• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Excellent explanation to the divine name Ra Ma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent explanation to the divine name Ra Ma

12-dicembre-sitaram.jpg

“Ra” in Sanskrit means “That which is Radiant” and “Ma” stands for “Myself”.

That which shines forth within me, is Rama. That which is radiant in every particle of the Being is Rama.
Rama is born to Dasharatha and Kaushalya.

Dasharatha (In Sanskrit this means “the ten charioted one”) signifies the five organs of sense and the five organs of action.

Kaushalya (Sanskrit for “skilled”) stands for skill. The skillful reiner of the ten chariots can give birth to Ram. When the ten are used skillfully, radiance is born within.

Sri Rama was born in Ayodhya (Sanskrit for “the place where no war can happen”). When there is no conflict in our mind, then the radiance can dawn. Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, was born of Sumitra (the good friend). When the ten are cooperating with you then Awareness is born.

Source: Ram Navami | The Art Of Living Global

Excellent explanation to the divine name Ra Ma | Thapas

Saint Thyagaraja gives a special meaning for the name 'Rama'.

It is the combination of the soul of Siva mantra (ma) and the soul of Vishnu mantra (rA).

The gist of his song 'evarani nirNayinchirirA' is:

'O Munificent Lord, praised by this tyAgarAja!

What did the most eminent people determine as to who You are, and how did they worship You?

– whether Lord Siva or Lord VishNu or BrahmA or the Supreme Lord?

For the Siva mantra (OM
namaSSivAya), ‘ma’ is the soul;

for the VishNu mantra (OM namO nArAyanAya), ‘rA’ is the soul;

I salute the great personages who understand this detail.

Source:
Thyagaraja Vaibhavam

But even before Lord Rama was born the name Rama existed!

Parashurama's name was Rama too.

Parashu was added when he become axe friendly.

So why isnt this explanation of the name Rama bestowed upon Parashurama too?

Why does all the credit of the name Rama only go to Lord Ramachandra?

So shall we call Parashurama "My radiant axe?"

Last edited:
I am aware children are playing with words, and Gods name no exception. But how do i increase the quality of my awareness... switch off...that way my consciousness will be in a state of being in the being and not replace word play for vedic meditation !!

I am aware children are playing with words, and Gods name no exception. But how do i increase the quality of my awareness... switch off...that way my consciousness will be in a state of being in the being and not replace word play for vedic meditation !!

dear Sandhya,

If you switch off you would be tempted to switch on and the cycle repeats..so the nagging question is "Why is the switch even there to start with?"

dear Sandhya,

If you switch off you would be tempted to switch on and the cycle repeats..so the nagging question is "Why is the switch even there to start with?"

You stay switched on for ever and one day you decide to switch off.

You switched off and you are completely embraced and smothered by the silence. It is so beautiful that you do not feel like switching on again. You stay there and keep enjoying. Yes. Enjoyment is what you want. Have it in excess and ask for more of it like Shakespeare's heroine who said "If music be the food of love, give me excess of it".

Kaivalyam is like an all powerful enchanting seductress indeed. Rarely people try to get out of it.

LOL.

Lord Parasurama is only partial avataram; When the incarnation is only partial, i.e. the activity of such manifestation is limited to a particular time, place or incident. Vamana, Varaha, Narasimha, Kurma, and Matsya, avatar fall in this category ; Although Parasurama is Chiranjivi, his powers were transferred to Sri Rama lateron.

Parasuma Avataram is also overshadowing avataram, Avesaavataram

When Sri Rama married Sita and was returning from Mithila, he was accosted by Parasurama and challenged to a duel, where it is said that after bending Vishnu’s bow, Vishnu’s influence in Parasurama passed to Sri Rama. Thereafter Parasurama is said to be no longer an avatara. In this case, Vishnu’s influence that overshadowed the soul of Parasurama, passed on to Sri Rama.

Why is Parshuram considered as a partial incarnation of lord Vishnu? - Quora
Srimad Ramayana

HI All

My namaskarams to everyone.

