• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

2014 rates of Kalyana Mandapams in Chennai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear esteemed members,

Here are the current rates of some kalyana mandapams which I enquired for my daughter's wedding.

Hope the information is useful for fellow parents involved in mandapam hunting:

New Woodlands Hotel: Rs 2 Lacs per day, Rs 30,000 per day electricity etc and 12. 5 % taxes

Mani mahal: For occupancy over 1 day and upto 2.5 days: Rs. 3,08,562, caution deposit Rs 1 lac of which most of it will be used up.

Anugraha hall Velachery: Has no lift, hence not in my shortlist. Rs 1,70,000 for 2 days plus tax at 12.36%

Bhuvaneswari Kalyana Mandapam T nagar: Rs 60,000 per day + electricity (unknown)

Vishnu Mahal: Rs.2,81,000 for two and half days. Rs. 1.5 lacs caution deposit of which only Rs 45,000 will be returned.

Geetha Bhawan Kalyana mandapam Gopalapuram: 1.25 lacs per day Electricity Rs 35-40,000 per day. This is basic package and comes with 4 A/c rooms. If you want more rooms you can hire their guest house in the 2nd floor for Rs 45,000 per day. This has 11 double rooms all with A/c.

Vijaya Hall T Nagar: Rs 2.75 lacs per day

MRC Hall: I only enquired about the mini-hall called Ramaswamy Hall: It is Rs 4,020,350 per day. Caution deposit Rs 2.25 lacs of which only Rs25,000 will be returned.

Guha Kalyana Mandapam Alwarthirunagar: Rs 1,70,000 for 2.5 days. Caution deposit Rs 1 lac.

Sundarshree Mahal: Rs 1,85,000 for 2.5 days. Rs 90,000 for electricity for the duration. Has 11 A/c rooms.

I was quite amazed at the rates and the fact that they expect full payment at the time of booking. There is no written contract for such huge amounts and no way of knowing if they have a cancellation policy. The amount being deducted for electricity is frankly appalling.

Anyway that is the way things are and nothing we can do about it I guess. So going to soldier on.

I will be happy if this post is useful to someone.

Regards

Vanaja

vanaja ji ,thanks for the info.useful
the way rates have skyrocketed it is not worth performing a marriage in chennai
why not have reception alone in chennai. shift to any place for marriage
even bangalore is not bad . towns like tiruchy ,kumbakonam are very cheap for marriages even considering added transport charges
I preferred to have marriages in bangalore,kumbakonam and delhi where halls and contracters are far cheap and have reception in chennai later .

Dear esteemed members,

Here are the current rates of some kalyana mandapams which I enquired for my daughter's wedding.

Hope the information is useful for fellow parents involved in mandapam hunting:

New Woodlands Hotel: Rs 2 Lacs per day, Rs 30,000 per day electricity etc and 12. 5 % taxes

Mani mahal: For occupancy over 1 day and upto 2.5 days: Rs. 3,08,562, caution deposit Rs 1 lac of which most of it will be used up.

Anugraha hall Velachery: Has no lift, hence not in my shortlist. Rs 1,70,000 for 2 days plus tax at 12.36%

Bhuvaneswari Kalyana Mandapam T nagar: Rs 60,000 per day + electricity (unknown)

Vishnu Mahal: Rs.2,81,000 for two and half days. Rs. 1.5 lacs caution deposit of which only Rs 45,000 will be returned.

Geetha Bhawan Kalyana mandapam Gopalapuram: 1.25 lacs per day Electricity Rs 35-40,000 per day. This is basic package and comes with 4 A/c rooms. If you want more rooms you can hire their guest house in the 2nd floor for Rs 45,000 per day. This has 11 double rooms all with A/c.

Vijaya Hall T Nagar: Rs 2.75 lacs per day

MRC Hall: I only enquired about the mini-hall called Ramaswamy Hall: It is Rs 4,020,350 per day. Caution deposit Rs 2.25 lacs of which only Rs25,000 will be returned.

Guha Kalyana Mandapam Alwarthirunagar: Rs 1,70,000 for 2.5 days. Caution deposit Rs 1 lac.

Sundarshree Mahal: Rs 1,85,000 for 2.5 days. Rs 90,000 for electricity for the duration. Has 11 A/c rooms.

I was quite amazed at the rates and the fact that they expect full payment at the time of booking. There is no written contract for such huge amounts and no way of knowing if they have a cancellation policy. The amount being deducted for electricity is frankly appalling.

Anyway that is the way things are and nothing we can do about it I guess. So going to soldier on.

I will be happy if this post is useful to someone.

