• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avani avittam in Aadi month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the festivals (barring pongal/sankaranti and Tamil New Year) are celbrated according to Lunar Calendar. Tamil months follow Solar Calendar system (have fixed number of days each month). The rule for the Upakarma day is
Yajur upakarma is held on the full-moon day that comes before the new-moon day of the month of Sravana (Avani). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upakarma

The new moon in Avani is on Aug 25th, Next New moon (24rd September) is not in Avani (ஆவணி )but in purattAsi புரட்டாசி. Hence the reason for celebrating it today

hi

genrally yajur upakarma conducts SRAVANA POORNUMA DAY...ITS CALLED SRAVANI TOO...so it comes sometimes in AADI

MAASAM...SOMETIMES AAVANI MASAM TOO....SOME TIMES IT COMES ON AVITTAM STAR...SOMETIMES THIRUVONAM TOO...

ITS CALLED SRAVANA NAKASHATRA...

It is common among Tamil speaking people, to refer to the month by the solar month followed, As Chittirai, vaikasi etc, names evolved by observing the full moon day in the month and the star in which full moon occurs. Similarly the lunar months are alsonamed after the star in which full moon occurs. There is a slight difference in such observations:

3rd month Aani (anooraadha/anusham) -Jyeshtha (Jyeshthaa-kettai)

The Northern lunar month ends on full moon and the Southern lunar month ends on Amavasya. Thus, there is a difference of a fortnight, between the two systems. But the bright fortnight (shukla paksha is common to both and thus the month will be the same.

For followers of solar system, the lunar months may coincide with corresponding serial numbered solar month sometimes.. So Upakarma day fixed as "shraavaNa shukla pourNamaasya" is on the lunar month of shraavana, (the 5th month), full moon day. Corresponding 5th month is AAvaNi, so the generic usage of the name of that month for this festival.

Also, it was observed by Tamil astronomers that even though the 5th month AavaNi, a Tamil version of ShraavaNi, has full moon day on shravana nakshatra,TiruvoNam, in several years it occurred on the next star, Dhanishthaa-shravishthaa-avittam. Hence some opined that the full moon day should be referred to occur on Avittam. thus the colloquial usage as aavaNi Avittam has come into usage.

The sankalpa, in Sanskrit calls it as Adhyaaya Upaakarma. the declaration made therein is 'shraavaNyaam pourNamaasyaayaam'. So, there is no reference either to the solar month of AavaNi or the star tiruvoNam/avittam. However, whatever star whether it is Uttaraashaadha (UttiraaDam), shravaNa (tiruvonam) or dhanishtaa-shravishtaa-avittam, it is also stated to identify the actual day of performance.

Additional information:
Yajurvedis give preference to the actual scheduled time of performance of Upakarma, that is Maadhyaanhika kaala, noon time, when mahaa sankalpam and maadhyaanhika snaanam, maadhyaanhikam, and brahma yajnam with deva-rishi tarpaNam are to be performed, after which only Upaakarma can commence. At this time the PourNami tithi should have commenced.

Rigvedis give preference to Tiruvonam star and pournami tithi or at least one of the two at the time of sunrise.
For Saama vedis, it is on or a day preceding the Ganesh Chaturthi day. There are no Atharva Vedis, presently known to exist in India.

In Tamilnadu, every rite is performed according to the time prescribed. The question, what is the tithi or nakshatra today, can not be answered because 'day' is about 24 hours from sunrise to sunrise or midnight to midnight(English) and is solar, whereas tithi and nakshatra are lunar. Between sunrise and sunrise, there can be three tithis or three nakshatras even. So the question if asked should what is the tithi or nakshatra NOW and not today. Upakarma is Maadhyaahna, 1048 hours, Amavasya and shraaddha are with reference to aparaahna, 1314hours, pradosham on Trayodashi at 1715 to 1845 hours, sankata hara chaturthi at 1800 hours, Ramnavami at 1200 hours Janmashtami at 2400 hours, mahashivaratri on Maagha Krishna Chaturdashi, with reference to dusk to dawn raatrimaana, ,the rest of the above, with +/- sunrise difference from mean 0600 hours.

Answer: AavaNi avittam is a colloquial usage to just name the festival and does not identify the day as it is Not linked to solar calendar.

Source: Yahoo Answers

https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120731180216AAjYPoR

We consider the full moon day that follows Adi amAvAsai, to perform yajur upAkarmA.

Some years this day will be in Adi month and some other years in AvaNi!

So, the correct name of the function is 'Yajur upAkarmA'.:)

In Tirunellayi village in Kerala, full moon day in AvaNi month is the day for upAkarmA.

(Is it not TBS Sir?)

Last edited:
It is common among Tamil speaking people, to refer to the month by the solar month followed, As Chittirai, vaikasi etc, names evolved by observing the full moon day in the month and the star in which full moon occurs. Similarly the lunar months are alsonamed after the star in which full moon occurs. There is a slight difference in such observations:

3rd month Aani (anooraadha/anusham) -Jyeshtha (Jyeshthaa-kettai)

The Northern lunar month ends on full moon and the Southern lunar month ends on Amavasya. Thus, there is a difference of a fortnight, between the two systems. But the bright fortnight (shukla paksha is common to both and thus the month will be the same.

For followers of solar system, the lunar months may coincide with corresponding serial numbered solar month sometimes.. So Upakarma day fixed as "shraavaNa shukla pourNamaasya" is on the lunar month of shraavana, (the 5th month), full moon day. Corresponding 5th month is AAvaNi, so the generic usage of the name of that month for this festival.

