• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil writer Poomani wins award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raji Ram

Tamil Nadu is happy with this news!

''
Tamil writer Poomani’s novel, ‘Agngnaadi’ has been chosen for Sahitya Academy award, which is considered to be the most

treasured award.
Writer Poomani belongs to Kovilpatti in Tuticorin District. His original name is Manickvasagam and the pet-

name is Poomani.
The novel ‘Agngnaadi’ was written and published in 2012.

The novel has the background of the massive and disturbing riots that happened because of 2 castes groups during the end of

19th Century.
The effects of the severe caste war, the violence that is prevalent in each stratum of our society, the glowing and

growing friendship that blooms even among the gory violence, the wonders of Nature that binds the man and his earth are all

brought out in a unique vivid style by the writer after doing an extensive research.
The slang prevalent in the villages has been

used liberally in the novel.''

Source: Tamil Writer Poomani honoured with Sahitya Academy Award!

P.S:
I am sure Kunjuppu Sir will be elated! :)

I think it is Agnaadi (அஞ்ஞாடி) and not Agngnaadi..

Heartiest compliments to the Dalit writer Poomani

1. I think it is Agnaadi (அஞ்ஞாடி) and not Agngnaadi.

2. Heartiest compliments to the Dalit writer Poomani
1. The letter 'ஞ்' is written as 'gn' and 'ஞா' as 'gnaa'. Hence that spelling!

But I always feel that 'jn' will be better spelling for 'ஞ்' than 'gn'.

2. Let us not drag the caste in this. Let us wish this writer from T.N. :)

yes, thank you dear raji. i am very gratified.

அஞ்ஞாடி simply means அப்பாடி(sigh!) in வட்டார தமிழ்.

yes, thank you dear raji. i am very gratified.

அஞ்ஞாடி simply means அப்பாடி(sigh!) in வட்டார தமிழ்.
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

அப்பாடி(sigh!). I was racking my brain to find out the meaning!

I am yet to finish his short story book. :)

dear raji,

அஞ்ஞாடி is written in pure vattaara thamizh of southern districts. i found it very hard to go through. i gave up, intending to make another foray sometime in the future. same thing for joe d'cruz korkai, another modern tamil classic.

vattaara thamizh pioneers were tamil brahmins, with entire novels written in brahmin colloquialism. now perumal murugan, joe d cruz, poomani, n venkatesan and numerous young writers are reflecting the tamil of their area, and enriching the language.

what i find in poomani and perumal murugan's language, is so many terms, we used to use in badagara north malabar tamil, but not found in madras of those times.

here is jeyamohan's tribute to poomani, published quite some time ago, but as with all jmo's works, timeless.

பூமணி- சொல்லின் தனிமை

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

Even Poomani's short stories have lots of local words; a few of which make us guess the meanings.

I enjoyed his kavithai in J Mo's article. Here it is for other members who have not seen:

''ஆனால் ஆச்சரியமாகப் பூமணி அவரது முதல் குறிப்புகளைக் கதையாகவோ காட்சியாகவோ குறித்து வைக்கவில்லை.

ஒரு கவிதையாகத்தான் எழுதி வைத்தார்.

திக்கெட்டும் முளைத்த
தீப்பெட்டி ஆலைகள்
கக்கும் நெடிமூச்சில்
சிக்கி தினம் கருகும்
கருவேலம் பூக்கள்
சருகாகும் கதையிது
களிப்புத் தெம்மாங்கில்
கரிசல் நிலமெங்கும்
உழைப்புத்தடம் பதித்து
பிழைக்கும் பெண்குயில்கள்
ஆலைக்கூடு தேடி
அலையும் சோகமிது

என்று ஆரம்பிக்கும் அந்தக் கவிதை இப்படி முடிகிறது

அரங்கேறி முடித்து
அடுத்தநாள் விடியும்போது
பொழுதேறும் வானத்தில்
விழுதுகளை வெறித்தபடி
கரையேறக் காத்திருக்கும்
கருவேல மொட்டுக்கள்.''

:clap2:

ITHUKKUM ,EHTUKKUM vidysasam theriyatha muttal

enakku enna puthu kavithai puriyum. appadi thane?

kavthai enral athil vor azhagu irukka vendum, nalla karuthu irukka vendum

verum azhukai irundhal adhu oppari kavithai illai

Dear Krish Sir,

This is an introduction to his book which describes the life of poor people, OK!

Hence can not have flowery descriptions and will be like oppAri only! :Cry:

P.S: 'ethu' thAn 'ithu' endrAl 'ethu'-vai eppadi ezhudhuvadhu? :confused:

Samooha avalangalai patri kavithai vadippadhil enakku sammadam illai

kavithayil ,nalla karuthukalai solla vendum.

nalla vazhkai muraikalai patri pesa vendum

manadhukku magizhchi alikka vendum

bharathi, kanna dasan mathiri eliya murayil yellarum rasikka vagaiyil ezutha vendum.

naan sadarana manidhan. enakku nalla tamizh theriyadhu. aanal nalla kavithai rasikka theriyum.lol

Good that you were not in the selection committee, Krish Sir!

