• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Scriptural Sanctions for women's ordeal during her periods ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Are there scriptural sanctions for making women undergo an ordeal when they have their periods in some Hindu Brahmin (mostly Tamil Brahmin) households?

I'm not looking for Pseudo scientific reasons like women has to take rest during that period and its all science in Hinduism nor am I looking for some Hindu or Brahmin Bashing. I just want to know how this practice came into being and are there any scriptures (sastras) which talk about this.

Thank you !

Now this is a subject all males know MUCH better than any female.

So lets wait for the males to answer.

Scriptural Sanctions for women's ordeal during her periods - references

Scriptural Sanctions for women's ordeal during her periods - references

1) Viswaroopa the son of Thwashta was recruited as the ‘guru’(priest) fore the gods in place of Bruhaspathi, when Bruhaspathi was hidden himself because of the insult made by the Indra. Viswaroopa was killed by Indra in a cheating war, then the Indra was attacked by the Brahma-hathya Dosha’.

So now indra was suffering from the ‘brahma-hathya Dosha’. After some time he asks Bruhaspathi for solution, then Bruhaspathi said ‘if there is any body to share that, then you’ll be relieved and you should give some boons to the person’

The following shared the Brahma-hathya Dosha of indra in the following manner.
1. Earth (prithvy)
2. Trees (vriksha)
3. Sea (samudra)
4. Ladies (sthree)

Earth shared the sin and releases the sin in the form of “fuller’s earth (choudu mritthika)” and got the boon that the earth will be filled or become closed even after the excavations.

Trees shared the sin and releases the sin in the form of ‘gum’ and got the boon that they can grow even they cut.

Sea shared the sin and released the sin in the form of ‘foam/froth’ and got the boon the at the sea cannot cross the sea shore (generally, not in some cases).

Ladies shared the sin and releases the sin in the form of ‘menstruation’ every month and got the boon that they can give birth to children from menstruation.

2)Scriptual References:

Srimad Bhagavatam 6.9.4:

‘Once upon a time, however, the King of heaven, Indra, understood that Visvarupa was secretly cheating the demigods by offering oblations on behalf of the demons. He became extremely afraid of being defeated by the demons, and in great anger at Visvarupa he cut Visvarupa's three heads from his shoulders.’

Srimad Bhagavatam, 6.9.6:

“brahma-hatyam anjalina
jagraha yad apisvarah
samvatsarante tad agham
bhutanam sa visuddhaye
bhumy-ambu-druma-yoshidbhyas
caturdha vyabhajad dharih”

Word by word Meaning:

brahma-hatyam -- the sinful reaction for killing a brahmana; anjalina -- with folded hands; jagraha -- assumed the responsibility for; yat api -- although; isvarah -- very powerful; samvatsara-ante -- after one year; tat agham -- that sinful reaction; bhutanam -- of the material elements; sah -- he; visuddhaye -- for purification; bhumi -- unto the earth; ambu -- water; druma -- trees; yoshidbhyah -- and unto women; caturdha -- in four divisions; vyabhajat -- divided; harih -- King Indra.

Meaning:

‘Although Indra was so powerful that he could neutralize the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana, he repentantly accepted the burden of these reactions with folded hands. He suffered for one year, and then to purify himself he distributed the reactions for this sinful killing among the earth, water, trees and women.’

SB 6.9.7: In return for King Indra's benediction that ditches in the earth would be filled automatically, the land accepted one fourth of the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana. Because of those sinful reactions, we find many deserts on the surface of the earth.

SB 6.9.8: In return for Indra's benediction that their branches and twigs would grow back when trimmed, the trees accepted one fourth of the reactions for killing a brahmana. These reactions are visible in the flowing of sap from trees. [Therefore one is forbidden to drink this sap.]

SB 6.9.9: In return for Lord Indra's benediction that they would be able to enjoy lusty desires continuously, even during pregnancy for as long as sex is not injurious to the embryo, women accepted one fourth of the sinful reactions. As a result of those reactions, women manifest the signs of menstruation every month.

