• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

a book about us - Tamil-Brahmans-Making-Middle-Class-Caste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have not read the book.
A cruise along the streets of Chennai—or Silicon Valley—filled with professional young Indian men and women, reveals the new face of India. In the twenty-first century, Indians have acquired a new kind of global visibility, one of rapid economic advancement and, in the information technology industry, spectacular prowess. In this book, C. J. Fuller and Haripriya Narasimhan examine one particularly striking group who have taken part in this development: Tamil Brahmans—a formerly traditional, rural, high-caste elite who have transformed themselves into a new middle-class caste in India, the United States, and elsewhere.

Fuller and Narasimhan offer one of the most comprehensive looks at Tamil Brahmans around the world to date. They examine Brahman migration from rural to urban areas, more recent transnational migration, and how the Brahman way of life has translated to both Indian cities and American suburbs. They look at modern education and the new employment opportunities afforded by engineering and IT. They examine how Sanskritic Hinduism and traditional music and dance have shaped Tamil Brahmans’ particular middle-class sensibilities and how middle-class status is related to the changing position of women. Above all, they explore the complex relationship between class and caste systems and the ways in which hierarchy has persisted in modernized India.
Tamil Brahmans: The Making of a Middle-Class Caste, Fuller, Narasimhan

The cover of the book clearly illustrates that the one of the authors may be from Iyengar community.

Does Tamil Brahmin mean only Iyengar community? The Iyengar population is very less compared to Iyer and Iyers are more successful in all fields than Iyengars. The cover should have both.

Iyers should desist buying this book, take it up with the authors about the stupidity and seek clarification as to why the cover only depicts Iyengar.

Indirectly the authors probably mean Tamil Brahmins mean Iyengar only.

The cover of the book clearly illustrates that the one of the authors may be from Iyengar community.

Does Tamil Brahmin mean only Iyengar community? The Iyengar population is very less compared to Iyer and Iyers are more successful in all fields than Iyengars. The cover should have both.

Iyers should desist buying this book, take it up with the authors about the stupidity and seek clarification as to why the cover only depicts Iyengar.

hi

when they put IYER.....then u will say ...he is not vadama....he is vaathimaaa....then u will say all vaathimaas inferior to vadama

iyers..lol

'Brahman' in the title is odd. It is either 'brahmin' anglicized 'brahmana' in the traditional way. May be there is a reason explained in the introduction or preface.

hi

when they put IYER.....then u will say ...he is not vadama....he is vaathimaaa....then u will say all vaathimaas inferior to vadama

iyers..lol

I think you wake up from a deep slumber.

I never discuss about superior or inferior qualities about Iyer sub sects. I just collect information about eminent persons in various sub sects. Please read my earlier posts properly, without any predetermined ideas.

Does Iyer community only have sub sects? Are there no divisions in Iyengar?

I think you are either an Iyengar or Vathima or Vathima Iyengar.

iyengars are the figures for both admiration and hatred as they are considered to be the ones

maximum caste conscious among all brahmins . they do not easily compromise on issues relating

to religion. In social,print, film media, they are maximum in limelight.

even in this forum , they stick to their guns and treat any view other than that prescribed by

their sect with disdain. most mean iyengar when they talk of tamil brahmin. . chandruji I doubt

you can take on iyengars and get your views on religion accepted.om namo narayana.om namo

venkateswara

iyengars are the figures for both admiration and hatred as they are considered to be the ones

maximum caste conscious among all brahmins . they do not easily compromise on issues relating

to religion. In social,print, film media, they are maximum in limelight.

even in this forum , they stick to their guns and treat any view other than that prescribed by

their sect with disdain. most mean iyengar when they talk of tamil brahmin. . chandruji I doubt

you can take on iyengars and get your views on religion accepted.om namo narayana.om namo

venkateswara

1. You have not disclosed your true identity - your denomination.
2. I have questioned the reason for showing only Iyengar on the cover page.
3. No one will compromise on religious / caste issues - Iyer, Iyengar, Mudaliar, Pillai, Muslim, Christian etc.
4. Your world is restricted to Cinema, Politics, Newspaper.

