• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Drishti

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the servant maid of the house is older, she does it for all the members of the family.

I have seen it in a few houses in Kerala.

'Human beings want to make sense of things. When life doesn't turn out the way we hoped it would, we want desperately to understand why. Historically, we found an "explanation" in the actions of evil spirits, or the evil eye.'

Last edited:
Dear Sandhya,

It is a regular practice 'to ward off evil eyes', especially for children.

I have belief in this, though progressive in many thoughts! :)

In our family, an elderly person does it, after a function is over.

One more superstition, just as looking into mirror was.

Most people use mirrors everyday which means, according to this superstition, most people are soulless. There is a superstition that states that looking into a mirror steals your soul. This helps explain why the evil queen uses a mirror to harm Snow White, why Narcissus was ensnared by his own reflection, and why soulless vampires have no reflection. Think twice before you look into the bathroom mirror…you have been warned.

If your actions deserves the results you are seeing it is nobody else's fault. This means that if you do bad things to people, bad things will happen to you, or good things if you do good things.
you reap what you sow.

There are no do overs in life. You can not buy immunity from your actions. You can try to fool others, but the real you always knows.

Last edited:
When you face a desperate situtation in your life all this philosophical, rational thoughts disappear & you hold on to anything which will give strength to face them. Drishti is one of them & all people cling to it at such times.

When you face a desperate situtation in your life all this philosophical, rational thoughts disappear & you hold on to anything which will give strength to face them. Drishti is one of them & all people cling to it at such times.

That is not right, you hold on to the hope that better times are around the corner. No one can rectify the past mistakes. In Hinduism there is no confession and absolution. You can not escape the consequence of your action by blaming it on some one else casting bad eye. This kind of escapism is the cause of unintentional actions.

Karma is a word meaning the result of a person's actions as well as the actions themselves. It is a term about the cycle of cause and effect. According to the theory of Karma, what happens to a person, happens because they caused it with their actions. It is an important part of many religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism.

Karma is about all that a person has done, is doing and will do. Karma is not about punishment or reward. It makes a person responsible for their own life, and how they treat other people.

Let us be honest, we are supposed to be religious people.

There is a practice in a community to drape the bride with a simple cotton saree for the wedding and give it away as dhAnam to

a poor person, later on. It is believed that this will ward off evil eyes cast on the bride, who wears lot of gold and silver ornaments. :)

Dear Prasad Sir,

My belief in God will not reduce my belief in drishti! It is just like my belief in my lucky saree I used to wear for every travel.

Now a days, I have a lucky blue salwar + kameez set also, exclusively for travel. :)

Dear Prasad Sir,

My belief in God will not reduce my belief in drishti! It is just like my belief in my lucky saree I used to wear for every travel.

Now a days, I have a lucky blue salwar + kameez set also, exclusively for travel. :)

Rajiji,
That is totally harmless, and it is like buying insurance, hope you never have to use it.
But DRISTI is malicious, it assumes some one else to have cast bad eye.

Around 300 auto drivers in Boisar have pledged to henceforth stop fastening a lemon and chillies to their vehicles, in the belief that it will ward off all evil. The drivers arrived at the decision after being made aware that it was a mere superstition, during a drive undertaken by Andhshraddha Nirmulan Samiti (ANS), Pune, in association with Indian Medical Association, Boisar chapter, and Rotary Club of Boisar-Tarapur.
No more nimbu-mirchi: Boisar auto drivers to shun age-old superstition - Mumbai Mirror

If rickshaw drivers can be enlightened why not the educated people of TB site.

nimbu-250x176.jpg

Dear Prasad Sir,

Even the lemon and green chillis are not harmful. But some people do the 'drishti' with red chilli and throw it in the 'muchchandhi' -

the intersection of three roads, instead of throwing it in fire as we do. Those who stamp on the thrown chillis will get the ill effect.

I hate such ideas of harming others for the sake of our welfare. :tsk:

Another hazard in Sing. Chennai is the big 'drishti pooshani' broken in front of many shops, on the new moon days. It is extremely

dangerous for the two wheeler riders on the busy roads.

Sri.suma- balu Sir

My answer is bit long, please read it with patience

Dhristi

Dhristi

The word 'dhristi' (Evil Eye) traces its origin from Sanskrit and its literal meaning is 'sight'. In modern linguistics its usage signifies 'evil eye' or rather 'casting an evil-eye' Dhristi is not a concept borrowed from superstitions. Science explains it as the flow of negativity that affects the person or object towards which it is directed.

