• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to make curd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRAHMACHARI

Whenever I ask someone this question, 'How to make curd?' pat comes the reply, add some curd to milk, it will ferment and become curd the next day.

What if there is no curd at all at home? What if I cannot borrow some curd from neighbours either?

How did the person who made curd for the first time ever in the world, make curd without curd?

Could some one help please?

One needs the right bacteria, and the way to get it is through another yogurt. A kind of mother-child situation. If one does not want it "adulterated" with commerce, find someone who makes yogurt at home. failing that you can start with purchased yogurt (with active culture).

I read in internet
My mother-in-law from India taught me how to make yogurt without a starter.. use a small tamarind (u can get dried at Indian store) and a dried red chili in only a small amount of boiled milk. You let that set, then use that for the starter of the next batch. Repeat steps of boiling small amount of milk and using the new set "starter" until the yogurt smells correctly (about 4-5 times).
I have never tried this method.

Making yogurt without using commercial yogurt or starter - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Curd gets spoiled if sour milk is used for preparation. If no other good curd is available, yeast will be a good replacement

to set the next bowl of curd!

How did the person who made curd for the first time ever in the world, make curd without curd?

icon3.png
Probably some sour stuff must have accidentally fallen into a cup of milk, which became the first curd!

But, here is an interesting story from this source: How was curd first prepared? - The Times of India

''How was curd first prepared?

According to a popular legend, while travelling across a desert, some Turks kept milk in a goatskin bag and

slung it across the back of a camel. On opening the bag a few hours later, they found that it had been transformed

into a thick, tangy custard. The desert sun and the bacteria in the bag had enabled preparation of curd.

— Ankush Jain, Delhi''

Take a glass of milk. Boil it without adding water and then allow it to cool to room temperature. Add a drop or two of lime juice and leave it for the night. Next morning you will have curd. Use this curd for making the next glass full of curd and repeat a few times untill you get the right taste and flavour.

Temperature plays a crucial role.

If the curd is prepared in mud pot the end product will be at the right consistency-not very loose.

After the curd is made it can be kept in the fridge and thus the effect of mud pot can be substituted by fridge.

Try it.

Curd gets spoiled if sour milk is used for preparation. If no other good curd is available, yeast will be a good replacement

to set the next bowl of curd!

icon3.png
Probably some sour stuff must have accidentally fallen into a cup of milk, which became the first curd!

But, here is an interesting story from this source: How was curd first prepared? - The Times of India

''How was curd first prepared?

According to a popular legend, while travelling across a desert, some Turks kept milk in a goatskin bag and

slung it across the back of a camel. On opening the bag a few hours later, they found that it had been transformed

into a thick, tangy custard. The desert sun and the bacteria in the bag had enabled preparation of curd.

— Ankush Jain, Delhi''

hi

i thought the same........IDEA MAAMI ADVISE ALWAYS GOOD....without smt RR madam's contribution..this thread will go waste...

Rajiji,
I did read it on an internet site, but did not want to post in in Brahmin site? LOL

... i thought the same........IDEA MAAMI ADVISE ALWAYS GOOD....without smt RR madam's contribution..this thread will go waste...
Dear TBS Sir,
As I always write, 'thangaL ookkam, endhan Akkam'!! :popcorn:

I shall try the 'tamarind test' and let you know in a couple of days. :)

OMG! The 'tamarind test' was a total disaster!

The curd turned out to be 'umbrella and water' - (kudaiyum thaNNiyum)

Half a glass of milk went down the drain! :(

hi madam,

ha ha.....u can make a panner instead of putting in drain...

According to the site, you need to use this umbrella water as starter nexrt time, you must do it 4-5 times then only you get real curd.

According to the site, you need to use this umbrella water as starter nexrt time, you must do it 4-5 times then only you get real curd.
We never use the 'umbrella - water' curd as a starter. The next batch will be also similar!

May be, the 'puLi paste' of U S of A will work better!

Anyway, I wish to try citric acid soon and shall post the result.

One needs the right bacteria, and the way to get it is through another yogurt. A kind of mother-child situation. If one does not want it "adulterated" with commerce, find someone who makes yogurt at home. failing that you can start with purchased yogurt (with active culture).

