• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tampering with scientific temper Is scientific temper an attitude for both the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Tampering with scientific temper

Is scientific temper an attitude for both the public and the private domains or is it only for the public domain? Is it opposed to or can it coexist with superstition? These are questions India must debate

In early November, the Prime Minister announced that an important initiative to celebrate the 125th birth anniversary of Jawaharlal Nehru was the “promotion of scientific temper among children”. Endorsing this view, a few days later, the Home Minister, who is also the convener of the committee tasked to organise the celebrations, lauded Nehru’s leadership role in promoting scientific temper and in establishing the institutions of science in the country. He described Nehru as a “Rashtra Purush,” high praise which the Sangh Parivar reserves for very few. The message from the two leaders is clear: India needs to invest in “scientific temper” especially among the young if we wish, as a nation, to be a proud participating member of the world of scientific knowledge. There was no ambiguity about government intent. India was on the threshold of a new push towards scientific temper.

Issue of domains

Some weeks later, the Union Cabinet Minister for Human Resource Development, which is the Ministry in charge of schools, colleges, universities, the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research, the Indian Institutes of Management and the Indian Institutes of Technology, and thus with the responsibility for the “promotion of scientific temper among children”, was reported, by the media, to have spent four hours with an astrologer in Rajasthan.

When queried about the nature of the consultation, since it concerned the link between palmistry and forecasting the shape of the future, and about the message this publicly reported consultation would give to children, the Minister responded by asking the media to respect her privacy. She thereby introduced a new element into the debate. Is scientific temper an attitude for both the public and the private domains or is it only for the public domain? Is it an attitude of being, for the whole person, or is it only a protocol for public activity? Is scientific temper opposed to superstition or can it cohabit easily with superstition? Is astrology a science or is it superstition? Can the evidence from the palm provide testable hypothesis about future events, such as high humidity means that it will rain, or increased particulate matter in air will produce respiratory illnesses? Is there a causal relation?

These are interesting questions and India, following the Prime Minister’s call, will need to debate them. The urgency of the debate was emphasised when the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand stated, in no less a place than Parliament, that astrology is superior to science and that Jyotish is a science to make calculations lakhs of years in advance and that all other sciences are dwarfed in front of astrology. With these two counter statements, to the two of the Prime Minister and the Home Minister, the debate has now got very confusing. Can one make calculations lakhs of years in advance? Is scientific temper only a public and not a private matter? Is astrology the master science?

Read more at : Tampering with scientific temper - The Hindu

it is advisable not to meddle with any belief including so called scientific belief. if some one is affected or harmed by deliberate cheating or due to negligence, there are enough laws to catch and punish the culprits.

I feel what the country (our younger generations) will acquire is a "scientific temper to believe unquestioningly in unscientific (read "religious") temper"! LOL

LOL! who are the opportunist, atheistic or nihilist politicians to decide what is scientific and what is not? the king cannot question the sastras or the traditions but has the power to punish who violate laws and harm others. there are more quack doctors than quack astrologers, more quack lawyers than quack pariharam suggestors - more can be added.

the younger generation knows what will help them - iits and iims have not turned them away from temples, or from spiritual yogis. I read in a light hearted tamil blog - he saw a big group of youngsters near the main gopuram; but the main shrine was deserted. The whole yippy bunch was doing pradakshinam in navagraha corner. one visit to giri traders in mylapore is an educating experience, judging by the type of people visiting and buying religious and puja material.

I feel what the country (our younger generations) will acquire is a "scientific temper to believe unquestioningly in unscientific (read "religious") temper"! LOL

Scientific temper and religious temper are not mutually exclusive! They can coexist! In fact I feel being religious helps me to become wiser and understand what is right and what is wrong...This will only help me to sharpen my scientific temper to judge better ways of improving things (materials, phenomenon, process etc)

Scientific temper and religious temper are not mutually exclusive! They can coexist! In fact I feel being religious helps me to become wiser and understand what is right and what is wrong...This will only help me to sharpen my scientific temper to judge better ways of improving things (materials, phenomenon, process etc)

It is only a case of I feel...helps me. That is an example of scientific temper to believe religious untemper.

Sir,

While our Constitution guarantees Liberty of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship to every citizen, Article 15 A(h) of our Constitution has laid down to develop scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of enquiry and reform.

Can we say that our present system of education is so designed by our scholars bearing in mind the principles and guidelines stressed in Article 15 A(h)?

I just remember the following quote:

I keep six honest serving-men

(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

Rudyard Kipling (1902) – Just So Stories

Does questioning will transform one to wither his belief on religion?

Can’t both faith on Religion and Scientific temper coexist harmoniously?

Sir,

While our Constitution guarantees Liberty of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship to every citizen, Article 15 A(h) of our Constitution has laid down to develop scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of enquiry and reform.

Can we say that our present system of education is so designed by our scholars bearing in mind the principles and guidelines stressed in Article 15 A(h)?

I just remember the following quote:

I keep six honest serving-men

(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

Rudyard Kipling (1902) – Just So Stories

Does questioning will transform one to wither his belief on religion?

Can’t both faith on Religion and Scientific temper coexist harmoniously?

Sir,

Will any of the men why, how and perhaps when, be comfortable or acceptable to religion? Some questions may not be acceptable to religion, but science cannot brush aside any of those six men. That explains why science and religion cannot co-exist.

religion and science are different domains. it is pointless to set questions in one domain and expect answer from the other domain. even in science laws in one frame are not valid in another frame. religion raises a different set of questions which cannot be answered by 'known' science. our religion does not deny science or orders anyone not to study physical sciences or use the products of science. there is no conflict, no this or that. there is no need to pit one against the other. in simple terms, the scientist wants to understand and exploit nature, the religious wants to understand self and what is beyond life and existence.

we hindus are lucky. our time frame is not 7 days for creation, or our theories will not fail if science throws more fossils.

here religion refers to our sanatana dharma, vedanta and hinduism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back