• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rahu kaalam

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you need to remember is the phrase " [--Mother Saw Father Wearing The Turban Slowly.]"

Mother = Monday = 7:30 - 9:00
Saw = Saturday = 9:00 - 10:30
Father = Friday = 10:30 - 12:00
Wearing = Wednesday = 12:00 - 13:30
The = Thursday = 13:30 - 15:00
Turban = Tuesday = 15:00 - 16:30
Slowly = Sunday = 16:30 - 18:00

Courtesy:Wiki

Thank you
Is there any in Tamil

Ran my imaginations bit wild..

தினசரி சந்தையில் வெண்ணை புளி வியாபாரம் செய்வது ஞாயிட்டுகிழமை

Thinashari Chandhayil Vennai Puzhi vhiyabharam seivadhu Gnaittukilamai

Beautiful. Got one too on my mail

Thiruchendur Sannithiyil Vetrilai Pushpam Vittra Chettiyarum Gnaniyaanaare

Regards

I think it would be more interesting to know,What is Raahu Kaalam(?)

The lunar nodes are the orbital nodes of the Moon, that is, the points where the orbit of the Moon crosses the ecliptic (which is the apparent path of the Sun across the heavens against the background stars)=Ayanam(not given in the reference cited)--. The ascending node is where the moon crosses to the north of the ecliptic. The descending node is where it crosses to the south.

The nodes are called by different names in different areas of the world.

The ascending node is the point of intersection between the ecliptic and the plane of the lunar orbit where the Moon is ascending from the South to the North, It is called the North node. In ancient European texts, it is referred to as the dragon's head .(this is denoted by Greek Alphabet Capital Omega).Similarly the descending node is the point where the Moon is descending from North to South, and is referred to as South node. It is also known as the dragon's tail

In Hindu astronomy, the ascending node is called Rahu and the descending node is called Ketu. (Reference:-Wikipedia)

somayaji:- The Hindu Astronomers sarva sri.Laagada-Arya Bhatta,-Varahamihira-Brahma Guptha,Bhaskara-I and II--have mentioned about Rahu and Kethu in their work and have precisely calculated the period of Ascension(for all th 7 week days) as 3.75 Nadi =1.5 hours for each day at different times of the day, at the ascending order given hereunder-M-S-F-W-Th-Tu-Su-(Mother Saw Father Wearing The Turban Suddenly. ) .This is Hindu Astronomy.

Hindu Astrology(Brhat jaadhakam):-In Ascension the Moon comes in between the Sun and the Earth and though there will not be an Eclipse, for about 3.75 Nadis(One Naadi=24 minutes) the Sun light is prevented from falling on the Earth and the minute/miniature shadow in some very small corner of the Earth, is considered as "Inauspicious" for Earth in Hindu Astrology.

"Raahu Grastha Diwaakarendu (Divaakara(sun) +Indu(moon)) Satruso"--the moon shadow (Rahu) like a serpent gripping the sun--(Ref:-Acharya SANKARA in sri.Dhakshinamurthy Ashtakam)

During descencion the earth comes in between the Sun and Moon.Even there is a Minute shadow of Earth it would fall only on the moon--and life is NOT yet detected in moon.So there is NO KETHU Kaalam for the living organisms on Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rahu Kaalam

Why is there a Rahu Kaalam (In-auspicious time) section in the newspapers in India?
Who follows it in the world? Only Hinduism is following it and that too only in India. If the time between 8 and 9 is Rahu Kaalam on certain day, we will not do any work or leave home or attend any important business. Do westerners follow such a habit? How about Russians? No sensible passion follows such a time wasting billing faith in the name of religion.

Why is there a Rahu Kaalam (In-auspicious time) section in the newspapers in India?
Who follows it in the world? Only Hinduism is following it and that too only in India. If the time between 8 and 9 is Rahu Kaalam on certain day, we will not do any work or leave home or attend any important business. Do westerners follow such a habit? How about Russians? No sensible passion follows such a time wasting billing faith in the name of religion.

Mr. Gladguy, No where it is said that we should not do any work during Rahu Kalam. Any auspecious work should not be started during Rahu Kalam. Since Rahu Kalam, Navagraha, etc., are related to Hindu Tradition, how can one expects a non-Hindu to follow this tradition. What tradition and culture do the Westerns have in life. Whatever few of them following today is only the quotes from the Vedas.