Regards

Vanaja
if you do not mind suburbs , ahobila mutt has a large mandapam near tambaram.also some are availble in OMR area

hi

there are some middle class budget in thiruvanmiyur area....near marudeeswar temple...tyagaraja kalyana mandapam,,...some are near

kulam in the mada veedhis....

if you do not mind suburbs , ahobila mutt has a large mandapam near tambaram.also some are availble in OMR area

Krish ji,

I agree. Sri Satari Bhavanam of Arthi Nagar, Tambaram East is a spacious one having both the Mandapam and dining Hall at ground floor. One need not worry about stairs and lift. Kitchen is also spacious.

It is attached to Ahobila Mutt and the rent proceeds go to meet the expenditure to run the Vedapatasala also.

We conducted our daughter's wedding at this Hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Vanaja, ji , O M G ???? !!!!,:faint2: Actually whats going on ,why do rates quote so so high ,along with hidden cost also. People has to re -consider ,meant as, so why to waste such a huge amount ,instead any Mutt ,if both bride & groom accept :decision:their native temple ,then grand reception ,later cash can be deposited to their kids, but family back ground, Relatives :gossip: suggestion ?? .Its high time to decide.

Hello Vanaja, ji , O M G ???? !!!!,:faint2: Actually whats going on ,why do rates quote so so high ,along with hidden cost also. People has to re -consider ,meant as, so why to waste such a huge amount ,instead any Mutt ,if both bride & groom accept :decision:their native temple ,then grand reception ,later cash can be deposited to their kids, but family back ground, Relatives :gossip: suggestion ?? .Its high time to decide.

hi
simple weddings in temple...nice reception in small scale....enjoy life with money with kids...be happy to avoid unnecceassary

expenditures.....these are some hypes and show off to society...

Hello TBS Sir,Yes there are many hypes ,show off in our society, so what do they gain,a big ,grand banner is it ,come on people we have to be at least some what near normal ,practical,or at last logical way .Giving order,business to many is another topic ,but never fool / cheat ourselves in life.

hi
....these are some hypes and show off to society...

Sir,

You are right.

We are talking about exorbitant rent of Marriage Halls. But in reality most of the parents do spend lot of money in most of the items starting with printing of wedding invitation cards. Everything is expensive. It is happening.

BTW I wonder the need for fruit and vegetable carving exhibitions in some wedding receptions.

Hello TBS Sir,Yes there are many hypes ,show off in our society, so what do they gain,a big ,grand banner is it ,come on people we have to be at least some what near normal ,practical,or at last logical way .Giving order,business to many is another topic ,but never fool / cheat ourselves in life.
hi

somebody is benefitted....somebody foolled others....its like ...somebody's medicine is somebody's poison.......there are both

sides arguements.....but waste is waste...its the truth....

DR CN ji
if you are talking temple for iyengars, there is one wedding hallnear uppilappankoil kumbakonam,a very large ground plus one witk 12 rooms ,6 of them AC at nominal rent of 18ooo rs per day belongs to sri ramanuja mission -srimath andavan ashramam the hall is newly constructed about one year old . there is a hotel alongside grplus3 for ac /nonac rooms. my nephew , a chennai resident got marrried there with a reception on good scale in chennai . excellant economics.
this trust has halls in mylapore,kancheepuram,tiruvaheendrapuram,tirupathi also for marriage. it is worth it . the hall we engaged in kumbakonam was excellent

Last edited:
hi
simple weddings in temple...nice reception in small scale....enjoy life with money with kids...be happy to avoid unnecceassary

expenditures.....these are some hypes and show off to society...
TBS ji
instead of wasteful expediture on one day show off ,it might be sensible to give money to children getting married to enable kickstart their married life.
if you are a delhi wala . try some defence wedding halls . you can get big ones with a huge lawns for reception for 30 k per day. but you need to book early .there are also baratghars -wedding halls of govt in good lutyens delhi ac ones at nominal cost. delhi is the place to get married if one of the parties is north based

TBS ji,

In Delhi, I have seen the North Indians conducting their wedding celebrations in a vacant plot with make shift wedding shamiyana with colourful decorations, flowers, plants, etc etc I think it is less expensive. I have seen such celebrations held even in parks.

Sir,

You are right.

We are talking about exorbitant rent of Marriage Halls. But in reality most of the parents do spend lot of money in most of the items starting with printing of wedding invitation cards. Everything is expensive. It is happening.