In India, it is widely prevalent and it has always been understood that the eyes cast the most powerful of emanations from a human body and also that the casting of an evil eye is usually cloaked in an admiring gaze.

Your thoughts have energy, both positive and negative. It is a scientifically proven fact that food or water, when blessed, heals. Negative thoughts when directed towards someone have the ability to affect him. These negative thoughts directed at you that results in unfortunate outcomes for you, your family or your business is popularly known as ˜evil eyeEvil-eye is a stream of negative energy that affects the person or object on which it is directed. The person under the influence of evil eye is subject to waves of negative energies which results in illness, listlessness and failures which can’t be explained medically.

Origin of negativity/ negative energy

Every thought form is associated with energy, Just as blessings and good thoughts have a positive aura about them, so also negative emotions harness harmful or negative energy.
Sources of these negative energies are, people who give way to:

Jealousy

Sense of discrimination/comparison - The feeling that other people are better than you, thereby leading to frustrations.

Spirit of vengeance/retaliation :

People who curse spitefully seeing the prosperity of their rivals. These emotions may not manifest or surface out but their presence even at the subconscious level can be destructive.

Drishti results in:

1. Uneasiness

2. Lack of interest

3. Sudden illness

4. Prolonged illness (without any reason).

The Vedic perspective

The Vedas have described four kinds of people

1. The Satpurushas: who help others without caring for their own well-being

2. The Samanyas: Who help others considering the position of the self

3. Manushya Rakshasas: who extract benefits by disturbing the welfare of other people.

4. People who harm others without any purpose

According to the Vedas, people who belong to the last two categories (described above) are most likely to cast an evil eye.

Power of Dhristi

The ominous power of Dhristi can be subtle or immense depending upon the depth of negative emotions. Stronger the emotions greater will be the energy released. This energy can work at the

A) Material level: An evil-eye on other's possessions like wealth, property, and other accessories which consequently deplete the victims of their resources.

B) Physical and the psychological level: The 'hale and hearty' suddenly succumb to ill-health, or happiness and peace of mind is lost. These are some of the nasty effects of Dhristi. Witchcraft, black magic etc. are advanced manifestations of Dhristi.

Dhristi Parihaaram

Dhrishti Parihaaram is a measure to ward off the evil, cast by an evil eye. The remedy also depends upon the source from which the negative energy has been produced whether it is a product of witchcraft or black magic.

Traditional methods of pariharam

Material level: Some fruits like lemon, watermelon and coconut have the capacity to absorb negative energy. For example: A new automobile is run over lemons before it starts its journey. Watermelons are hung at the gates of houses and babies are smeared with collyrium on the forehead and the cheek to ward off evil.

Physical level: Burning camphor, when brought near any person burns out all the negativity around the person. It is necessary that the mind get tuned (in order to absorb the negative energy) to these media (lemons coconuts, collyrium) of Dhristi Parihaaram so that they serve the desired purpose. Spiritual methods of Dhristi Parihaaram

This is to ward off evil –

Light a piece of camphor in a betel leaf or a small plate. Keep it in a plate of arathi (water mixed with chunnam-lime & turmeric or if lime is not available, use kumkum). Make the child or person(s) sit facing east or west. You stand in front holding this; make 3 clockwise circular motions first, then 3 anticlockwise circular motions next, then upward & downward 3 times, chanting the following sloka:

Subrahmanyascha saenaani guha skandascha vaamanah Mahaasaeno dvaadas(h)aaksha vis(h)vabuk ambikaa suthah bhoothes(h)a paavakee s(h)reemaan vis(h)aaka s(h)ikivaahanah kaankaeyacha gajaaroodaa s(h)athruhanthaa s(h)daaksharaa

The evil that is cast due to black magic or witchcraft needs more powerful remedies like:

1Homams
2. Japams
3. Mantra chanting
4. Parayanam

Which need to be performed with a Guru's consultation.

The drishti sutthal can be done on Thursdays, Sunday, on Pournami and Amavasya day. Regularly performing this can help the person to cast away his/her negative energy, which could not only be the cause of others evil thoughts but one’s own train of negative thoughts.

Dhristi Pariharam ancient times

In ancient times, it was believed that strong smelling herbs and spices would ward off evil spirits and bad luck, as well as ill health. Thus brides started carrying flowers and strong smelling herbs and spices, such as garlic and chives.
During Roman times, the bride and groom extended this tradition by wearing floral garlands on their heads to signify hope for fertility. At this time, the wedding bouquet symbolized a woman in bloom.
In Victorian times, the tradition was further extended. Couples in love would send messages to each other using different flowers; each flower had its own special meaning. These meanings are still used by many brides today.

