• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Silence is the thing, amid the din - prema ramakrishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CHANDRU1849

The article published in The Hindu on the importance of Silence is furnished below:

[h=2]A French Blue-and-White silent movie, The Artist won top honours at the Academy Awards in 2012. It had to happen. There is so much eloquence in silence. Remember the Charlie Chaplin genre of films? Are they coming back? I am no movie buff. But violence and noise are things humankind should shun. And silence being golden is a good break, and we are in dire need of it. The cacophony all around is killing.[/h]
We watch on television the noise and confusion that reigns in the world around us. Everybody has something to say but nobody wants to listen. There is zero tolerance.

We watch programs on TV where the anchor and a panel of experts discuss and analyze issues. They begin nicely enough, but when the debate gets heated, sparks fly and everyone begins to talk simultaneously. Even the anchor has a problem controlling them. The one with most lung power out-speaks others. We are left numb.

Thank god we have the option of switching of the TV to get instant relief. Today’s music is also all noise. Where are the lyrics and the soft and soothing voices? Thank god for classical music – we still can listen to them and derive soul satisfaction.

I admire the silence of the West. Their neighbourhoods are so quiet. One can drink deep of such silence, especially when one is on a walk absorbing a lot of things. I love my India alright, but our strong point is not silence. We may well be one of the noisiest countries on the planet. In the bus, or in queues, in movie theatres, restaurants or even when they go for walks, people talk so loudly that they will make up entire neighbourhoods – especially early in the morning. Now with dogs abounding on every street, if one dog starts barking, others follow it up with a chorus.

Even children don’t lag behind. I remember watching kids at play in a neighbourhood, abroad. There like the adults the kids hardly every scream or shout. Only Indian children scream their throats out.

This happened when I was once holidaying in the U.S. in Silicon Valley. A Japanese lady complained to the office of an apartment complex about an Indian family. The parents were off to work, and the grandparents had come for a holiday and they were teaching the kids slokas. Every time the kids recited back what had been taught, the grandparents and the kids clapped with all their might, creating a ruckus.

The Japanese laid said: “That is the time my baby is fast asleep and my neighbours are yelling their heads off. The baby is startled into waking up and I am unable to finish my house work.” Being in the adjoining building, I too had heard the kids reciting the slokas and thought it to be laudable. The grandparents, I thought, were spending quality time with them., but they could have kept the decibel level low.

Once upon a time fire-crackers were lighted only during Deepavali. Now they are set off on birthdays, weddings, elections and what have you. Accompanying them on such occasions is loud film music. The world, as Wordsworth wrote, ‘is too much with us’. We are drowning in a welter of noise and other negative factors like road rage, violence, fisticuffs and street fights. We are so much pent-up anger in people on a number of issues waiting to explode. The word ‘kolaveri’ said it all.

Remembering the ‘Tower of Babel’ where people were shouting themselves hoarse in a diversity of tongues and nobody wanted to hear the other? We thought it was mythical, but no, it was real enough. All the chaos is back, it seems. As they say there is nothing new under the sun and history has a way of repeating itself. Things have to come full circle.

Source: The Hindu dated 9.11.2014 under Open Page

Yes silence is golden, for others so they can hear me.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" is an American idiom used to convey the idea that the most noticeable (or loudest) problems (or people) are the ones most likely to get attention. It is alternately expressed as "The squeaky wheel gets the oil".
This may not be relevant but sometimes silence is because of fear and one might be biting our tongue. That is not silence.

Khrushchev was thundering his denunciation of Stalin and the Stalinist cult that held citizens of the Soviet Union in its thrall for so long. People had been controlled and brainwashed having Stalinist principles driven into their heads, many from birth. They were either unknowledgeable about anything outside of or before Stalin, or too fearful to even consider other paths of thought. To have these beliefs questioned for the first time was incomprehensible for many. Stalin abused his power and became paranoid of any challenges to his regime. He did not explain his motives nor did he try to justify his intent. Dissenters and subversives were severely persecuted or executed and freedom was confiscated from the people. This demand of absolute submission had rendered the Soviet people amenable. Though many were enduring horrible oppression, the steps necessary for change risked far worse. was thundering his denunciation of Stalin, the Stalinist cult that held citizens of the Soviet Union in its thrall for so long. People had been controlled and brainwashed having Stalinist principles driven into their heads, many from birth. They were either unknowledgeable about anything outside of or before Stalin, or too fearful to even consider other paths of thought. To have these beliefs questioned for the first time was incomprehensible for many. Stalin abused his power and became paranoid of any challenges to his regime. He did not explain his motives nor did he try to justify his intent. Dissenters and subversives were severely persecuted or executed and freedom was confiscated from the people. This demand of absolute submission had rendered the Soviet people amenable. Though many were enduring horrible oppression, the steps necessary for change risked far worse.

In the middle of the speech someone from the crowd shouted "why did you not oppose him". Khrushchev stopped his speech, and then in that silence asked the heckler to identify himself, utter silence (fear). Then Khrushchev smiled and said "do you now know the answer".
So a forced silence is not good, it will explode.

Last edited:
we are basically a noisy country.

when we go abroad , we miss the noise .

we feel at home with the noise.

all this is because we are like that .

we would not like to change because others want it.

also we are argumentative.

what would be our life if only we accepted everything without discussion and not saying everything we know about the subject under discussion.

Also we always start with no to anything until convinced otherwise.

Hamara noisy hindusthan . Jai hind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back