BTW I wonder the need for fruit and vegetable carving exhibitions in some wedding receptions.

one has to do a financial analysis . heads on which it is spent . if it is on assets like gold or silvers in marriage, it is only conversion of currency into illiquid assets. anyway going to children.heads for saving
-size of halls depending on number of invitees and location ,no of days for booking
extra accomodation .ac /non ac - one can save a lot on this
- clothes- silks for all and sundry I can understand if it is for those getting married
- turnkey contract for wedding prefable instead of piecemeal with right estimate of numbers . it would be wise to restrict wedding to close relations and a few friends and reception to mostlly friends buffet style . this is a major head
- flowers and flower decoration and lighting-try nothing fancy
-video etc do not get carried away and order dozen sets of fancy albums . it is difficult to find someone to keep them . CDs are fine
- look after few who attend nicely employing some decent hostesses and take care of senior citizen specially.
forget about spending on a few fruits,vegetable carvings ,wedding cards and beauty parlour etc - these are frills a small part of celebrations to make the wedding children happy

Last edited:
TBS ji,

In Delhi, I have seen the North Indians conducting their wedding celebrations in a vacant plot with make shift wedding shamiyana with colourful decorations, flowers, plants, etc etc I think it is less expensive. I have seen such celebrations held even in parks.
baalu ji
shamiana fellows loot. since it is only overnight for north indian wedding ,people use them.
equally expensive are farmhouses. govt accomodation is best. food is a bit expensive in delhi as compared to chennai.but overall wedding expenses are far lower.

TBS ji
instead of wasteful expediture on one day show off ,it might be sensible to give money to children getting married to enable kickstart their married life.
if you are a delhi wala . try some defence wedding halls . you can get big ones with a huge lawns for reception for 30 k per day. but you need to book early .there are also baratghars -wedding halls of govt in good lutyens delhi ac ones at nominal cost. delhi is the place to get married if one of the parties is north based
hi sir,

i got my own wedding in delhi some yrs back in famous R K puram area community hall..,,,very cheap...im from army background...

we have huge community centre in delhi cantt....with very cheap....bottom rate.....those days are gone....i attended many

weddings in delhi....i know many farmhouse weddings....very lavish punjabi weddings...but i saw keralite weddings in sri

guruvarappan temple in east delhi...very simple and temple weddings...nice hall and all facilties too...

Last edited:
hi sir,

i got my own wedding in delhi some yrs back in famous R K puram area community hall..,,,very cheap...im from army background...

we have huge community centre in delhi cantt....with very cheap....bottom rate.....those days are gone....i attended many

weddings in delhi....i know may farmhouse weddings....very lavish punjabi weddings...
TBS ji I got my son married 2-3 years back in delhi I got a huge hall plus ground in noida from defence for 30k per day . you need not be from defence to get it . they give if it is free on that day . only defence gets preference.. AC hall on ground floor and a huge lawn for reception I booked for two days I booked in decent hotels 3 star for accomodating outstation guests . I had a reception later in chennai. excellent economics even adding transportation costs and two receptions in delhi and chennai

TBS ji I got my son married 2-3 years back in delhi I got a huge hall plus ground in noida from defence for 30k per day . you need not be from defence to get it . they give if it is free on that day . only defence gets preference.. AC hall on ground floor and a huge lawn for reception I booked for two days I booked in decent hotels 3 star for accomodating outstation guests . I had a reception later in chennai. excellent economics even adding transportation costs and two receptions in delhi and chennai

hi

now we have our own lawn with all facilities in our society apts....many weddings are happening...especially punjabis....

we tambhrams need different taste.....we have all facilities including catering in our society.....very cheap for residents...in

our society park area.....

hi

now we have our own lawn with all facilities in our society apts....many weddings are happening...especially punjabis....

we tambhrams need different taste.....we have all facilities including catering in our society.....very cheap for residents...in

our society park area.....
tbs ji we can get good south indian catering contracters in delhi at competitive rates. only if you require north indian cuisine for reception one can subcontract that alone'
guruvayoorappan hall is good for kerala weddings which are simple ceremonies lasting hardly an hour or so . our tamil weddings are complicated affairs lasting more than one day. it is preferable to have them on weekends so that working days are not wasted by guests . they can fly in and out of delhi on a weekend

I think it happens in other places as well. I atended two weddings last year, both were in decorated pandals.

One family, politician, the other in the jewelry business. Huge parking space is a big blessing. Getting permission from the local authorities and organizing may need more muscle.
TBS ji,

I think it happens in other places as well. I atended two weddings last year, both were in decorated pandals.

One family, politician, the other in the jewelry business. Huge parking space is a big blessing. Getting permission from the local authorities and organizing may need more muscle.[/Q
In wedding halls parking can be a hastle unless you end up with upmarket places such as habitat centre or india international centre or five star hotels for a wedding. large shamianas with fancy decorations and lighting is for politicians,big businessmen and blackmoney operaters. have you found out what tentwallahs cost for 2 day south indian wedding?

Last edited:
TBS JI,

Good suggestion for all. simple weddings in temple. There are a lot of temples around Chennai, Kumbakonam etc. Most temples charge a fee of about Rs 3000.

Regards,

Some girls are very smart and know how to reduce the expenses of their parents, on their wedding.

They do the 'vEdudhal' to have the wedding in their 'Kula Deivam kOvil' and give a nice reception in the city, later! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back