• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Healing Power of Kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

By Lloyd Dean & James Doty, M.D.

We've all heard the old adage that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but what about a smile?

An extensive scientific literature review sponsored by Dignity Health and conducted by the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education (CCARE) at Stanford University reveals a growing body of scientific evidence that indicates kindness holds the power to heal. We now know that this often overlooked, virtually cost-free remedy has a statistically significant impact on our physical health. For example, the positive effect of kindness is even greater than that of taking aspirin to reduce the risk of a heart attack or the influence of smoking on male mortality. And it doesn't even require a trip to the pharmacy.

Those of us who work in the health care profession and study medicine have long believed in the value of a kind, compassionate bedside manner. But now, this belief isn't just a nice notion - it's sound science. The Dignity Health/CCARE scientific literature review shows that when patients are treated with kindness -- when there is an effort made to get to know them, empathize with them, communicate with them, listen to them and respond to their needs -- it can lead to the following outcomes:

• faster healing of wounds,
• reduced pain,
• reduced anxiety,
• reduced blood pressure,
• and shorter hospital stays.

The research also shows that when doctors and nurses act compassionately, patients are more likely to be forthcoming in divulging medical information, which in turn leads to more accurate diagnoses. They are more likely to adhere to their prescribed treatments, which leads to fewer readmissions.

The review also found that patients aren't the only ones who see better results from kind treatment -- the doctors, nurses, and caregivers who provide the kind treatment benefit as well. A kinder work environment helps employees feel more engaged and less exhausted, which is incredibly important to caregivers who often work long and unpredictable hours in high-pressure jobs.
The Healing Power of Kindness | Project Compassion Stanford

To be frank..those who are in the health service know how hard it is to be displaying "kindness" 24/7.

Believe me..when doing 48 hours call without sleep..Kindness is not really in anyone's mind.

Being professional and competent is what is possible..emotions need to be kept under check.

At the back of the mind ..no doctor wants a patient dead.

So as long one is "kind' enough to work on those lines it should suffice.

Most of the while most of us medical professionals have learnt to fake emotions so well and we might appear to be "kind" but deep inside we might remain totally aloof and just work on the lines of getting the patient well as soon as possible.

Smiles are surely there..I do give broad grinned smile to patients but it has become so routine that its like a reflex..see patient..smile..see patient..smile.

Emotions is totally 0%.

I feel if kindness therapy is indeed needed....a new department should be set up where retired doctors who are no more in practice can spend time with patients and play Vasool Raja MBBS.

When I am retired I dont mind playing "Kindness doctor" becos the responsibility of treatment is no more in my hands.

Last edited:
To be frank..those who are in the health service know how hard it is to be displaying "kindness" 24/7.

One of my cousin's daughter when she finsihed MBBS told that at first when she was working in a Govt Hospital in India she used to go in rounds with the Senior Doctor and was really shocked by the plight of many people in the Govt Hospital and used to really weep and the Senior Doctor seeing this gave her a solid advice that the first thing that she must learn as a Doctor is to make her heart like a stone . He did not mean to be insensitive but practical and said that they are there to render the best possible service under prevailing conditions and with the prevailing resources and if they strat thinking about who will take care of these poor people , how will they buy the medicines etc etc then they will end up only crying and wont be able to do any work worthwhile .

When I am retired I dont mind playing "Kindness doctor" becos the responsibility of treatment is no more in my hands.
True . In fact many Spiritual Institutions request not just retired people but also retired individuals from various walks of life to meet people in Hospitals and spend time with them talking to them and keeping them happy and while they cant medically help them but at least by sepdning some good time with them they can bring more positive energy in to those sick and uncared people .

Sometimes senior doctors doing the rounds with juniors could be interesting and extra professional

When I was in hospital with a relative undergoing laproscopy with approx 2 inch tube inserted thru rectum screaming in pain,

the senior doctor was in front of digital screen with his students and telling his students , ' see how beautiful it is inside the body . this lump here needs to be examined

in greater detail' Students one after the other , jostled to get a view of the insides and the lump.lol

What I sometimes dislike is....general public tolerate all nonsense from any other sector without complaining....when it comes to the health sector alone everyone wants a doctor or nurse to be a super human!

