• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mallige idli

Status
Not open for further replies.
MALLIGE IDLI:

Mallige is a kannada word. It means the jasmine flower. It is called as mallige idli because of the extra softness of the idli. Mallige idli is very famous in Mysore. Cooked rice and beaten rice(poha) is added while making the idli batter which gives that softness to idli.

Ingredients

• Idli rice - 2 cups
• Urad dal - 1 cup
• Mehti seeds – ¼ tsp
• Cooked rice - 1/2 cup
• Beaten or flattened rice (poha) - 1/2 cup
• Salt to taste

Method

• Soak idli rice and flattened rice with sufficient water for about 4 hours.
• Soak urad dal and methi seeds in a separate vessel for 4 hours.
• First grind urad dal, mehti seeds with little cold water to a smooth fluffy paste and keep it aside.
• Then grind idli rice along with cooked rice and flattened rice and grind to a soft paste.
• In a vessel, combine together urad dal paste and idli rice mixture Add salt to taste and mix well. Keep aside idli batter for atleast 10 ours for fermentation.
• Grease the idli mould with some oil and pour batter and steam cook for 5 minutes. Let the idlis cool for few minutes before taking them out.

Source: Sumithra Prakash

Mallige Idli is Ready

We find many recipes for mallige idlis on internet.

Here is one with a different proportion with no fenugreek (methi) and cooked rice as optional!

Source:
THE CHEF and HER KITCHEN: Mallige Idli

''Mallige Idli Recipe: Ingredients:

4 cups Idli rice(Salem rice)

1 cup round white Urad dal

1 cup(levelled) Poha(Atukulu)

2 tbsp Curd

1 handful of cooked Rice (optional)

pinch of Soda bicarb (optional)

Salt,to taste

Method:

Soak rice for 5-6 hrs and urad dal and poha separately for 2 hrs.

Grind urad dal to a smooth paste and remove the batter, now grind rice and poha together to a very smooth batter by adding

dahi,cooked rice and required water.

Mix both the batters with your hand and add enough salt and mix everything properly and let it ferment overnight or for 8-9 hrs.

Scoop out required portion of batter and add cooking soda (mixed with 1 spoon of water) and mix thoroughly.

Grease the idli plates with oil and pour a ladle of idli batter until each impression is filled 3/4th.

Steam it in idli steamer or pressure cooker(with out whistle) for 10-12 mins. Let it rest for another 5 mins.

With a idli spoon cleanly remove the idlis.Dip the idli spoon in water in between which helps to remove the idlis easily from the plate.

Keep them in hot box or serve directly on to a plate.Always serve idlis hot.

Notes:

1. Use an air-tight container for storing the batter.I usually remove the batter into my tupperware container and cover it with a normal

loose steel plate while it is fermenting and once it is fermented I cover it with a lid and refrigerate the batter,this way the batter will be

fresh and does not turn sour.

2. The idli batter turns sour quickly if you add salt while grinding the batter and that is the reason few add salt while making idlis.It is

your wish to follow which way you want.

3. I prefer to use whole urad dal,if you do not get it use regular ural dal(broken).But always use good quality fresh urad dal for preparing idlis.

4. If you are using mixer you can use 3 cups of idli rice for 1 cup of urad dal for making idlis.Use cold water while grinding the batter

in mixer as the batter tends to get heated while grinding in mixer.

5. Once the batter is fermented do no stir it much which makes the batter looses its air bubbles and in return the idlis will not be softer.

6. After 2-3 days the idlis might not turn soft with the same batter,you can add a fat pinch of cooking soda mixed with 2 tbsp water into

the batter and mix it well and make idlis.Your idlis would be definitely soft.''

P.S: The notes given above shows how much we need to learn to make soft idlis!
icon3.png

There is no issue here; if you find your recipe is good , go ahead and do it.

I have given a recipe, who ever wishes , they can try that.

There is no issue here; if you find your recipe is good , go ahead and do it.

I have given a recipe, who ever wishes , they can try that.
:lol: You chuttufied from Smt. Sumithra Prakash.

And I chuttufied from some other source, which I have given already!

As long as we get Jasmine idlis (not in smell ) it is :cool:

Reducing the quantity of measurement of Cooke Rice, Urad Dal, and Mehti seeds, and Beaten or flattened rice (poha) will only result in hardened Idly.