For me both Rahu kalam and Yamakandam are good; I rather prefer to start the work during that time. only thing I start with a small prayer to Godess Durga( Raahu athidevethai)

Some of my relatives in Kerala don't bother about Rahu kalam. When I enquired, they said Rahu Kalam is not meant for our community.

I request our members of Kerala origin to enlighten us more on the subject

Shree R.Venkataramani,

As Palakkad Brahmins,we follow Rahu Kaalam,Yama Gandam,Sagunam...sometimes when work is very important,we pray to Shakthi Swaroopini Durga,and proceed;so that work is not obstructed with unforeseen forces of evil.

gopal.

Rahu kaalam must be same for everybody!

Dear Mr. Iyer:

Are you implying that these Rahu Kaalam, Yama Kandam, etc., affect only Hindus? I am not sure if this is a tradition or a superstition? I may be wrong - but except people in Tamil Nadu, no other part of India uses this. Do our Vedas talk about this?
Thanks

Mr. Gladguy, No where it is said that we should not do any work during Rahu Kalam. Any auspecious work should not be started during Rahu Kalam. Since Rahu Kalam, Navagraha, etc., are related to Hindu Tradition, how can one expects a non-Hindu to follow this tradition. What tradition and culture do the Westerns have in life. Whatever few of them following today is only the quotes from the Vedas.

there is one in tamil

Thirunaal Sandhadhiyil Veyilil Purappattu Villayada Chellvadhu Gnyama ?

Th - Thingal or Monday 7.30 -9.00 am
San--- Sani or Saturday - 9.00 - 10.30 am.
Vey -- Velli or Friday - 10.30am to 12.00 pm.
Pu - Budha or Wednesday - 12.00 pm to 1.30 pm.
Vili - Vyazhan or Thursday - 1.30 pm to 3.00 pm.
Che - Chevvai or Tuesday - 3.00 pm to 4.30 pm.
Gnya - Gnyairu or Sunday - 4.30 pm to 6.00 pm.

நாள் என்ன செய்யும் வினைதான் என்ன செய்யும் எனைநாடி வந்த கோள் என்ன செய்யும் குமரேசர் இரு தோளும் சிலம்பும் சலங்கையும்
கடம்பும் சண்முகமும் என் கண் முன்னெ தோன்றினவே

Arunagirinathar's above stanza says Date, Time and Navagrahas will not affect him when he visualises Lord Subramanya

Thinugnana Sambandar's Kolaru Pathigam also conveys the same message that all the navagrahas will turn good since he keeps Lord Shiva in his heart.

Infact all the Navagrahas are looking in the same direction to Lord Thiagaraja at Tiruvarur. Probably if one worships Lord Thiagaraja, all the navagrahas will turn good.

Vaishnavites generally surrender before Lord Vishnu and believe navagrahas will not affect them. Infact we cannot see Navagrahas in Perumal temples

Some of my relatives in Kerala don't bother about Rahu kalam. When I enquired, they said Rahu Kalam is not meant for our community.

I request our members of Kerala origin to enlighten us more on the subject

It is a question of faith and trust. As long as you don't encounter any obstacles which may prompt your mind to think that it happened because of starting at Raahu Kaalam, it is okay. Of late so many customs and rituals and strictures are not being followed/adhered and we also conveniently justify for non-observance too !!

Having said that, it may be at times not possible to adhere also, in which case one offers a prayer and sets off....

veeyen:yield:

One example;Sun Light is crucial for living organisms.Similiarly Navagrahas reflected and refracted rays of light affect organisms.Humans are bundles of mass,fluids..etc and these rays of light or jyothi affect our various levels of layer bodies or koshas,either directly or subtly.That is why Jyotisham is an angam of vedam.Faith is what,is most important.Majority Westerners love Jesus Christ,and expect his grace to ward of evil rays of light,which again is faith based.As prior to Jesus Christ,is our Vedic Religion,which is the foundation of all religions in the world,one way or the other.Rahu is the North Node and Kethu is the South Node of the Moons orbit,between earth,sun,moon;creating a eclipse of light.Thank You!

gopal.

ragu kaalam saying

உங்கள் குழந்தைகளை நினைத்துக்கொண்டு ....

