. Krishna actually doesn't married Radha.

Pranams

Yes Nara is correct. To eradicate that only, bhagavathas are performing radha kalyanam. Krishna actually doesn't married Radha.

Not just that Durgadasan, there is no gopika called Radha mentioned in the puranas. Radha is a later invention.

Cheers!

why radha marriage??

Radha is elder then krishna correct , she never marry any one till her last breath.

Then Y we celebrating radha?

In sagalam Bramma mayam ( radha does , she seen every thing as a Krishna Only , whereever , whenever , she things krishna always with her ). The traditional marriage we talking is a formality we crated for our safety and security.

So that Even mathura(birth place of Krishna) in Temples u can see radha with krishna .. (radha human being ) then y people celebrating her with krishna.......

Only reason is ""Bakthi mayam "" it concludes if we have a real bakthi not expectational bakthi , lord will grand us also.

regards
Veera

sir
this is correct that Krishna not married with Radha . Radha elder than krishna two are three Year . they love each other very much but they not get married. their fore we perform the radha krishna kalyanam. when the mangalsutra radhaku katuvalo appo yarakume therfiyade da kattuva . jeevatha peramatthve sethu vekira madri bhavam.

I think radha is much more elder than krishna. But dont get confused with this Krishna of mahabharatha and radha of simple gokulam. In the golokam, the actual queen is shri radhika devi, who is one among the prakrithi devi. She is the queen of shri krishna and noone will be there like rukmini or sathyabama. There will be only one queen, who is noother than our heroine shri Radhika. She rules krishna like that, she made tulsi a plant, and surabhi a cow, ganga a river, who all wanted to marry Shri krishna and radha made them all like these forms.

So, Radha--Krishna marriage is a divine marriage. We cannot simply say this as Jeevathma-Paramathma Aikya Vaibava. In the bhagavatha, Radha's marriage was not at all depicted. But, every bhagavatha has enjoyed the union of radha and krishna. This is mainly beacuse of the power of radhika devi over shri krishna. The marriage is known as "Pathadi", which means in order described. As per the order already described by bhagavathas we are performing this. This radha-krishna marriage is not a bond between two bodies. Like sita-rama marriage and Lava's birth; Krishna-rukmini marriage, Prathyumna's birth, we cannot correlate this marriage. They never lived like that. Because, radha lived within the heart of krishna and vice-versa. As in the post earlier, temples have shrines for radha-krishna more than rukmini-or bama-krishna. The importance given to the divine love is always greater than a simple arranged marriage (Hope am correct). If wrong, am ready to get clarified. But my opinion is never get confused with shri krishna and radha of Bhagavad. The actual couple is residing in the golokam and these krishna and radha are just incarnations of these two.

Pranams

Namssadhsae.

I like to share a story, which I read in a different group, about one ashtapthy (authored by Jayadevar), which clearly explains the relationship between Radha & Krishna. Since this is a thread on Radha Kalyanam, this story suits here best, I think.

Jayadeva’s ‘Ashtapathi’ occupies a prominent place in any Radha Kalyanam to this day. Ashtapathi is part of the ‘Gita Govindam’ ranked as the foremost of the devotional literature and Jayadeva, the holy saint-poet, drips of love, passion, compassion and devotion in his matchless versification of the poetry on Krishna. Ashtapathi is an eight-liner of 24 verses depicting the various phases of love between Radha and Krishna. Initially it is love at first sight; then indifference peeps in; again there is passion; then jealousy creeps; again there is parting between the lovers; unable bear the pain of parting Radha sends word to Krishna but Krishna teases; then Radha recoils; finally Krishna rushes to surrender unto Radha’s love and there is holy union. The 21st Ashtapathi is called ‘Madhava Sameepam’ meaning the proximity of Krishna to Radha, wherein their differences vanish and the 22nd, ‘Kalyana Ashtapathi’ or in other words the holy union of Radha and Krishna thus becoming Radhe-Krishna as one.