As the Iranians say – an evil eye sends the camel to the pot and mankind to its grave, and Romanians called their pretty children ugly, with the very purpose of warding of possible evil eyes. It is for the same reasons that Germans look at ‘people with red eyes’, with much suspicion and Italians believe that people with ‘joined up eyebrows’ should be avoided.

Drishti warding off song in Tamil
'அந்தி சந்தி உனக்கு அடைக்கலம்
காலை மா‌லை உனக்கு அடைக்கலம்
குஞ்சு குழந்தை உனக்கு அடைக்கலம்
கோதை பிராட்டி உனக்கு அடைக்கலம்
காரார் திருமேனி க‌ண்ணீரும் வாராது
சீரார் திருவ‌ந்திக் காப்பு!

தாயார் திருஷ்டி த‌ந்தையார் திருஷ்டி
ஊரார் திருஷ்டி உற‌வின‌ர் திருஷ்டி
வைச்ச‌ க‌ண்ணு வெடுக்குணு போக‌ணும்
தொட்ட‌ க‌ண்ணு தொடுக்குணு போக‌ணும்!

Meaning:

'Morning and evening twilight God
Take care of children (and others)
O Goddess Lakshmi Take care
No untoward incident will happen
As Great Safety net is placed now

Mother’s Dhristi, Father’s Dhristi
Relative’s Dhristi, Other’s Dhristi
Evil eye placed be warded off at once
Evil eye implanted be warded off'

Sources: Photography | ~ Kamal Vimanas Masterpiece © ~

Dristhi can lead to lust or love ? - Brahma Kumaris Info - the Truth about BK Meditation
Pundit Prithipal
Photography | ~ Kamal Vimanas Masterpiece © ~

Astrologer Dayanidhi

Maddy's Ramblings: The Evil Eye

Shobana Veeraraghvan

Indian Knowledge System Academy: September 2012

Last edited:
article-0-1AC7513900000578-992_634x471.jpg

'She thought the devil was in the kids': Mother-of-four claims evil spirits made her 'stab-to-death 1-year-old and 2-year-old in shocking exorcism that left two older children seriously injured'
Zakieya Avery, 28, faces two counts of first-degree murder in the stabbing deaths of her 1-year-old son Norell Harris and 2-year-old daughter Zyana
Avery's two older children, ages 5 and 8, suffered multiple stab wounds
Zakieya Avery claims evil spirits made her 'stab-to-death children' | Mail Online

This is what happens when you let your imagination and superstitions run wild.
Wake up and live life.

Zakieya Latrice Avery, Maryland Mother Stabbed Her Children To Death Performing An 'Exorcism'

A Maryland mother and another woman were arrested and charged with murder after authorities discovered the two women had stabbed the mother’s children to death while trying to perform an exorcism. Multiple sources are reporting that the 28-year-old mother, Zakieya Latrice Avery, killed her 1-year-old son, Norell Harris, and his 2-year-old sister Zyana Harris.

Two other children, the siblings of the two toddlers who were killed, were seriously injured during the horrific event and were hospitalized with unspecified injuries, according to KCTV 5. Avery and Monifa Denise Sanford, 21, were taken into custody Friday and charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder, according to the Montgomery County Police.

Last edited:
Killing Superstitions
Breaking the chains..
Saurabh GoyalSaurabh Goyal in Better Humans

You know what grinds my gears, Superstitions. Lots of them, floating in the air and making it hard to breathe. Being an Indian gives you a lot of exposure to these things. The most annoying thing about them is the fact that people blindly follow them. Let me explain with an example. Whenever you mistakenly step on a paper or book, you are supposed to touch it on your forehead. As if that is doing any good. Few days ago, I noticed one of my friends doing the same. When I questioned him about this weird practice, he told me that this is his way of showing respect to the bringers of knowledge. Now being an atheist and ignorant of the forces other than those mentioned in my physics textbooks, I argued that books know nothing of this respect and your kind gestures are going to waste. If you really care about those things, then they should not be lying on the floor in the first place and even if somehow you stepped on them, touching that thing to your head won’t help. The best you can do is put that thing at its proper place and feel sorry for the mishandling.

A few months back, I visited my hometown. While coming back my mother asked me to bow my head before the gods and ask for a safe journey. I told her that it is of no use as the gods have no say in how my journey will turn out. She got scared and forced me to ask for forgiveness from the gods. So I told her “If you need to fear the gods, they are not your gods”.
https://medium.com/better-humans/e4031c18676a

0*LliJGCGBoUmLkLb5.jpeg

It’s not just one case. I see or hear about superstitions almost daily. A few days back, I overheard a friend on a call. He was telling his mom that she should remove his “Nazar” the very same day as he was facing some health issues. Let me take the pleasure to explain this to you. Nazar is a bad charm or bad spell cast by those who feel jealous of you. And the way you remove it in India is by burning some spices during the evening time while encircling the burning thing around the victim. In case the victim is not around, you can use his/her photo. Awesome, right!!!

