• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Stopped Smoking after 50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a senior citizen. 69 years young. Started Smoking when I was 17.

I think I finally kicked my addiction to Smoking on 3rd March, 2013. Of course not the first attempt. As Mark Twain said I have done it so often.

But this time I think it is final.

No patches, No nicotine gum and no other prop.

Wish me Luck.

Still going strong. The urge to smoke still comes in once in a while. Especially after a cup of Coffee or a drink because these two were associated with Smoking right from day one.

I think this time the Quit will not fail.

Not because my resolve is stronger, but because the temptations are totally absent.

It is no longer socially acceptable to smoke. Not in parties not in clubs. In fact you the habit is frowned upon.

So Smoking which gave me a status in school and later in life is making me a pariah now.

No more ashtrays in meetings and conferences.

Unlike earlier times no one is going to offer me a cigarette now. In fact when I meet old friends after a long time, the first question is "Are you still Smoking?"

Smoking is no longer in. It is out of date. Time to chuck it.

Joining the following forum helped me a lot since I could share my experiences and learn from others about their problems.

Quit Smoking Message Board

Sir

It is never too late to quit habits which affects Health; I also started smoking when i was as kid using Coconut fiber tightly covered by a piece of parer!!!

Many of us learn all good and bad things in our adolescent age and bad things grow into monster in our later years; that way i continued smoking till my first son was born.

In those days, every year before the Budget day when Tax rates are announcement on various items , Cigarettes usually abscond from petty shops; on one such occasion i got frustrated searching for a shop selling cigarettes, and decided to give it up once and for all.

Initially it was very tough, temptation to smoke often came, especially during rainy days, or during morning daily ritual, but somehow i managed to avoid smoking.

My wife initially did not believe me , but later on she started encouraging me and gave every support in my resove.

I used to get dreams as if i was smoking, and get up from my sleep.

In public places, i used to get smell of the Cigarette smoke, but used to move away from those places.

Once i crossed one year without smoking, i started hating smoking!!

I used to advice other smokers not to smoke also.

Now i am 76, left smoking about 42 years ago.

Keep faith in your resolve to quit smoking, however strongly you are tempted to smoke, please do not ever take to smoking

one of my elder brother died due to Lung Cancer, because he was a regular smoker!!

Had he not became a slave to that smoking habit, he would be alive now.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE, Please Have complete health check up, once in every 6 months.

I wish you to have a Strong WILL to desist from Smoking

God bless you and your Family

Happy Pongal

Last edited:
Great Nacchi Sir! It is never too late to quit smoking..Your health will improve definitely even at this stage! Welcome to the non smokers world!

Nacchinarkiniyan sir

I believe you were to move into a senior citizen resort and offered to share your experience. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

As per a recent study those who quit smoking will have additional 2-4 years added to their lives!

Read this excellent piece of news shared by Dr Mehmet Oz-Cardiology

Your health begins to improve rapidly when you quit smoking, so it's never too late to quit. For instance, studies show that people who stop using tobacco at age 65 tack on two to four years to their life expectancy.

The health benefits of quitting smoking begin almost immediately. Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette, your blood pressure and heart rate drop. Within half a day, your blood levels of tobacco toxins are reduced too. In the months to come, your lung function will improve, so you'll have more energy to enjoy life. And at the one-year anniversary, your risk for heart attacks will be slashed in half.

The benefits of quitting continue to accrue over time, as your risk for deadly cancers and other diseases drops with each passing year. Quitting smoking today is an investment in your future, no matter what your age.

Sir

It is never too late to quit habits which affects Health; I also started smoking when i was as kid using Coconut fiber tightly covered by a piece of parer!!!

Many of us learn all good and bad things in our adolescent age and bad things grow into monster in our later years; that way i continued smoking till my first son was born.

In those days, every year before the Budget day when Tax rates are announcement on various items , Cigarettes usually abscond from petty shops; on one such occasion i got frustrated searching for a shop selling cigarettes, and decided to give it up once and for all.

Initially it was very tough, temptation to smoke often came, especially during rainy days, or during morning daily ritual, but somehow i managed to avoid smoking.

My wife initially did not believe me , but later on she started encouraging me and gave every support in my resove.

I used to get dreams as if i was smoking, and get up from my sleep.