If you still want to compare the achievers from Iyer and Iyengar communities, you may refer Wikipedia.

I don't want to finish my reply with chanting of mantra, which, I feel, is quite unnecessary and unworthy for subjects like this.

Chandruji,

I think you have not read the book..Do not go by what is in the cover...I could see an abridged version...There is nothing to indicate that this book covers Iyengars only or only Iyengar POV..Do not go with that premise..Even if they put a Iyengar photo on cover it so what..It should not matter to us as we are a TB site & let us put aside the differences and read the book as a TB

1. You have not disclosed your true identity - your denomination.
2. I have questioned the reason for showing only Iyengar on the cover page.
3. No one will compromise on religious / caste issues - Iyer, Iyengar, Mudaliar, Pillai, Muslim, Christian etc.
4. Your world is restricted to Cinema, Politics, Newspaper.

If you still want to compare the achievers from Iyer and Iyengar communities, you may refer Wikipedia.

I don't want to finish my reply with chanting of mantra, which, I feel, is quite unnecessary and unworthy for subjects like this.

my religeous denomination and leanings -if you pm me I will confide in you.lol

2.iyengar with their caste mark look impressive on cover of books. it increases circulation of books

3.for a price most compromise . only one has to try a little more to convince others
4. my world is larger than you think. let us engage more and find out. your posts interest me a lot
5.both iyer and iyengar sects are achievers. iyengars achieve utilising the talents of other communities
Chanting narayanas name was to prove my identity.other iyengars in this forum also do it.
I learnt from them.lol

Last edited:
So ..... again Iyer - Iyengar difference has entered this thread! :sad:

I have given the link where this e-book could be read within 30 days for just seven dollars. :cool:
Those who are interested to read, please pay the amount and find out what is in that book. :ranger:

:peace:

what a stupid discussion. 'siva hum vishnu hum onnu, puriadhavanukku mannu'. why we iyers and iyengars fight. y see we hindus fight like this; then others viz muslims, christians etc take advantage and throw us out. I knows iyengars r the subliment of iyers. so then what. let it be. let us not highlight it - srinivasan

iyengar with their caste mark look impressive on cover of books. it increases circulation of books

for a price most compromise . only one has to try a little more to convince others

I agree with your views.
I also present that having shiva vibhuti does not represent brahmins, as NB also use vibhuti if they go to shiva or ganesh temple.

So ..... again Iyer - Iyengar difference has entered this thread! :sad:

I have given the link where this e-book could be read within 30 days for just seven dollars. :cool:
Those who are interested to read, please pay the amount and find out what is in that book. :ranger:

:peace:
rajiramji
what would we do without you.

you are there to pull my ears if I stray .

For a change I thought I could act iyengarish and pull a fast one on iyers.

thanks for the link.

I am acting a bit mean. I do not know if the knowledge this book will give is worth the dollars spent.

I would rather read the gist when wise people of this forum read and post.

Dear Krish Sir,

Though it is said 'curiosity kills the cat', I am always curious to learn something new.

So, by meddling with the link, I could read the first few pages of that book! :thumb:

It starts with the description of Satyamurti Aiyar, a tamil brahmin, born in 1914 at Tindivanam. ...........

Note: Curious Georges may click on
THIS LINK , wait till it loads and click again on 'Look inside'

seen above the image of book! Eleven pages of introduction are available for reading! :cool:

It starts with the description of Satyamurti Aiyar, a tamil brahmin, born in 1914 at Tindivanam. ...........

seen above the image of book! Eleven pages of introduction are available for reading! :cool:

Dear Raji Madam,

In my post # 11, in my response to Chandru, I hinted at this as I too read the abridged version.. Chandruji should be happy that it is after all a story of an Iyer

Dear Krish Sir,

Though it is said 'curiosity kills the cat', I am always curious to learn something new.

So, by meddling with the link, I could read the first few pages of that book! :thumb:

google preview gives 19 or so pages and then some pages towards the end. I felt, after reading those available pages, that the book is not about Tamil Brahmins but is a meandering account of brahmins in different parts of India, or some such thing. Does not look worth the high price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back