• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Stand-up Comedy on Immigration Issues by Indian American Hari Kondabolu

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
On his album, "2042 and the White Minority":

KONDABOLU: Here's the bigger point, here's the bigger point, right: 49 percent white doesn't make you the minority. That's not how math works, right? Forty-nine percent white is only the minority if you think the other 51 percent is exactly the same, right. It only works if you think, well, it's 49 percent white people and 51 percent you people. That's the only way that works.
Because that 51 percent is not a united front, OK, and it's easy to find out. Just ask a black guy and a Korean guy what happens when the black guy walks into the Korean guy's store, all right. I bet you the interaction might be pleasant. I bet you it's not going to be like hey, teammate, how's it going, teammate. Pretty excited, you? 2042, am I right? It's not...
That's not what's happening. There's some historic tension there. It's not a united front. And some of you might be thinking, well, Hari, you're saying that 51 percent is not exactly the same, but you're assuming that all white people are the same. Yes.
No, no, of course not. I'm joking, right, because white isn't a thing. Race isn't a think, right. It's a social construct; it's a way to divide us. It's not real, and we know this. There used to be signs in this country that said no blacks, no Irish, no dogs, right. The Irish weren't white; the Jews weren't white; the Italians weren't white, right. Race is a way to divide us. It's not real, and the people of color in this room, you know this.
When you ask your white friends what their cultural heritage is, they don't just say white. They give you a math equation.
Well, I'm a third German and a fourth Irish and one-sixteenth Welsh and one-fortieth Native American for college applications.
You know how this works.

On his album, "Waiting for 2042":

KONDABOLU: When I was living in London, I was dating this Englishwoman, and the first three months I was there, I was, like, really excited. We were - she was over at my place like three nights a week, immediate trust. And then four months in, she was over at my place four nights a week, and I noticed she was starting to tell me what to do, like when to wake up and when to sleep and what to eat, and I'm like this is weird.
But, like, early on in the relationship, you have to set boundaries. So maybe this was part of that boundary-setting process. I'm like OK, let's go with this. Five months in, she's over at my place five nights a week, and my brother had come to visit. I don't know what she said to my brother, but by the end of his week there, like he was angry at me. She had, like, turned my brother against me. It was so strange.
And then six months in, I hated how I was being treated. I decided to assert myself. I said I don't like how I'm being treated, I'm a human being, I deserve more, and that's when the beatings started, and...
I don't know why she felt comfortable hitting me, but she did, and it was terrible. I felt defenseless. I felt like nobody could help, nobody was listening. And after seven months, she's over at my place seven nights a week. She has her own place. She has her own place that she's paying rent for, but she's over at my place every night of the week, eating my food, telling me what to do, hitting me, and that's when I knew this wasn't love. This Englishwoman was trying to colonize me.
And I of course did what I was trained to do in such situations: nothing.
I simply didn't cooperate. I used nonviolent resistance. And after a month, she finally left, and she took most of my best stuff with her: food; art; self-esteem, all gone. And she left a few things. She left some clothes and some books and of course an extensive railway system.
So for the non-South-Asians in the audience who perhaps didn't understand why there was applause, the British built a really extensive railway system throughout India before they left, and it wasn't so much for transportation for the Indian people, it was because it's really hard, of course, to plunder on foot. And...

All about Hari Kondabolu and the above excerpts at: For Comic Hari Kondabolu, Explaining The Joke IS The Joke | WBUR & NPR

JR -

Sorry do nottake this personally !!.

Do we TBs inthis forum really need to read this crap ?

what a sillyIndian American did in the USA & what happened when he dated some sillywhite girl, and why some did not clap in the audience & railway system inIndia... Astonishing Crap !!

I mean reallytell me, how do the PIOs that too 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] generation knowso much about India without having lived here at all !!

there is similar crap in every country

have you not seen kapil sharma comedy shows.

even in india some men get temporarily tied to ladies who ill treat them and leave them .

I had a colleague in a relationship with a wealthy high class girl friend who got him transferred to

another town where she was before leaving him high and dry saying he could keep the cooking

gas connection which was a scarce commodity in those days. true life story

Dear JK ji,

1. This stand-up comedy is at the core about 'Immigration and racial issues'. So it pertains to the PIO's of Indian origin too.

2. In comedy clip 1, Kondabolu talks about the racial mix in the West any PIO could hopefully face - of being in the 51% "majority" but walking into the store owned by a Korean or an African American or Chinese and never feel free there!

3. In comedy clip 2, Kondabolu sarcastically emphasizes the colonial mentality of the English. The English girlfriend is nothing else but representation of how White colonists behaved initially until they took the stronghold and power over India. Also Kondabolu finishes saying how the English took all including the self-esteem just leaving behind a well-developed system of railroads!

All in all, his comedy tells us of some of the plight different races and Indians could face in the West and thus I do not see any "crap" out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back