Two Bhagavathars, one dressed as Krishna and the other as Radha, draped in a sari dance to the mellow verses of Jayadeva. On the one side, the bold passion of Krishna and a shy Radha retreating. The scene changes in a flash. A teasing Krishna to the passionate advances of Radha; again a change of scene in a spark! The disappointed love lorn Radha weeping that melts everyone's heart; again a Krishna in the height of passion uttering the poem,

‘Smara garala khandanam, mama sirasi mandanam, dehi pada pallava mudharam’

(Oh Radha! Place your tender leaf-like soft feet upon my head to cool down my hot scorching passion)

There is an interesting story behind this verse. Jayadeva in a state of ecstasy and frenzy composed the holy Ashtapathi and this particular verse scarcely cognizant of his physical consciousness. After writing he used to review the verses and while thus going through it, was shocked to find that he had put an irreverent and ‘atrocious’ statement of Radha ‘placing her feet upon the head of Krishna, the supreme God’. Vexed, he struck out the lines and put the palm leaves aside and proceeded to the river to take oil bath. After a lapse of some time, his wife Padmavathi was surprised to find her husband return from the river with oil dripping from his hair and face and ask for the palm leaves. To her query, her husband answered that he had had a sudden inspiration to pen a new song and might forget if he did not jot it down immediately and hence returned. Padmavathi struck by this unusual behaviour of her husband, nevertheless brought out the palm leaves and writing material whereupon, Jayadeva scribbled something and went back to the bath. After the daily poojas and meals, a stunned Jayadeva commanded his wife as to who had come in the middle and written down once again what he had already deleted. Again an amazed Padmavathi reiterated that he only returned in the middle of the oil bath and scribbled something on the palm leaves and went back. Stupefied, Jayadeva found the very exact words that he had previously written reinstated back in place and realized that Sri Krishna Himself had come in his form and written the verse again. He hugged the palm leaves and beat on his chest and lamented that he, the devotee could not have a glimpse of the Almighty, but his wife without any devotional effort had seen Him. But again a thought took hold of him – wasn’t this uncomplaining, toiling Padmavathi, ever serving him putting up with his most unruly habits, a Karma Yogi, a real devotee of Him and hadn’t he neglected her as an ignorant and crude woman? When reality thus dawned upon him, he saluted his wife and penned an instant poem extolling her virtues and feeling pride in being her husband:

‘Padmavathi Ramanam – Jayadeva Kavirayam’

(I, the poet Jayadeva is in sooth the husband of Padmavathi)

Incidentally, it is only too true that God Almighty reveals His presence first to the consort of the devotee and next only to the devotee. Saint Thyagaraja, beheld the holy vision of Sri Rama, his deity, only after his wife perceived Him.

Jayadeva’s ‘Ashtapathi’ occupies a prominent place in any Radha Kalyanam to this day. Ashtapathi is part of the ‘Gita Govindam’ ranked as the foremost of the devotional literature and Jayadeva, the holy saint-poet, drips of love, passion, compassion and devotion in his matchless versification of the poetry on Krishna. Ashtapathi is an eight-liner of 24 verses depicting the various phases of love between Radha and Krishna. Initially it is love at first sight; then indifference peeps in; again there is passion; then jealousy creeps; again there is parting between the lovers; unable bear the pain of parting Radha sends word to Krishna but Krishna teases; then Radha recoils; finally Krishna rushes to surrender unto Radha’s love and there is holy union. The 21st Ashtapathi is called ‘Madhava Sameepam’ meaning the proximity of Krishna to Radha, wherein their differences vanish and the 22nd, ‘Kalyana Ashtapathi’ or in other words the holy union of Radha and Krishna thus becoming Radhe-Krishna as one.

Two Bhagavathars, one dressed as Krishna and the other as Radha, draped in a sari dance to the mellow verses of Jayadeva. On the one side, the bold passion of Krishna and a shy Radha retreating. The scene changes in a flash. A teasing Krishna to the passionate advances of Radha; again a change of scene in a spark! The disappointed love lorn Radha weeping that melts everyone's heart; again a Krishna in the height of passion uttering the poem,

(Oh Radha! Place your tender leaf-like soft feet upon my head to cool down my hot scorching passion)

