• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The only way India can change is if we change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

And quiet flows the Ganges...and the Yamuna
By Suhel Seth, Mumbai Mirror | Nov 2, 2014, 02.59 AM IST

And quiet flows the Ganges...and the Yamuna - Mumbai Mirror

It might seem odd to many that we, as a nation, have grappled with the cleaning of the Ganges. Or, for that matter, any of our other rivers; our streets; our temples; our mosques and so on. Filth is something we have come to terms with. We don't care about littering the streets as long as the cigarette butt is not in our car; we don't care about spitting: in fact, we are the world's greatest spitters. The elite will roll down their car windows with as much grace as will the truck driver. Most homes will try and do their best to remain clean but right outside there will be the usual litter and no one will care.

The genesis of this attitude lies far deeper. We are scared of two things: responsibility and accountability. If something goes wrong, we are the first to pass the monkey onto another shoulder. No one in this country will ever take responsibility. Current governments will always blame the previous ones. Current editors will talk about the malaise that had set in owing to an earlier incumbent. If we could, we would begin to blame the epics for our present misery. We love the credit. We love exposing the warts in our society but hate to take responsibility. If your ward doesn't do well, you will never accept your fault. You will blame it on the school or the teachers or the government. There is this enduring habit of the 'I am never at fault' syndrome that has afflicted India. Add to that our general subservience to those in power. Did it take a Narendra Modi to inspire an army of celebrities to take to the broom? If in normal circumstances you had asked them to clean the streets, albeit symbolically, you would have been presented with an endorsement bill. Now that it is no less than Modi who has asked you, you will do it for the nation. The truth is, and I know it sounds bitter, we rarely do anything in today's times for the nation. Rarely. We do it either for personal gain or for advancing an agenda. I am not the kind who will give brownie points to all those who heeded the PM's call and then wielded the broom. What about the follow up? Will one photo op be enough?

We don't need Twitter movements to clean India. We need an inner awakening and, the sad bit is, we've kind of lost that. Let's be honest and hold a mirror to ourselves. As long as self-preservation is paramount in our lives, we will lean on tokenism and not bring about real change. I am not for a moment being cynical about the Swach Bharat campaign: I am just being realistic about our latent hypocrisy and our unwillingness to tackle things with a sense of permanence. Narendra Modi cannot change India. And knowing the kind of people we are, we will expect him to do everything so that we can sit back and gloat about the changing winds. The truth is that Modi can only help flag the issues. It is we, both, individually and collectively, who will need to bring about that change for good and for the long term.

The idiom of who we are and how we are brought up will need to change. We will need to believe in the change rather than believe in Narendra Modi alone. He can be the spark but can never be the fire that will extinguish the past filled with misdemeanours. We cannot afford to turn the Prime Minister into a moral science teacher or for that matter replace responsible parenting.

We cannot absolve ourselves of the roles we must play as responsible citizens and I am afraid we are yet again passing the buck. With the usual savoir faire that has become our birthmark.

The only way India can change is if we change. It is not one man's filth or one man's river. So how can it be only one man's mission?

we are a nation aspiring for change.

modi govt instead of performing is trying to divert our attention by talking about cleanliness and hindutva and yoga.we have elected them for economic change and

corruption free administration.

we do not want inspirational lectures .

thanks

Back to board and follow what one leader said. The water of artha and kama must flow bound by the banks of dharma and moksha. River within bounds is the lifeline for the nation.

If I name the leader one soul (my soul is different and independent) will explode with expletives.

Back to board and follow what one leader said. The water of artha and kama must flow bound by the banks of dharma and moksha. River within bounds is the lifeline for the nation.

If I name the leader one soul (my soul is different and independent) will explode with expletives.

The content of the OP does not appear to be connected to this RSS' (Golwalkar's) statement. What appears relevant to me is that we, as a nation, must change and learn to accept responsibility & accountability. Our millennia-old history has been one of divisiveness of various kinds. So, it is really impossible to change this "shirking responsibility" syndrome. The next generation is growing up along with all this divisiveness plus certain technological products and conveniences whose profits are reaped by the western countries and we are mere consumers.

Perhaps, the time has come now to put a stop to all this. But the difficulty is that the Modi government seems to be not concentrating on good, corruption-free governance, but trying to project Modi, the person, as some kind of an "avatar". That will help Modi, as long as he is able to continue in power, but it will not fetch any good for the country.

The govt. should first bring in concrete reforms that solves the everyday misery of the common man - chickungunya infected law & order, jaundiced justice, high flying corruption & pollution, shaky infrastructure, bottlenecks in utilities, a non-existent grievance redressel mechanism.

From rats to dogs to humans; once the standard of living is settled at a decent level, people would care to look around them, and listen to sagacious advices and lectures.

Ganga cleaning is a mammoth project that just will not start and stop with slogans and exclamations.

