• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Coffee grinder for grinding spices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually we use coffee grinder only to grind roasted coffee beans.

Is it not easier to use mixie for grinding other spices, Jayashree?

Dear Raji Mam,

Ofcourse one can use the mixie. But I am not able to get a fine powder. Sometimes I need to grind my own Sambar powder, Rasam powder too... (because I only use 777 brand Sambar and Rasam powder and the local store does not always carry it). So there are circumstances when I need a fine powder. Long time ago my friend used a coffee grinder for grinding spices and she had then told me about it. But I never tried. Since my Preethi mixie went down recently, I am eager to try out Coffee grinder for this purpose... But I do not intend to use the same coffee grinder for grinding coffee beans.

Hello,

Of course, Mixie can be used...try & get hold of Sujata Mixie. It's really good..both for wet & dry grinding etc.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
la femme

when ground in small quantities, one cannot hope to get very fine powder.

there has to be a sizable amount for fine grinding to be possible.

in india many go to shops with machines for fine grinding for masalas.

but I suppose abroad such facilities do not exist.

take it from india to last for couple of months at least

......... Since my Preethi mixie went down recently, I am eager to try out Coffee grinder for this purpose... But I do not intend to use the same coffee grinder for grinding coffee beans.
Dear Jayashree,

In that case, I think you have to try it yourself.

Anyway, let us wait for some comments from NRIs in our forum. :)

Every mixie comes with 4 sets of blades. They are meant for verious purposes like, wet grinding, dry grinding, whipping etc., So trying them all and using the incher feature in the mixie may help. My two cents. LOL

Every mixie comes with 4 sets of blades. They are meant for verious purposes like, wet grinding, dry grinding, whipping etc., So trying them all and using the incher feature in the mixie may help. My two cents. LOL
Thanks for the tutorial, Vaagmi Sir! :)

But all of us know these. J R wants to know whether she can use her coffee grinder for dry grinding dhals.

She won't use it for grinding coffee beans again!

BTW, I think coffee grinder will be tough enough to make dhal powders too. :thumb:

Thanks for the tutorial, Vaagmi Sir! :)

But all of us know these. J R wants to know whether she can use her coffee grinder for dry grinding dhals.

She won't use it for grinding coffee beans again!

BTW, I think coffee grinder will be tough enough to make dhal powders too. :thumb:

Wow! That's a good idea! I can use it for making the beloved 'paruppu podi'. :)

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I'm sure there is nothing that can outbeat our Indian mixie. I am just trying to find an alternative work-around to it for making spice powders (that also costs less) while I am researching on where to buy the next Indian mixie (mine broke down recently and all this time I got mine when on trips to India only).

Coffee grinder is very small and costs very little, but grinds effectively, more than other blenders available in the market, as far as my research goes...

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I'm sure there is nothing that can outbeat our Indian mixie. I am just trying to find an alternative work-around to it for making spice powders (that also costs less) while I am researching on where to buy the next Indian mixie (mine broke down recently and all this time I got mine when on trips to India only).

Coffee grinder is very small and costs very little, but grinds effectively, more than other blenders available in the market, as far as my research goes...

If you are thinking about the manually operated all weather cranking type of old coffee grinder (without electrical motor) which does a nice job of grinding coffee seeds then you will certainly cry out Eureka after using it once. It is versatile. You can even finely adjust the consistency of the granules to the level of microns to your taste by just adjusting the screw in it. But I am not sure about its effectiveness for grinding spices.

when we were young and lived in the village, we used to do the coffee grinding as an elaborate ritual. The required quantity of seeds will be roasted in a low fire (the fire low or intense depending on how far you pull out or push in the burning firewood into the chulha/aduppu). once the roasting is over the run starts against time. It is quickly poured in handfulls into the grinder which has its own chuck with which it is attached to the table. Then the furious cranking will start. And the powder as it gets filled up in the receptacle dish is pulled out quickly and put into a bottle which is always kept tightly closed. For the fraction of a second it is opened and powder poured inside. We used to believe that the aroma will escape for ever if it is not captured inside the bottle!!

