• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Korkai - a review of the book and joe de cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

Just completed Joe De Cruz’ Sahitya Academy winning magum opus Korkai. All 1174 pages of it in 11 days starting Feb 21. What helped was that the first week was a cruise in the Caribbean, and being isolated in a balcony overlooking the sea, was just about the perfect environment to tackle this gigantic effort.

This was my second attempt at reading this novel. About 8 months ago, I started it, and gave up after about 30 pages. All the conversations are in local dialect (vattaara thamizh) of tuticorin, and at that time, I simply did not have the patience or the urge to tackle it. But the matter was bothering me all these months, and this time, right from the start, I determined that I will go through every line every word, from start to finish. And there is now, an immense satisfaction on completion and also an increased appreciation of the author.

The story is long overdue. About the paradhavars – the seafaring community on the south east coast of tamil nadu. A very ancient community of mariners, whose history is entwined with the equally ancient historic Tamils of the Sangam age. Paradhavars built ships, manned and navigated them, and provided the brawn, for the Tamil exapnsions into South East Asia. And for trade with the distant lands of Arabia, China, Greece and Rome. Artificats regularly found in Tamil Nadu provide ample evidence of the interaction with these civilizations and Tamil lore is full of the glory of Korkai and Kaveripoompattinam, along with Musiris and other ports.

With the decline of the Tamil kingdoms around 1300s, the paradhavars lot too declined, and they basically eked out a living by fishing and pearl diving along the coastlines. Even long range shipping appers to have been abandoned and only coastal sail boat shipping to Ceylon and Western India practised. Tiruchendur Murugan is their community God, one of their daughters, Devayani. So every paradhavar fisherman to this day, on departing to their daily fishing, break a coconut to their macchaan (brother in law) Murugan of Tiruchendur, on passing that temple. And further down, another coconut to their Supreme Mother, the Kanyakumari. Such is their lore.

About 500 years ago, their life was threatened by the Muslim rulers who south prior to the European invasion. Threatened, the paradhavar chieftains sought support from the Portuguese, who embraced them, along with the Roman church, and the entire community converted to Catholicism, believing, addition of one more god to their daily worship is not all that a big deal. They realized how wrong this assumption was, when over the course of the centuries, mother church, denied them the comfort of their ancestral worships and insisted on Jesus of Nazareth as the only true messiah. To this insistence stands the monumental Church of our Lady of Snows Basilica in Tuticorin, the prime worshipping place of the community.

Joe is very much aware of the paradhavar history and has taken upon himself, to write it, legends, hand me down stories and verbal communications passed down the generations. And it is long overdue, as the community, like all others around the world, is feeling the impact of globalization. Youth are moving away from fishing and going to education and in the process emigration to cities and foreign lands. The generation that moves, returns annually to Our Lady for the festival, but with the following generation the relationship begins to become tenuous.

Korkai spans over 100 years the lives of several prominent families and I will not go into details of the saga. It is like any other massive book, spanning generations. Rich people, poor people, good nasty ambitious wastrel all are there. And in good numbers too. I was very surprised by a few things mentioned in the book.

The first was how close the community had trade and emotional links with Ceylon. Till recently ie 35-40 years ago, they appear to be joined at the hips. Not only movement, but immigrating/emigrating/marriage all appear to be common along with commercial links. Like the Jaffna Tamils, paradhavars too appear to have done well commercially in Colombo, much to the jealousy of the Buddhist Lankans, who eventually used their majority power to destroy the Tamil domination of both, the business and government service.

Joe De Cruz is also fascinated by the rise of the nadars, who gradually became the dominant business rulers of Tuticorin/Korkai. He summarizes their formula as such: Caste above everything else. Loyalty to caste superseded loyalty to religion. Hindu Protestant (CSI) and Catholic nadars intermarried and watched out for each other. The rule of the elders was absolute and the community listened to them.

Business was considered superior to education. Joint family sustained the folks while enabling to invest in businesses and also provide a cushion for any losses. The start of the Nadar Bank was crucial in ensuring community money stayed within, and also provided seed money to businesses all over India. So in less than 100 years, nadars, whose chief occupation was toddy tapping, have today among the richest communities of India, and definitely, in my opinion, the richest and most influential and respected in Tamil Nadu.

Joe narrates the nadar story wistfully, often comparing it with his own paradhavars, whom he finds, disunited and constantly quarrelling with each other. Often they gang up with other communities plotting against their own people, and as a result, today, the community finds itself disenfranchised and also in deep trouble. The disenfranchisement is due to absence of numbers. Though significant in population, the paradhavars are spread all along the coast, and as such, cannot influence the result of even one constituency, which matters a lot, in these days of caste politics and seats in the Assembly.