I read in internet
My mother-in-law from India taught me how to make yogurt without a starter.. use a small tamarind (u can get dried at Indian store) and a dried red chili in only a small amount of boiled milk. You let that set, then use that for the starter of the next batch. Repeat steps of boiling small amount of milk and using the new set "starter" until the yogurt smells correctly (about 4-5 times).
I have never tried this method.

Making yogurt without using commercial yogurt or starter - Home Cooking - Chowhound

I have seen my mother make curd using the tamarind method..It works well..but no red chilli used.

We just need something acidic to curdle the milk for lactobacillus to thrive.

Whenever I ask someone this question, 'How to make curd?' pat comes the reply, add some curd to milk, it will ferment and become curd the next day.

What if there is no curd at all at home? What if I cannot borrow some curd from neighbours either?

Could some one help please?

Namaskar.

Curds doubtless can be made with many types of milk, but here we shall speak about cow milk, and as an addendum, briefly describe KEFIR, a product as beneficial as yoghurt and more easily digestible by some.

Yoghurt can be prepared by several types of cultures of Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptomyces spp. and many others, each of which imparts some specific properties. Swiss yoghurt is prepared to have a slightly mucilaginous [slimy] texture, whereas we Indians like crisp, clean firm curds. South Indian yoghurt is slightly different in taste than North Indian, and that from Bengal, even the plain forms. Indeed, the CFTRI, Mysore, offers 2 starter cultures in dry, packages forms, one called South Indian, the other, North Indian yoghurt starter culture. These create the best Indian-style yoghurts.

It is difficult to keep a starter culture going for long in the exact original form, because natural changes occur in the bacterial populations. However, it is possible to find excellent organic yoghurts in the USA, often made by local dairies, from which one can take a new start.

That said, yoghurt is created by bacteria that are thermophilic, i.e. heat-loving. Other fermented milks proceed at lower temperatures, but the milk for yoghurt need to be brought to a boil. There is a custom in parts of the Northern plains to bring to a frothing boil about 3 times, and then place it in an earthen or other appropriate vessel. While cooling, the surface is sort of whipped with a fork to raise a tiny froth, before the full cooling is allowed. Perhaps this prevents the formation of the skin on cow's milk, which is treasured for making butter otherwise. I do not know, but it is frequently done to buffalo milk, which lacks some of the kappa proteins cow milk has.

Cooling is a relative term. Yoghurt bacteria thrive best at a steady temperature of 110-112 Fahrenheit. If we innoculate the milk with a small quantity of culture at exactly this temperature and pour this into a wide-mouthed insulated steel bottle nowadays conveniently sold by Japanese and Taiwanese vendors, it will keep the milk at the desired temperature and the yoghurt will set in a few hours. The longer we keep it at the fermentation temperature, the tarter it will become. When we refrigerate it, fermentation will slow, but not stop.

Homemade yoghurt is not as thick as commercial brands that contain various additives. By hanging it in a fine cloth bag, or fine plastic mesh strainer, we get hung yoghurt or labneh, useful for many purposes. Full-fat milk, 3.5% butterfat will give a richer yoghurt than 2%, 1%, or skim milk. These latter can be enriched with non-fat dry milk powder, to increase the amount of milk solids and ensure a thicker curd. Your reaction to the taste will depend on many factors!!

You can purchase yoghurt cultures of different types online or find them in health food places.

Kefir is a fermented milk made at mid-range temperatures, around 70-80F. The starter cultures can be purchased in a dry powder, which will produce Kefir for only a limited number of cycles, about 6.

Or, Kefir starter can be purchased as the hydrated or dehydrated MOTHER GRAINS, which are very complex assemblages of microbes that continue to produce kefir indefinitely, and need to be fed with milk to stay alive.

When the mother grains are purchased dehydrated, they come with instructions on how to very gradually hydrate them in milk over several days. After that, they become fully active. They are placed in a small jar of milk, for example, and kept in a warmish location overnight, covered with a clean, permeable top, e.g. paper coffee filter. After the appropriate time, the product is strained through a fine-mesh PLASTIC strainer, and the Kefir is refrigerated for a few hours to thicken. The remaining mother grains are placed in fresh milk and the cycle repeats.

This is a most delightful drink. You can use it to make smoothies, blend it with West Indian avocadoes for batidos, make banana-walnut smoothies, etc. My favorite food is plain low-fat kefir poured over converted rice, with flame-roasted black-pepper papads, and red chili Priya pickles! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back