• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Death? - A life time preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to share a important incident from Rabbi Birnham's life.

When Rabbi Birnham lay dying
his wife burst into tears.
He said, "What are you crying for"
My whole life was only that I might learn how to die.

Learning to die is a key concept in any religion. Though this is given in a physical sense, the Rabbi did not mean the physical sense.

Knowledge - Death will erase it
Job - Death will erase it
Wealth - Death will erase it
Education - Death will erase it

Death erases everything...

If not otherwise, I want to learn from the experiences of the team here what each one is DOING on this front?

Why should anyone think that death is a life time preparation! Each one enjoys are suffers in life according to their good and bad deeds

in the earlier births and this birth. Some die a sudden death without prolonged suffering where as some others suffer for many years!

The best way to live is to be straight forward and unafraid; be of help to the near and dear ones and not be too selfish! :)

We Brahmins converse with death twice daily associating it with a God and calling him names like Yama Dharmaraja etc. We have stories like that of Savitri conversing with death as to an equal and even calling him a friend￾0È3 earning his approbation. Such concepts and stories are meant to lessen the fear of death caused by our frailities like accidents￾0È3 diseases... Thinking about death is good as it gives us detachment and helps us see things in the proper perspective.

Not true! Artists, scientists and inventors leave something for others in this world which no one can erase!

Example: Please listen to the sweet song of Smt. M S S which lives for ever!

Bhaja Govindham -M.S.Subbulakshmi

Great! The point here is "We must live as well".

They live and their songs also live

For eg
Saint Thyagaraja -
Saint Narayana Theerthar
Saint Muthuswamy Dheekshitar etc etc

Everyone is Aathman hence it does not take time to realize it provided we get the right guidance/guru

If we are capable of being a saint why should we restrict ourselves?

If it is easy to become a saint, the saints will not have any value! :)

What I meant to say is that death does not erase everything.

It is enough if we 'live and let live' and be helpful to others as far as possible. :cool:

the best way to handle death is not think about it

.live each day to the fullest enjoying all the good things life has to offer

.Time is short if one is over sixty.

be self suffficient and learn to contribute to society so that a few remember you for for all that you did for them

leave behind a legacy that others can emulate

Let me share something with everyone here..I know a person of a different religion who loves to discuss religion with me when she meets me.

She is an elderly lady (a Non Hindu)

She was telling me yesterday that she welcomes death cos life is actually a preparation for death.

So she wanted my opinion(besides a doctor I have to play preacher to some of my patients!LOL)

So I told her "Yes when death comes knocking all of us have to welcome it but when we are alive why think of death?

She replied "when we think of death we get scared and behave ourselves so that we commit no sin"

I asked her "So is living in constant fear actually what you call life? For me I would call it a living dead situation..in that case you are already dead!"

She did not know what to say.

Then I told her "Live life as it comes..and when death comes you will realize its not death after all but just a transition for another mode of life"

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

Actually it is the karmA theory which makes people scared of doing sins!

Not all the good people have 'anAyAsa maraNam'!! :sad:

hi

death is not the end of the journey....its starting another new journey of life....so every body comes with BIRTH DATE AND

EXPIRY DEATH....ITS UNAVOIDABLE...death is also part of life journey.....

சிலர் வழித்துணை ஆக வருகிறவர்கள் .....வாழ்க்கை துணை ஆகிவிடுகிறீகள்.....

சிலர் வாழ்க்கை ஆக வருகிறவர்கள் .....வழி துணை ஆகிவிடுகிறார்கள் .....

ஆகையால் மரணமும் .....நமது வாழ்கை துணை தான்...............

நிழல் எப்படி நாமுடன் எப்பொழுதும் இருக்கிறதோ......அது போலே தான்

மரணமும் நம்மோடு என்றும் உள்ளது......

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

Actually it is the karmA theory which makes people scared of doing sins!

Not all the good people have 'anAyAsa maraNam'!! :sad:

karma theory is for believers in the theory. it is fear of punishment and consequences which deters people from sinful

acts. if these fears are removed , nothing should stop people from committing a so called sin.

Death is only stopping of heart beats and why it should deter us from enjoying this world and what it has to offer.

it is sensible to live life to the fullest and not think of death

Certain section may think in terms of 'Let us cross the bridge when it comes and learn to die when the death comes.'