I agree with Smt. Renuka, even before Sri Ramachandra, tharaka mantra Rama is more famous. Even before Sri Ramachandra
Shri Parameshwara recites this divine tharaka mantra on the ears of departed souls who shed their mortal coil in divine
city called Kashi. So why it is associated with Sri Ramachandra prabhu, what I can think of and what is the opinions of
some elderly people are Sri Ramchandra prabhu born as a human being and this divine tharaka nama is conferred to him by
acharya vashishtha(please correct me if I am wrong). Even though he is considered to be incarnation of Sri Maha Vishnu
he led his life by following dharma to the core, he never told lies, he never disobeyed his father, mother or his gurur's
words. Also he also did the rajya properly by following raja dharma to the core. He respected everyone, he followed yoga
abhyasa and proved that all human beings can become a yogi and realise the self by following dharma to the core. May be
that is the reason why Sri Ramachandra parabrahma name is associated with tharaka mantra.

May be people may disagree to this, but I have given mine and as well as the opinion of elders. Also in tamil siddha tradition
this tharaka mantra has different dimension. Since the topic is related to vedic dharma I restrict myself to stop here.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Om Sri Chandradekharendra Saraswathi Mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam Namah

HI All

My namaskarams to everyone.

I agree with Smt. Renuka, even before Sri Ramachandra, tharaka mantra Rama is more famous. Even before Sri Ramachandra
Shri Parameshwara recites this divine tharaka mantra on the ears of departed souls who shed their mortal coil in divine
city called Kashi. So why it is associated with Sri Ramachandra prabhu, what I can think of and what is the opinions of
some elderly people are Sri Ramchandra prabhu born as a human being and this divine tharaka nama is conferred to him by
acharya vashishtha(please correct me if I am wrong). Even though he is considered to be incarnation of Sri Maha Vishnu
he led his life by following dharma to the core, he never told lies, he never disobeyed his father, mother or his gurur's
words. Also he also did the rajya properly by following raja dharma to the core. He respected everyone, he followed yoga
abhyasa and proved that all human beings can become a yogi and realise the self by following dharma to the core. May be
that is the reason why Sri Ramachandra parabrahma name is associated with tharaka mantra.

May be people may disagree to this, but I have given mine and as well as the opinion of elders. Also in tamil siddha tradition
this tharaka mantra has different dimension. Since the topic is related to vedic dharma I restrict myself to stop here.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Om Sri Chandradekharendra Saraswathi Mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam Namah

No body questions the greatness of Tharaka mantra; it is about why Parurama Avatram is not famous like Sri Rama Avatarm although he also carries the name of Rama.

Last edited:

So shall we call Parashurama "My radiant axe?"

I like a person, want to elevate him to the highest level and retain him, as far as possible. To continue this process, I will look into new situations, combination of words, stories etc. to see that the person elevated maintains his status quo.

However, the consistency in this endeavour requires appreciation.

Saint Thyagaraja gives a special meaning for the name 'Rama'.

It is the combination of the soul of Siva mantra (ma) and the soul of Vishnu mantra (rA).

The gist of his song 'evarani nirNayinchirirA' is:

'O Munificent Lord, praised by this tyAgarAja!

What did the most eminent people determine as to who You are, and how did they worship You?

– whether Lord Siva or Lord VishNu or BrahmA or the Supreme Lord?

For the Siva mantra (OM
namaSSivAya), ‘ma’ is the soul;

for the VishNu mantra (OM namO nArAyanAya), ‘rA’ is the soul;

I salute the great personages who understand this detail.

Source:
Thyagaraja Vaibhavam

Everybody knows that Thyagaraja was a staunch devotee of Rama, despite stiff opposition from his father, brother and subsequently from his wife.

Was the reasoning from Thyagaraja or yours?

It has contradictions:

- If you remove 'Om and Nama', still you have Siva, but it is not so in the second word. If you remove 'Om Namo and RA', the resultant will be a peculiar word.

- Assuming even it is true, how will Vaishnavites agree that the word Rama was derived from
the two sentences you mentioned above. They will have to necessarily say Om Nama
Shivaya.

If this was from Thyagaraja, let us assume that this is applicable only to Smarthas, which was the denomination of that composer.

Dear Renu,

Just like 'pazham' refers to 'banana', 'Rama' refers to Lord Ramachandra. :)

Dear RR ji,

Now since you brought in banana here it can be like the Goundamani Senthil Banana Joke.

