• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why You Need to Exercise Much More Than Your Ancestors Did

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Why You Need to Exercise Much More Than Your Ancestors Did[/h] Our ancestors, who had to hunt and gather their food before the invention of agriculture, were more physically active than we are. Their bones were much stronger, too.

Written by Nina Lincoff | Published on December 24, 2014

A new study shows that human skeletons today are much lighter and more fragile than those of our ancient ancestors. This is mainly a result of the invention of agriculture and a drop in our level of physical activity.

In the study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers from the University of Cambridge and Penn State University analyzed X-ray images of thigh bones from modern humans, as well as those from humans who lived thousands of years ago.
They compared these samples to bones from other primates, including orangutans. The femur, or thigh bone, is the longest and strongest bone in the human body.

According to the researchers, after people stopped hunting for food and became involved in agriculture, a more sedentary lifestyle became the norm. This sedentary lifestyle led to more delicate, lighter, and weaker bones.

"Contemporary humans live in a cultural and technological milieu incompatible with our evolutionary adaptations,” said study co-author Colin Shaw, Ph.D., a researcher with the University of Cambridge’s Phenotypic Adaptability, Variation, and Evolution research group, in a press statement.

Contemporary humans live in a cultural and technological milieu incompatible with our evolutionary adaptations.

The researchers focused on the inside of the femoral head, which is the ball at the top of the femur that fits into the pelvis and forms the hip joint. The hip joint is a load-bearing joint, which means it is affected by wear and tear from everyday exercise.

The team analyzed the bones of 229 individuals from various primate species and 59 individuals from four historical human populations. They looked at the bones of those who obtained food without being physically active, and of those who were foragers, meaning that they searched and hunted for their food.

While human hunters from about 7,000 years ago had strong bones, similar to those of modern orangutans, farmers six generations later had much weaker bones. In fact, the ancient hunters’ bone mass was about 20 percent greater than the bone mass of the later farmers.

122414_spineillustration_BODY.jpg

“The morphological differences between the highly mobile foragers and relatively sedentary village agriculturalists clearly point to physical activity as a major determinant of bone mass in the hip joint,” the researchers concluded.

Shaw said that in the past 50 to 100 years, there has been a major and potentially dangerous shift from physical activity for survival to a more sedentary lifestyle.

The study emphasizes the importance of physical exercise for bone health, in particular skeletal loading. "Sitting in a car or in front of a desk is not what we have evolved to do,” said Shaw.

Dear Ganesh,

Yes! But we can't go back to 'that' age again!

In case of women, their household chores were very tough a few decades back but now we see machines doing all hard work for us.

Due to the changes in life style and diet, even young girls have over weight.

My grandfather used to do some gardening, washed his cloths and walked a lot inside the house, chanting Rama nAmA. He was very

thin and strong; lived up to the ripe age of 84. :)

Dear Raji Madam, Absolutely, we cannot go back ......Can we do at least 30 minutes of brisk walking daily...This seems to be the magic potion for us..A panacea for the ills of the modern world

Dear Raji Madam, Absolutely, we cannot go back ......Can we do at least 30 minutes of brisk walking daily...This seems to be the magic potion for us..A panacea for the ills of the modern world

Dear Vgane ji,

Th article you posted is right...we have to do more exercise.

Even the 30mins a day frankly speaking I feel is not enough becos the rest of the day we are sedentary.

That is why for 2015 my Resolution is going to be to include some extreme sports on weekends.

I feel my daily work out of 30 mins cardio..10 min weights and 30 mins Yoga is not enough.

The body is asking for more as it ages.

So its good to include some weekend outdoor extreme sports that will work out the body more cos we work mainly indoors these days.

We have to blend physical activity with our daily chores. Why treat exercises differently and allow specific time?

Nitya karmas tamke care of breathing, meditation and cleansing the mind. Sashtanga and surya namaskaram and mudra's provide some hata yoga. Doing manual labour with proper postures and walking with created opportunities (like local shopping). For majority exercises were built into lifestyle, special exercises only for getting skills like wrestling.
Static and dynamic exercises can be made part of a normal everyday lifestyle.

Here is an interesting information. We have discussed it earlier in forum.

It is about walking in the shape of number 8!

Here it is for those who can read Tamil:

[FONT=TSCu_ArulMathi]சூரிய நமஸ்காரத்துக்கு இணையான ஆசனம் வேறு ஏதும் இல்லை. இந்தக் காணொளியில் நீங்கள் சூரிய நமஸ்காரத்தைக்

கற்றுக் கொண்டு செய்ய ஆரம்பிக்கலாம். [/FONT]

[FONT=TSCu_ArulMathi]
இன்னொரு குறிப்பு: வெறுமனே நடப்பதை விட எட்டுப் போடுவது நல்லது. இரண்டு நாற்காலிகளை வைத்து எட்டு போல்

சுற்றி வரவேண்டும். ஐந்து நிமிடங்களுக்கு ஒரு முறை வலம் இடம் இரண்டையும் மாற்ற வேண்டும். நாகேஸ்வர ராவ்

பூங்காவில் பலரும் எட்டுப் போடுவதைப் பார்க்கிறேன். ஆனால் அவர்கள் மிக நீண்ட வட்டத்தில் சுற்றுகிறார்கள். இரண்டு

நாற்காலிக்கும் இடையே இரண்டு அடி தூரம் தான் இருக்க வேண்டும். எட்டு போடுவதால் கொழுப்பு குறையும். ரத்த

அழுத்தமும் சர்க்கரை அளவும் சீராக இருக்கும். [/FONT]

[FONT=TSCu_ArulMathi]
[/FONT]
See more at: [FONT=TSCu_ArulMathi]Andhimazhai [/FONT]

We have to blend physical activity with our daily chores. Why treat exercises differently and allow specific time?..........
Some golden rules:

1. When travelling by bus, get down one or two stops earlier and walk to the destination.

2. Use staircase instead of a lift, at least for two or three floors.

3. Don't sit on a low stool while taking bath; have a bath standing and bend down to scrub the legs and feet.

We can think of more simple exercises like this! :decision:

When my brother took over as the V C of an institution, the senior doctors gathered near the lift to take him to his room.

But he went up the stairs and others had to follow! Now a days, at least on seeing the V C, doctors take the flight of stairs! :D

In germany, I was with an executive, who parked his far away from the factory entrance and walked about a km, even though space was available near the entrance. Walking must be resorted to by creating an opportunity when time is available.

Also many Companies are insisting on standing meetings..No more relaxed sitting meetings..Google is already doing this! With standing meetings, you get more effective from a meeting stand point (no more verbose speeches) and it also exercises our muscles and so it is good from a health stand point also

During mobile phone meetings, my son never sits in one place! He keeps on walking in his house.

Once, when he came out of his room talking, I asked him what he wanted, without noticing his blue tooth mobile phone head set! :D

Combining business and exercise contrary to business and pleasure!
During mobile phone meetings, my son never sits in one place! He keeps on walking in his house.

Once, when he came out of his room talking, I asked him what he wanted, without noticing his blue tooth mobile phone head set! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back