There is one section that do think that in the meanwhile as life is a process of learning, with a thirst for knowledge, let us try to learn the meaning of birth and death and live our life practicing ‘Live and let live’ ‘Be good and do good.

Sri Ramakrishna used to say ‘As long I live, so long do I learn.

As days pass by, we are moving close to the grave which is inevitable. Let us also learn the lesson of facing death which needs preparation mentally. Thinking about death is not a sin. It is something like waiting in the counter for the ticket to our return journey!!

Read somewhere ‘Birth is awakening and death is slumbering’.

In Government, they always prepare plans to overcome situations like Flood, Famine, etc emergencies. We know certain that our life is going to come to end one day. Why not be prepared for it and hug it with all merriness when it knocks at our door and say 'Good Bye' to all !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Death is NOT a train ticket which gives the time and date of leaving and enable us to say good bye to our near ones!

I have seen a few oldies who pray for death and still keep living for several years! It is pathetic to see such people.

This makes me believe in previous births and some sins done by those suffering people in such births!

Death is NOT a train ticket which gives the time and date of leaving and enable us to say good bye to our near ones!

I have seen a few oldies who pray for death and still keep living for several years! It is pathetic to see such people.

This makes me believe in previous births and some sins done by those suffering people in such births!
people praying for death outwardly but having inner desire to live long go thru this phase.this is also typical brahmin

double talk. there is nothing pathetic about many of them

I know some who outwardly talk of death when the are unable to cope with old age related medical,family,financial

problems and look for sympathy and support.

In my extended family I have relations who have been talking about death and have lived for couple of decades after that.one even took a promise from me that I will look after his family on death and died 20 years later.lol

Those who got the ticket only know the date and time of their journey.

But for those who are waiting for the ticket may not know first of all, whether they will get the ticket itself,
bcos there will be lot of hurdles like power cut, computer will hang on, internet connection problem,hardware problem, lot of things- murphy's law is there.

Even if one wait in the queue, it is uncertain that he is sure to get his ticket. One will get the ticket only on his turn, provided if everything goes well.

Waiting for the ticket is different and getting the ticket is totally different.

Last edited by a moderator:
people praying for death outwardly but having inner desire to live long go thru this phase.this is also typical brahmin

double talk. there is nothing pathetic about many of them............
Dear Krish Sir,

I think you have not seen people who really suffer and wish for death to give them peace!

But I have seen. YES!!

I am furnishing hereunder the song recited by the members of Sri Vishnu Sahasranama Mandali of our place which is self-explanatory:-

அகத்தியர் பாடல்

ஹரி நாராயண ஹரி நாராயண ஹரி நாராயண நாராயணா

நொந்துடலும் கிழமாகி தளர்ந்து பின் நோயில் நடுங்கிடும் போது
ஜீவ நாடிகள் நைந்திடும்போது மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
இன்று சிந்தை கசிந்துனைக் கூவுகிறேன் அருள் செய்திடுவாய் ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

நீடு கபம் கோழை ஈழை நெருக்கி என் நெஞ்சை அடைத்திடும் போது
விக்கி நாவும் குழறிடும் போது மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
அன்றுனைக் கூவிட இன்றழைத்தேன் எனை ஆண்டருள்வாய் ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

ஐம்பொறியும் கரணங்களும் வாயுவும் ஆடியடங்கிடும் போது
எந்தன் ஆவி பிறிந்திடும் போது மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
நம்பியுனைத் தொழுதேன் அழைத்தேன் ஜகன் நாயகனே ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

உற்றவர் எனைப் பெற்றவர் மற்றவர் என் சுற்றமும்
உற்றவர் பெற்றவர் மற்றவர் சுற்றம் ஓவென்று நின்றழுதிடும் போது
உயிரோசைகள் ஓய்ந்திடும் போது மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
பற்றி உனைப் பணிந்தேன் அழைத்தேன் ஆபத்பாந்தவனே ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

என் பொருள் என் மனை என்பது இனி இல்லை என் பொருள் என் மனை என்பதெல்லாம்
இனி இல்லை என்றாகிடும் போது மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
அன்றுனைக் கூவிட இன்றழைத்தேன் அருள் அச்சுதனே ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

வந்தெமதூதர் வளைத்துப் பிடித்து வாவென்று இழுத்திடும் போது
மனம் எண்ணிடுமோ தெரியாது தெரியாது தெரியாது
அந்தத அந்தியம் நீ வர இன்றழைத்தேன் ஸச்சிதானந்தனே ஹரி நாராயணா ஓம்

I would like a share a technique given Kanchi Paramacharya (This is a start point... I feel)

Q. Will Your Holiness be pleased to prescribe a technique by which the concentration and equanimity of the mind may be facilitated?

