• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A simple Jeera Rasam

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple Jeera Rasam

10802073_10205112140256969_7835815437174175223_n.jpg

This is a very simple rasam with no addition of even dal. Just a few regular ingredients and you have a hearty rasam ready in minutes. This rasam is great on the days when you are down with fever, cold or cough. The black pepper and cumin have a soothing effect.

What you’ll need

1. Tamarind – gooseberry sized ball
  2. Pepper Powder – ½ - 1 tsp
  3. Jeera Powder – 1.5 tsp
  4. Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
  5. Salt to taste
  6. Curry Leaves – few springs

For tempering

1. Ghee – 1 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  3. Jeera – ½ tsp

Method

1. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes
  2. Squeeze and take out the extract. Add about 2 cups of water to this and transfer it to a vessel.
  3. Now add the turmeric powder, pepper powder, and salt to taste. Also tear a few curry leaves and add it.
  4. Now bring this to a boil. Let it boil for 6 to 8 minutes now add the jeera powder and around a cup more of water.
  5. Simmer until the rasam starts frothing.
  6. Remove from heat.
  7. Heat a small frying pan with ghee, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Pour the tempering over the rasam. Cover and rest it for few minutes before serving. The resting time is for the flavours to mingle well.

Serve hot with rice ot drink it as it is.

Source:Recipes of Palakkad

Kaveri Venkatesh

One requires a NB cook to make it. I have one. the rasam with garlic is delicious
:lol: Joke of the day!

Any lady who can tolerate the smell of garlic and easily prepare this rasam!

One does not need to employ a N B cook! :nono:

P.S: Advice is the easiest one to give FREE! :thumb:

Sir,
I went to the site and was disappointed that they put Garlic, what kind of TB does that. LOL

Iyers will generally use Garlic. It has got medicinal value and good for Cholesterol.

:lol: Joke of the day!

Any lady who can tolerate the smell of garlic and easily prepare this rasam!

One does not need to employ a N B cook! :nono:

P.S: Advice is the easiest one to give FREE! :thumb:
I have not advocated employing NB cook.

if brahmin wife refuses to make garlic rasam what is the alternative. find someone who will accept to do it . normally NBs do not refuse.

1. I have not advocated employing NB cook.

2. if brahmin wife refuses to make garlic rasam what is the alternative. find someone who will accept to do it . normally NBs do not refuse.
1. :cool:

2. Easy solution is learn to make it yourself or go to a good restaurant! :hungry:

People in North India especially in Maharastra use Garlic in their food.I lived in Nagpur Maharastra from 1953 to 1970.In our family we use garlic in food.
I take one raw garlic every morning and brush again to reduce Cholestrol.
Long back,I had to visit a purohitar's house in Chennai for performing Amavasya Tharpan.I had come to Chennai for training in Kothari Institute of Finance,Nungampakkam.
The sastrigal's wife invited me to take Lunch.While in our house,we do not use "Mullangi" on Amavasya and other festival occasions,the Sambar was prepared with Mullangi
and Sastrigal's wife gave an explanation that Mullangi was very cheap vegetable that day in the market.
We being in North take "Surakkai' regularly,while Brahmins in South avoid this vegetable.
B.Krishnamurthy

Iyers will generally use Garlic. It has got medicinal value and good for Cholesterol.
I am an Iyer, all our iyer friends do not use Garlic. The people who make exception to eat Garlic, are like Bengali Brahmins who make an exception to eat Fish. I forbid you to speak for all iyers from now onwards. You are no representative of Iyers. Forget the medicinal value, so does eggs have medicinal value.

Garlic is given by Mother Earth just like other healthy food items.Whether one likes a particular food item is one's choice.There is no compulsion.
The value of 'Garlic' will not increase or decrease just because some relish it or some avoids it.
The 'Value' of a value is the one which is valuable to you.
B.Krishnamurthy

Garlic is given by Mother Earth

Many native and exotic plants are poisonous to humans when ingested or if there is skin contact with plant chemicals.

Everything is Brahman, but it also gave us an intellect.
I agree that it is ones food choice. I was just making a point for the TB group. I have no personal objection to any food habit you have. My apologies.

Dear Mr.Prasadji,
If you desire to enjoy'Jeera Rasam without Garlic', I suggest the following good Food Blogs for reference.
1. Padhu's Kitchen
2. Subu's kitchen
3. Cooking and me
4. Jeyashri's kitchen
5. My taste.in (Nithya's kitchen)
I refer to the above Food Blogs (and some other websites)for reference before I commense my cooking.
Till 2011 I knew nothing about cooking.Just to utilise my spare time I thought of learning cooking.Now I am confident at the age 81+.
B.Krishnamurthy

Last edited:
Dear Mr.Prasadji,
If you desire to enjoy'Jeera Rasam without Garlic', I suggest the following good Food Blogs for reference.
1. Padhu's Kitchen
2. Subu's kitchen
3. Cooking and me
4. Jeyashri's kitchen
5. My taste.in (Nithya's kitchen)
I refer to the above Food Blogs (and some other websites)for reference before I commense my cooking.
Till 2011 I knew nothing about cooking.Just to utilise my spare time I thought of learning cooking.Now I am confident at the age 81+.
B.Krishnamurthy

Thanks they are all bookmarked in my search. except the 3rd one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back