• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why no Navagraha in Sri Vishnu Temples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why no Navagraha in Sri Vishnu Temples?

1) Vaishnava follows single god worship on Lord Maha Vishnu and pray only Vishnu and the parampara deities. Also the Nirthyasuries, Alwars and Sri Ramanujacharya like Gurus. No place for Navagrahas. Vaishna believe by praying Lord Narayana one can get Navagrahas blessings. Vaisnava treat all other deitys as limited power Devatas.

Sriman Narayana
|
|
Sri Lakshmi
|
|
Sri Vishwaksenar

Garuda, Anjaneya

All Alwars,

Sri Ramanuja

Sri Vedanta Desika

Sri Manavala Mamunigal

2) No Alwar sang in praise of Lord Maha Vishnu only and not on any Navagraha. Where as Kolaru Pathigam was composed by Thirugnyaana Sambandhar and thus Sivan temples have Navagraha Sannithis.

3) Sri Vishnu temples are constructed based on Vaikanasa and Panjaratra Agamas. Navagraha shrine inside a Vishnu temple is not provided in these Agamas.

4) Many small recently constructed Sri Visnu temples have Navagraha shrines here and there. But among 108 Divya Desam temples one temple has a separate sannadhi for Navagrahas.

Sri Koodal Azhagar Perumal Temple, Madurai has this distinction!

Source: Vidya C Rajagopalan

https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120106193552AAex3Dx

Interesting,

I found out about this only from this forum

It is to late I suppose to be made aware of restrictive practises of vaishnavite order

You have navgrha in the Koodal Algar Perumal Temple in Madurai and in this temple the on Vaikunda Ekadesi Sorga vaasal is opened in the Evemnings and not in earlymornings as in other vaishanvite temples!

God is neither great nor unique without a second.So. every angel/devata in his court has to be feared and hence placated. Don't get on the wrong side of any devata because god is helpless when a small devata gets angry. Pray to devatas and you have prayed god. Go to navagraha sannidhis first and if you have time go to gods sannidhi. Offer navagraha tharpanam daily without fail. Also pray to yamans after that without fail so that he does not come and knock at your door at an inconvenient moment. LOL.

God is neither great nor unique without a second.So. every angel/devata in his court has to be feared and hence placated. Don't get on the wrong side of any devata because god is helpless when a small devata gets angry. Pray to devatas and you have prayed god. Go to navagraha sannidhis first and if you have time go to gods sannidhi. Offer navagraha tharpanam daily without fail. Also pray to yamans after that without fail so that he does not come and knock at your door at an inconvenient moment. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

Read my post #3..but translate it into Arabic and you would know why I wrote that. I am starting to understand Vaishnavaism now.

Also pray to yamans after that without fail so that he does not come and knock at your door at an inconvenient moment. LOL.

Nothing to fear..no matter what you had been..even if you had never followed your Dharma..just call out Narayana Narayana and Yams and his Dutas will run away faster than a speeding bullet.

If you do not believe me ask Ajamila!

There is none greater than God!

God Tussi Great Ho!

Nothing to fear..no matter what you had been..even if you had never followed your Dharma..just call out Narayana Narayana and Yams and his Dutas will run away faster than a speeding bullet.

If you do not believe me ask Ajamila!

There is none greater than God!

God Tussi Great Ho!

I am appalled at your underestimation. I understood what you meant -arabic erc-and my post covers precisely that.

Interesting,

I found out about this only from this forum

It is to late I suppose to be made aware of restrictive practises of vaishnavite order

Krish Sir

Vaishnavas consider Worshiping Sri Krishna/ Sri Narayana is enough to Liberate themselves as the ultimate goal of life is Liberation from cycle of birth and death

They also do not worship Sri Vinayaka

What you find in Vaishnava Temples is Sri Vishwa Sena who is the commander-in-chief of the army of the Lord Sri Vishnu and the gate-keeper and "chamberlain" of Vishnu's abode Vaikuntha. Vishvaksena is worshipped before any ritual or function in some Vaishnava sects. He occupies an important place in Vaikhanasa and Sri Vaishnava temple traditions, where often temple festivals begin with his worship and procession.

BG Chapter 18
Chapter 18. Conclusion--The Perfection of Renunciation
TEXT 66
sarva-dharman parityajya
mam ekam saranam vraja
aham tvam sarva-papebhyo
moksayisyami ma sucah

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear.

So why you want to worship someone else. Krsna, Himself, recommends mam ekam, he alone. Therefore we must do like that. If one wants to water the tree he waters the root. There is no necessity of watering the branches. The demigods are all different parts of the universal form of the Supreme Lord. But Krsna is even more than that whole complete universal form. He is the origin of that universal form. Therefore I do not encourage you to worship this demigod, Ganesa.

Ganesh Worship? | Krishna.org
Bhagavad Gita As It Is, 18: Conclusion--The Perfection of Renunciation, Text 66.

