• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Swathi nakshatra question

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWATI ( meaning "very beneficent") is the Hindu name for a star called ARCTURUS (ALPHA-BOOTIS), which is the fourth brightest among the stars in the night sky.
SWATI is among the few nakshatras which are represented by a single star in the zodiac. It is one of the most luminous stars in the Sun's neighborhood. Ancient Vedic seers saw it as the abode of SARASWATI. Its main deity is VAYU, the god of wind. All of Vayu's qualities are inherited by his son HANUMAN. In astrology, SATURN reaches maximum exaltation in Swati.
According to Varahamihira, those with Moon in Swati are "pleasant in speech, have a self controlled nature and compassionate ways".

attachment.php

Attachments

• Arcturus-swati.jpg
    Arcturus-swati.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Arcturus-swati.jpg
    Arcturus-swati.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,126
Last edited:
The three asterisms Ardra (Tiruvathirai), Swathi and Satabhishag (Chathayam) are governed by the Lunar node (considered as a malevolent Graha in Indian astrology) Rahu. So, people born in these three nakshatras experience Rahu's dasa at birth, according to the Vimshottaree Dasaa System. Rahu is considered generally inauspicious for humans; it makes them non-conformists, deviating from good practices and eventually laying the base for evil Karmas and results thereof.

I feel our Scripture-writers must have had some esoteric reason for saying that Sri Lakshmi Narasimhar, Saraswathi devi and Garuda bhagawan were born in this Nakshatra, but that esoteric reason may not be applicable to ordinary humans.

In my experience I have found people born in Swathi are generally attracted towards beauty, the arts and similar things; they are very clever speakers and may even appear hypocritical, at times, to an innocent observer. Generally their longevity is rationed, that is to say, if long life is otherwise indicated also their end will come at an early opportunity within the Deerghayus period.

hi

i have 2 swati nakshatra persons in my home...my mother and my wife...both are swati nakashtra...

im very familiar with this nakshatra very much....

Dear Naina_Marbus ji and Shri Sangom ji,

Thank you very much for clarifying about Swathi nakshatra. It appears that this nakshatra has something to do with POWER since Vayu represents ultimate power. Perhaps this nakshatra is an example of how to practice restraint when in power, as Saturn the planet who is embodiment of restraints is exalted here. What you both wrote made me think along these lines. I will keep an eye out for further information on this nakshatra as to why certain deities as listed in the OP chose this nakshatra for avatara. Thanks again for your help.

Dear Naina_Marbus ji and Shri Sangom ji,

Thank you very much for clarifying about Swathi nakshatra. It appears that this nakshatra has something to do with POWER since Vayu represents ultimate power. Perhaps this nakshatra is an example of how to practice restraint when in power, as Saturn the planet who is embodiment of restraints is exalted here. What you both wrote made me think along these lines. I will keep an eye out for further information on this nakshatra as to why certain deities as listed in the OP chose this nakshatra for avatara. Thanks again for your help.

Smt. JR,

Saturn is not "embodiment of restraints". Saturn is a very merciless master/despot when the need arises, as per the horoscope, and, in some other instances Saturn can be a boundless giver, benefactor as well. But whatever Saturn gives, even if niggardly, will be ultimately for the "Sreyas" of the person as different from one's "preyas" - things which one likes, but need not be beneficial, like alcohol, say!

All the 27 asterisms (nakshatras) are alike; the good, bad, worse, worst classifications are mere conventions, imo. For instance, I remember our elders postponing a journey (from central Kerala to Nagercoil) for months because a suitable not-inauspicious day could not be found in the intervening period! The belief in the astrological do's & don'ts was so great then, some 60 years ago. But today people travel to other continents without even looking at the almanac!

As I have said many times earlier also in this forum, astrology and horoscope are only like road signs or indicators. For example if an idiot were to look at a wall clock and conclude that the clock's needles are so powerful that when the short needle passes 6 and the long needle crosses 12, most people wake up and therefore come to the learned conclusion that these two needles have their own intrinsic powers, qualities, personalities, etc., how will we rate that? Hence, the true and correct way to approach astrology is to see the movements of the so-called planets (including Rahu & Ketu - which were absent in Varahamihira's system) as like clock needles indicating the flow of time and what may be expected when the needles are in a particular configuration.

If you take vedic practices, anuraadhaa seems to be the most sought after nakshatra, since every homa commences with the lines —

ऊँ ऋद्धास्म हव्यैर्नमसोपसद्य ।...अनूराधान् हविषा वर्धयन्तः । शतं जीवेम शरदः सवीराः। which form the first half of the Ashtavaakya for the star.

Thank you for the clarification, Shri Sangom ji.

I have my Jupiter placed in 10th house (Kumba lagna) in anuradha nakshatra, with Saturn opposing him in Sama-sapthaka from 4th house. To my great displeasure, I have noticed that such a configuration has only yielded me very gradual rise in profession, lots of impediments to success and a pay which is noncompetitive with what other SWE with same background as me earned.

But they say the whole horoscope has to be examined. I agree with this too.

Interesting to know every homas commence using Anuradha nakshatra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back