• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

So what is DISCRIMINATION ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SANDHYAV

I AM NOT A SOCIAL ACTIVIST, NOR A PROFESSIONAL IN SOCIOLOGY, Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this silly problem in MY FAMILY.

This question is mainly aimed at improving the complexity of ONE'S ( i would always want to make my personality complex and RICH ) personality.

ALL TERMS USED HERE ARE ONLY FOR CLARITY IN COMMUNICATION AND NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND ANY ONE OF ANY COLOR FOR THAT MATTER..

DO CONSIDER IT (this particular family problem) AS A discrimination between a Porridge with apples and a Porridge with Black berries....

During the later part of 1900, the black-white discrimination was prevalent.

At a Macro-level we read about Many great leaders fighting for it in Africa etc.
At a Micro-level even in predominantly Black area of South India even some of my close relatives used to get offended when this topic arose in family unions.

But this was prevalent even in 1980s and 1990s in south India...Again from a modern city in South India, where even the BLACK=EVIL and WHITE=BEST (vella ullam etc) was not predominantly taught IN SCHOOLS!

Let me clarify for those who are getting dragged into this whirlpool...

1940s South-Africa was invaded by whites...

1990s South-India was predominantly on the darker side .. So at a Micro-level for a MATURE family member of mine to take this matter so seriously, when as such they are the majority IN THE LOCALITY and the so called vella PONNU being the minority...used to confuse us a lot.. IN THE 90'S...

DO CONSIDER IT (this particular family problem) AS A discrimination between a Porridge with apples and a Porridge with Black berries....

BECAUSE THAT IS THE REALITY (almost all movies are just making fun of this BLACK-WHITE DISCRIMINATION- The Hollywood ones were making fun of it in 1950s i guess)

SO WHY THIS DISCRIMINATION (if still prevalent in your locality..IN A WIDER SENSE OF SOCIOLOGY) ?

Amongst FAMILY members Why WAS this DISCRIMINATION in the 1990'S in India? Just for fun ?

I think it is a mis-representation of OLD memories in a WRONG CONTEXT...

Last edited:
we have hang up about colour.

this is because a white colonial power ruled over us and made us feel inferior because of our colour.

even in families , the fairer child got treated differently from one not so fair in colour.

when it comes to marriage , most prefer fair skinned dumb idiots to less fair intelligent partner.

only a few can say "karuppu than Pidicha kalaru ' with confidence

Last edited:
Discrimination of a subtle kind is still prevalent all over the world. Even in USA, even after so many Indian American success stories (such as Microsoft CEO being Indian, Harvard Dean of Medical School being Indian, etc), we find that promotional opportunities into really big designations such as 'Director', etc are delayed or denied for Indian immigrants, should there be a competitor from the White majority.

Many, if not most of our deities are also fair-complexioned. Black colour is generally disliked (if not detested) in many families which have a fair complexion lineage; in such families they are very, very particular not to bring in a girl, through marriage, who is not fair complexioned. I think it has less to do with white people colonising us but has more to do with some deep-seated human psychology.

when it comes to domestic work , how many would employ fair coloured non brahmin cooks in brahmin homes.

why talk of indians not being preferred to whites for higher level jobs if a white option is available

Discrimination of a subtle kind is still prevalent all over the world. Even in USA, even after so many Indian American success stories (such as Microsoft CEO being Indian, Harvard Dean of Medical School being Indian, etc), we find that promotional opportunities into really big designations such as 'Director', etc are delayed or denied for Indian immigrants, should there be a competitor from the White majority.

I would not play this victim card in public. There are discrimination everywhere. I grew up in North, but i was treated as a southee.
There is gender bias, there is cultural bias so people are discriminated on various grounds.

There is Vaish(caste) group in my town in USA. They have Hindi classes, so some non-vaish kids participate. The vaish group put togather a cultural program, and sold tickets to public. When a non-vaish (A brahmin) kid wanted to participate, they turned it down because of his birth caste.