Śrī Brahma-saḿhitā 5.50

yat-pāda-pallava-yugaḿ vinidhāya kumbha-

dvandve praṇāma-samaye sa gaṇādhirājaḥ

vighnān vihantum alam asya jagat-trayasya

govindam ādi-puruṣaḿ tam ahaḿ bhajāmi

PURPORT

The power of destroying all obstacles to mundane prosperity has been delegated to Gaṇeśa who is the object of worship to those who are eligible to worship him. He has obtained a rank among the five gods as Brahmā possessing mundane quality. The self-same Gaṇeśa is a god in possession of delegated power by infusion of the divine power. All his glory rests entirely on the grace of Govinda.

Sri Brahma-samhita Chapter 5 Verse 50

Dear PJ sir,

This sounds very ISCKON to me.

Becos its the ISCKON Bhagavad Geeta that translates Dharma as Religion and they are very free with the usage of the word Demi God.

When Lord Krishna said "Give up all Dharmas and surrender to Him" ..He was advising Arjuna to surrender to the Ultimate state.

For usage of grammar Lord Krishna had to use the word "Me".

So ISCKONites must have just stopped there and did not go one step further to think what other possibilities Lord Krishna could have meant.

Let me get back to you on other commentaries.

Dear PJ sir,

When Lord Krishna said "Give up all Dharmas and surrender to Him" ..He was advising Arjuna to surrender to the Ultimate state.

For usage of grammar Lord Krishna had to use the word "Me".

Ya Allah!!

Yes. very true. Lord Krishna must have spoken about the universal consciousness(UC) a.k.a. nirgunabrahmam. He suffered from the constraints of grammar and so said Maam Ekam. He was actually asking one part of the UC to surrender to the other part of the same UC giving up many other parts of UC (called sarva Dharmaan). ISKCONites are all unconscious. So know nothing about the UC.LOL.

Last edited:
Ya Allah!!

Yes. very true. Lord Krishna must have spoken about the universal consciousness(UC) a.k.a. nirgunabrahmam. He suffered from the constraints of grammar and so said Maam Ekam. He was actually asking one part of the UC to surrender to the other part of the same UC giving up many other parts of UC (called sarva Dharmaan). LOL.

Now I have question for you..if a person feels Lord Krishna was speaking literally to surrender only unto Him and He will take care of everything..so where does Lord Vishnu fit in?

Why didnt Lord Krishna say "Dear Arjuna..listen to Me...give up all Dharma and surrender to Lord Vishnu"

Lord Krishna did not say that!

So what did He mean?

1)Surrender only to Krishna or was He a representative of the 'Universal Consciousness"

So what is it now?

If its Surrender to the Universal Consciousness it makes the most "sense" provided one can actually surrender to the UC.

Now if one is only supposed to surrender to Krishna..so that means Vishnu is NOT the Ultimate!

Jesus! That's bad man..there goes Vaishnavaism.

So over to you now Vaagmi Ji.

Save me from this ignorance that is clouding my intellect.

Paahi Maam Raksha Maam!

Last edited:
As per my understanding, Lord Krishna is an awakened soul, so he knows he is not the body and the Paramaatma only. This is the possibility of everyone who realised it, like waking up from a dream. So he is trying to wake up Arjuna since Arjuna knows that Krishna is an awakened soul and also Krishna is friend philosopher and guru to Arjuna.

Now I have question for you..if a person feels Lord Krishna was speaking literally to surrender only unto Him and He will take care of everything..so where does Lord Vishnu fit in?

Why didnt Lord Krishna say "Dear Arjuna..listen to Me...give up all Dharma and surrender to Lord Vishnu"

So what did He mean?

1)Surrender only to Krishna or was He a representative of the 'Universal Consciousness"

So what is it now?

If its Surrender to the Universal Consciousness it makes the most "sense" provided one can actually surrender to the UC.

Now if one is only supposed to surrender to Krishna..so that means Vishnu is NOT the Ultimate!

Paahi Maam Raksha Maam!

Just as a government has so many departments, secretaries, ministers, etc., and a common man should approach the correct department for redressal of his/her grievances, or getting any benefit from the govt., what Lord Krishna says here is that if your problem is that you have committed a lot of sins and are suffering due to that, approach me and me only and don't even think of any other department of god like vishnu dept., narayana dept., nrisimha dept., rama dept., etc., and if you just perform a continuous dharna in front of my office, I will see that all your sins which are causing trouble, are written off, from god-government's records!! How he will do this is described in bhagavata, X-33 ;)

So what did He mean?

So what is it now?

Paahi Maam Raksha Maam!

Renukaji,

In the eleventh chapter of BG it is explained how Arjuna had darshan of the Viswarupa. So we can take it that he had understood Krishna was God.

In the eighteenth chapter the sloka "sarva dharmaan.........." comes. So there, when Krishna says "Maam ekam........", you should know who is God and whom Arjuna is asked to surrender to.

Krishna is an avatAr of Vishnu/SrimannArAyana/God.