All this sermon about Healing Power of Kindness should not be limited to the medical service alone.

I feel people should learn to accept the fact that its humanly normal to be very caring on some days and rather cold on other days.

Which human can be the same 24/7?

That is why I say that eventually a doctor learns to fake his/her emotions to be able to put on a caring front 24/7.

It might land some of us doctors an Oscar for superb acting!LOL

Last edited:
Doctors have brought it upon themselves by talking of their profession as noble service and arousing expectations of common folk.

why not teach in medical colleges is that it is just a job to make a living and nothing more.

most doctors have idolised themselves and when people want to treat them as minigods , they suddenly feel bad and shout we are like you.

you cannot have it both ways young lady.

you are the curing goddess . you are next to mariatha

we will not let you change your image and have any another avathar

Doctors have brought it upon themselves by talking of their profession as noble service and arousing expectations of common folk.

why not teach in medical colleges is that it is just a job to make a living and nothing more.

most doctors have idolised themselves and when people want to treat them as minigods , they suddenly feel bad and shout we are like you.

you cannot have it both ways young lady.

you are the curing goddess . you are next to mariatha

we will not let you change your image and have any another avathar

Hey great idea! All problems arise when we are humans!

In fact being a Mariatha or Kaliatha is better becos I can just sway in a trance and use some neem leaves to hit those I cant stand and have no risk of being sued!LOL

So Mariatha or Kaliatha it is!LOL

My doctor dad was very famous for the healing power of kindness. The smile on his face and the kind words he talked

to his patients are still remembered by many, in my village. Those words used to heal 50 % of the illness! :thumb:

you know renukaji,it took me a lot of time to accept doctors are normal human beings with same feelings as others.

people like Mother Therasa have associated the profession of doctors and nurses as service to humanity and painted these people as noble and as different type of

human species. They have been put on a pedestal for human worship.lol

there was a satyajit ray film ' devi'

A normal married lady with normal emotions and desires , every one starts believing that she has supernatural powers and start worshipping her as a devi.

Do you recognise yourself in her.lol

She is forced to cry out that she is a normal person and would like to shed her 'devi' status.lol

you know renukaji,it took me a lot of time to accept doctors are normal human beings with same feelings as others.

people like Mother Therasa have associated the profession of doctors and nurses as service to humanity and painted these people as noble and as different type of

human species. They have been put on a pedestal for human worship.lol

there was a satyajit ray film ' devi'

A normal married lady with normal emotions and desires , every one starts believing that she has supernatural powers and start worshipping her as a devi.

Do you recognise yourself in her.lol

She is forced to cry out that she is a normal person and would like to shed her 'devi' status.lol

Dear Krish ji,

I never consider myself a Devi.

Being a DEVIL is always more fun!

For me its simple..there is NO Noble profession in the world.

There are only professions becos if one gets paid for a job its a transaction.

Noble is only when you dont get paid and still do the job and as far as I know there is no profession that one works without getting paid in cash or kind.

I do not believe in glorifying any profession.

Even Mother Teresa had a motive..to convert more to Christianity..so if you ask me I would say she is a determined and hardworking person..Noble? Nope!

Dear renukaji
As for concept of devi I was talking is of perception of others over which you have no control.

you make a poor devil even if you aspire to be one. lol

nobility is a label -you have cry yourself hoarse to shed the label.

the minute anyone realises you are a doctor , they will come out with their real and imaginary ailments.

you have to switch into devi mode and be kind and switch back to normal behaviour after sometime

Gender issues are the same . You have to act like the stereotype of the gender you belong to . there is no escape.

so you are hammered to a cross , grin and enjoy it.lol

What Dr. renuka has explained is the truth & all Doctors are expected to follow, obviously that is what would have been told when young Doctors are finishing the course & become ready to shoulder great responsibility. By & lat=rge all doctors treat the patients for their illness & try their best to get them cured In the process they do give moral encouragement & we cannot link or attribute to sympathy or kindness Etc. In villages , esp in the olden days Doctors would be knowing the families of patients & that rapport would result in expression of kindness of heart & feel that the Doctor had saved the lives . After all profession of Doctors & Teachers are kept in High pedestal by all.
Rishikesan

rishikesanji

that is the point. doctors do not like to be placed on high pedestals by all

old timers get carried away and think of them as demigods which many doctors resent.