திருவிழா மயத்தில் வெளியில் புறப்பட்டு விளையாட செல்வது ஞாயமா

With my experience of travelling all over India excpe for the north eastern 5 states I can say hat mainly in Tamilnadu and a part of Andhra Pradesh Rahukalam is stricyly followed.Some states have no Knowledge of the same

from Where & when was Raghu Kalam and emmakandam first mentioned in our Hindu
scriptures and originate

Rahu Kalam time differs at different countries.
Monday 7:30 to 9 AM is Rahu Kalam in India.
But, in USA, the sun rise time and set time are different and hence the Rahu kalam may need time adjustment to USA time depending on the season etc. I am not sure about it. But, I beilieve in the rahu kalam and try to start important work before or after Rahu kalam.
Some people say that Kerala Brahmins need not follow Rahu Kalam ( I do not know the reasons).

Dear Mr. Iyer:

Are you implying that these Rahu Kaalam, Yama Kandam, etc., affect only Hindus? I am not sure if this is a tradition or a superstition? I may be wrong - but except people in Tamil Nadu, no other part of India uses this. Do our Vedas talk about this?
Thanks
Not only Rahu Kalam Yemmakandam times, but many other aspects of our ancestral beliefs should not be analyzed in the present day context. Beliefs and traditions vary from place to place. I do not think that the argument Rahu Kalam etc. is not observed in North India is correct. We in Tamil Nadu eat Idly and Dhosai that is not eaten by people in North India. Even NASA is skeptic about No.13 (What happened to Appollo 13 mission?). Therefore the beliefs should not be questioned. Can anyone prove that Rahu Kalam is NOT harmful? It is the responsibility of the challenger to prove his/her point. The believer need not.

re

from Where & when was Raghu Kalam and emmakandam first mentioned in our Hindu
scriptures and originate

Shree Ambes,

From the time of panchangam ie Vara (Day), Tithi (Lunar Day), Nakshatra (Star), Yogam (Luni Solar Day) and Karana (Semi Lunar Day).We also calculate Muhurthams as shubha muhurtham and ashubha muhurthams.

This dating is done from Vedic religion started.Initially only brahmins were passing this technology orally but as kaliyugam progressed we have learnt to write them as scriptures.Thank you !.

gopal.

I am given to understand that the concept of 'week' having 7 days each named after a planet is not found in the Veda Samhitas and Upanishads. It came into vogue only after Sangam period. When there is no mention of Sunday, Monday etc. in the Vedas how can we say that the concept of Rahu kalam is vedic? I want to be enlightened as to what I heard was right or not. Perhaps Mr Ramachandran who is a research scholar in Vedas will be able to guide me. And also Mr Swaminatha Sarma who is a research astrologer.

I checked with many NIs and they all tel me they don't know anything about 'rahu kaalam'. What does you eating Idly have to do with North Indians? By the way, Idly and dosai are eaten regularly these days thruout NI.
Of course, all the western world (many people believe 13 is bad) knows that this is a superstition.
I have purposely done many things during 'rahu kaalam' and have successfully achieved my goals. Therefore, this is just a superstition.

Not only Rahu Kalam Yemmakandam times, but many other aspects of our ancestral beliefs should not be analyzed in the present day context. Beliefs and traditions vary from place to place. I do not think that the argument Rahu Kalam etc. is not observed in North India is correct. We in Tamil Nadu eat Idly and Dhosai that is not eaten by people in North India. Even NASA is skeptic about No.13 (What happened to Appollo 13 mission?). Therefore the beliefs should not be questioned. Can anyone prove that Rahu Kalam is NOT harmful? It is the responsibility of the challenger to prove his/her point. The believer need not.

To All: The Time(Kalam) is always good,no bad or goodtime,every thing happened to systematic prerecored things at the time of birth. InnorthIndia,NEstates EastIndia and WestIndia no RaguKalam and others.Mainly in TamilNadu and a part of Andhra people follow this. This RaguKalam and Emagandam started from the Time of invader from Krishnadavharayer kingdom to Tamilnadu(Madurai).And No TamilScripture says about this. Those who belive in god then why should see all this. S.R.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back