Otherwise, Poomani would not have received this award! :)

ponmani ezhuthu nalla sahityamai irukkalam. samoohadathai patri yezudhum urumai edukkalam. adarkku parisum

peralam.

kavithai veru ,adarkku sila neri murai irundal nanraha irukkum. illavidil yaar vendumanalum yenna vendumanalum

kirukki adhai kavithai yenru solla neridum. Adhu ungalakku sammadhama?

i

Hi krish44,

அறிவுரைகளைக்கேட்டுக்கேட்டு அலுத்துப்போயிருக்கும் அறிவொளிகளுக்கும், அடுக்குமொழிகளைக்கேட்டுக்கேட்டு அலுத்துப்போன அன்புமணிகளுக்கும்,

ஆதரவாக வந்தது புதுக்கவிதையும் ஹைக்கூவும்.

"நேற்றுப்பெய்த மழைக்கு இன்று குடைபிடிக்கும் கோமாளிக்காளானே" என்ற அப்துல் ரகுமானின் வரியைப்படித்துப்பாருங்கள். மழை பெய்து மறுநாள் ரோடோரம் முளைத்திருக்கும் காளானை இனி உங்களால் உதாசீனப்படுத்திக்கடந்து போகமுடியாது. அந்தக்கோமாளி உங்களை ஒரு நிமிடமாவது பிடித்து நிறுத்திவிடுவான். ஒரே வரியில் இப்படி விரிந்த கருத்துக்களைக்கூற கவிதையால் தான் முடியும்.

இங்கு சர்ச்சைக்குள்ளாகியிருப்பது ஒரு புதுக்கவிதைகூட அல்ல. அது ஒரு மரபுக்கவிதை தான்.

அவலங்களும், அழகுகளும் எல்லாமும் தானே வாழ்க்கை.

தினம் கருகும்
கருவேலம் பூக்கள்
சருகாகும் கதையிது

எனக்குக் கருவேலம்பூக்களைத்தெரியும். கரிசல் நிலத்தையும் தெரியும். கருவேலம்பூக்கள் சருகாவது எனக்கு நன்கு புரிகிறது.

கரிசல் நிலமெங்கும்
உழைப்புத்தடம் பதித்து
பிழைக்கும் பெண்குயில்கள்
ஆலைக்கூடு தேடி

பொருளாதாரப்பாதுகாப்புக்காக ஆலைக்கூட்டைத்தேடுவது புரியும் போது மனம் கனத்துத்தான் போகிறது.

விழுதுகளை வெறித்தபடி

இந்த விழுதுகளைப்பற்றி ஒரு பக்கமே எழுதலாம்.

இந்தக்கவிதை அழகு. அதன் உள் இழையொடும் சோகம் கூறப்பட்ட விதம் அழகு. நான் பார்ப்பதெல்லாம் அழகின் சிரிப்புத்தான்.

ezhaiyin sohathy solvathil enna azhagu?

adhai rasithu azhagu parpadhu vakramana sindhanai.vendame

Okay. What shall we do?

Shall we push all the அவலங்கள் and சோகங்கள் under the carpet and forget because thinking and speaking about them are all வக்கிரம் according to you.

Shall we say there is no poverty, there is no struggle whatsoever, there is no misery in life and it is all wealth and happiness everywhere? Whom do we delude by that? ரசிப்பது அவலங்களையும் சோகங்களையும் அல்ல அவை சொல்லப்பட்ட விதத்தைத்தான். அப்படிச்சொல்லப்பட்டதால் அது மனதில் தைக்கிறது. எனவே அந்தக்கவிதை பேசப்படுகிறது. சோகம் ஏழைக்கு மட்டும் இல்லை. பணக்காரனுக்கும் தான் இருக்கிறது.

I think there is no need to be judgmental about everything here.

Dear Krish Sir,

To express the sorrows of poor people in simple words requires a special talent.

Don't you enjoy this sad poem by P. B. Shelley?

quote-rough-wind-the-moanest-loud-grief-too-sad-for-song-wild-wind-when-sullen-cloud-knells-all-percy-bysshe-shelley-266578.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

Poverty is big business these days.

many NGOs live off indian poverty causes.

they approach indian and foreign agencies for study of various poverty related subjects . they collect huge funding

and employ youngsters for study and produce doctored reports on various subjects which satisfy these agencies.

I know of many NGOs who are making big money on study of poverty issues I am wary of poverty related books and

poetry. most of them are sob stories on poverty not matching ground realities may times. I instinctively withdraw

from creations of these types of

writers promoting such causes of so called down trodden and exploited poor and getting rewarded .

Poverty is big business these days.

many NGOs live off indian poverty causes.

they approach indian and foreign agencies for study of various poverty related subjects . they collect huge funding

and employ youngsters for study and produce doctored reports on various subjects which satisfy these agencies.

I know of many NGOs who are making big money on study of poverty issues I am wary of poverty related books and

poetry. most of them are sob stories on poverty not matching ground realities may times. I instinctively withdraw

from creations of these types of

writers promoting such causes of so called down trodden and exploited poor and getting rewarded .

Krish Sir, You may be correct but do you think the writer under discussion Thiru. Poomani falls in that category?

undoubtedly there is a awakening among the dalits that dravidian movement has failed them and has not got them the

respectability and non discrimination due to caste they had expected.some flirted with marxism ,others have tried

finding refuge in other religions. They continue to be at the receiving end of atrocities from intermediate castes.

through out india one hears of inhuman treatment of dalits by other castes. a writer can depict their poverty and

plight. there are no easy answers. It is no different from the issues faced by upper castes , who are at the other end

of the caste spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back