In public places, i used to get smell of the Cigarette smoke, but used to move away from those places.

Once i crossed one year without smoking, i started hating smoking!!

I used to advice other smokers not to smoke also.

Now i am 76, left smoking about 42 years ago.

Keep faith in your resolve to quit smoking, however strongly you are tempted to smoke, please do not ever take to smoking

one of my elder brother died due to Lung Cancer, because he was a regular smoker!!

Had he not became a slave to that smoking habit, he would be alive now.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE, Please Have complete health check up, once in every 6 months.

I wish you to have a Strong WILL to desist from Smoking

God bless you and your Family

Happy Pongal

hi p j sir,

i was as kid using Coconut fiber tightly covered by a piece of parer!!!

i tried in my childhood in my village....even i got choked many times as child smoker...just with some same age group kids.....

it was thrilling experience.....when i was in army....we get FREE 4 PACKS WITH MATCHES FOR FREE.FOR MONTH.... now not any more...

now army gives cigerette/liquor allowance...NO FREE STUFF ANYMORE..i tried many times in army...now not anymore..

Last edited:
Dear Sir!
namaste!! :pray2:
:welcome: back to the forum.
Someone very close to me started smoking while he was still in school.
Smoking was unknown to and unheard of in his orthodox family.
Slowly he becama a chain smoker.
Nothing will enter his system except Nicotine.
No good words, no advices, no warnings.... nothing.
One fine day he started vomitting blood.
The only sentence his doctor spoke to him was this.
"You are leaping towards you death UNLESS
you give up smoking once for all!"
Somehow that dire warning had its desired effect.
He quit smoking 22 years ago and is still off it.
It only needs courage to resist the temptation.
I sincerely wish you good luck in kicking off that habit
and I also wish you a long, healthy and happy life!
Devi will bless you with the determination and vairaagyam you need!

Last edited:
I am a senior citizen. 69 years young. Started Smoking when I was 17.

I think I finally kicked my addiction to Smoking on 3rd March, 2013. Of course not the first attempt. As Mark Twain said I have done it so often.

But this time I think it is final.

No patches, No nicotine gum and no other prop.

Wish me Luck.

Still going strong. The urge to smoke still comes in once in a while. Especially after a cup of Coffee or a drink because these two were associated with Smoking right from day one.

I think this time the Quit will not fail.

Not because my resolve is stronger, but because the temptations are totally absent.

It is no longer socially acceptable to smoke. Not in parties not in clubs. In fact you the habit is frowned upon.

So Smoking which gave me a status in school and later in life is making me a pariah now.

No more ashtrays in meetings and conferences.

Unlike earlier times no one is going to offer me a cigarette now. In fact when I meet old friends after a long time, the first question is "Are you still Smoking?"

Smoking is no longer in. It is out of date. Time to chuck it.

Joining the following forum helped me a lot since I could share my experiences and learn from others about their problems.

Quit Smoking Message Board

Dear Sir,

Great news!

Make sure you never get tempted again.

Cos temptation is always there.

After stopping smoking you will find your appetite increasing..so make sure you drink more water and do regular exercise to prevent weight gain.

by the way , there are more old smokers than old doctors.renukaji pl note

simply a statistic.

good N sir have quit smoking

wives find non smokers more likeable.lol

Congrats Nachi Sir! Nice way to save more money! :popcorn:

Non-smokers nearby will be happy to escape from passive smoking! :D

by the way , there are more old smokers than old doctors.renukaji pl note

simply a statistic.

good N sir have quit smoking

wives find non smokers more likeable.lol

hi sir

now a days...now a days...many gals/wives like smokers/casual drinkers.....some like more party oriented families...

I also wish to share my smoking experience. when I was 21 years I started smoking after copying my friends. at that time my boss was a German settled in UK and working in India. He studied and became an authority on Indian asthrology, mythology etc. One day he got me smoking. He took me to his house and explained about bad effects of smoking. He advised me to start smoking one pocket daily for a week(I was smoking 2/3 pockets daily), in second week, one pocket every alternative days. and like this, it took six months for me to completly stop smoking. Trust me, after that till date (I am now 79 years) I didnt smoke and I cant stand near to a person who smokes. laugh, laugh - srinivasan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back