How does one change? He must first know and learn what is his dharma, learn it from his parents and surroundings, internalize it and put it into practice. Like - matru devo nhava, pitry devo bhavs, acharyadevo bhava, aram seya virumbu, aaruvathu sinam, ookamadu kaividel - and hundreds of such 'must do' principles. Children and grownups must be taught to learn and practice. Abdul kalam once advised kids to tell their parents not to take bribes; sound advice but himalayan responsibility on the children.

So dharmam chara, satyam vada are important oaths to be taken by the family.

Regarding corruption, there are several levels and types and each sector must be tackled differently. It is a big subject.

The content of the OP does not appear to be connected to this RSS' (Golwalkar's) statement. What appears relevant to me is that we, as a nation, must change and learn to accept responsibility & accountability. Our millennia-old history has been one of divisiveness of various kinds. So, it is really impossible to change this "shirking responsibility" syndrome. The next generation is growing up along with all this divisiveness plus certain technological products and conveniences whose profits are reaped by the western countries and we are mere consumers.

Perhaps, the time has come now to put a stop to all this. But the difficulty is that the Modi government seems to be not concentrating on good, corruption-free governance, but trying to project Modi, the person, as some kind of an "avatar". That will help Modi, as long as he is able to continue in power, but it will not fetch any good for the country.

How does one change? He must first know and learn what is his dharma, learn it from his parents and surroundings, internalize it and put it into practice. Like - matru devo nhava, pitry devo bhavs, acharyadevo bhava, aram seya virumbu, aaruvathu sinam, ookamadu kaividel - and hundreds of such 'must do' principles. Children and grownups must be taught to learn and practice.

OMG! Do we need to spoon fed for everything?

When will we have brains that function on its own and not be programmed by society?

What is so hard to have our own set of rules to follow?

Change is inevitable..none of us are good or bad becos our parents programmed us to be so..we humans eventually find our own way.

I am sure none of us are the same as we were... say 10 years ago?

Our thinking would have changed at least in some ways.

AUHji
Today after 10 days returned to my hometown delhi

Opened the tap to get clean good water from delhi jal board. I have not seen such cleanliness before in water.

somewhere there is a positive change.Accompanying the positive was negative news of trilokpuri stand off between two communities. they had been peacefully living

together until this new govt came to power.also 100 cr scam of delhi jal board got unearthed . they had charged 100 cr @800rs a household in resettlement colonies to

lay water pipes-both pipes and money not existing.where have we gone wrong?

until as you say, law and order ,corruption, and infrastrucure are fixed , utilities are made available to all at reasonable rates people will continue to suffer.

this govt. should move beyond the rhetoric and do something useful

AUHji
Today after 10 days returned to my hometown delhi

Opened the tap to get clean good water from delhi jal board. I have not seen such cleanliness before in water.

somewhere there is a positive change.Accompanying the positive was negative news of trilokpuri stand off between two communities. they had been peacefully living

together until this new govt came to power.also 100 cr scam of delhi jal board got unearthed . they had charged 100 cr @800rs a household in resettlement colonies to

lay water pipes-both pipes and money not existing.where have we gone wrong?

until as you say, law and order ,corruption, and infrastrucure are fixed , utilities are made available to all at reasonable rates people will continue to suffer.

this govt. should move beyond the rhetoric and do something useful

I agree with the highlighted portion above.

Civic sense is something that has to be inculcated in the minds of young children, adolescents, and even adults will have to be told to behave in a civic way and the law should be such that violation of the civic requirements are punished in exemplary manner. This civic sense cannot be taught by making people learn by rote, advices like Matrudevo Bhava, Pitrudevo Bhava, etc.

The crux of the matter is that our very glorious Bharata did not have any scripture or text dealing with public hygiene, civic cleanliness, etc. While we (the three higher castes, emphasized personal cleanliness and hygiene, we lacked a civic sense after the Indus Valley Civilization. Today, however, there are two major reasons why we just cannot aim for the western standards of cleanliness; the first is our population, and the second, our villages have to be shown how they can become clean. For this what we require is not slogan, but solid work among our poor villagers.

Arms meant for delivery in Trilokpuri seized

The seizure of two pistols and live rounds from two men who were supposed to deliver them to someone in violence-hit Trilokpuri today, raised concerns that anti-social elements are still at work in the locality which is slowly limping toward normalcy.

According to police, Amit Kumar Singh (33) and Satendra Dabas (29), residents of Meerut, were nabbed by the east Delhi Police from near New Ashok Nagar Metro station and two pistols and 10 live rounds were recovered from their possession. "We were keeping a tight vigil to track suspicious activities in east Delhi following what had happened in Trilokpuri. We had received a tip off about arms being carried in a Swift car. When our team signalled them to stop, they tried to flee but we intercepted them," said a police official.
Arms meant for delivery in Trilokpuri seized | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back