Viswakarma Community Portal - "POURSHEYA & AARSHEYA" Brahmins

Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 6 Chapter 9 Verse 4

Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 6 Chapter 9 Verse 6

PrabhupadaBooks.com -- Srila Prabhupada's Original pre-1978 Books Online

Please also go through this link

Scientific Basis Of Hindu Beliefs - Bhojraj Dwivedi - Google Books

Thanks to Vidya C Raja gopalan, in Yahoo answers i could trace out these links

@P.J
Thank you for the information you shared. Now I know there is a scriptural explanation on why a women menstruate. However I'm not quite convinced of the scriptural references of how a woman must conduct herself when she is having her periods.

The eBook only cites some random and vague research to justify the treatment that a woman undergoes during her periods. Even if Thats the case why is that only Brahmin women subjected to this.

Thank you,
Anand

Last edited:
PK Sir,
Thank you for the information you shared. Now I know there is a scriptural explanation on why a women menstruate. However I'm not quite convinced of the scriptural references of how a woman must conduct herself when she is having her periods.

The eBook only cites some random and vague research to justify the treatment that a woman undergoes during her periods. Even if Thats the case why is that only Brahmin women subjected to this.

Thank you,
Anand

I do not know whom you refer as PK Sir?

Kindly check up and if possible edit your message please.

Now this is a subject all males know MUCH better than any female.

So lets wait for the males to answer.
No comment. I have made my point elsewhere on this topic.
If you know anything about Hindu Scriptures, you can find support for any position on social customs.
Miamzattuji,
Are you going to stop having "periods" if I point out a Sanskrit writing from a so called scriptures? What is the reason of you asking this question.It is in the interest of men to keep women under control. This is a worldwide phenomenon. Women have been trying to liberate themselves (except TBs). So your question is appropriate in this testosterone laden men's forum. Good luck LOL

No comment. I have made my point elsewhere on this topic.
If you know anything about Hindu Scriptures, you can find support for any position on social customs.
Miamzattuji,
Are you going to stop having "periods" if I point out a Sanskrit writing from a so called scriptures? What is the reason of you asking this question.It is in the interest of men to keep women under control. This is a worldwide phenomenon. Women have been trying to liberate themselves (except TBs). So your question is appropriate in this testosterone laden men's forum. Good luck LOL

kiamzattu's question is just for academic interest.

Manusmiriti, 3.45:

….. Let (the husband) approach his wife for conjugal union (on any day) excepting the Parvans.

Manusmiriti , Chapter 5:

66. (A woman) is purified on a miscarriage in as many (days and) nights as months (elapsed after conception), and a menstruating female becomes pure by bathing after the menstrual secretion has ceased (to flow).

108. By earth and water is purified what ought to be made pure, a river by its current, a woman whose thoughts have been impure by the menstrual secretion, a Brahmana by abandoning the world (samnyasa).

3) From Book, Scientific Base of Hindu Belief, Dr. Bhojraj Dwivedi, Diamond Pocket Books, New Delhi, Pages 59-60, total Pages 182, Year of Publication 2006.

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=v4DKw...

Rules and Regulations for Rajaswala woman in Religious Scriptures:

a) should practice celebacy during the period.
b) should not sleep in day time
c) should not pencil or apply anjana paste her eyes
d) should not weep or cry
e) should not bath
f) should not take oil or sandal massage or use any scented thing
g) should not run
h) should not laugh or talk too much
i) should not make or hear very loud words
j) should not comb or dress her hair
k) should not stand amidst fast blowing wind
l) should not work hard
m) should not cut her nails and so on .....

Scientific Basis Of Hindu Beliefs - Bhojraj Dwivedi - Google Books

@ P.J
Thank you for providing the references. I guess it makes little sense now because Smarthas are supposed to follow Smritis and since Manu Smriti does mention about it, the practice might have evolved and confined only with the Smarthas.

Just to make things clear again and also pointed out by P.J, my interest is purely academical.

Thank you everyone !

I think this topic is worth doing a PH.D. on since some threads have already done the ground work. For purely academic reasons of course ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back