This settles the matter.

After this "Sarva dharmaan...." sloka follows the sloka where Krishna says "idham thE nAthapaskAya nAbhaktAya kadhachana, na cAshusrushvE vAchyam na cha mAm yObhyasUyathi.

You know the meaning of that sloka also. So I stop here. Perceive.

what Lord Krishna says here is that if your problem is that you have committed a lot of sins and are suffering due to that, approach me and me only and don't even think of any other department of god like vishnu dept., narayana dept., nrisimha dept., rama dept., etc., and if you just perform a continuous dharna in front of my office, I will see that all your sins which are causing trouble, are written off, from god-government's records!! How he will do this is described in bhagavata, X-33 ;)

Dear Sangom ji,

So its seems clear that even the Bhagavad Geeta does not give the Supreme Status to Lord Vishnu.

Thanks.

Renukaji,

In the eleventh chapter of BG it is explained how Arjuna had darshan of the Viswarupa. So we can take it that he had understood Krishna was God.

Exactly!

You said it..Krishna is God!

The Vishwaroopam was Krishna Himself as God.

The Vishwaroopam was NOT Vishnu.

So then why do Vaishnavas "waste" time praying to Vishnu when Krishna is Supreme?

Why not directly surrender to Krishna?

OMG I just broke into a Bhajan..

Natavara Krishna Natavara Krishna
Radhe Nandalala

Hare Hare Madhava Hare Gopika Lola
Jai Krishna Gana Gana Neela Hare Krishna Gokula Bala

Krishna..Krishna..Govinda Gopala Govinda Gopala
Krishna Hare Krishna.

Krishna is an avatAr of Vishnu/SrimannArAyana/God.

This settles the matter.

Nope...matter is still not settled!

becos you see in the BG. Lord Krishna says;

"Among the Adityas I am Vishnu"

Then He goes on saying among these I am so and so and so on...that He can be described as:

Kaalangalil Avar Vasantham.... Kalaigalilae Avar Oaviyam..
Maathangalil Avar Maargazhi....

Ok back to real life...

He does NOT say "I am the Avatar of Vishnu"

Vishnu seems just to be one of the Adityas.

So that means Krishna is yet Numero Uno!

Last edited:
Nope...matter is still not settled!

becos you see in the BG. Lord Krishna says;

"Among the Adityas I am Vishnu"

Then He goes on saying among these I am so and so and so on...that He can be described as:

Kaalangalil Avar Vasantham.... Kalaigalilae Avar Oaviyam..
Maathangalil Avar Maargazhi....

Ok back to real life...

He does NOT say "I am the Avatar of Vishnu"

Vishnu seems just to be one of the Adityas.

So that means Krishna is yet Numero Uno!

Vishnu really was one of the adityas only at one stage after his (vishnu's) role in the rigveda as a companion subordinate to the mighty Indra. When krishna got into that ecstatic stage of declaring himself as the best/mightiest/most potent, etc., of everything under the sun and above it too, truth came out, as per the vedic dictum "satyameva jayate naanritam"!

Vishnu really was one of the adityas only at one stage after his (vishnu's) role in the rigveda as a companion subordinate to the mighty Indra. When krishna got into that ecstatic stage of declaring himself as the best/mightiest/most potent, etc., of everything under the sun and above it too, truth came out, as per the vedic dictum "satyameva jayate naanritam"!

Dear Sangom ji,

Then how come Vaishnavas do not realize this and still feel Vishnu is Supreme?

That means finally ISCKONites have won hands down.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I checked the commentary by Paramahansa Yogananda on the Sarvadharma Parityajya Maam Ekam Sharanam Vraja..

Ok Paramhansa's commentary is rather long for me to type but he says that Lord Krishna advises Arjuna to rise above all consciousness of nature of dualities of virtue and sin and their lesser dharmas or duties that keep the soul bound to matter.

He sought Arjuna from his unwillingness to battle his senses and physical human nature by exhorting him to give up all pertinent lesser dharma so that he could be free to perform the supreme dharma of finding God.

Ok back to discussion..here Paramhansa talks about lesser Dharmas to be given up so that to make way for Supreme Dharma but Krishna says "Give up ALL Dharmas"

So yet again open for interpretation.

Next is commentary by Adi Shankara:

Shankara says that by "Me alone" it means Isvara, The Self of all dwelling the same as all.

"I myself am that Ishvara do thou understand that here is naught else except Me"

So Shankara says that Krishna is Ishvara in this context.

So yet again Vaagmi ji..there is no talk about Lord Vishnu here.

If one takes the "Me" literally..its means Krishna.

If one is free to interpret it ..then "Me" becomes "Ishwara or God"

So what say you?

Renukaji
You have quoted Paramahamsa Yogananada and Adi Shankara Commentray . Kindly quote if you have the commentray of Sri Ramanjua and Sri Madhavacharya regarding the concerend verse .That will give us a more braoder picture from various dimensions .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back