A. Normally one breathes through one of the two nostrils, right or left. It is possible to change the breathing is through the right nostril, and if it is to be changed to the left, what one should do is to put pressure on the right side of the body, which could be done by resting the right palm on the ground and making the body lean on that arm. For a change from the left to the right, the pressure should be put on the left side. Before the actual change takes place, the breathing would be through both the nostrils for a short time, say two seconds This is what may be called equalised breathing, its period will become longer and longer. And, the equalised breathing will facilitate the gaining of mental balance and equanimity. The more one practices this, the greater will be the progress in achieving the balance of mind, and the ability to remain unperturbed.

Courtesy: Hinduism Sanathana Dharma and Vedanta: presented by Shri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham : kamakoti.org

Where there is no mind or if the mind is crystal clear, Aathman reveals itself.

If we voluntarily stop the mind for a few seconds frequently throughout the day..Practicising it for 2 to 3 months, the Aathman will reveal itself for several times in a day. The objective is to be in that state for 24 hours.

I had shared the technique given by Paramacharya above..

I herewith share the technique that is simple.. In the childhood days, we play "Statue and release" aka "Attack and release". Suggest the same now. Once you say for yourself "Statue", the entire body and mind will stop for few seconds.

That is the moment YOU ARE THAT.

Try this atleast once every hour.. After 2-3 months practice, the silence/aathman reveals itself. Please reach me at 9840217417 if you require any assistance on this.

Where there is no mind or if the mind is crystal clear, Aathman reveals itself.

If we voluntarily stop the mind for a few seconds frequently throughout the day..Practicising it for 2 to 3 months, the Aathman will reveal itself for several times in a day. The objective is to be in that state for 24 hours.

I had shared the technique given by Paramacharya above..

I herewith share the technique that is simple.. In the childhood days, we play "Statue and release" aka "Attack and release". Suggest the same now. Once you say for yourself "Statue", the entire body and mind will stop for few seconds.

That is the moment YOU ARE THAT.

Try this atleast once every hour.. After 2-3 months practice, the silence/aathman reveals itself. Please reach me at 9840217417 if you require any assistance on this.

Dear Srimadhan ji,

I am very surprised to read this.

Firstly can you explain what you define as the Mind?

To be frank we can only stop conscious thinking but not the subconscious.

That too a total stop is just imaginary..in the sense we are actually focusing on something when we claim to stop the mind.

Even if you say "Statue"..nothing actually stops..heart goes on beating,respiration goes on..kidneys go on functioning..brain goes on functioning...the parasympathetic system is actively
functioning.

Technically if you feel the Atma needs to "reveal" itself to you that means a state of duality still exists ..where is the question to reveal anything when in reality nothing is hidden..nothing is bound and also the question to be free does not arise too.

The human mind in the quest for spirituality goes thru various stages:

1)The Bhakta stage where one feels extra holy.

2)Then the Eureka stage where one feels he has tasted some amount of divinity and actively starts preaching to others.

3)Then the empty stage where one feels he has not really decided which direction he should head.

4)The the skeptic stage..where doubts arise in his mind

5)The "go to hell' stage..where one can take a 180 degree turn and might become an Atheist or Agnostic.

6)Those who survive stage no 5 later realize that everyone is unique and we actually find our own path which might not be same as an another and lives life without complicating his mind or the minds of others.

Now back to topic..I feel its best for each person to find his/her own way and I am surprised to see your phone number here for those who want assistance to make Atman reveal itself..well... truly realized souls do not actually teach others short cut techniques.

Last edited:
Dear Srimadhan ji,

That too a total stop is just imaginary..in the sense we are actually focusing on something when we claim to stop the mind.

Even if you say "Statue"..nothing actually stops..heart goes on beating,respiration goes on..kidneys go on functioning..brain goes on functioning...the parasympathetic system is actively
functioning.

