• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temple priest smashes 8-year-old Dalit boy's head for prasadam

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

[h=1]Temple priest smashes 8-year-old Dalit boy's head for prasadam[/h]DC | Bellie Thomas | October 21, 2014, 02.10 am IST

Santosh_head_smashed_on%20_pillar_by_temple_priest_0.jpg
Dalit boy Santosh in hospital after a temple priest smashed his head against a pillar

Bengaluru: If you’re hungry and a Dalit, don’t go to a temple to eat free prasadam, or you might get beaten to within an inch of your life! At least that’s what eight year old Santosh discovered when he went to Rudreshwara Swami Temple on Bazaar road in the city, where prasadam was being distributed.
At the sight of the boy, the angry priest bashed the little boy’s head repeatedly against a pillar in the temple, causing him to bleed. The priest suspected that the boy was a thief.
Bhaskar Prasad, a Dalit Sangharsh Samiti (DSS) leader however says that the boy was targeted because his parents were cobblers by profession and belonged to the scheduled caste. “Why would an 8-year-old boy go to a temple on a Sunday morning if it was not for prasadam.
He was a poor boy and hungry,” Bhaskar told Deccan Chronicle. Not surprisingly, police at Nelamangala town police station on Monday morning refused to register a complaint. Santosh’s father Sakabettaiah’s thumb impression was taken on a blank piece of paper! Police denied they had even entertained such a complaint.
Justice? Not by a long chalk.

Very sad incidence. What were the other temple devotees were doing? If others did not raise their voice against such practice they too are guilty. Too long we have put up with injustice, it must stop.

Temple priest smashes 8-year-old Dalit boy's head for prasadam

DC | Bellie Thomas | October 21, 2014, 02.10 am IST

Santosh_head_smashed_on%20_pillar_by_temple_priest_0.jpg
Dalit boy Santosh in hospital after a temple priest smashed his head against a pillar

Bengaluru: If you’re hungry and a Dalit, don’t go to a temple to eat free prasadam, or you might get beaten to within an inch of your life! At least that’s what eight year old Santosh discovered when he went to Rudreshwara Swami Temple on Bazaar road in the city, where prasadam was being distributed.
At the sight of the boy, the angry priest bashed the little boy’s head repeatedly against a pillar in the temple, causing him to bleed. The priest suspected that the boy was a thief.
Bhaskar Prasad, a Dalit Sangharsh Samiti (DSS) leader however says that the boy was targeted because his parents were cobblers by profession and belonged to the scheduled caste. “Why would an 8-year-old boy go to a temple on a Sunday morning if it was not for prasadam.
He was a poor boy and hungry,” Bhaskar told Deccan Chronicle. Not surprisingly, police at Nelamangala town police station on Monday morning refused to register a complaint. Santosh’s father Sakabettaiah’s thumb impression was taken on a blank piece of paper! Police denied they had even entertained such a complaint.
Justice? Not by a long chalk.

I have seen many times here people swearing that the lower castes are troubled not by brahmins but by the intermediate castes. I suppose this priest also was not a brahmin.

Whoever he may be, some online petition to the PM should go, I feel.

I have seen many times here people swearing that the lower castes are troubled not by brahmins but by the intermediate castes. I suppose this priest also was not a brahmin.

Whoever he may be, some online petition to the PM should go, I feel.
here here, I will support such a petition. The priest should be punished.

because the govt. is congress, and the cm is an atheist. imagine how the sodalog will be popping up and down if hindutva friendly govt was in place.

such instances of pushing, pulling and controlled violence is common in many places, especially in areas where free food or articles are given; when demand is more than supply, and some try to advance, some hit and bash is inevitable; recently, when a popular telugu actor politician broke queue to vote in the loksabha election, the waiting orderly public came close to beating him. again this type of news is just syndicating news without verification.

anyway hitting, kutting and slapping is not uncommon; only yesterday, in popular restaurant in chennai, an indulgent father gave sharp slap to his son for not eating what was ordered, to the bemused look of customers and staff.

I wonder why the police did not want to register a complaint?

Version 1:
Santosh's friend, Chetan Kumar (12), who was also chased away by the priest, said, "He asked us where we were from. He asked us to leave the moment we told him we are from Jayanagar (Dalit colony). But Santosh was adamant and started arguing with him. We ran away, the moment Santosh was hit."

Version 2:
New Delhi, Oct 24 (ANI): A seven-year-old dalit boy on Monday was allegedly brutally thrashed by a priest after he entered the sanctum sanctorum of a temple on Bangalore's outskirts. Meanwhile, politicos reacting over the incident on Friday condemned the act of priest and said that stern action should be against him. BJP leader Nalin Kohli said that stern action should be taken against the accused and said that the act can never be a part of civilized society. NCP leader Tariq Anwar and JD (U) leader Ali Anwar also expressed same sentiments.

Version 1:
Santosh's friend, Chetan Kumar (12), who was also chased away by the priest, said, "He asked us where we were from. He asked us to leave the moment we told him we are from Jayanagar (Dalit colony). But Santosh was adamant and started arguing with him. We ran away, the moment Santosh was hit."

Version 2:
New Delhi, Oct 24 (ANI): A seven-year-old dalit boy on Monday was allegedly brutally thrashed by a priest after he entered the sanctum sanctorum of a temple on Bangalore's outskirts. Meanwhile, politicos reacting over the incident on Friday condemned the act of priest and said that stern action should be against him. BJP leader Nalin Kohli said that stern action should be taken against the accused and said that the act can never be a part of civilized society. NCP leader Tariq Anwar and JD (U) leader Ali Anwar also expressed same sentiments.

Whatever said and done..its a criminal act to bash a child's head against the wall.

The child wanted the prasadam..and I guess he found no valid reason to run away just becos he is a Dalit and the children spoke the truth when asked where they were from.

This child is a brave child and he was just being a kid..we all know how kids are when they are hungry...I hope he gets justice so that this will not happen again.

Last edited:
hitting and causing injury is a criminal act and punishable. no dispute. ethics of reporting and imputing motives is the issue. I expect the boys and his friends visited the temple often and have received prasadam in the past. in cities it is impossible to identify a dalit unless he claims I am one!

hitting and causing injury is a criminal act and punishable. no dispute. ethics of reporting and imputing motives is the issue. I expect the boys and his friends visited the temple often and have received prasadam in the past. in cities it is impossible to identify a dalit unless he claims I am one!

So the question is..why did the priest ask where the boys were from and chase them away just becos they were Dalits and then bash the head of this child.

So this proofs he had an intention to chase them away and refuse giving them prasadam and there is a prejucided based motive to cause injury.

This is enough to nab him. There is strong motive and intention. If the priest is a Brahmin he can plead he is innocent by citing Manu Smriti!LOL

BTW why does anyone need to know who is who when it comes to giving prasadam?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back