• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Request for help by Srividhya

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxrajamo

Hi folks Saw this email on another thread. Posting it here so as it belongs here.
-----------------
My name is Srividhya and my email id is [email protected]. I am studying 2nd Year B.E in Sri Ramakrishna college of engg , coimbatore . I am from a poor brahmin family ( my parents are cooks ) and I need help in continuing further education . My expenses for fees and other study related expenditure is 40000Rs per year . I request whoever can help to help me whatever way they can .First year I have paid already , I need money for the rest 3 years. I did get the engg seat on merit , since I am from forward community I could note get it in govt colleges . I want to use this opportunity to bring up my family

Hi Srividhya,

Please let us know if there is a phone number where you can be reached. I have also sent an email to your yahoo id.

Thanks
Ramki

Hi Ramki:
Great! We do need a separate thread for these kinds of activities. Do you think it is possible to forward automatically to all the members' emails when something like this comes up? This way, all the members can be notified without having to log on.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello Srividhya:

Will be happy to help you. Please provide your details to rxrajamo.

JS

Hi All,

I spoke to SriVidhya today and here is the update.

She is doing 2nd year Electronics & Instrumentation at Sri Ramakrishna College of Engineering in Coimbatore. Her parents have managed to pay the first year fees and for the second year they have borrowed money to pay for her fees. This needs to be returned and we need continued commitments for the the 3rd and 4th year too.

Her phone number at Coimbatore is 0422 2341418 and she would be at home after 6:00 pm.

We need to work out on the modalities of helping her. Probably members in India esp. Chennai can tell us how to proceed with this. Last time Balaji did a wonderful job of coordinating and getting help. Any inputs Praveen/Balaji ?

I would also request all members to pitch in to help fund her studies.

Thanks
Ramki

Hello rxrajamo:

Good. But, please remove the phone number from this forum for obvious reasons

JS

rxrajamo said:
Hi All,

I spoke to SriVidhya today and here is the update.

She is doing 2nd year Electronics & Instrumentation at Sri Ramakrishna College of Engineering in Coimbatore. Her parents have managed to pay the first year fees and for the second year they have borrowed money to pay for her fees. This needs to be returned and we need continued commitments for the the 3rd and 4th year too.

Her phone number at Coimbatore is 0422 2341418 and she would be at home after 6:00 pm.

We need to work out on the modalities of helping her. Probably members in India esp. Chennai can tell us how to proceed with this. Last time Balaji did a wonderful job of coordinating and getting help. Any inputs Praveen/Balaji ?

I would also request all members to pitch in to help fund her studies.

Thanks
Ramki

Dear Ramki and my other TamilBrahmin friends:

I was discussing this topic with a cousin of mine. He said that instead of helping out every time piecemeal, we all could put some lump sum money and out of this money, loans without any interest could be given out to these young men and women. I am sure these kids are very bright and once they graduate, they will get good jobs. Therefore, we could stipulate that the loan should be repaid after six years (or something like that). This way, the money could be rotated.
I thought I should bring this up for everybody to think it over. My cousin may have a point.

Last edited:
Brilliant!! Good idea Silverfox.

silverfox said:

I was discussing this topic with a cousin of mine. He said that instead of helping out every time piecemeal, we all could put some lump sum money and out of this money, loans without any interest could be given out to these young men and women. I am sure these kids are very bright and once they graduate, they will get good jobs. Therefore, we could stipulate that the loan should be repaid after six years (or something like that). This way, the money could be rotated.
I thought I should bring this up for everybody to think it over. My cousin may have a point.

Good one Silverfox. We all had a chat with Praveen & Balaji on these lines earlier. The idea was to pool a common fund and use the fund or interest from it to sponsor the needy. Praveen was looking into forming an org kind of environment that might help this. Starting such an org will be the only way things can scale as the site becomes more popular. But it is gonna take a little time. Till then we have to raise funds individually for every request for help.

silverfox said:

[JSIyengar-Brilliant!! Good idea Silverfox.]

Dear JSIyengar:

Thank you! But I cannot take the credit; my cousin, Mr. Ragunathan, should. I am still cajoling him to join our organization. He keeps saying that he will not join anything that is caste based. (One of those who believe in 'secularism'!!). However, I am sure he will help out if we are to set up a trust to help these bright kids.

I think members could send in a lump sum in the name of their beloved and the trust could disburse money under that name. This will make members happy, too, because their beloved's name is mentioned.
Do I make any sense?

Thanks Balaji. You might want to call her up and see if she has a bank account to transfer money to. Or probably we can all mail it to her address. What do you think ?

subalaji said:
I can make sure money reaches her ,not sure how and in whose name people can send thier money, any suggestions

We need to start a Non profit organization, something like Brahmins Welfare Fund., so that everything can be channelized.,

Because, We are ignored by Reserved india , We are abused by anti hindu actors like Vivek and every others.