Technically if you feel the Atma needs to "reveal" itself to you that means a state of duality still exists ..where is the question to reveal anything when in reality nothing is hidden..nothing is bound and also the question to be free does not arise too.

2)Then the Eureka stage where one feels he has tasted some amount of divinity and actively starts preaching to others.

3)Then the empty stage where one feels he has not really decided which direction he should head.

5)The "go to hell' stage..where one can take a 180 degree turn and might become an Atheist or Agnostic.

6)Those who survive stage no 5 later realize that everyone is unique and we actually find our own path which might not be same as an another and lives life without complicating his mind or the minds of others.

Now back to topic..I feel its best for each person to find his/her own way and I am surprised to see your phone number here for those who want assistance to make Atman reveal itself..well... truly realized souls do not actually teach others short cut techniques.

Dear Renuka Madam

Thank you for your thoughts on this..I am not talking about the stopping of the physical activities/activities of the body here at all..

What is mind? - To me, it is a collection of thoughts and an extrapolation or intrapolation of it.

All starts with duality and ends with Advaita..

Okay..All the meditation techniques in the world are derived out of Lord Shiva's techniques in Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. Mine inclusive.. Kanchi Paramacharya inclusive..

If someone wishes to try..let them..
If someone does wish to try.. no worries..

I had given my phone no for someone who tries this and has some doubts on it. Any spiritual practice needs guidance.. Nothing more..

Dear Renuka Madam

Thank you for your thoughts on this..I am not talking about the stopping of the physical activities/activities of the body here at all..

What is mind? - To me, it is a collection of thoughts and an extrapolation or intrapolation of it.

All starts with duality and ends with Advaita..

Okay..All the meditation techniques in the world are derived out of Lord Shiva's techniques in Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. Mine inclusive.. Kanchi Paramacharya inclusive..

If someone wishes to try..let them..
If someone does wish to try.. no worries..

I had given my phone no for someone who tries this and has some doubts on it. Any spiritual practice needs guidance.. Nothing more..

Dear Sir,

Stopping thoughts itself is actually focusing our thoughts on something else..for example some meditate and focus their thoughts to be unidirectional on a desired object or desired mantra at any given time.

So in other words the mind is actually not stopped or still..its only perceived as still cos it seems to be unidirectional..Eka Gratha.

Like channeling all traffic into one lane..the flow goes on and nothing really stops but may be just regulated thats all.

BTW as long as you are confident that you can guide others..I guess than you should be fine cos when it comes to the human mind "guiding" others is a huge responsibility and it could also back fire and with not so favorable consequences.

I have seen many people who have guided others and end up with lots of problems themselves later on in life..so thread with caution..the best is to ask your Guru if you can start guiding others.

Dear Srimadhan ji,

functioning.

Dear Madam,

I have remained a silent spectator of this forum for a while now, but I could not resist appreciating you for your post.
Really wonderful.
You could be an excellent spiritual leader.

Regards
Varadharajan

Dear Sir,

Stopping thoughts itself is actually focusing our thoughts on something else..for example some meditate and focus their thoughts to be unidirectional on a desired object or desired mantra at any given time.

So in other words the mind is actually not stopped or still..its only perceived as still cos it seems to be unidirectional..Eka Gratha.

Like channeling all traffic into one lane..the flow goes on and nothing really stops but may be just regulated thats all.

BTW as long as you are confident that you can guide others..I guess than you should be fine cos when it comes to the human mind "guiding" others is a huge responsibility and it could also back fire and with not so favorable consequences.

I have seen many people who have guided others and end up with lots of problems themselves later on in life..so thread with caution..the best is to ask your Guru if you can start guiding others.

Dear Renuka Ji

Thanks again for your thoughts..

I understand, respect and agree that Guiding is a huge responsibility. I have been permitted by my Guru quite some time back for this and I am experienced to do this as I am doing this for quite some time.

Dear Renuka Ji

Thanks again for your thoughts..

I understand, respect and agree that Guiding is a huge responsibility. I have been permitted by my Guru quite some time back for this and I am experienced to do this as I am doing this for quite some time.

Dear sir,

Since you have been given the green signal by your Guru than best of luck for guiding people and God bless you and your noble deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back