• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

International Men's Day 2014: Facts and History; 10 Quotes to Celebrate the Unique Ev

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

International Men's Day 2014: Facts and History; 10 Quotes to Celebrate the Unique Event

Yes you heard it right! Wednesday, 19 November is the International Men's Day and the event seeks to highlight the fact that even men– once in a while – can cry for some equality and justice!

The day is marked every year as an opportunity to work together to improve the lives of men and boys all over the globe. The theme for the International Men's Day 2014 is "Working Together for Men and Boys"

The observance for the day is designed to "encourage greater cooperation in addressing issues that affect men and boys all over the world such as the shorter life expectancy of men, the high male suicide rate, our collective tolerance of violence against men, the struggles that boys can face in getting an education and the unique challenges of father-child relationships," the 'Men's Day' website said in a statement.

Started in 1999, the objective behind the day is to highlight discrimination against men and boys, while at the same time appreciate their achievements and contributions to society. Although if men have been discriminated against in this highly-patriarchal world, the #ShowMenSomeLove campaign by 'Emami' in India is arguing that the world must stop overestimating the privileges that men and boys supposedly enjoy.

The company has a
video which screams for some sympathy and attention towards the issues of men.

Read more at: International Men's Day 2014: Facts and History; 10 Quotes to Celebrate the Unique Event

Doctor Mam and RR Ji,

For and on behalf of all men of this Forum, I thank you both for your Greetings.:)

They have to belong to humankind

Great achievers may make inspiring men, but more important are those who refuse to be passive bystanders when women -- their counterparts in society -- are in trouble. Today is International Men’s Day

19BGMMAN1_2210266g.jpg

Great men hallow a whole people, and lift up all who live in their time,” said English writer, Sydney Smith. And from among our own, we have men who have done more good than we may ever see again in our lifetime, who have left an indelible mark in the hearts and minds of not just us, Indians, but of those around the world.

From Gandhi, Ambedkar and Tagore to Ambani, Bachchan, and Tendulkar, our inspirations are aplenty. And on International Men’s Day, city folk tell us who they admire most.

Author Milan Vohra doffs her hat to Kailash Satyarthi. “The work he’s done is absolutely gritty, tireless and selfless. It takes conviction of the highest order to give up a successful career at 26 and walk the talk and fight the fight on so many levels, unknown to many in India for so long - to prevent child labour. I admire not just his activism to free the children but his work in educating, rehabilitating them and working to change the law internationally. It saddened me that I hadn’t heard of his work until the Nobel Peace Prize,” she elucidates.

“An Indian man that I truly admire is Ratan Tata,” says Blossom Fernandes, air hostess and home baker. She adds: “Having had the privilege of flying him on various occasions, he is a man who displays exemplar qualities. Despite his status in society, he is extremely humble and courteous. He shows the world that no matter how rich or famous you are, you must always remain grounded and treat everyone with respect irrespective of their stature in society. As a budding entrepreneur, these are very important qualities for me to portray.”

For someone who believes leadership and learning go hand in hand, Mithun Lobo, an aerospace engineer casts his vote in favour of former Indian President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.

Read more at: They have to belong to humankind - The Hindu

Great achievers may make inspiring men, but more important are those who refuse to be passive bystanders when women -- their counterparts in society -- are in trouble. Today is International Men’s Day

Dear Bala sir,

It is only natural that men refuse to be passive bystanders becos they are active trouble makers!LOL

attachment.php

When a girl falls down
She is helped by so
Many people
But
When a boy falls down
Everybody laughs

When a girl licks
Her lips
She is thirsty
When boy licks
His lips
He is tharki

When a girl smiles
She is considered cute

When a boy smiles

He is flirt

Still people say
This is men’s world

Happy International Men’s Day 2014!

TVK

Attachments

• Mens-Day-2.jpg
    Mens-Day-2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 167
Dear Bala sir,

It is only natural that men refuse to be passive bystanders becos they are active trouble makers!LOL

Doctor Mam,

While I wanted to differ from you by our achievements and trouble shooting, the fact remains that while 'Tihar' has six jails for men has only one for women!!

attachment.php

When a girl falls down
She is helped by so
Many people
But
When a boy falls down
Everybody laughs

When a girl licks
Her lips
She is thirsty
When boy licks
His lips
He is tharki

When a girl smiles
She is considered cute
When a boy smiles
He is flirt

Still people say
This is men’s world

Happy International Men’s Day 2014!

TVK

Sir,

How true!!

Thanks for the posting.:)

Doctor Mam,

While I wanted to differ from you by our achievements and trouble shooting, the fact remains that while 'Tihar' has six jails for men has only one for women!!

Wow! Great!

Men still win...so it's a Men's world after all..outside or inside of prison!LOL

Sometime back, I have come across human chain in Chennai organized by the parents and sons who are affected by false dowry cases. Whenever any case relating to dowry harassment is lodged, the concerned boy and his parents are booked without any enquiry. It is said the number of false dowry cases are on the rise.

Let us pray on this day that false dowry cases are totally eliminated to free men from this harassment.

To all Men in Forum...enjoy this song!LOL

[video=youtube_share;PLss20JnUeE]http://youtu.be/PLss20JnUeE[/video]

Sometime back, I have come across human chain in Chennai organized by the parents and sons who are affected by false dowry cases. Whenever any case relating to dowry harassment is lodged, the concerned boy and his parents are booked without any enquiry. It is said the number of false dowry cases are on the rise.