I do not know whether it is the so called smart people misleading the gullible, or the blind leading the blind over a cliff.
The first one is reprehensible, the second one is pitiable.

It is high time we break this cycle of Superstitions.

If any one has the power, I challenge you to prove me wrong.
Show the results.

Dear Prasad Sir,

The fear of punishment ONLY makes the society at least this good, imho. If people start thinking that God will be kind even if they

commit evil deeds, what will be the plight? When we were kids, elders used to threaten us saying that God will get angry if we do

wrong deeds and will 'poke the eye'! (sAmi kaNNaik kuththidum!). In a way, it is good to have this kind of fear.

Superstitions gives us peace of mind. For example, before any travel, many of us keep some money near our Ista Deivam's picture

and pray for a safe journey. It is not because God wants money as a bribe to save us. It makes our mind calm and feel that God will

take care of us to have a safe journey. Moms sending the children overseas have more fear! :D

Dear RR ji,

Once I had a lady who had brought her baby boy for immunization.

The baby's grandmum also came along.

So as usual when we weigh a baby we record the weight on a graph and show the parents the baby's healthy weight gain.

So I recorded the weight gain and told the mother and grandmother of the baby that "baby is doing fine...a good healthy weight gain"

The very next second the grandmother of the baby literally yelled at me saying in Tamil "dont put Dristhi on my grandson's weight..Aiyoo what is going to happen now?"

After that experience I stopped telling Indian parents about their babies weight gain and just hand them over the graph..unless there is a problem only then I comment on the babies weight.

Just imagine..how dumb can people be..telling a doctor not to put Dristhi!

Even once a small child told me "bye bye Doctor..see you" and his grandmother said to him "dont tell a doctor see you..that means that you will fall sick again..so just walk off without saying a word"

Its really high time we Indians all around the world changed our mindset.

Superstitions gives us peace of mind. For example, before any travel, many of us keep some money near our Ista Deivam's picture

and pray for a safe journey. It is not because God wants money as a bribe to save us. It makes our mind calm and feel that God will

RR ji,

This is bad..its degrades God and encourages corruption.

WOW! this is into 3 pages already! More u write more evidence for the existence of this EVIL EYE.

PJ sir has given a phd thesis on this topic.
there u go more ..............
You're exhausted, but having trouble sleeping. You keep getting one lousy cold after another. You feel like there's a heavy lid over your usual wellspring of happiness. You can't seem to function right and don't know why.

What's going on?
From a psychological standpoint, you seem to be depressed. But from the point of view of energy medicine, you could very well be under psychic attack. Yes, consciously or unconsciously, someone may have formed an intention to harm you.
Maybe you have a mother-in-law who hates the fact that you stole away her precious son or daughter. Don't discount the old "evil eye" she gives you whenever she can. Maybe you've got an ex whose negativity towards you is still strong, even years after the divorce. Or a "frenemy" who's jealousbecause you still fit into the jeans you wore in high school.

Recently maharashtra government passed anti superstition act in a hurry after a rationalist was murdered (culprits yet to be caught). To test the efficacy and validity of the act, the state government has planned to prosecute two persons - a hypnotist and an astrologer. The offence - the hypnotist told his patients that a male child will be born if the mother to be attends some sessions. The astrologer had advised the mother to be to chant some mantras for getting a male child. We have to wait to see what happens. The astrologer and hypnotist can be jailed and fined for ten years if the government prosecutor can prove that these are superstitious practices. P

Perhaps a doctor who prescribes special medicines to increase count and Y ratio may (or may not) also come under the category.

Karnataka government had to defer the bill when many congress legislators learnt that doing bhoomi puja for a new house or any yagna for benefit will also come under this act.

Some food for thought.

Its really high time we Indians all around the world changed our mindset.

I agree fully with this view. Have faith in you, have faith in God, have faith in Karma theory. You need no Superstitions.

I understand Rajiji's post, there is nothing wrong in buying insurance to calm your mind. But like Renukaji said it is downright rude to blame others for what is happening to you. Why do you think others would be jealous of you, and even if they are, how can they hurt you by "DRISTI".

If "dristi" could hurt, how is people like Ambani, Shah Rukh Khan, etc are still surviving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back