Today I tried the recipe given in Post No.1 above. I prepared the batter in wet grinder and fermented the batter overnight.The batter had fomented as usual.When I prepared the Idli in the normal procedure, I got only flattened Idli which was however very soft.I consulted my daughter in India over phone.
She informed me that there is more Urad Dal in the recipe and less rice.
The proportion of rice has to be increased to get idli in usual shape.
B.Krishnamurthy

Mallege Idli

I listened to the video in 'You Tube' as suggested in Post No.3 above.The proportion of rice to Urad dal is similar to the recipe given in post no. 1 above.
I read all the comments given in the Video.Someone has already commented that the quantities suggested in the video is not correct.
I will try the recipe given in another post by Mrs.Raji Ram and give my comments about the results I got.
B.Krishnamurthy

You are right, B K Sir.

If the quality of urad dhal is good, we need only 4:1 proportion for rice:dhal.

The recipe in post #6 is very good - tested and OKed!

Please read the ''notes'' in that post carefully. The most important one is,

''5. Once the batter is fermented do no stir it much which makes the batter looses its air bubbles and in return the idlis will not be softer.''

P.S: Hope P J Sir doesn't take this as an offense! :D

Madam Smt.Raji Ram,
I am yet to try the recipe given in your Post No.3 & 6.I will be in a position to make my comment only after I try.
The problem with IDLY is ,it is consumed by everyone willingly if the same is in shape and also soft.
If otherwise, I have to consume the hard idllies already prepared or convert them into Upma.Batter can be used for preparation of Dosa.
In India the proportion is 4:1 for rice and Urad Dal.In USA I found that 3:1 is ideal for preparation of soft Idly in proper shape.
Here we get Idli rice (different brands) and good quality Urad Dal.
B.Krishnamurthy

Dear B K Sir,

I tried the recipe in post #6 and got nice soft idlis. Though we get good quality idli rice and urad dhal, care should be taken while

soaking, grinding and mixing! I wash rice and a teaspoon of vandhayam and soak
separately at 1 p.m - before lunch; wash and

soak urad dhal and aval at 5 p.m. at tea time! At 7 p.m, I grind urad dhal and vendhayam, sprinkling water frequently till we get

soft and fluffy batter. This takes about 20 mts. Then grind rice, aval and cooked rice (after running it in mixie for half a minute)

together with enough water. Takes about 15 mts. Then add the ground urad dhal batter and salt and run the grinder for one minute.

Remove the batter and keep batter to ferment overnight. I use 6 tumblers of rice and needed other ingredients so that it is just

a weekly once process! :)

P.S: One relative mAmi complained that she always gets hard idlis irrespective of the quality of batter. I found the mistake when

I saw her mixing the batter. She whipped it so hard like beating egg and all the air bubbles were gone! I requested her to be gentle! :D

COOKED RICE IS ADDED TO MAKE IDLI MORE SOFT AND NATURALLY CONSUMPTION WILL BE MORE. MY DAUGHTER FOLLOWS THIS AND WE EAT AND EAT MORE IDLIS, ALSO IDLI PREPARED IN STEAM WILL NOT HARM US.
ENJOY IDLI WITH SAMBAR ONE DAY AND WITH GUN POWDER(MOLAGA PODI) THE NEXT DAY. gOD BLESS YOU ALL
[email protected]

COOKED RICE IS ADDED TO MAKE IDLI MORE SOFT AND NATURALLY CONSUMPTION WILL BE MORE. MY DAUGHTER FOLLOWS THIS AND WE EAT AND EAT MORE IDLIS, ALSO IDLI PREPARED IN STEAM WILL NOT HARM US. ...........
:nono: Sir! You must have heard the adage in Tamil: 'aLavukku minjinAl amirthamum nanju!'

Moderate eating is always the best, after reaching 40.

When my best forum friend visited my sweet home, I had not prepared our lunch. He said he would share whatever we eat!

I prepared dhOsAs, sAmbAr and plain rice quickly. He ate just one dhOsA with sAmbar and one table spoon of rice with curd.

He told me that leaving half the stomach empty is good for all of us! :)

Idlis- reply to rajiram

so what? Did not u see some present day actresses look like kushbu idly. Still kushbu idly is famous in roadside kaiyaendi bhavans.

i am nearing 80 and so careful- i take maximum 4 idlis for breakfast and 3 for dinner- my favourite food- areidly, sevai, idyappam, kolukattai- all steam preparations. Dosai means 2 only
when you get soft hot idlis it may...
[email protected]

i am nearing 80 and so careful- i take maximum 4 idlis for breakfast and 3 for dinner- my favourite food- areidly, sevai, idyappam, kolukattai- all steam preparations. Dosai means 2 only
when you get soft hot idlis it may...
[email protected]

Having referred my quote in your above reply to somebody else thread, I thought you were going to shed some more interesting informations about the idly I mentioned. Anyhow it is ok See there is someone to care and advise you to take care of your health. I also like only idlys though Dosai is the prefered regular in my house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back