• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Orthopraxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a term which is being used frequently now about brahmins especially smarta Brahmins.

It is Orthopraxy. I have seen it being spelt Orthoproxy also.

Orthopraxy means "correct action/activity", and applies to a religion that places emphasis on conduct, both ethical and liturgical, as opposed to faith, or grace etc. This contrasts with orthodoxy, emphasizing a correct belief, and ritualism, the use of rituals.

Someone said Orthopraxy concealed as Orthodoxy. I used to be sort of offended when the Tamil Brahmins are described as Orthodox. We are not orthodox. This word seems to describe us better. We are always talking more about Culture than religion.

Last edited:
That is a new word for me....!!!

or⋅tho⋅prax⋅y

–noun 1. correctness or orthodoxy of action or practice. 2. Medicine/Medical. orthopraxia.
Origin:
1850–55; ortho- + prax(is) + -y 3
thinsp.png

But surely, this emphasis arises out of orthodox beliefs and practices???

There is a book

Ritualizing on the Boundaries: Continuity And Innovation in the Tamil Diaspora (Studies in Comparative Religion) by Fred W. Clothey.

This book is about Tamil settlements in the cities of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Singapore; Mumbai, India; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I do not have the book. But I saw a preview here. It is an interesting read. Scroll up and see the article about Mumbai. He has used this term.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uRxAOJWnyEwC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=brahmins+and+orthopraxy&source=bl&ots=axbfTlZUpk&sig=9WNah6Rpyeu35qtYCmcOfLDUdLU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA108,M1

Fred W.Clothey is a brahmin.English Brahmin.Maybe Boston Brahmins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back