The vast majority, still working in the seas, find their fishing grounds raped by mechanized trawlers from other parts of Tamil Nadu and India (Andhra?). Add to it, their traditional fishing grounds now fall under the purvey of international borders with Sri Lanka. Waters where the paradhavars have moved and tended without fear and with feeling of ownership from times immemorial, are now taboo and thanks to insensitive politics from distant Delhi, makes their case even worse, when faced with the over vigilant Buddhist fanatic Sri Lankan naval forces.

The novel is full of stories and incidents between nadars and paradhavars – there is mutual respect on either side, even as paradhavars feel their grip on the land/business/fishing slowly slipping away from them. There are a couple of Muslims and Pillais. What surprised me was the presence of Tamil Brahmins. The agitation of R.H.Nathan on behalf of the paradhavars, who were held in feudal status by Muslim businessmen for over centuries, is well documented and that is the only time Tambrams come out smelling good. The other characters are either sleazy or of loose morals, and to me, it feels more like an add on which, otherwise, the book could have done without. But any Tamil book of worth today, has to mention something of the Brahmins, and since Periyar, none too favourably either. Such is that!!

I like the paradhavar women as presented in the book. Feisty lot they are, and enterprising and ambitious. Joe does not spare them either, of morality or religiosity; and for this I could name other communities of Tamil Nadu, where he would have been ostracized or whipped into submission. Though I have heard of some opposition to Korkai among the Church or in his own native Uvari, it is to the credit of the paradhavar community, that Joe De Cruz, by and large, is viewed as a hero by them, a great role model and inspirer. And rightfully so too. That he could have been another ‘Perumal Murugan’ is indeed a chilling thought, and I am personally very happy at Joe’s popularity and busy public engagements, where he ever always exhorts his youth to greater heights and a brighter future.

Thank You Joe for this wonderful book and I am eagerly looking forward to his next, supposedly about modern shipping practices in Tamil Nadu?

To end this rather long ditty, with a personal note of regret. I feel sad that we do not know the names of those paradhavar admirals who guided the Chola ships to glory in Kadaram, Sri Vijaya, Khamboj, China and elsewhere. We only know of the king's names like Rajaraja or Rajendra Chola. Unlike the Europeans who gave full credit to the mariners - everyone all over the world knows Columbus and DaGama. Maybe their names are lying around in some palm leaf in some obscure monastry around Nagapattinam or Pudukottai and all it takes is another UVeSa to discover it.

Addendum: I would be remiss, especially being a loyal and ardent tamil, albeit from west of the ghats, smile emoticon, and bearing the name of subramania, not to mention about the Santana Mariamman.
Throughout Korkai, one has been made to feel the presence of this ancient Mother Divinity who has been the caretaker and saviour of the paradhavars. Truly a great tamil tradition, like baghavathis of malabar, of whom I am somewhat familiar with, and one of whom, is my own kuladeivam.

One gets the impression, that 500 years of catholicism has not quite wiped out the feelings and reverence, for this rather abandoned temple's presence, both as a physical entity and more than that, in the hearts of the paradhavars. Considering the uncompromising attitudes of the Church, I am very surprised at this enduring and lingering worship.

Samanth Subramanian in his book Following Fish, refers to this rather forlorn abandoned but clean temple, and compares it with the bustles Catholic Basilica. Joe's Santana Mariamman is anything but that. She is there at times of trouble as a sanctuary, the non brahmin priest ever respected and above all, a succour and familiar presence, in this ever daunting and unknown career of the paradhavar fisherman.

Last edited:
Joe De Cruz is also fascinated by the rise of the nadars, who gradually became the dominant business rulers of Tuticorin/Korkai. He summarizes their formula as such: Caste above everything else. Loyalty to caste superseded loyalty to religion. Hindu Protestant (CSI) and Catholic nadars intermarried and watched out for each other. The rule of the elders was absolute and the community listened to them.

Sir,

I had been through the review. It gave a nice reading and I enjoyed it.

I was hooked here: Loyalty to caste superseded loyalty to religion. Hindu Protestant (CSI) and Catholic nadars intermarried and watched out for each other. The rule of the elders was absolute and the community listened to them.

Way back in 2008, when there was no vacancy for an Officer post at the entire Chennai City, I was posted at Tuticorin and I served there for more than a year staying alone in a Govt. Quarters. That was an interesting tenure for a city bird. In fact, I enjoyed my stay at Tuticorin and found people are very friendly and it was an nice experience. Only thing is there were only two or three decent vegetarian restaurants then

I also had the golden opportunity of participating in the celebration of Annual Festival of ‘Our Lady of Snows Church, that was an exciting experience.

Your review took me to my 'Tuticorin days', really cherishing

Thanks.

I would like to share the following interview material published in the Hindu -Tamil, for the pleasure of reading.