There are 2 bananas and which banana are you talking about?

So likewise there are 2 Ramas..which Rama are you talking about?

Parashurama or Ramachandra?

Dear RR ji,

Now since you brought in banana here it can be like the Goundamani Senthil Banana Joke.

This is not a Joke thread to bring Goundamani Senthil Banana Joke, only perverted mind think like this.

This is not a Joke thread to bring Goundamani Senthil Banana Joke, only perverted mind think like this.

Hello Sir...Banana is a fruit..how is it perverted here?

The joke is about 2 people who are talking about 2 different things and but expect to hear the answer they wanted.

Well..well ..well....It seems that someone is out to find fault with what I write??

Dear RR ji,

Smt. Renuka,

In religious matters, it is blind faith. Parasurama, people here say, was only a partial avatar whereas Rama (Sri Rama, that is) was a 100% full avatar. In such issues, the golden rule has always been, "You tell me the person, and I shall tell you the rule!"

The irony is, there is another thread running simulatneously, titled "Blind faith is bad for society"!

Some people have blind faith and as long as it does not bother any other person, it should be permitted! :peace:

Smt. Renuka,

In religious matters, it is blind faith. Parasurama, people here say, was only a partial avatar whereas Rama (Sri Rama, that is) was a 100% full avatar. In such issues, the golden rule has always been, "You tell me the person, and I shall tell you the rule!"

The irony is, there is another thread running simulatneously, titled "Blind faith is bad for society"!

Dear Sangom ji,

I somehow do not feel comfortable with this Purna or Partial Avatar theory..thats like dividing God into a higher and lower.

So in that case we humans should not complain of gradation in society becos we also grade Avatars as Full and Partial.

Whatever happened to Purnam Adah Purnam Idam?

Or is it sometimes Purnam Adah Amsam Idam?

Dear Sangom ji,

I somehow do not feel comfortable with this Purna or Partial Avatar theory..thats like dividing God into a higher and lower.

So in that case we humans should not complain of gradation in society becos we also grade Avatars as Full and Partial.

Whatever happened to Purnam Adah Purnam Idam?

Or is it sometimes Purnam Adah Amsam Idam?

There is no reference to the concept of "Avatar" in the earlier parts, at least, of the rigveda. There, the devas are apparently accessible to the worshippers, like people living in different parts of the same kingdom.

The avatar concept, imo, was fabricated at a time when the worship of krishna, most probably a folk hero with a yadava (shepherd caste) background and much adored by the women of that group, held in
high esteem by the general populace also, was to be positioned within the vedic pantheon and elevated to divine status. I believe that the priesthood of that period, (read Brahmins, if you so think) — roughly 900 BCE or around that period — composed the Harivamsam, Bhagavatam,and also made suitable insertions into Mahabharata and also amplified Gita, and so on, and achieved this objective.

But the problem of how to fit in this new godhead as one among the then-existing pantheon, was a stumbling block; krishna was already well-known to the people in his folk-hero form and so it was difficult to radically alter that history and give him a divine birth. That was where our indigenous genius hit upon the avatara (descent of a godhead from heaven into this world) theory. Vishnu was chosen for the purpose probably because Saivism built around Siva (Rudra) was already known in some parts of the country at least and Brahma and Brahman had not probably separated well enough. Vishnu was given the portfolio of protection of the jagat and avatara became an essential ingredient of the job. In order not to make Krishna a sudden avatara, 8 earlier ones were also created. Parashurama and Balarama happened to be coeval with Rama and Krishna respectively. Since the objective was to promote the two characters Rama and Krishna only, the other two had to be marginalized, and hence, the comparatively late, introduction of the idea of full and partial avataras.

Purnam adah etc., has no relevance to this, imo.

It seems from the reply of a member, the avatars of Rama and Parasurama happened at the same time.

Further, when Parasurama avatar was partial, and the powers of Parasurama were transferred to Rama, then the total avatars of Vishnu would not be 10 and it is only 9 or between 9 and 10. How can you treat an avatar as complete when the role of an avatar was not full?

The Parasurama concept is not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back