• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'Theettu' following demise of close relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
I wonder what is the philosophical reason behind saying that there is a theettu for 10 days following demise of close relatives during which period no puja or lighting of puja lamp or going to temples is allowed. Also, for 1 yr close relatives are not supposed to celebrate any function or festival either. Why is this so?

I wonder what is the philosophical reason behind saying that there is a theettu for 10 days following demise of close relatives during which period no puja or lighting of puja lamp or going to temples is allowed. Also, for 1 yr close relatives are not supposed to celebrate any function or festival either. Why is this so?
In the past centuries when knowledge about the way diseases spread and about the carriers of germs or controlling them were all limited as it was just evolving our ancestors put to good use whatever knowledge they possessed. They knew hairs attracted and retained germs. This is the basis of theettu principle. I do expect the in house cynical atheist brains here to discuss this threadbare or hairbare and pass judgements on our uncivilized ancestors. LOL.

How disappointing Vaagmi ji! When my MIL passed away, there was proper aradhana performed in front of her photo - I am not sure what was recited, but it seemed some Tamil veda like divya prabandha, Thiruvaimozhi, etc. At that time, the vaadhiyar told us that the soul is on journey for 10 days and by 13th day or something it reaches its destined spot. And something along these lines for the duration of 1 yr following demise. I was eager to learn such an explanation from you!:frusty:

How disappointing Vaagmi ji! When my MIL passed away, there was proper aradhana performed in front of her photo - I am not sure what was recited, but it seemed some Tamil veda like divya prabandha, Thiruvaimozhi, etc. At that time, the vaadhiyar told us that the soul is on journey for 10 days and by 13th day or something it reaches its destined spot. And something along these lines for the duration of 1 yr following demise. I was eager to learn such an explanation from you!:frusty:

JRji,

Your vadhyar certainly did not tell you that the theettu has anything to do with the pasuram recitation that too philosophically. LOL. theettu has no philosophy. It is just a discipline.

About the subhasweekaram day and the chanting of divyaprabhandam (particularly the Iyarpaa part of it) on that day along with the explanation given by your vadhyar is perfetly okay. it is a belief of hindu brahmins (not just vaishnavites) that the atma after leaving the body traverses very large distances (by human standards and scale) by catching a ray of sunlight until it reaches the banks of the heavenly riven by name vraja. And after that the treatment that the Atma receives has been explained in some details by acharyas. You can read vaishnava literature in which treatment of this subject has been done. After reading that you may be in a better position to take a view on death, what happens after death, the significance of the chanting of divyaprabhantham done by vaishnavites etc.,

I would not like to elaborate as it is all about a belief system. We have enough Shot Gun Shatrughans around to shoot from the hip. It will be become attrition of the worst kind here.LOL.

Last edited:
Oh yes, anytime a conversation on bhakti/theettu, etc turns interesting, there are some unwelcome participations to hinder the direction of the exchanges.. it is unfortunate. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back