Now we have left an entire lifestyle behind in that haunted agraharam. In Chennai it is very fast and professional. Depending on my specific taste I tell my shopwallah to mix the peaberryA and plantation A variety of coffee seeds in a particular ratio (my preferred ratio is 40:60) and ask him to grind it for coffee maker. Peaberry for aroma and plantation for the bitterness and flavour. He does a nice job and give me that in an airtight packet. Only thing I miss is that the seeds are not roasted as much as I would like them to be. Nowadays the shopwallah knows my taste so well he just does not wait for me to tell anything.

And I enjoy my coffee morning and evening. Just twice a day.

When I read RRjis post about my tutorial, I wanted to live up to that reputation and made this post just a tutorial.

Good luck in your search for the right cranking type of grinder.

Last edited:
........ When I read RRjis post about my tutorial, I wanted to live up to that reputation and made this post just a tutorial. ...........
Thanks for bringing back old memories of the manual coffee beans grinder, Vaagmi Sir!

I have also seen a coffee beans roaster in my uncle's house. It was a cylindrical iron vessel with a sliding door to fill up

the coffee beans. The handle attached to the cylinder will enable us to rotate it over a plate holding burning charcoal. The

aroma will indicate that the roasting is enough. The roasted beans are stored in airtight container; enough powder freshly

ground every morning to make the yummiest coffee possible!

Oh! That mAmA was an expert in coffee making and a coffee addict too! :)

P.S: Those were the days when LICO (? ) charcoal was sought after by many. Does anyone remember?

most in chennai prefer mixes of plantation and peabury 60-40 or 50-50 with no chicory.or leo

in karnataka it is mostly the kothas blends

delhi it is mostly indian coffee boards coffee.

one an always get good coffee.

try ethopian coffee or star bucks if you are abroad for a change

as they say a lot can happen over a cup of coffee.

try saravanabhavan at chennai railway station early morning.

Thanks for bringing back old memories of the manual coffee beans grinder, Vaagmi Sir!

I have also seen a coffee beans roaster in my uncle's house. It was a cylindrical iron vessel with a sliding door to fill up

the coffee beans. The handle attached to the cylinder will enable us to rotate it over a plate holding burning charcoal. The

aroma will indicate that the roasting is enough. The roasted beans are stored in airtight container; enough powder freshly

ground every morning to make the yummiest coffee possible!

Oh! That mAmA was an expert in coffee making and a coffee addict too! :)

P.S: Those were the days when LICO (? ) charcoal was sought after by many. Does anyone remember?

hi madam

we had KUMUTI in our home in my village...we use LICO CHARCOAL .....i have still OLD HAND GRINDER coffee maker in our

in law's home.....we get coffeee seeds in home....roasting and grinding by hand....in chennai...i like COFFEE DAY coffee

powder according to my custom made coffee with CHICKORY....ITS AROMA BEAUTIFUL...

hi

generally in north america...........COLUMBIAN AMAZON FOREST COFFEES ARE FAMOUS....i still like starbucks or

dunkin douhnot's COLD COFFEE.....COFFEE WITH ICE CUBES.....

most in chennai prefer mixes of plantation and peabury 60-40 or 50-50 with no chicory.or leo

in karnataka it is mostly the kothas blends

delhi it is mostly indian coffee boards coffee.

one an always get good coffee.

try ethopian coffee or star bucks if you are abroad for a change

as they say a lot can happen over a cup of coffee.

try saravanabhavan at chennai railway station early morning.

hi

try sangeetha's coffee in chennai air port early morning...so cool...

The most attractive coffee I ever had in my life!

Dancing coffee at Kolkata. :)

IMG_1214.JPG

Namaste,

Since I bought an Indian mixie, I did not try a coffee grinder till now. Recently, someone presented me a Coffee Grinder (Capresso Spice and Coffee Grinder) knowing my interest in it. I tried grinding some of my routine spice mixes in it -- it is fantastic, both grinding the mix into a fine powder as well as making much less noise than a mixie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back