There is an interesting story behind this verse. Jayadeva in a state of ecstasy and frenzy composed the holy Ashtapathi and this particular verse scarcely cognizant of his physical consciousness. After writing he used to review the verses and while thus going through it, was shocked to find that he had put an irreverent and ‘atrocious’ statement of Radha ‘placing her feet upon the head of Krishna, the supreme God’. Vexed, he struck out the lines and put the palm leaves aside and proceeded to the river to take oil bath. After a lapse of some time, his wife Padmavathi was surprised to find her husband return from the river with oil dripping from his hair and face and ask for the palm leaves. To her query, her husband answered that he had had a sudden inspiration to pen a new song and might forget if he did not jot it down immediately and hence returned. Padmavathi struck by this unusual behaviour of her husband, nevertheless brought out the palm leaves and writing material whereupon, Jayadeva scribbled something and went back to the bath. After the daily poojas and meals, a stunned Jayadeva commanded his wife as to who had come in the middle and written down once again what he had already deleted. Again an amazed Padmavathi reiterated that he only returned in the middle of the oil bath and scribbled something on the palm leaves and went back. Stupefied, Jayadeva found the very exact words that he had previously written reinstated back in place and realized that Sri Krishna Himself had come in his form and written the verse again. He hugged the palm leaves and beat on his chest and lamented that he, the devotee could not have a glimpse of the Almighty, but his wife without any devotional effort had seen Him. But again a thought took hold of him – wasn’t this uncomplaining, toiling Padmavathi, ever serving him putting up with his most unruly habits, a Karma Yogi, a real devotee of Him and hadn’t he neglected her as an ignorant and crude woman? When reality thus dawned upon him, he saluted his wife and penned an instant poem extolling her virtues and feeling pride in being her husband:

Incidentally, it is only too true that God Almighty reveals His presence first to the consort of the devotee and next only to the devotee. Saint Thyagaraja, beheld the holy vision of Sri Rama, his deity, only after his wife perceived Him.

A story in Ashtapathi Jayadeva’s ‘Ashtapathi’ occupies a prominent place in any Radha Kalyanam to this day. Ashtapathi is part of the ‘Gita Govindam’ ranked as the foremost of the devotional literature and Jayadeva, the holy saint-poet, drips of love, passion, compassion and devotion in his matchless versification of the poetry on Krishna. Ashtapathi is an eight-liner of 24 verses depicting the various phases of love between Radha and Krishna. Initially it is love at first sight; then indifference peeps in; again there is passion; then jealousy creeps; again there is parting between the lovers; unable bear the pain of parting Radha sends word to Krishna but Krishna teases; then Radha recoils; finally Krishna rushes to surrender unto Radha’s love and there is holy union. The 21st Ashtapathi is called ‘Madhava Sameepam’ meaning the proximity of Krishna to Radha, wherein their differences vanish and the 22nd, ‘Kalyana Ashtapathi’ or in other words the holy union of Radha and Krishna thus becoming Radhe-Krishna as one.

It appears that Radha Kalyanam is an imaginery one by the baghavathas with bhakthi and jeevathma/paramAthma concepts ........

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!" _ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Dear Uncle

There are nomore examples I think except Jayadev and Thyagaraja. Might be few others in Mahabhaktha vijayam (like wife of purandaradasa, Namadev, etc.). But with this we cannot conclude statement like that I think. What do you think about saints Annamayya, Ramanuja, Ramadasar, and so on. The wives of the saints had a darshan just because of their Sanchita Karma Bhala. Others doesn't since they doesn't possess them. That is the fact. Just not because of the saint's wife status, they had darshan of lord I think.

Even in bhakthavijaya, may of the relatives of Bhaktha have been quarelled and even fighted directly with Panduranga. That happened because of their karmas. A good satsang can bring out anything, which I also agree. But even for that also their own karmas should allow...

Radha kalyanam is performed only on the basis of Jayadev's Asthapathi. This particular kalyana asthapathi has got its own fame like this. Even in the other asthapathis also, radha has been treated almost equal to krishna by Jayadev. The details of Radha, the daughter of Vrishabhanu in that birth, is coming in Bhagavatham until krishna went to mathura. But after which, the details of even Nandakoba- Yasodha themselves have been missed I think. But the divine pair radha-krishna marriage has got its fame thro bhagavathas.

Pranams

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back