Let us pray on this day that false dowry cases are totally eliminated to free men from this harassment.

Chandra Ji,

You are right.

In this connection I would to share the following news item:

[h=1]Husbands are victims of domestic violence[/h]Prashant Y | February 11, 2014

The Times Of India Report, When husbands are victims of domestic violence - The Times of India

Spousal abuse is a serious problem that is not just faced by women. While news of dowry-related harassment and crimes against women are reported extensively in the media, there are a growing number of men who are at the receiving end of harassment, and face physical and psychological abuse at the hands of their wives. What’s worse, the humiliation and shame of this act going public forces them to keep mum.

Sat in a chair and beaten by his wife as their help watched — this is what former James Bond stuntman Eddie Kidd endured for years at the hands of his wife Samantha.

After his wife was jailed, he told a British newspaper, “She had started drinking heavily and would slap me, punch me, strangle me and say horrible things. As a man, to be beaten by your wife is desperately humiliating and, in a way, shameful.” Eddie was left unable to walk after suffering injuries from a bike stunt gone wrong, and his wife called him a “f****** spastic” in fits of drunken rage.
Eddie found justice when his wife was arrested on charges of domestic abuse, but men in India are not as lucky, says Rukma Chary, general secretary, Save Indian Family Foundation.

“Domestic violence against men in India is not recognized by the law”.

The general perception is that men cannot be victims of violence. This helps women get away scot-free,” says Rukma
, who has been accused of domestic violence and dowry harassment, among other offences, by his estranged wife. Terming this ‘legal terrorism’, as the judiciary almost always favours the woman, he adds, “Domestic violence cases are supposed to be resolved in six months, but this never happens. Once a case is filed, the husband has to attend every hearing — which takes place once every 10 days — otherwise he is viewed as the wrongdoer in the court’s eyes. Mind you, there are no questions raised if the woman doesn’t attend hearings.”

Read more at: Husbands are victims of domestic violence : Save Indian Family Foundation ? SIFF

Dear Renu,

May be because men don't need toilets for doing # 1 job! :becky:

Dear RR ji,

I did not know it was also World Toilet Day until my staff told me that they heard it on the Radio where the male DJ was saying its totally unfair to have Men's day and Toilet day on the same day and was lamenting!LOL

Dear RR ji,

I did not know it was also World Toilet Day until my staff told me that they heard it on the Radio where the male DJ was saying its totally unfair to have Men's day and Toilet day on the same day and was lamenting!LOL

To stress the IMPORTANCE and indispensable utility toilets are allowed to be in Men's day as like MEN...!!

TVK

Dear RR ji,

Doctor Mam,

As a Doctor, you may know the importance of disposal of bodily waste which is an issue attracting attention of the world and hence the UN officially named November 19 as World Toilet Day to recognize the importance of sanitation.

And here is one of the Heroes who richly deserve to be celebrated on this day of International Men’s Day!

First man to wear sanitary napkin: An 'unlikely' hero for Indian women

Read more: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ero-for-Indian-women/articleshow/40783382.cms

Now you may know the serious connection of men and sanitation.

Even now in some parts of India, it is men who are used for cleaning the manholes. There are many instances where these poor workers have lost their lives due to suffocation, while cleaning the gas filled manholes.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Men too need gender equality'

Why are men deprived of gender neutral laws? Why should not the domestic violence act be made gender neutral? And why are fathers deprived of children's custody in case of separated spouses? These are some of the posers by men's rights activists on International Men's Day.
Just like women, men too are victims of sexual harassment at workplaces, especially in urban India, according to Kumar V Jahgirdar, president of Bangalore-based Child Rights Initiative for Shared Parenting (CRISP).

This fact, he said, is not often acknowledged and, consequently, men continue to suffer silently.

'The recent changes in law related to workplace harassment must be made gender neutral so that victims who are male are also offered protection and justice.'

For him,
International Men's Day, which began in 1999 and is observed every year 19 November, is a day to highlight the long ignored problems of men, especially those who are married. Jahgirdar said men should get adequate paternity leave just like women.

'This will enable the dads to provide emotional and physical support to the infant baby.'

Another men's rights activist Rajesh Vakharia, who is the president of Save India Family Foundation (SIFF), said: 'As the world moves towards gender equality and gradual elimination of traditional gender roles, we have to keep reminding ourselves that gender equality is a two-way street.'
'Freeing women from traditional gender roles is only one part of the game, which will achieve nothing, if attempts are not made to free men as well from traditional roles and social expectations,' he said.

Vakharia said it was foolish to expect men to believe in gender equality and change their mindset, while expecting them to meet old traditional social expectations.

Jahgirdar said it was strange that after 65 years of India's independence, not a single study has been done by the government that is related to the domestic and social life of a man and in understanding his problems.

Quoting the National Crime Records Bureau report for 2013, he said 64,098 married men committed suicide as against 29,491 married women. '
It's startling to know that every nine minutes, a married man commits suicide in India
.'

Source: 'Men too need gender equality' | News Today

why so many sob stories about men?

Men should act manly.

Stand up man and be counted

Else more women will do you in.

all ready you are the butt of jokes from women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back