why is it felt they alone be distributing kindness all over the world ?

would you like to be worshipped as a God if you are a finance man and saved crores for the govt by harsh auditing and curbing foul play in financial transactions

why the profession of doctors viewed differently .

most are clinical in approach to treating patients and there is professionalism and nothing else. it is just a job to be treated as such.

thats the point that our good lady was making

rishikesanji

that is the point. doctors do not like to be placed on high pedestals by all

old timers get carried away and think of them as demigods which many doctors resent.

why is it felt they alone be distributing kindness all over the world ?

would you like to be worshipped as a God if you are a finance man and saved crores for the govt by harsh auditing and curbing foul play in financial transactions

why the profession of doctors viewed differently .

most are clinical in approach to treating patients and there is professionalism and nothing else. it is just a job to be treated as such.

thats the point that our good lady was making

Yes..you are 100% right.

I want to just do my job.

Glorification makes people expect the impossible from a doctor.

When one becomes a doctor one is also at the losing end for sympathy.

Once when I was in India there was a big crowd in Puttaparthi and I felt dizzy and sat down fast and my husband asked others to give some space.

Then one white lady and a few other came to me and asked me if I am ok and she said may be I should go to see a doctor and she seemed caring and was holding my hand.

I did not tell her I am a doctor but my husband told her 'she is a doctor herself and I guess she will have to see another doctor if she does not get better"

Then the lady left my hand..and she said "O' in that case you should know what to do" and she left.

I was thinking "right away the caring crowd dispersed"

A doctor gets no sympathy!LOL

So people should not expect us to be saints either!LOL

Last edited:
.......... why the profession of doctors viewed differently .........
Don't you know that they can save lives?

The protector of people is Lord Narayana! :hail:

P.S: May be, we can call the drivers of vehicles / pilots as Lord Shiva since they can either save our lives or kill us in a crash!
icon3.png

.......... I did not tell her I am a doctor but my husband told her 'she is a doctor herself and I guess she will have to see another doctor if she does not get better"

Then the lady left my hand..and she said "O' in that case you should know what to do" and she left. ..........
Dear Renu,

When the doctor is alert and awake he / she should know about the problem.

That lady would have reacted different if you had fainted! :lol:

My brother refuses to visit a houses of a few relatives. :nono:

Reason:

They will form a Q, with scan / X ray / lab test reports along with their doctor's prescription in their hands, to get his opinion!

They forget even to offer some drink / snacks to the doctor guest! :D

Don't you know that they can save lives?

The protector of people is Lord Narayana! :hail:

P.S: May be, we can call the drivers of vehicles / pilots as Lord Shiva since they can either save our lives or kill us in a crash!
icon3.png
OK, would you like to be treated as a Goddess Saraswathi as you are a teacher and someone says you have Godlike qualities

you will laugh it off.

for doctors also it is the same . they are doing their job

a life gets saved due to their practise of their profession , so be it . on the other hand someone passes away , you might throw stones on the doctor and would

compare him with the devil.

this is extremism of sorts

....... a life gets saved due to their practise of their profession , so be it . on the other hand someone passes away , you might throw stones on the doctor and would

compare him with the devil. .........
Not a devil, but Yamadharma!! :lol:

My brother refuses to visit a houses of a few relatives. :nono:

Reason:

They will form a Q, with scan / X ray / lab test reports along with their doctor's prescription in their hands, to get his opinion!

They forget even to offer some drink / snacks to the doctor guest! :D

free consultation are the perks relatives enjoy when there is a doctor in the family.

once I met with a road accident

My nephew , an ortho , had to wheel me around hospital where he was working and get me treated by his seniors until I was OK . It took me three months to get well.

He paid the price of being my relative.lol

madam , regards one can put up with and even enjoy.
But worship?
People only compare good doctors to God!

They don't break a coconut or give some neyvEdhyam or do Arthi ! :nono:

P.S: Temples are built ONLY for cinema actresses in Tamil Nadu! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back