We have to help ourselves.,

Dear Friends:

I am sure you have seen my earlier posting on setting up a trust and to lend money free of interest to needy students.

So far, I see we have 387 members. I was thinking, if all of us (at least 350 of us) contribute a one-time donation of, say, Rs.2,000 (or higher if someone can afford it), that would come to about Rs.7 lakhs or more. We could start with this money as seed money.
What do you all think? Just a thought. This way, we don't need to bother members every time a need arises.

Last edited:
yes, i agree to the proposal of silver fox. workout the modalities and ensure that no bank charges are involved in tfrng money(waste). as regards srividya let us do something individually to take care of current year problem

So we all are on agreement here. For the present let us try to help case by case. For helping Srividhya, we need to come up with the modalities. We need inputs from members in Chennai/India who can help with this.

Anyone from Chennai/India willing to work on this ?

navy-eswaran said:
yes, i agree to the proposal of silver fox. workout the modalities and ensure that no bank charges are involved in tfrng money(waste). as regards srividya let us do something individually to take care of current year problem

iam also interested in setting up a non profit trust to help poor brahmins., :)

Dear Friends:
I just now spoke to Srividhya (US Eastern time 9:45 am Wednesday) and got the bank details as under:

Name: B. Srividhya (Father's name: Balasubramanian)
Bank: Union Bank of India
Oppanakkaran Street
Coimbatore-1
Account No. 201/20687

I was moved when Srividhya's mother asked to speak to me. I could tell the lady was moved by all of your (I am referring to all of you willing to help!) generosity and magnanimous gesture. She said they have two daughters and they are very grateful for our help. It feels good that we are in a position to help out the needy; this is exactly what God wants us to do.

Ramki, I am not sure how this is going to work out. On my part, I could make a bank electronic transfer from Chennai bank to Coimbatore. Maybe other members who are helping out could do the same. Also, what is the total amount for this year?

Thanks Silverfox.

This year we need 40,000 Indian rupees to pay back the loan her parents have taken for her studies.

Do we want to schedule a conference call between all US members sometime this weekend ? Please let me know.

I suggest that all members in US who want to donate to transfer money/send check to you. Would that be ok ?

For members in India who want to help, we can request them to send money directly to SriVidhya's account.

Please let me know if this would work.

Ramki

silverfox said:
Dear Friends:
I just now spoke to Srividhya (US Eastern time 9:45 am Wednesday) and got the bank details as under:

Name: B. Srividhya (Father's name: Balasubramanian)
Bank: Union Bank of India
Oppanakkaran Street
Coimbatore-1
Account No. 201/20687

I was moved when Srividhya's mother asked to speak to me. I could tell the lady was moved by all of your (I am referring to all of you willing to help!) generosity and magnanimous gesture. She said they have two daughters and they are very grateful for our help. It feels good that we are in a position to help out the needy; this is exactly what God wants us to do.

Ramki, I am not sure how this is going to work out. On my part, I could make a bank electronic transfer from Chennai bank to Coimbatore. Maybe other members who are helping out could do the same. Also, what is the total amount for this year?

Dear Ramki:

I was kinda thinking along the same lines that you came up with - people in the US who want to send money could send them to me and I can make one single money transfer to Srividhya. Hey! Ramki! they say 'great men think alike'!! Boy! have I fooled everybody!!

All jokes aside, please by all means, anybody in the US who wants to contribute, they could send me a check and once I collect them all, I could make an electronic transfer.
Or, if somebody else wants to do it, (like somebody might be going to Chennai) it is great, too. Let me know.

Ramki, for conference call, whom do we invite?

Ok, this is my suggestion: All members who want to contribute, please immediately send email to Ramki giving him your contact telephone number and what time of day would be convenient for the conference call(Ramki, would you like to give out your other email id?). Once we gather all the names, we will have the conference call and decide.
On the other hand, if all of you want to just send money, let us know. Please act quickly.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
Great !!! I think what you suggested is a viable model.

BTW, reg "Great men think alike" it could well be the case of "Fools seldom differ" :) hehe :)) Just kidding.

For the conference call we can invite all US members who want to donate for this effort and to similar causes subject to a limit of say 10 people at the most. If we have more requests than that then we kind of need another way of communication. Let us see the response and decide.

Thanks Silverfox.

your response to srividhya's problem is amazing... yet could any of you not think of making the payment of fees direct to the college authorities after comfirming the details from Srividhya?

Kamalaswami

That was the first thing that crossed our minds. When I spoke to her she told me that for this year her parents have paid the fees by borrowing money and it needs to be returned. Hence for this year we have to pay the money to her directly. From next year we have told her that we would pay the fees directly to the college. Would have been better if you had checked the entire thread especially my posting on the 16th of August before posting your message.

kamalaswami said:
your response to srividhya's problem is amazing... yet could any of you not think of making the payment of fees direct to the college authorities after comfirming the details from Srividhya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back