Namaste Prasadji,

The director thing is told by my hubby - he noticed this preference over other White candidates from his bosses when he was considered promotion into the 'Director' post.

By the way, at the outset of my career, there was a fellow programmer - a White national who was very, very inimical to me. Once my boss wanted to attend some other meeting with him and he just walked 10 steps ahead of me, did not speak a word and behaved that way all through the meeting. And then when I was away for 1 month India trip upon returning he complained that a batch program abended because of me! He was way too hostile to interact with always and gave me problem on every front. When I complained about him to my boss, he just totally disregarded my request to change my place so as not to sit next to him. I felt so offended (as I worked really hard and had a good name), so I quit that job and joined another one. Even to this day, I feel that my boss did not take action against the other fellow as he was White. Even my boss's boss used to be kinda racist. He once asked me whether all my family in India thought me to a 'rich American'. I don't know what he meant by that but I did not like the question. So things like that...

Namaste Prasadji,

The director thing is told by my hubby - he noticed this preference over other White candidates from his bosses when he was considered promotion into the 'Director' post.

By the way, at the outset of my career, there was a fellow programmer - a White national who was very, very inimical to me. Once my boss wanted to attend some other meeting with him and he just walked 10 steps ahead of me, did not speak a word and behaved that way all through the meeting. And then when I was away for 1 month India trip upon returning he complained that a batch program abended because of me! He was way too hostile to interact with always and gave me problem on every front. When I complained about him to my boss, he just totally disregarded my request to change my place so as not to sit next to him. I felt so offended (as I worked really hard and had a good name), so I quit that job and joined another one. Even to this day, I feel that my boss did not take action against the other fellow as he was White. Even my boss's boss used to be kinda racist. He once asked me whether all my family in India thought me to a 'rich American'. I don't know what he meant by that but I did not like the question. So things like that...
Please do not get me wrong, I did not imply that there is no racial discrimination here or any other part of the world. We are successful in spite of the discriminations. What I was writing is that there are various kinds of discrimination that happens in this world. The whole evolution theory is based on discrimination (which may or may not be good), the survival of the fittest.

We all have biases, and the other party may suffer because of it.

Please do not get me wrong, I did not imply that there is no racial discrimination here or any other part of the world. We are successful in spite of the discriminations. What I was writing is that there are various kinds of discrimination that happens in this world. The whole evolution theory is based on discrimination (which may or may not be good), the survival of the fittest.

We all have biases, and the other party may suffer because of it.

Very true, well said!

I dont think its a hang over of colonial rule.

Its just the mindset of many Indians.

In South of India I think its even more biased becos its ok for a guy to be dark but girl has to be fair!LOL

I remember hearing a Hindi Bhajan once that went 'Yashomati Maiya Se Bole Nandalala Radha Kyon Gori Main Kyon Kala"

I was wondering when on earth did Krishna ever complain that He is dark?

I guess its not easy for some fair skinned people to accept a dark skinned God and made Krishna too have a color complex!LOL

So what is the pupose of discrimination , more fun and more psychology research?

APOLOGIES FOR THIS COMMENT, NOT INTENDED TO WOUND OR HURT ANYONE..

Last edited:
So what is the pupose of discrimination , more fun and more psychology research?

Its personal preferences..becos the human mind needs polarity to exert its influence. The human mind wants things either black or white..Its seldom comfortable with areas of grey.

Even in religion there is over emphasis on good vs evil..very few can be comfortable with accepting both as a shades in the same spectrum.

Thanks, btw discrimination is legal term where harm is intended.

It is a projection of the ego. Many do it because they simply feel superior about a certain assets of theirs and want to downplay on others who do not have it, as it gratifies the ego. Some do it because they are 'jealous' and see it as a way out to vent their frustrations.

I tend to agree with JRji in this .

Mostly to satisfy their ego some would like to project themselves as superior to others even if they are not. this type of boost is a requirement for some to survive

though it is at the cost of those belittled in the process of this type of weird satisfaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back