• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

is it ok to perform sandhyavandanam when there is death in the family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A close relative passed away and i am getting conflicting instructions on whether I can perform sandhayvandanam during these 12 or 13 days. I heard instructions ranging from "no its not ok until the purification ceremony is done" to "one should always do sandhayavandanam since its nitya karma"
I am confused now as to what is right and what is wrong. Appreciate if someone here can offer guidance. thank you.

you have to do sandhyavandhanam . this is like your meals. do gayathri japam ten times in the morning, noon and evening, for these theetu days.

is it recommended to do only gayatri japam? i.e. no need for arghyam, pranayamam & upastham?
appreciate if you can please clarify. also, why only gayathri japam 10 times? cant we do 108 during these days? thanks again.

I also had similar doubt and asked a sastrigal. He opined one should do sandyavandanam even when the dead body is still at home. Whether it makes practical sense is another matter.

Even if the dead body is there in your house you have to do sandhya vandhanam as usual and gayathri japam .as usual instead of doing 108 you have to do only ten. gayatri japam .as usual three times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back