• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jyotish - Planetary friendships, neutrality and conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
I'm curious to know the reasoning behind planetary friendships, neutrality/conflicts, etc, as explained in our Jyotish sastra - for example, Rahu being friendly to Saturn and Venus, his being inimical towards Mars, Mars being friendly with Jupiter, etc.

Are there mythological stories to explain the above relationships?

I am aware of the story why Rahu/Ketu are inimical to and afflict Sun and Moon - the luminaries. This story is the one that comes off as the offshoot of the churning of the milky ocean and Mohini avatara of Sri Vishnu - that Rahu/Ketu are one asura who drank the nectar by being in disguise among devas and when Sun and Moon reveal the identity of the asura, Sri Vishnu severs the asura's head with his disc, thus separating the body from the head of the asura, into Rahu (head) and Ketu (body) which both survive owing to having drunk the nectar.

I wonder if other such stories pertain to other planetary relationships?

I vaguely remember the story about how suvarchala was forced into exile as she could not bear the radiance of surya, and sent chaya, her shadow, or likeness, in her stead. In course of time when surya came to know of this, he was angered and when sani (son of chaya and surya) defended his mother, surya cursed that his foot fall off.

That is why foot ailments are related to sani (saturn). And the story the explanation for the cause of enmity between sun and saturn.

Sevvai's adhipathi is deva senathipathi (destroyer of the asuras), and perhaps the planet is friendly with deva guru. And inimical to rahu & ketu (the asura camp). Only my speculation.

Thank you, auh ji.

I too faintly recall another story - that Budha (Mercury) being born to Brihaspathi's wife Tara out of an adulterous affair with Moon (Chandra), that this is why Mercury is inimical to his foster father Jupiter (because Jupiter is not his own father) whereas Jupiter being the merciful and forgiving parent is neutral to Budha.

This is Utkarsh Speaking: Chandra Tara & Adultery ? Concluding Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back