Also, it was observed by Tamil astronomers that even though the 5th month AavaNi, a Tamil version of ShraavaNi, has full moon day on shravana nakshatra,TiruvoNam, in several years it occurred on the next star, Dhanishthaa-shravishthaa-avittam. Hence some opined that the full moon day should be referred to occur on Avittam. thus the colloquial usage as aavaNi Avittam has come into usage.

The sankalpa, in Sanskrit calls it as Adhyaaya Upaakarma. the declaration made therein is 'shraavaNyaam pourNamaasyaayaam'. So, there is no reference either to the solar month of AavaNi or the star tiruvoNam/avittam. However, whatever star whether it is Uttaraashaadha (UttiraaDam), shravaNa (tiruvonam) or dhanishtaa-shravishtaa-avittam, it is also stated to identify the actual day of performance.

Additional information:
Yajurvedis give preference to the actual scheduled time of performance of Upakarma, that is Maadhyaanhika kaala, noon time, when mahaa sankalpam and maadhyaanhika snaanam, maadhyaanhikam, and brahma yajnam with deva-rishi tarpaNam are to be performed, after which only Upaakarma can commence. At this time the PourNami tithi should have commenced.

Rigvedis give preference to Tiruvonam star and pournami tithi or at least one of the two at the time of sunrise.
For Saama vedis, it is on or a day preceding the Ganesh Chaturthi day. There are no Atharva Vedis, presently known to exist in India.

In Tamilnadu, every rite is performed according to the time prescribed. The question, what is the tithi or nakshatra today, can not be answered because 'day' is about 24 hours from sunrise to sunrise or midnight to midnight(English) and is solar, whereas tithi and nakshatra are lunar. Between sunrise and sunrise, there can be three tithis or three nakshatras even. So the question if asked should what is the tithi or nakshatra NOW and not today. Upakarma is Maadhyaahna, 1048 hours, Amavasya and shraaddha are with reference to aparaahna, 1314hours, pradosham on Trayodashi at 1715 to 1845 hours, sankata hara chaturthi at 1800 hours, Ramnavami at 1200 hours Janmashtami at 2400 hours, mahashivaratri on Maagha Krishna Chaturdashi, with reference to dusk to dawn raatrimaana, ,the rest of the above, with +/- sunrise difference from mean 0600 hours.

Answer: AavaNi avittam is a colloquial usage to just name the festival and does not identify the day as it is Not linked to solar calendar.

Source: Yahoo Answers

https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120731180216AAjYPoR

Dear PJ Sir,
I don’t have words to describe your crystal clear illustration about the Rig and Yajur Upakarmas as it has thrown useful insights besides serves as a beacon about the same. Your write up has unambiguously unraveled the doubts in this respect unequivocally. I admired your unfettered thought in our vedic system to be preserved for the information and usage of youngsters. Hats off to you.

Dear Dhikshita Sir,

P J Sir has given the source as 'Yahoo answers' and the writer is
kcsadvocate!

''About kcsadvocate: Born & brought up in a deeply religious atmosphere of a temple town, became a teacher,

turned out to be a banker, a trade unionist, hymn singer, and finally a lawyer. As a participant in JP's movement,

a keen observer of politico-social issues.''

Source:
kcsadvocate

Dear Sri Dhakshita Sir

As Raji Madam has rightly pointed out, i have only copied an answer given by kpsadvocate in Yahoo answer; the credit goes to him only.

Thanks for your appreciation of his answer.

Dear Dhikshita Sir,

P J Sir has given the source as 'Yahoo answers' and the writer is
kcsadvocate!

''About kcsadvocate: Born & brought up in a deeply religious atmosphere of a temple town, became a teacher,

turned out to be a banker, a trade unionist, hymn singer, and finally a lawyer. As a participant in JP's movement,

a keen observer of politico-social issues.''

Source:
kcsadvocate

Interesting profile...Communist cum astrologer cum hymn singer rolled into one..Any guess on who this person could be?

You are so cool, P J Sir. I thought my answer might upset you a little bit! :)

Why should i get upset when i got the answer from some other source?

only thing is that I made a search for an apt answer for the question and the questioner is satisfied with that.

We consider the full moon day that follows Adi amAvAsai, to perform yajur upAkarmA.

Some years this day will be in Adi month and some other years in AvaNi!

So, the correct name of the function is 'Yajur upAkarmA'.:)

In Tirunellayi village in Kerala, full moon day in AvaNi month is the day for upAkarmA.

(Is it not TBS Sir?)
hi

yes madam...thirunellayi generally samavedins... i dont know now...my great grand parents were from that village....

........... yes madam...thirunellayi generally samavedins... i dont know now...my great grand parents were from that village....
My brother in law is from that village but says they are yajurvedins and have upAkarmA only on avittam star in AvaNi.

I think samavedins have it along with Vinayaka chathurthi! This year it is on 29th August.

My brother in law is from that village but says they are yajurvedins and have upAkarmA only on avittam star in AvaNi.

I think samavedins have it along with Vinayaka chathurthi! This year it is on 29th August.
hi

palakkad villages are typical brahmins....they never follow kanchipuram/sringeri mutt panchangam...they follow their own...

they are not followers of any particular mutt....they are very peculiar in the brahmin system....

For Rg Vedis it has to be 'Thiruvoonam" and Full Moon and Yajur Vedis it has to be Avittam about Full Moon. In Avani these occur not perfectly well. And again Mahaalaya starts immediately. So the learned might have preferred the Aadi's placement to Aavani's. Some Rg people are preferring the later one. Once in a while such confusions occur.

Yajur Upakarma comes on Shravana Poornima day only. It is not possible for the Avittam star to coincide with this day every year.
Aavani being a distorion of Shravani and the Solar/ Lunar calender difference is an important reason for Aadi/ Aavani mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back