மொதல்ல இங்க ஒத்தும வேணும்யா!- ஜோ டி குரூஸ் பேட்டி

joe_d_cruz1_2108268f.jpg

சென்னை, ராயபுரத்தில் நெரிசலான வீடுகளில் ஒன்றின் சின்ன அறை. சரக்கு மற்றும் கப்பல் போக்குவரத்தில் முன்னணியில் இருக்கும் நிறுவனம் ஒன்றின் தலைவரின் அறை அது என்றால், யாரும் நம்ப மாட்டார்கள். “இதுதாம் நம்ம எழுத்துலகம், வர்றீயளா கடக்கரைக்குப் போய்ப் பேசலாம்?” - சிரிக்கிறார் ஜோ டி குரூஸ். ‘ஆழி சூழ் உலகு’, ‘கொற்கை’ நாவல்களின் மூலம் தமிழ்க் கடலோடிகளின் பல்லாயிரமாண்டு வரலாற்றையும் வாழ்க்கையையும் ரத்தமும் சதையுமாகத் தந்தவர். கடலோடி, படைப்பாளி என்பதைத் தாண்டி, உலகெங்கும் தான் சார்ந்த தொழில் நிமித்தம் சுற்றியவர். கடலோடிகளின் நேற்று, இன்று, நாளைபற்றிப் பேசச் சரியான ஆள்.

எண்ணூர் கடற்கரை. “வசதி வரும் போவும்... மனுசம் பழச மறக்கக் கூடாது. அதாம் ராயபுரத்துல இருக்கம். இங்க வீட்டப் பூட்டற பழக்கமில்லய்யா. சுத்தி நம்ம சனம். எதுக்குப் பயம்? உவரியில எங்காத்தா கடல் பக்கம் புள்ளயள வுட மாட்டா. ஆனா, எத அவ செய்யக் கூடாதுன்னு சொன்னாளோ, அதத்தாம் செஞ்சம். விடியப் பொறுக்காம ஓடிப் போயி கடக்கரயில நிப்பம். வலயோட கட்டிக்கிட்டுக் கட்டுமரத்தக் கர வுடுவாறு தாத்தா தொம்மந்திரை. கோவண ஈரம் சொட்டச் சொட்ட நிக்கிற அவுரு காலக் கட்டிக்கிட்டு நிப்பம். காத்துக் காலமா இருந்தா, ஆழிமேல உருண்டு அடிபட்டு வருவாங்க. பருமல் முறிஞ்சி, பாய் கிழிஞ்சி, நெஞ்சில அடிபட்டு, பேச்சிமூச்சி இல்லாம, கை கால் ஒடிஞ்சி, பாக்க பரிதாவமா இருக்கும். காலம் எவ்வளவோ ஓடிட்டு. எஞ் சனத்தோட நெலம மாறலீயே?” - கடற்கரையில் கிடக்கும் கட்டுமரம் ஒன்றில் உட்காருகிறார்.

Read more at:
?????? ???? ?????? ????????!- ?? ?? ?????? ??????? - ?? ?????

Sir,

I had been through the review. It gave a nice reading and I enjoyed it.

I was hooked here: Loyalty to caste superseded loyalty to religion. Hindu Protestant (CSI) and Catholic nadars intermarried and watched out for each other. The rule of the elders was absolute and the community listened to them.

Way back in 2008, when there was no vacancy for an Officer post at the entire Chennai City, I was posted at Tuticorin and I served there for more than a year staying alone in a Govt. Quarters. That was an interesting tenure for a city bird. In fact, I enjoyed my stay at Tuticorin and found people are very friendly and it was an nice experience. Only thing is there were only two or three decent vegetarian restaurants then

I also had the golden opportunity of participating in the celebration of Annual Festival of ‘Our Lady of Snows Church, that was an exciting experience.

Your review took me to my 'Tuticorin days', really cherishing

Thanks.

dear VB,

certain things have changed, i hear these days, within the nadar community, from the practices of even 30 years ago.

today the community is split into polarized 3 sets ie CSI Catholic and Hindu. No more intermarriage. Now that the nadars have money and power, the erstwhile dharmakarthas of all the temples receive the nadar community leaders with kumbabishekam. the RSS in Kanyakumari is led by a nadar and also in many other places. such are the changes of today :).

also the nadars and the gounders, though having not much to do with or love for brahmins, are the core of the BJP in tamil nadu. go figure that out.

Sir,

In Tamil Nadu , during the recent Lok Sabha Election, out of 39 seats, AIADMK was able to bag 37 seats and one seat was won by BJP and that was at Kanyakumari with a margin of 1,28,662 votes.

It is reported that this constituency has more than 44% Christian votes and it is the BJP that won the seat. A Hindu leader was elected whereas his three opponents who were all Christian candidates all defeated though there were 44% of Christian votes.

What does this imply?

I have given two links which are self-explanatory.

Division in Christian votes, Modi wave could help BJP in Kanyakumari | Business Standard News

BJP looks to Christian votes in Kanyakumari | UCAN India

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back